Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of tiling the floor

Options
  • 10-06-2021 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi,
    I'm sure this has been asked many times (the answers are old and doesn't give me a rough estimate) but I'm in the process on purchasing a new built house, sadly or well luckily, the floor tiling is an additional cost that I have to pay for. I do not have exact measurement of each room, all I know is that the house is roughly 140sqm, the bathrooms upstairs are tiled, just the rest has to be done (3 bedrooms, kitchen, living room, bathroom downstairs). Now I am wondering, what is the estimated cost for this to be done per sqm if let's say I go with wooden floor all downstairs and carpet upstairs. What am I looking at to pay? And does the price often include the cost of material or that's an separate cost? I understand it's an estimate, just great to know as it is my first time buying a house.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Himnydownunder

Alwandy wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm sure this has been asked many times (the answers are old and doesn't give me a rough estimate) but I'm in the process on purchasing a new built house, sadly or well luckily, the floor tiling is an additional cost that I have to pay for. I do not have exact measurement of each room, all I know is that the house is roughly 140sqm, the bathrooms upstairs are tiled, just the rest has to be done (3 bedrooms, kitchen, living room, bathroom downstairs). Now I am wondering, what is the estimated cost for this to be done per sqm if let's say I go with wooden floor all downstairs and carpet upstairs. What am I looking at to pay? And does the price often include the cost of material or that's an separate cost? I understand it's an estimate, just great to know as it is my first time buying a house.

I’d imagine where you are in the country will be a significant factor. If you are in Dublin it will be a lot dearer than say Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Alwandy

I’d imagine where you are in the country will be a significant factor. If you are in Dublin it will be a lot dearer than say Mayo.

Of course, I am buying in Portlaoise, would that help to give an estimate? Stuck here trying to figure it out haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Alwandy wrote: »
    Of course, I am buying in Portlaoise, would that help to give an estimate? Stuck here trying to figure it out haha

I know a lad in Tullamore qouting around €18 per square yard for laying but you still have to buy the muck

I know a lad in Tullamore qouting around €18 per square yard for laying but you still have to buy the muck

So 2160 euros for the labour, makes sense. (Assuming the ensuite and bathroom upstairs is total 40sqm, leaving me with 100 sqm left to tile). The material cost, is a bit pain in the arse I can imagine, would they not have some sort of discount etc being in the trade? Or this is something I have to front up myself and give it to the guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭20/20

Nobody tiles bedroom floors. Very cold in winter.
    Average bathroom floor is 4 Msq Average en-suite maybe 3 Msq.

• Advertisement

20/20 wrote: »

Fair point, I’m used to Scandinavian style where the floors are wooden rather carpet. So the house brochure mentioned 140 sqm, remove a couple sqm using your example, leaves me roughly 133 sqm space to tile. After thinking about it, I’d probably do full carpet upstairs, and tile downstairs. Just curious of the cost and tips. First time buying so probably an easy person to rip off hence asking here for advice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

20/20 wrote: »

Quiet popular now tiling bedroom floors over underfloor heating .
    Lovely and warm in the winter actually.

Quiet popular now tiling bedroom floors over underfloor heating .
    Lovely and warm in the winter actually.

Untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

How is it “untrue”? A thin, conductive material over heat emitters on all the time, is cold how?

How is it “untrue”? A thin, conductive material over heat emitters on all the time, is cold how?

It is untrue to say "Quiet popular now tiling bedroom floors over underfloor heating"

I am a Tiling Contractor for 36 years now and I have tiled less then 10 bedroom floors in that time, So I dont think its quite popular.

Secondly underfloor heating in Ireland would not usually be in the upstairs of a home.

I have on many occasions had heating mats installed by electricians on bathroom floors and then tiled over. So I understand how its done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement