Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ebay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭forumdedum

I’ve only ever sold 2 items on eBay. One of them to UK. Went to an post and they asked me about value for customs. I hadn’t thought about this. Does the UK buyer have to pay any charges or am I involved? Thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Yes they will have to pay VAT, charges and duty if applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 havana21

I think they have to pay any charges when they receive the item

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Mr321

Did you find out if Revolute or any other method works? I use to sell the odd item in ebay but I'm not to pushed on giving them bank account details.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Hi

I bought two things on eBay and my total is now coming in higher.

The items were bought for EUR 64.95 and EUR 44.50

I was expecting to pay that plus 15 euro postage. So 125 total.

But its ... Items (2) EUR 134.63 Postage EUR 18.39 Order total EUR 153.02

Heres the chat with Ebay

me15:23 PM

hi my total seems incorrect thanks

me15:23 PM

Items (2) EUR 134.63 Postage EUR 18.39 Order total EUR 153.02

ebay15:24 PM

Welcome to eBay Live Help, This is ebay. I will be glad to assist you.

Hello me

Could you please elaborate the issue so that I can help you quickly?

me15:24 PM

Hi ebay

I am trying to pay

The total is incorrect

me15:25 PM

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/265123726510 https://www.ebay.ie/itm/353456383567

ebay15:25 PM

I am so sorry to learn that you are facing difficulty while paying,Please do not worry, I will try my best to assist you.

me15:25 PM

thanks

ebay15:26 PM

May I know what is the exact amount showing?

ebay15:28 PM

It’s been a while since I’ve heard from you, I’m just checking to see if we’re still connected?

me15:28 PM

Items (2) EUR 134.63 Postage EUR 18.39 Order total EUR 153.02

ebay15:28 PM

Thanks for your confirmation.

me15:29 PM

np

ebay15:29 PM

Glad that we are connected,Please do not worry, I will try my best to assist you.

ebay15:29 PM

There is no need to worry. I checked the details and the item location is Spain and the seller is also from Spain.

me15:30 PM

ok

ebay15:30 PM

As per country's taxations laws - Effective 1 January 2021, there will be significant changes to VAT on imports into the Ireland, as well as goods sold within the Ireland by non-Ireland sellers.

ebay15:31 PM

As part of this change, eBay will begin to collect and remit VAT on consignments (goods) imported into the Ireland and sold to consumers, up to a value of GBP £135. eBay will then pay (remit) this VAT amount to the tax authorities (Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs) on behalf of the seller.

ebay15:31 PM

This also applies to non-Ireland business sellers where their inventory is located in the Ireland for shipping to Ireland customers (e.g. Seller who is located in China and has a warehouse in the Ireland). There is no threshold for such sales

me15:32 PM

Im sorry this is the first I've heard of this ...

ebay15:32 PM

As the seller is non Ireland or non UK , you have been charged VAT. Please note: The consignment value is based on the price of item(s) and does not include postage/shipping costs. However when charging VAT to the buyer, VAT is applied on the item and shipping price.

Please do not be sorry,You can surely check with your tax advisor or HMRC directly if you need more clarification or information regarding VAT.

HMRC site:

https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/customs-international-trade-and-excise-enquiries

me15:33 PM

You do know that Ireland is not part of the UL

me15:33 PM

UK

ebay15:33 PM

No worries, you can cancel the orders and In order to cancel the order, you need to inform the seller about it and then you can buy similar item from Ireland sellers.

ebay15:34 PM

Yes I understand your points but Ireland is different country and Spain is different so Ireland government charged taxes on goods bought from outside teh country

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Over 41k per sales per year into Ireland they have to charge Irish VAT. So if VAT in Spain is 18% and Ireland is 21% the price will rise.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

The ebay bot is talking nonsense, but the price is correct. The ebay listing says the items are coming from the Canary Islands which, while part of Spain, are outside the EU VAT zone. So, ebay are correct to add Irish VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Hi,

A buyer from usa bought an item I was selling on ebay. I have paid UPS to deliver it. They want me to fill out a commercial invoice. The invoice requires quite a lot of information including vat/tax ID.

I wouldn't have that as not a business. It was just a personal sale.

Do I leave that section blank?

thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

UPS give you a template to fill out to send with it. Leave out the VAT number etc if you don't have one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Phil1969

I am trying to save money on exchange rates (from euros to sterling) when buying stuff from Ebay Uk, If I pay using Paypal exchange rates, it costs me a fortune and if I convert using my AIB bank account, it still costs me a fair bit.

I was thinking of using a WISE debit card and connecting to my Ebay but it seems Ebay do not accept them.

I am hoping someone knows an easy way to do this but it seems Ebay and Paypal will only let you pay in your local currency.

Any advice appreciated.

You can change currency balance on PayPal via logging in on desktop browser.

Thanks for the reply but unfortunately that does not let me deposit GB Pounds into my account.

Thanks for the reply, I can see that would help with the fees.

Don't mean to jump in on the OPs question but do you know if the likes of Revoult would work with selling on ebay given their new rules that PayPal no longer works for selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,882 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

So I want to buy an item, on Ebay UK, for €230. My three options are

Get the seller to post via eBay global shipping, duty & taxes Prepaid.

Get the seller to just post via normal mail.

Use AddressPal.

What's likely to be the best choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,628 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Option #4: get it sent to a friend/family member up North and collect from them. :-)

Mod : Option no 5 joujoujou reads the charter before they post here again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Buying an item from a private seller on ebay, its £24. eBay added VAT on and I paid that. But now Im wondering am I likely to get hit for more VAT when it arrives? The seller is just posting it regular Royal Mail and there is not likely to be a customs declaration or Taric code on the package. Like how does Customs here know I have paid VAT already? Is it on the ebay label the seller prints out or something?

They should have the declaration on it that they have paid Irish VAT by using an IOSS number. Don't count on them having done it, though.

Do you know how that works on the sellers end, like do ebay send them an email prompting them to do it?

And with the IOSS number can I use this to apply to Revenue for a VAT refund or is it just tough cookie becasue the number wasnt on the package to begin with

I don't know how it works with eBay. You can't claim the Irish VAT back unless you'e registered for VAT.

cheers thanks. Will try to see if I can get it back off ebay in the event it is charged here

• Registered Users Posts: 35,993 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Who the hell is

eBay GmbH

Albert-Einstein-Ring 2-6

14532 Kleinmachnow

Germany

Registered Court: District Court Potsdam

Company Reg. Number: HRB 13754 P

Managing Director: Oliver Klinck

VAT ID: DE200081785

Why would that be on my order details for an ebay purchase from UK seller /company

Also see below, all in pounds, yet they charged vat, and at 23%, which is an Irish rate of vat, not UK, which is 20%. All so confusing

• Registered Users Posts: 35,993 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Did they already take the vat payment for Ireland? SO that means none is due for me to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭deezell

Your purchase was handled through EU ebay, you choose to pay in £ I assume, and they correctly added Irish Vat, so as long as the source is Ebay Germany, you should be sound. See the small print where Ebay is deemed the reseller, so you didn't buy from the seller, who might well be in the UK. I assume the price pre vat is correct, the price on ebay UK less their vat.

Not jumping away from the OP but when your buying from ebay UK is the postage price listed correct usually or do you have to contact seller?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Luckylow10

Question For anyone who has purchased from an international EBay business seller (based outside of the EU) recently. I’m bit unsure as the process seems to have changed. ( I remember always having to pay the courier extra vat and customs charges).

but now, I am making a purchase from a US registered store shipping from Japan. The price is usd156.40 with free shipping. When I go to checkout it increases to usd192.37 with no explanation as to what the increase is. it would indicate the Irish VAT of 23% is being added automatically by eBay. it has small print saying no additional custom charges will apply. It’s being shipped by fedex.

So is this a new thing now eBay are including the vat same as Amazon?this purchase isn’t part of the global shipping programme.

(The sellers listing has stated that the buyer must pay customs and vat themselves in the relevant country)

Advertisement