Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Never getting responses from Daft/Rent

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Graham wrote: »
    The PPSN is required to register a tenancy.

It would follow that it's appropriate to ask for this when the chosen tenant has been offered the tenancy and the offer has been accepted.

How does a landlord whittle down dozens of emails from interested people? It sounds a bit like job applications, people are expected to provide all the relevant information to make the short list.

In the case of renting its financial information, job security, renting history etc. Anyone job hunting or house hunting has to do what's necessary.

People hand over huge amounts of information to banks for small loans or to garages for car financing without any problems. And anyone who has a mortgage knows what that entails.

A landlord is handing over possession of something worth hundreds of thousands so it's understandable that they want details of who they will consider.

Residential letting is becoming more like commercial letting IMO, business people know the hoops they need to go through to secure a premises. IMO landlords & tenants will be signing contracts/leases through a solicitor & not just a lease drawn up by a letting agent or downloaded from the internet. That's probably more professional as both parties are aware of what they signed up to and solicitors make sure everything is ok.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

How does a landlord whittle down dozens of emails from interested people?

Pick names out of a hat, arrange multiple viewings. It's not that complicated

As a prospective tenant I certainly wouldn't entertain providing financial information just to view a property to decide whether I'm even interested in pursuing a tenancy.
    A landlord is handing over possession of something worth hundreds of thousands so it's understandable that they want details of who they will consider.

Not at the point of arranging viewings they're not.
    In the case of renting its financial information, job security, renting history etc. Anyone job hunting or house hunting has to do what's necessary.

People hand over huge amounts of information to banks for small loans or to garages for car financing without any problems. And anyone who has a mortgage knows what that entails.

DPC guidance is quite clear on this. Additional/further information including references/financials can be asked of the preferred/potential tenant.

What is also clear is it's not appropriate for a landlord to ask multiple potential tenants for excessive personal data to make their decision making easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Graham wrote: »
    Pick names out of a hat, arrange multiple viewings. It's not that complicated

As a prospective tenant I certainly wouldn't entertain providing financial information just to view a property to decide whether I'm even interested in pursuing a tenancy.

Not at the point of arranging viewings they're not.

DPC guidance is quite clear on this. Additional/further information including references/financials can be asked of the preferred/potential tenant.

What is also clear is it's not appropriate for a landlord to ask multiple potential tenants for excessive personal data to make their decision making easier.

Agree it shouldn't be excessive that's why I asked what information can a landlord ask for? I've seen recently that EA's will not arrange viewings for buyers without proof of the mortgage loan amount which seems ott.

Not sure if picking names out of a hat is a good way but I'm not a landlord.

Is renting not similar to applying for a job though? Employers get multiple applications for jobs, they have a list of requirements & they short-list their preferred candidates who have freely provided relevant information. Employers have similar responsibilities regarding gdpr, equality & non discrimination but are allowed to select the most suitable candidate. Why can landlords not use similar methods to select a tenant for their property

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Agree it shouldn't be excessive that's why I asked what information can a landlord ask for? I've seen recently that EA's will not arrange viewings for buyers without proof of the mortgage loan amount which seems ott.

Is renting not similar to applying for a job though? Employers get multiple applications for jobs, they have a list of requirements & they short-list their preferred candidates who have freely provided relevant information. Employers have similar responsibilities regarding gdpr, equality & non discrimination but are allowed to select the most suitable candidate. Why can landlords not use similar methods to select a tenant for their property

Because there is an enormous difference between employing someone who you can let go if they do not do what they are contracted to do, and a tenant who you cannot remove if they do not do what they are contracted to do.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I agree it's OTT and I have no doubt it would not pass consideration by the DPC.

If a landlord is unable to narrow down his selection without excessive data he/she is free to show the property to all applicants
    Is renting not similar to applying for a job though?y

I can't speak much to DPC requirements for job applicants.

Not that it would make a difference, unambiguous guidance already exists for landlords/agencies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

After viewing interested parties are asked to provide refs, banking and jobstatus contract information
    But to skip to the top of the Q, initial email could include this with a move in date and reason for moving to the area, ie on a bus route

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

agoodpunt wrote: »
    After viewing interested parties are asked to provide refs, banking and jobstatus contract information
    But to skip to the top of the Q, initial email could include this with a move in date and reason for moving to the area, ie on a bus route

I found when I was looking i got no responses, and then when i started including work and previous LL references and job details and some info about myself etc on the initial email I got a response to every one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭B Rabbit

A friend sent me this a few months ago as a joke as it reflected the dire situation we're in with regards to housing.

No idea if it's of any use

https://johhnyt.gumroad.com/l/househuntingemailtemplateireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DubCount

This thread is a great advert for Landlords to leave the market.

After forking out thousands of Euro on a property, you have the data protection stasi preventing you from collecting information necessary to assess prospective tenants in terms of their ability to pay or track record etc. Thats before you even get to register with the tenant-loving RTB.

Anyway, for OP. Time is critical in your response. I was with someone recently who had an add for a room on Daft. He received almost 200 emails in the first hour of the add being up. Assuming a LL will want maybe 4/5 viewings, most will start at the top and stop when they have short listed to about 10. Replying the next morning is pointless - the viewings are already decided before you reply. Have a template email ready which is short and sells yourself as a tenant, and be ready to reply immediately you get a notification of something you may want.

Good luck. Maybe if we eased off on the over-regulation of the rental market, we might have more rentals for people to find accommodation.

As a LL my advice is to get your e-mail in early, I get more applications than I can process when I list a property. I'll often check back a few hours after listing and make a shortlist from this. When I have a sufficient short list I generally don't check any more e-mails. I generally receive 300+ e-mails on the day of listing, I whittle this down to 10. Generally the e-mails that provide the most detail and a little personal background get added to the shortlist. While I wouldn't request proof of funds and references for a viewing it is information that the landlord will require to selection make a selection. The PPS number is not required until signing the contract, but its probably important that the landlord knows you have one. I find at the minute there is such a demand that rentals are not reaching the market, people often ask when they become available to let them know, so its no harm asking at work if anybody has a rental property.

• Advertisement
Advertisement