Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never getting responses from Daft/Rent

Options
  • 10-06-2021 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I am currently looking at renting. Despite messaging countless different ads on daft/rent, I have gotten a bare handful of responses. I check it daily, so usually message just as they are advertised. I include my name, profession, no kids/pets, non smoker, renting with one other, late 20s. Is there anything else I can include to increase likelihood of a response?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

I am currently looking at renting. Despite messaging countless different ads on daft/rent, I have gotten a bare handful of responses. I check it daily, so usually message just as they are advertised. I include my name, profession, no kids/pets, non smoker, renting with one other, late 20s. Is there anything else I can include to increase likelihood of a response?

Say you have references ready, deposit & first month's rent, that you can view anytime, and that you can move in immediately. If there's a phone number, call it.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

Yeah definitely include the info re references and deposit. Make sure you have a little pack ready to go. Checking daily probably isnt sufficient - set up an alert and contact once advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

You can set up an alert for rentals that meet your criteria re. price, beds, area etc. That way you can have a message written out and saved on your phone/computer and message them as soon as the ad goes up. I know somebody who lets out an apartment and they often get hundreds of emails within the first few hours (this was pre-Covid) so they just read until they have a few they think are decent and invite those to view. No way they could respond to them all. I let out an apartment during level 5 and we got much fewer responses but I'd say they could be up again now.

The point about references etc. is also important. Make sure to include info about yourself and your friend renting with you. Also the landlord probably wants tenants that won't cause problems so if you're quiet, neat, etc., you can say that too. And I'd be very clear that there will only be two of you living there. It's not uncommon for two people to rent a 2-bed as if there are only two of them and then move in partners so that there are actually 4 living there, which for the landlord means twice as much wear and tear on the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

OP. Also where you a living , why you are moving. As when you can view.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

I found a lot of ads are left up after viewings have been arranged or the let has been agreed. It's best to sort by date added and apply to the ones added in recent days.

The date entered/renewed at the bottom of the page can be helpful too. If it's been renewed in the last couple of days there's a higher chance that they're still actively looking for applicants. If it hasn't been renewed in a couple of weeks, chances are they've found tenants already.

It sounds like you're including a good bit of info but generally including salary is important. At the end of the day, the landlord is interested in your ability to pay the rent above all else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

What are you looking for OP and where?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Also include that you have a permanent, full time job if you can. If the job title implies a good salary then no need to mention it.

I nearly always got replies to properties when I messaged.

Typical structure was;

Dear [],

I would like to enquire about the property advertised in order to set up a viewing on behalf of myself and my partner, with the intention of taking on the lease if all goes well. [one line why it is suitable for me].

By way of brief background about me/us, [job title, permanent, no pets, currently living in X, type of property it is and rent we pay]. Happy to provide more info as required (including references).

Available to view anytime and move in ASAP. I look forward to hearing from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭sharpish

Have a prepared paragraph about yourself and send it as soon as your get the alert. ( people take the ads down when they get enough responses and then go through them )

Be direct, and it is worse than job applications. Your first line should get you into the maybe pile and then get to the waffle.

for a landlord, maybe something like:

Hi there. ( if you know their name, use it)

We are 2 working professionals in our late 20's from ( insert county/country) working in the ( insert industry/profession ) with all the necessary references, deposit, and your property would be ideal for us.

We are two friends renting together for x number of years. We have no pets, both non-smokers and live a quiet life. Working long hours as we in the early stages of our careers and both ambitious. We've rented recently for x number of months/years, and we are moving due to ( or we've moved to Dublin for permanent full-time jobs)

I look forward to hearing from you.

Name + phone number

You can add more, but I think the first line is key to grab their attention and get into the maybe pile.

For houseshares, it's completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Also offer to pay a couple of months in advance/pay a larger deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Emma2019

Jesus christ. Are we getting to the stage where you have to disclose salary?

Also paying extra in advance or larger deposits is also insane! That really should be illegal. Along with "non refundable booking deposits"

OP I think previous advice about sorting by new and saying you have first month's rent and deposit available plus being near and no pets/ kids should be sufficient

• Advertisement

Emma2019 wrote: »

Also paying extra in advance or larger deposits is also insane! That really should be illegal. Along with "non refundable booking deposits"

OP I think previous advice about sorting by new and saying you have first month's rent and deposit available plus being near and no pets/ kids should be sufficient

What you list in the last paragraph is the minimum requirement, and does not make the op more appealing than other applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

I believe there is legislation coming where the max deposit allowable will be 2 months. But for some renters, a years deposit wouldn't be enough. I seen what a lazy ****er did to a house being rented out by a family member... that bad an industrial sized skip had to be hired to get rid of the waste... nieve on the landlords part but still an utter disgrace that anyone would leave a house in that state. Some people have no pride in themselves... perennial life loosers. Also stopped paying rent after loosing his job despite HAP because he couldn't be arsed finding out about it.

And well one could say it was an isolated incident but I'll be honest, if I had a house to rent, I'd want to know what the renter had for dinner.

I believe there is legislation coming where the max deposit allowable will be 2 months. But for some renters, a years deposit wouldn't be enough. I seen what a lazy ****er did to a house being rented out by a family member... that bad an industrial sized skip had to be hired to get rid of the waste... nieve on the landlords part but still an utter disgrace that anyone would leave a house in that state. Some people have no pride in themselves... perennial life loosers. Also stopped paying rent after loosing his job despite HAP because he couldn't be arsed finding out about it.

And well one could say it was an isolated incident but I'll be honest, if I had a house to rent, I'd want to know what the renter had for dinner.

Not sure the legislation has been enacted yet, but my understanding is that it will prohibit LLs from requesting/requiring larger deposits/more than one months rent in advance, it does not though prohibit an applicant from offering it. I am open to correction on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Make sure you put an email address as well as your phone number.
    Some landlords like to whittle down the list via email before calling the people left at the top of their list.
    The reason the answers stop is that landlords are afraid to say anything now due to the high risk of getting brought to court on some discrimination thing. So they say as little as possible.
    Therefore you should give as much info as possible, so they dont have to get back to you to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

I certainly don't agree with it but it does seem to be where we are. I applied to various places at the start of March and then again in early April using two slightly different copy and pastes. The one in April got more responses and the only difference really was that our salaries were included.

I'm dead against this "give me every last detail including your DNA" mentality that some LL's have but I included the salary on the basis that we're on a decent enough joint salary and it'd probably give us an advantage over others applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Jmc25 wrote: »
    I certainly don't agree with it but it does seem to be where we are. I applied to various places at the start of March and then again in early April using two slightly different copy and pastes. The one in April got more responses and the only difference really was that our salaries were included.

I'm dead against this "give me every last detail including your DNA" mentality that some LL's have but I included the salary on the basis that we're on a decent enough joint salary and it'd probably give us an advantage over others applying.

Also landlords could give more info.
    I spent a while looking last year and the amount that I only found out were 6 month lets and then I would have to move out was very annoying.
    But to only find this out after getting on the "shortlist" was even more annoying.
    The problem in Ireland is a lease does not mean a lease, so no point anyone stating the terms or signing one. So a lot of detail is left out of the ad and first contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

It's getting to the stage where renting will be like taking out any loan, the provider will want as much information as possible before handing over keys including employment information & ability to pay.

Imo if the one month deposit is a new regulation then almost everything will be unfurnished with only the white goods supplied.

It's getting to the stage where renting will be like taking out any loan, the provider will want as much information as possible before handing over keys including employment information & ability to pay.

Imo if the one month deposit is a new regulation then almost everything will be unfurnished with only the white goods supplied.

Should it be any other way? The tenant is getting the benefit of an asset worth hundreds of thousands.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Should it be any other way? The tenant is getting the benefit of an asset worth hundreds of thousands.

Agree but that's not the way it has been here compared to other countires. Tenants are used to walking into a fully furnished house with relatively basic checks by the landlord.

From what I've read the regulations expect landlords to make sure the property is safe in terms of electrics, gas, ventilation & structure, the only thing landlord has to provide over and above what the builder provides is white goods.

If renting goes the same way as in other countries then tenants can expect a shell that is freshly painted & will have to return it freshly painted or pay for that outside of the rent. Anything else furniture, floor & window coverings, they will provide themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

The way it should be. Try evicting someone who decides to stop paying their rent for whatever reason & you'd know all about it. We're too soft on renters in this country. This nonsence is not tolerated in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭LittleBrick

Just heard back from one apartment. Before giving a viewing, they wanted:

- 3 months of bank statements for both people that would be renting.
    - Work and landlord reference for both.
    - PPS numbers.
    - Photo identification.
    - Utility bills.

I can't be the only one that thinks this is overkill for a mere viewing?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

- PPS numbers.
    - Photo identification.
    - Utility bills.

I got this request for a viewing pre-COVID. Looked like a small time landlord and it came across as extremely unprofessional. Made me wonder what kind of landlord they’d be. I ran a mile even though I was under a little time pressure to find somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

- PPS numbers.
    - Photo identification.
    - Utility bills.

The DPC agree with you. No problem asking this of the person you're potentially offering it to, but not for a viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Jmc25 wrote: »

It works both ways. I would only enquire with a management company when seeking a rental and never direct with an individual landlord, for a similar reason that I have my own needs and boundaries that experience has taught me individual landlords tend not to respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

- PPS numbers.
    - Photo identification.
    - Utility bills.

What would be thr value of that apartment? Its common in most countries to provide financial information to ensure the renter can pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭wench

As mentioned above, the DPC has previously ruled such overreach as excessive.
    You can see their case study here (p5), which is almost identical to what you're being asked for

https://www.dataprotection.ie/sites/default/files/uploads/2019-07/190710%20Requesting%20Personal%20Data%20from%20Prospective%20Tenants.pdf

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

What would be thr value of that apartment? Its common in most countries to provide financial information to ensure the renter can pay.

Data protection laws apply regardless of the value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭meijin

- PPS numbers.
    - Photo identification.
    - Utility bills.

Do they want it all sent by email? Before you even see the place?

Well... that's one way to do identity theft. They can then easily pretend to be you with all that paperwork.

Is it at least some know agency, or just a random person?

What information can a landlord ask for upfront? Is there some reason that a pps number is required e.g. to make sure the person is legally in the country or something?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

What information can a landlord ask for upfront? Is there some reason that a pps number is required e.g. to make sure the person is legally in the country or something?

The PPSN is required to register a tenancy.

It would follow that it's appropriate to ask for this when the chosen tenant has been offered the tenancy and the offer has been accepted. This would align with the GDPR principles of purpose limitation and data minimisation.

Advertisement