Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Delta variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    My concern here, is about all the older people who have only one Astra dose.
    We should really get those people their second dose before relaxing restrictions.

The plan is to get all the AZ doses used for second jabs by July 19th before signing off from using it, so that's only two weeks after indoor dining etc is expected to re-open on July 5th so it'll just be a case of some people holding out for their second AZ dose having to wait a little longer to safely avail of the lifted restrictions.

Unless the Delta numbers surge in the next few weeks, which its looking like they won't in the current pattern, there probably isn't the need to keep sectors due to reopen closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

The CMO said 80% of the Delta cases are in Dublin, and said the evidence suggests it's actually slowing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Lyle wrote: »
    The plan is to get all the AZ doses used for second jabs by July 19th before signing off from using it, so that's only two weeks after indoor dining etc is expected to re-open on July 5th so it'll just be a case of some people holding out for their second AZ dose having to wait a little longer to safely avail of the lifted restrictions.

Unless the Delta numbers surge in the next few weeks, which its looking like they won't in the current pattern, there probably isn't the need to keep sectors due to reopen closed.

It seems very tightly timed. Another two weeks on the July 5 date might make a difference?
    I hope they speed up the 2nd dose of Astra. My mum (69) is waiting for it and I'm after my 2nd Moderna.
    They made a real balls of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    The CMO said 80% of the Delta cases are in Dublin

Airport?

Population?

The high amount of Indians in call centres in Dublin?

All of the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Airport?

Population?

All of the above?

Possibly because it's the most populated area in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    It seems very tightly timed. Another two weeks on the July 5 date might make a difference?
    I hope they speed up the 2nd dose of Astra. My mum (69) is waiting for it and I'm after my 2nd Moderna.
    They made a real balls of that.

It's a pain alright, my parents are the same although they've both just gotten their second dose in the last few days at least, ahead of schedule. They're condensing 9 weeks of AZ doses down into 5 weeks to get those second doses done, so by the end of July/start of August you'll have everyone who got AZ double jabbed and two weeks out and their protection will only increase from there.

It's massively damaging to keep the closed sectors closed every week that they're shut, and with all the positivity coming out of today's NPHET briefing it would cause absolute uproar if there were any more delays in reopening with the profile of cases/hospitalisations/ICU/deaths all on the downswing. The only thing that would merit it would be a sudden explosion of Delta and it just doesn't look like that's going to happen thankfully. By the time it does take off, if it is going to take off, so many people should be vaccinated that it shouldn't impact the hospitals and thats the be-all and end-all now, keeping the hospital numbers low as they try to claw back all the lost time from the last 15 months.

I was very worried about Delta the last few weeks but I'm increasingly confident we're in a good enough place to avoid it causing major issues

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Woody79 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5v0ic-um7A

Flatlined in Wales for over a week.

Hotspots close to peak.

London slowing.

Its really not that bad in many parts of mainland UK.

NI seems a bit like Wales.
    Yes, overall falling behind what you would expect for exponential growth. Though still a little early, deaths in the UK are still remaining very low and flat, and not showing the increase previous rises in cases have produced in the same timescale.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Thanks Lyle; yes, I feel the same.
    Hopefully confident we are now near the end of this mess.

I think the Delta could be really bad for other parts of the world who have not been provided with the vaccine.
    We have seen what it has done in India.

ZX7R wrote: »
    Possibly because it's the most populated area in Ireland.

I mentioned population

I'm just wondering if the other factors are in play too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Airport?

Population?

All of the above?

Most exposure to England through the airport would be the main reason IMO.

• Advertisement

Yes, overall falling behind what you would expect for exponential growth. Though still a little early, deaths in the UK are still remaining very low and flat, and not showing the increase previous rises in cases have produced in the same timescale.

If infections go through the roof and hospitalizations and deaths remain more or less flat, then this is a fantastic sign, as it means the vaccines are working and COVID becomes less and less relevant.

Fingers well and truly crossed that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 nate1984

Hi All,

I would like some advice and really not sure where to turn but hoping I can get the ball rolling here.

My wife is Immunocompromised and is about to receive her 2nd jab while I have yet to receive my first. Her condition is chronic but can be quite severe at times. I’ve read that even fully vaccinated, the vaccine won’t be 100% affective against Covid. We’ve laid low for the duration of lockdown and only leave house when necessary, taking every precaution and have been working from home like a lot of people.

I’m wondering now that society is starting to return to normal and September is most likely a realistic date I will be requested to return to the office, should I ask to remain working from Home til at least eg January as there will be a clearer picture of the impact of the vaccination and if there will be any further risks identified. And If I ask, do I have a valid case?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

nate1984 wrote: »
    Hi All,

I would like some advice and really not sure where to turn but hoping I can get the ball rolling here.

I’m wondering now that society is starting to return to normal and September is most likely a realistic date I will be requested to return to the office, should I ask to remain working from Home til at least eg January as there will be a clearer picture of the impact of the vaccination and if there will be any further risks identified. And If I ask, do I have a valid case?

Depends on your contract. If it specifies your office as your place of work then it may be difficult if your employer insists on a return to the office

And If I ask, do I have a valid case?

I've seen some helpful and knowledgeable posters in Work & Jobs before

And, if it escalates, there's Work Problems

It looks like you're not the only one who doesn't want to return

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Aegir wrote: »
    If infections go through the roof and hospitalizations and deaths remain more or less flat, then this is a fantastic sign, as it means the vaccines are working and COVID becomes less and less relevant.

Fingers well and truly crossed that is the case.
    I think we will see a slight increase in deaths although much lower than might have been expected earlier in the year. I don't think cases will go through the roof but will level off in the next few weeks. They will appear high by very recent standard but won't lead to many hospitalisations.

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    The CMO said 80% of the Delta cases are in Dublin, and said the evidence suggests it's actually slowing.

I think it will eventually become dominant, but who knows maybe we will get lucky and keep it out for a few months.

Its a race between fully vaccinating 85-90% adult population and this new variant.

Its as simple as that.

Each wave in Ireland has involved a new variant.

4th time lucky :cool:.

In any event it would be least severe wave due to season and immunity in population.

Israel currently could be the prize awaiting us by reaching the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

I'll be hung out to dry for posting this... ah well freedom of speech I guess. 👍🏽

https://www.bitchute.com/video/9Ci2jK1yFoOd/

Steve012 wrote: »
    I'll be hung out to dry for posting this... ah well freedom of speech I guess. ðŸ‘ðŸ½

And freedom to recognise the batsh*t crazy

And freedom to recognise the batsh*t crazy

I know yeah! ah well there's always 2 sides to a coin ����

You posted quickly so you didn't watch it so, so how the fck could you judge it!! ...

• Advertisement

I know yeah! ah well there's always 2 sides to a coin ����

You posted quickly so you didn't watch it so, so how the fck could you judge it!! ...

Because I have looked at what the speaker says many times already.

Since I replied I skimmed through sections. Evidently vaccine passports for Covid are going to be a permanent fixture

Because I have looked at what the speaker says many times already.

Since I replied I skimmed through sections. Evidently vaccine passports for Covid are going to be a permanent fixture

Fair enough! my bad

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Hi All,

My wife is Immunocompromised and is about to receive her 2nd jab while I have yet to receive my first. Her condition is chronic but can be quite severe at times. I’ve read that even fully vaccinated, the vaccine won’t be 100% affective against Covid. We’ve laid low for the duration of lockdown and only leave house when necessary, taking every precaution and have been working from home like a lot of people.

If your employer asks you to return you need to return. It's between you and your employer.

I would make sure to be vaccinated ASAP. In your position I'd definitely not feel right working before being fully vaccinated.

I'll be hung out to dry for posting this... ah well freedom of speech I guess. ����

I want people like you to start wearing T shirts declaring your "beliefs"

It'll make it easier for the rest of us to avoid you offline

Debunked: Claims by an ex-Pfizer employee about Covid-19 and vaccines are false and misleading

https://www.thejournal.ie/debunked-mike-yeadon-pfizer-covid-19-vaccines-5447489-May2021/

I want people like you to start wearing T shirts declaring your "beliefs"

It'll make it easier for the rest of us to avoid you offline

https://www.thejournal.ie/debunked-mike-yeadon-pfizer-covid-19-vaccines-5447489-May2021/

People like me!! 😁 👍🏽

We are all brothers and sisters on this planet.
    Free will, I only posted the video, Never said anything about believing it.

I like you reaction though. Champion 👊🏽

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'll be hung out to dry for posting this... ah well freedom of speech I guess. ðŸ‘ðŸ½

That lad is a complete lunatic. Literally one of the least credible people on the planet when it comes to covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,641 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

People like me!! 😁 👍🏽

We are all brothers and sisters on this planet.

I like you reaction though. Champion 👊🏽

Go on then, what is your opinion of the video you posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

That's called JAQing off ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭corkie

https://twitter.com/hpscireland/status/1405864628614221827

139 cases of B.1.617.2 (#Delta) (specimen dates: April 7 to May 26)
    and 120 cases infected with B.1.617.1 (#Kappa) (specimen dates: March 26 to May 27)

"In total, there have been 188 cases of Delta in Ireland now. Limited additional information has been available on them recently, due to the HSE cyber attack."

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2021/0617/1228811-delta-variant-ireland-philip-nolan/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

I think our cautious approach might prove to be the correct decision especially as Vaccines are are proving effective against the Delta variant.

Russia is seeing high numbers, vaccine hesitancy reported to be high too.

Russian authorities say the Delta coronavirus variant, first detected in India, is spearing rapidly in the country amid a resurgence of cases.

Russia confirmed more than 14,000 new infections on Thursday. That's up more than 60 percent from the end of last month.

Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said at a government task force meeting that the capital's daily tally of new cases soared from 3,000 to 7,000 in just a few days. He added this is a huge change not seen in previous waves.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20210618_05/

Advertisement