Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Saorview channels on JVC Fire TV

• 10-06-2021 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

I bought a JVC Fire TV this evening. Set up was very straight forward and I am fairly happy with my purchase as it is a bedroom tv to be used mainly for Netflix, Prime, Disney etc

However, when I ran the auto scan for channels, it found them all, but when I try actual watch them the say that the signal strength is really low.

What have I broken? :D The tv that I had in place before it had all the Irish channels tuned in perfectly and it uses the same lead.

I have UK channels through an old Manhattan Freesat box that is working fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

Can you see the UHF channels or frequencies that RTE1 & 2 are on, & compare them to another TV with a good signal?

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

Can you see the UHF channels or frequencies that RTE1 & 2 are on, & compare them to another TV with a good signal?

Have you any suggestions for how I would check this? I just ran an auto scan.

The tuning menu might be your best bet; something like 'signal information' should be in the menus somewhere.

I have used the frequency for truskmore (I'm in sligo) and I get told the signal strength is 97% but the signal quality is incredible unstable jumping from 0% to as high as 62% and back down to 0%

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

moved to terrestrial

• Advertisement

I have used the frequency for truskmore (I'm in sligo) and I get told the signal strength is 97% but the signal quality is incredible unstable jumping from 0% to as high as 62% and back down to 0%

What kind of aerial do you have? (Outdoor, attic, set-top.) The problem could even be overly high signal level for this TV.

What kind of aerial do you have? (Outdoor, attic, set-top.) The problem could even be overly high signal level for this TV.

It's outdoor. A local installer set up Saorview on the previous TV. I am thinking I may have to get him involved here. My only experience with this kind of thing was setting up my Humax 1100d for Freesat in my sitting room and that went very smoothly, so this may be past my level of expertise.

Yeah, might be no harm to get back the guy that set it up.

In the meantime, I suppose you could check the aerial cable into the TV, & its connectors, in case you disturbed something. If that seems OK, you could try weakening the signal; you more than likely won't have an attenuator, but passing it through a 2-way splitter would more than half it.

Yeah, might be no harm to get back the guy that set it up.

In the meantime, I suppose you could check the aerial cable into the TV, & its connectors, in case you disturbed something. If that seems OK, you could try weakening the signal; you more than likely won't have an attenuator, but passing it through a 2-way splitter would more than half it.

It wouldnt surpise me if I have damaged the cable somehow!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭kazoo106

I would seriously advise you to change that JVC for something better before its too late !!

It is not JVC at all, just branded as Currys have bought that brandname to use in UK / IE

Lovely looking TV's but sluggish and terrible experience

• Advertisement

kazoo106 wrote: »
    I would seriously advise you to change that JVC for something better before its too late !!

It is not JVC at all, just branded as Currys have bought that brandname to use in UK / IE

Lovely looking TV's but sluggish and terrible experience

I have already noticed that if I am being honest. I will put up with it as it is just my bedroom tv. I noticed that the built in fire is not as responsive as my firestick was.

I ended up getting the satelitte installer out (my ariels and cables were not in great shape!) and he actually said that it was like the people making the JVC fire tvs didn't bother to finish them before sending them out for sale. :D I have to love his blunt honesty.

Advertisement