Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do renters equate the ability to pay rent to mortgage eligibility?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭JizzBeans

All paid off in 3 year on a teachers salary or does the bank own it?

Relevance? Where are you going with this?

Shebean wrote: »
    It use to be the case that you could aspire to home ownership without being laughed at. The way it's working out now is that if you work hard you can aspire to paying rent to a vulture fund.
    People feel lied to maybe. Certainly left behind.

once upon a time it could be done on a single wage, you could raise a whole family too. Many from that generation have the cheek to mock those in todays situation

oh and mortgages of 12, 15 and 20 years were a thing and 25 yrs was a big one

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Whats gotta give
    Foreign holiday x2 every year
    The beauticians bill
    Weekend takeaways
    PCP cars
    Takeaway coffee bullshxt
    Asos
    Premier league 'pilgrimages' (pis$ups)
    De fags
    There's a chunky deposit to be had within 40 months for most mid earning couples out of this junk. Just sayin.

Yeah all those are the issue all right. Not the fact that rent can easily be double the cost of a mortage on a similar property.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Allinall

I would imagine "Neither" is the answer to that.

Relevance? Where are you going with this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,120 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You still own the house if you have a mortgage, the bank just have a charge on it.

That's not as much an issue now as owner occupiers have been afforded protection if they default.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

You still own the house if you have a mortgage, the bank just have a charge on it.

That's not as much an issue now as owner occupiers have been afforded protection if they default.

Yera I know how it works, but 3 years into paying a mortgage I don't think I'd be so smug as to look down my nose at those who aren't currently paying off their own mortgage - but are paying someone else's with a premium on top - like the OP does in their OP.

Stamp duty my hole

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Zaney wrote: »
    Both rents and mortgages suffer from our increasing protection of the tennant/occupier. Evictions and reposessions are next to impossible and expensive in legal fees even if they do happen. So landlords factor in a certain amount of non-payment when Settings rents and banks are unwilling to give a mortgagage to people they perceive to be a risk.

Not saying we should have lots of evictions/repossessions, just that there are consequences in the market.

Majority or renters and mortgage holders will make sure rent/mortgage is first thing paid every month. Most will continue this even if there is a temporary job loss. However, there are a few selfish morons out there who for whatever reason don’t pay what they owe. If you lose you job take a mortgage break to give yourself a chance.
    I know one family with kids who decided to stop paying their mortgage because they ‘couldn’t afford it’. Miraculously, they can still afford to change cars and go on weekends away etc. A few people have said they deserve the house be taken off them. I don’t understand how they could do this to the kids. The actions of the few can have a big effect on everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,120 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Yera I know how it works, but 3 years into paying a mortgage I don't think I'd be so smug as to look down my nose at those who aren't currently paying off their own mortgage - but are paying someone else's with a premium on top - like the OP does in their OP.

Stamp duty my hole
    No, neither would I. Nor do I see the relevance of one off payments like deposit, solicitor's fees and stamp duty.

I have a mortgage from before the madness started and I don't see why rent payments shouldn't be used as proof of ability to meet repayments on a mortgage. I can also see the difficulty in saving the deposit while simultaneously paying rent too.

Whiff of smugness off the OP to be fair.

What a lot of these people are saying, in dog whistle form, is this.

"I went to school with a lad who never did a tap of work, dropped out with barely a junior cert, while he moved from warehouse to cash in hand to warehouse I and my now missus were doing four years of business studies, a year of travel, an unpaid internship and now we both have been 5 years in Irish Life/ AIB/ Allianz Insurance/ insert "good job" name company here.

Your man from school did a bricklaying apprenticeship at some point and he and his hairdresser missus have two kids and bought a house three years ago."

Quite a lot of people were sold a lie in school. The dosser, the lad who showed up half the time, might not have even done a JC, often due to various current economics was on a much better path than the lad who was told to go to college.

The primary problem in this instance is that the corporate world has minimal union coverage and, to my knowledge, SEO minimum rates don't exist in the majority of it.

Many graduates, after 4 years, are offere an unpaid internship, or a salary that the blurb describes as competitive.

25K is not competitive. And a raise of 3 or 5% a year is not competitive either.

It's bull****, and Deco your man who dropped out would laugh at anybody who tried offering him that to sweep floors on a building site, never mind do a trade.

Excellent point, highlights the begrudgery. "Deco" should be congratulated in this instance. He put in the work and sacrifice.

I don't agree people were "sold a lie", what lie? By who? It doesn't say anywhere you have to go to college, get a degree in mickey mouse studies and then a masters, just so you can "have a better life"

Why do people have this notion that spending x years in college, then x years developing a professional career will somehow result in walking into homeownership in a location of their choice.

All these years are a massive expense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Avon8

With the 'housing crisis' really ramping up and the severe shortage of tradespeople in the country, the earnings for such tradespeople are going through the roof. It'll be like the early noughties once again for plasterers and electricians, taking in 70-90k or so won't be uncommon. Fantastic opportunity for any young person unsure of a route, and will be much more stable and sustainable than the Celtic Tiger years.

Ireland has become middle class however, and the shortage is ramped up by parents especially who couldn't imagine their offspring doing anything but going the undergraduate route.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Mackwiss

JizzBeans wrote: »
    Excellent point, highlights the begrudgery. "Deco" should be congratulated in this instance. He put in the work and sacrifice.

I don't agree people were "sold a lie", what lie? By who? It doesn't say anywhere you have to go to college, get a degree in mickey mouse studies and then a masters, just so you can "have a better life"

Why do people have this notion that spending x years in college, then x years developing a professional career will somehow result in walking into homeownership in a location of their choice.

All these years are a massive expense.

The joys of the internet is that you can create a thread like this, write a comment like this, and on top of all of this, pretend to be a homeowner teacher to try and validate your point.

Well done OP. You win the internet today. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

What a stupid post. Honestly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

In the last crash the plan was to move away from home ownership. The days of getting "a foot on the property ladder" was supposed to be over. people laughed at everyone in the 2000-2008 buying houses for stupid high prices. Everyone talking about how stupid XYZ was because the house was never worth it. People going around saying what idiot came up with 100% mortgages.

The government decided to move towards a rental system, which is in place all around Europe. Hence why large rental companies got introduced to the market .

Its now 2021, we have people paying stupid money for houses. We have people desperate to get "a foot on the property ladder". The companies brought in to buy houses and rent out are now evil empires that are wrestling homes from the hands of the Irish people. Now people asking why they can't get a mortgage, I seen someone recently ask why we can't reintroduce 100% mortgages.
    Anyone see a small problem with what is happening here?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Davrbarrystea

A common argument renters make, is that because they can afford to pay their rent regularly , they would be able to service a mortgage as it would be a similar amount. The inference being that they should somehow be eligible for a mortgage.

Another argument that renters/prospective buyers make is that "they done everything right" by going to college, getting the masters and attempting to land a higher paying job etc, etc.

Are they valid points? Its a little more complicated that points suggest I would have thought.

Because the ability to pay for housing in the form of rent - directly equates to the ability to pay for housing in the form of a mortgage.

In other words I am paying for housing so I can pay for housing.

Because the ability to pay for housing in the form of rent - directly equates to the ability to pay for housing in the form of a mortgage.

I think you are describing making monthly re-payments in this example. That does not equate to a mortgage. In any case, this is an example of my OP.

You are forgetting the fact that a "renter" is almost a seen as class position these days, being a "renter" myself I experience regular snobbery from my neighbors who pay the bank for their lodgings as opposed to little povvo me who pays a landlord.

Note the OP refers to these "renters" as people who should know their place in society as those who pay for other peoples houses and should accept not being allowed a fair shake at buying a house of their own.

You are forgetting the fact that a "renter" is almost a seen as class position these days, being a "renter" myself I experience regular snobbery from my neighbors who pay the bank for their lodgings as opposed to little povvo me who pays a landlord.

Note the OP refers to these "renters" as people who should know their place in society as those who pay for other peoples houses and should accept not being allowed a fair shake at buying a house of their own.

Hmmm, have you really experienced rent snobbery from your neighbors?? I feel like your projecting your own insecurities on this thread. You have been taking swipes at me all along. Now your resorting to slander

Hmmm, have you really experienced rent snobbery from your neighbors?? I feel like your projecting your own insecurities on this thread. You have been taking swipes at me all along. Now your resorting to slander

I have, they tell me where to park, give out to us for having pizzas delivered, constantly ask us when we are moving on, etc. etc.

I feel you took a swipe at me and other "renters" tbh.

Not sure where the slander is Jizzy - hope you don't teach english anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 989 ✭✭✭ineedeuro

I think some people want to think people have a problem with them. Why would a home owner care if you are a renter or not as long as you are a good neighbour?

• Advertisement

ineedeuro wrote: »
    I think some people want to think people have a problem with them. Why would a home owner care if you are a renter or not as long as you are a good neighbour?

Would love to know the answer to that myself, even the residents association facebook page regularly refers to 'renters' as temporary residents who should not be added to the estate watsapp group (there's about 400 houses in the estate btw)

The attitude shown by the op both in the thread title, and subsequent posting - shows a disdain for "renters"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Would love to know the answer to that myself, even the residents association facebook page regularly refers to 'renters' as temporary residents who should not be added to the estate watsapp group (there's about 400 houses in the estate btw)

The attitude shown by the op both in the thread title, and subsequent posting - shows a disdain for "renters"

A WhatsApp group with potentially hundreds of people? That policy is a blessing in disguise for renters TBH. Feck that noise.

I have, they tell me where to park, give out to us for having pizzas delivered, constantly ask us when we are moving on, etc. etc.

I feel you took a swipe at me and other "renters" tbh.

Not sure where the slander is Jizzy - hope you don't teach english anyway.

If multiple residents have issues, isn't possible your just just an unpleasant/ unsightly neighbour?? Your posts are generally smart alec-y. Are you like that in person? Do you think a quiet renting family would attract the same attitude?

Also
    OP refers to these "renters" as people who should know their place in society as those who pay for other peoples houses and should accept not being allowed a fair shake at buying a house of their own.

I made no such reference. Attributing a false statement to a person is slander is it not? Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Davrbarrystea

I think you are describing making monthly re-payments in this example. That does not equate to a mortgage. In any case, this is an example of my OP.

Yes it is an example of your OP because paying rent demonstrates the ability to make monthly repayments for housing - which is what a mortgage is. Can you explain the difference in making a monthly repayment in rent and paying a mortgage monthly Because the above make no sense at all.

How exactly? Where is the disdain? I asked a legitimate question in my OP. If there is to be a legitimate discussion around the housing crisis, then all aspects of it must be included.

An element of the of the problem is in fact a sense of entitlement and unrealistic expectations. These are just facts.

Why are you choosing to take offense here?

Yes it is an example of your OP because paying rent demonstrates the ability to make monthly repayments for housing - which is what a mortgage is. Can you explain the difference in making a monthly repayment in rent and paying a mortgage monthly Because the above make no sense at all.

A mortgage also consists of substantial savings/deposit, solicitors fees, stamp duty etc, etc. Making monthly re-payments does not reflect these elements in the eyes of the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,599 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

once upon a time it could be done on a single wage, you could raise a whole family too. Many from that generation have the cheek to mock those in todays situation

oh and mortgages of 12, 15 and 20 years were a thing and 25 yrs was a big one

So were interest rates of 13-18%, so swings and roundabouts.

Your spot on.

Deco if he qualified as en electrician at say 21 or 22 would be on about 55k these days in no time working for someone else and then doing nixers on top of that. If he works for himself hes likely earning even more.

Fintan who has a Business degree gets 2% pay rises every now and again at Big Box company X, earns less than Deco and is treated much worse but feels superior.

His day to day job involves producing TPS reports that nobody reads or can remmber asking for and he is at a loss as to how Deco who does something actually useful is earning more given he did everything right. (Likely has a Masters too).

Whats this got to do with who can or can't get a house in the present market? The op didn't specify anything about plumbers vs office workers.

If somebody can afford to make payments on very high rent he can afford a lower mortgage. Same thing.

Yes, they have to make the deposit and stamp duty, and the relatively insignificant solicitors fees, but plenty of people who can afford all of this still can't get cheaper mortgages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,493 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

A mortgage also consists of substantial savings/deposit, solicitors fees, stamp duty etc, etc. Making monthly re-payments does not reflect these elements in the eyes of the bank.

Yes, however most of these are up front costs, which could easily be made up in the difference between a monthly rental cost vs a monthly mortgage payment.

Advertisement