Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming router

Options
  • 10-06-2021 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

I am hoping some of the knowledgeable folk from here will be able to give me a steer. I'm experiencing sub optimal network performance while playing online (packet loss etc.). I have too many people also streaming or gaming while I'm on and trying to figure out my options.
    If its useful, this is the situation:
    Virgin 1 gig broadband with 10m cat6 connected to ps4 getting moderate NAT Type and orange boxes (indicating packet loss) while playing Warzone. There are multiple other users on at the same time (hard wired Gaming PC, another wired in PS4, Xbox on wifi not to mention the many other laptops, tablets and phones connected to wifi with a few probably streaming Netflix/Twich/YouTube).
    I want to be able to prioritise my connection over all others even if it means a poorer connection for them. What are my best options here. If you've read this far then thank you!

And FYI I have done some port forwarding to try resolve the NAT Type which it has somewhat.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Before doing anything else I'd try swapping out your ethernet cable or at least testing your connection when nobody else is on.

If that isn't it then with in theory 1gbit/s down and 50mbit/s up I'm wildly guessing the only way the link is actually saturated is if people are torrenting in which case you might just be able to get them to just cap their torrent rates or only run it at "off peak" hours to solve your problem.

Otherwise you are into setting up a router between everyone and the virgin box as I don't believe it has any QoS options.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

minitrue wrote: »
    Before doing anything else I'd try swapping out your ethernet cable or at least testing your connection when nobody else is on.

If that isn't it then with in theory 1gbit/s down and 50mbit/s up I'm wildly guessing the only way the link is actually saturated is if people are torrenting in which case you might just be able to get them to just cap their torrent rates or only run it at "off peak" hours to solve your problem.

Otherwise you are into setting up a router between everyone and the virgin box as I don't believe it has any QoS options.

Thanks for that.
    Yes a router is what I'm looking at tbh. One that has a customizable QoS, maybe MU-MIMO and it sounds great but not sure how useful geo filtering is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭BArra

do you need AX wifi also?

check out below asus, which i think all have qos functions

AX86U
    AX82U
    AX68U
    AX58U

they also do rog themed with more gamer related software built in

lastly, netgear do netduma based routers which again heavilly gamer focused

BArra wrote: »
    do you need AX wifi also?

check out below asus, which i think all have qos functions

AX86U
    AX82U
    AX68U
    AX58U

they also do rog themed with more gamer related software built in

lastly, netgear do netduma based routers which again heavilly gamer focused

Thanks a mil. I dont think I need ax wifi as I have no issues with the wifi as is so not sure I would see much benefit really (but please sell it to me :) )
    I am currently looking at a Asus GT-AC5300 ROG Rapture Gaming Router for circa €120 from Amazon Warehouse which seems a good price and has some possibly useful bells and whistles. Anyone have one of these or similar and care to share thoughts?
    Thanks again.

Actually is there a clear winner out of this lot

Nighthawk Pro Gaming WLAN Router (XR500), AC2600 - €130
    NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200 - €103
    ASUS WiFi-6 AX5400 DB Mesh - €140
    Asus GT-AC5300 ROG Rapture Gaming - €120
    Other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

MRTULES wrote: »
    Other?

It sounds like your engineering a solution to a problem you haven't identified yet. Could just be a bad connection at times into the Warzone servers in the internet.

You said that other people in the house play games on the same connection. Do they also get packetloss at the same time?

Assuming nobody is torrenting files, its really unlikely that your hardwired connection into a 1000/50 line is bandwidth limited for streaming/gaming.

Advertisement