Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend a mid range android phone?

Options
  • 10-06-2021 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

I need to get two new android phones so looking for mid range spend recommendations please. I need to get them unlocked for Tesco PAYG. My criteria would be :

Reliablility
    New enough model to get updates for at least another 3 years
    Earphone jack
    128 GB memory at least
    Good battery
    OK camera
    Some degree of water resistance (not fully waterproof but can put up with a drop of rain unlike one we had recently!)

I'd like if one of the phones I get had a smaller screen as I'm not mad about huge screens but the other phone can be large.

Thanks

Comments

OnePlus announced the Nord CE 5g today. €329 on their website fully unlocked. Seems like a good solid midranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

I need to get two new android phones so looking for mid range spend recommendations please. I need to get them unlocked for Tesco PAYG. My criteria would be :

Reliablility
    New enough model to get updates for at least another 3 years
    Earphone jack
    128 GB memory at least
    Good battery
    OK camera
    Some degree of water resistance (not fully waterproof but can put up with a drop of rain unlike one we had recently!)

I'd like if one of the phones I get had a smaller screen as I'm not mad about huge screens but the other phone can be large.

Thanks

Xaoimi Poco X3?

Unlocked
    6Gb Ram/128gb Storage.
    2400 x 1080 FHD+ 120hz screen
    5160mAh battery
    Has 3.5m jack
    Water&Dust Resistance - Supports IP53 splash-proof protection
    £209

I have one of these, battery is good for two days of above-average use on a single charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Realme 8 or 7 or 6. Great brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

Jacksie66. wrote: »
    OnePlus announced the Nord CE 5g today. €329 on their website fully unlocked. Seems like a good solid midranger.

Is this available to buy now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I cannot recommend the mi note 10 phone highly enough. There's a few versions of it i have the lite one.
    Great battery fast charging 128gb earphone Jack nfc
    Great phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,384 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

The €329 version is available to order now and should ship in the next week or so.
    There is a €399 version (with additional RAM and storage) should be available to order by the end of the month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

The €329 version is available to order now and should ship in the next week or so.
    There is a €399 version (with additional RAM and storage) should be available to order by the end of the month.

I'll have to do abit more research on the Nord CE, I will wait for a review from a few sites to see what the camera is like before making decision over Poco F3, the F3 annoyingly has a very average camera. If the Nord CE has a better camera review then I'll buy that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Jacksie66. wrote: »

I'm presuming this is unlocked to any network. I'm with Three on Sim only contract

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

Why is no one mentioning the Pixel 4A 5G

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/google/pixel-4a-5g.html?gallery=payg

EVERYONE says pixels have the best cameras (this is the same as the dearer Pixel 5)

Mine arrived today and so far so good (waiting on a case to go out into the wild)

Whatever you want to ask me go ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

But is this unlocked?

• Advertisement

johnayo wrote: »
    But is this unlocked?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Redmi notes are great. I'm on my second after I dropped the first in the toilet. Long long battery, loads of storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

And the Redmi Note 10 5g is on special for €99 at Vodafone, unlocked.

And the Redmi Note 10 5g is on special for €99 at Vodafone, unlocked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpLvm0OFoTI

Camera is where some of cost cutting was done

Redmi notes are great. I'm on my second after I dropped the first in the toilet. Long long battery, loads of storage.

I said the same about my Honour play phone and its been abounded, no software update since September 2020 (stuck on android 9)

Google are meant to give three years and hopefully as a big name they will

The Pixel 4a 5g is available from Vodafone for 329 on pay as you go. It's unlocked to any network, I'm using one on Gomo

https://n.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/google/pixel-4a-5g.html?gallery=payg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

GSMarena mid range guide
    https://m.gsmarena.com/best_midrange_allrounders-review-2032.php#300

See flagship killers guide also

Advertisement