Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Delta variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

These experimental vaccines pose a greater risk to children than the actual disease. Wots your agenda with shooting up children with experimental gene therapy that are at zero risk from covid??? Do you not think it’s a bit extreme?

What I actually wrote was
    I haven't raised the issue of protecting the children, but if that's your concern then I'd suggest getting them vaccinated as soon as supplies are available and approved for their age group.

Regardless, the vaccines are not experimental, and have been approved by the EMA for children aged 12-15.

I realise that dealing with facts might be a bit tricky for someone who can't even spell their own username. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,004 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Only 2 posts on the last couple of pages about Delta Variant?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Onion Bhaji;
    another eejit who doesnt understand how vaccines are approved

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭brickster69

UK Freedom day figures

1,200,000 Tests carried out
    10,633 positives cases
    1,189,367 Negative cases
    5 Deaths ( all of which were backdated )

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Hardly supports a 4 week delay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I just picked up a cold a few days ago but I just read today that some of the Delta Variant symptoms are similar, like runny noses, headaches, coughs etc. Are people being advised to get tested if they have these symptoms?

I've been operating as if I have a normal cold but wondering if people with those symptoms should be getting tested and isolating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

VonLuck wrote: »
    Don't know if this is the right thread for this, but I just picked up a cold a few days ago but I just read today that some of the Delta Variant symptoms are similar, like runny noses, headaches, coughs etc. Are people being advised to get tested if they have these symptoms?

I've been operating as if I have a normal cold but wondering if people with those symptoms should be getting tested and isolating.

Yes get tested asap and isolate until results would be the best course of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Yes get tested asap and isolate until results would be the best course of action.

It's strange because I only noticed it by chance in BBC article and I haven't seen any official announcement. I wouldn't have any of the ones listed on the HSE app and going by that I wouldn't need testing.

Has there been any formal guidance from the HSE on this?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

It's strange because I only noticed it by chance in BBC article and I haven't seen any official announcement. I wouldn't have any of the ones listed on the HSE app and going by that I wouldn't need testing.

Has there been any formal guidance from the HSE on this?

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 36,284 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

HSE confirms that 20% of cases over the last week have been sequenced as the Delta variant and it is responsible for some large outbreaks.

It’s here so.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

FWIW I got a headcold type dose a few weeks ago, as did a friend of mine and his family, one of his kids brought it home. He's in my "bubble" so I caught it that way. I was tested and it came back negative, as was he and same result. He was told by his GP that there is a non covid bug doing the rounds and she had several such patients all negative for covid. My symptoms were a sore throat that lasted a couple of hours and was mild, followed by the more snot in my head than I thought the human body could produce. :D I didn't have headache or cough, my friend had both. The symptoms were rapid onset, woke up with them basically had a horrible day and night and the next morning the symptoms were pretty much gone. A "24 hour bug" as it were.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    HSE confirms that 20% of cases over the last week have been sequenced as the Delta variant and it is responsible for some large outbreaks.

It’s here so.

Sadly it's out of the box and may delay the indoor opening of pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

saabsaab wrote: »
    Sadly it's out of the box and may delay the indoor opening of pubs.

MHQ worked out great didn't it.

It worked. No Brazil variant or S African variants either of major consequence. Not only that the Indian variant has been slow to get or spread here until now so more are vaccinated now. Perhaps the vaccines rollout will beat its spread?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Glad you agree it succeeded with its aim of slowing the spread of the variants. Nice to see such vocal support of the policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

astrofool wrote: »
    Glad you agree it succeeded with its aim of slowing the spread of the variants. Nice to see such vocal support of the policy.

Yeah pity it didn't go the whole way and stop the delta variant.

So it really isn't that great after all.

They will always find a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭scouserstation

Wibbs wrote: »
    FWIW I got a headcold type dose a few weeks ago, as did a friend of mine and his family, one of his kids brought it home. He's in my "bubble" so I caught it that way. I was tested and it came back negative, as was he and same result. He was told by his GP that there is a non covid bug doing the rounds and she had several such patients all negative for covid. My symptoms were a sore throat that lasted a couple of hours and was mild, followed by the more snot in my head than I thought the human body could produce. :D I didn't have headache or cough, my friend had both. The symptoms were rapid onset, woke up with them basically had a horrible day and night and the next morning the symptoms were pretty much gone. A "24 hour bug" as it were.

Also pollen count has been quite high in places, a lot of people getting nasty doses of hayfever, there seems to be a lot of it going around some of the symptoms could easily be mistaken for covid symptoms

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

This guy started off similar, had his two shots, and ended up testing positive
    https://twitter.com/Tweet_Dec/status/1406556676057088000?s=19
    https://twitter.com/Tweet_Dec/status/1407052670997835780?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Well look at the UK. They added Bangladesh and Pakistan on the red list but left India off it, even though it was in a dire situation. Then they added India to the red list but it took 3 weeks for it to be implemented. In that time 20k passengers entered the UK from India unimpeded in a big rush.

That is how the delta variant took over so quickly there. And sadly our exposure to the UK has us weak to keeping it out, there's no MHQ between us and UK. Last I heard Delta accounted for 2.5% of cases in Germany. Almost 100% in UK. If the UK added India to the red list much quicker we'd all be laughing for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

5 Deaths ( all of which were backdated )

Tony and Co must be loving the HSE hack thing. For about six weeks now they have had an excuse to not tell us what they don't want us to hear- that next to nobody has died of Covid this summer.

• Advertisement

It worked. No Brazil variant or S African variants either of major consequence. Not only that the Indian variant has been slow to get or spread here until now so more are vaccinated now. Perhaps the vaccines rollout will beat its spread?

Pretty much everyone vulnerable is now double vaxxed.

Tony needs to come out and clearly tell us why we need to care about this, otherwise he should be charged with using a mass communication medium to broadcast material likely to cause distress. NPHET's psychological war on the people is about 13 months past its sell by date.

I refuse to trust a government that claims suicide rates during all of this have remained relatively static.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Untrue.

funnydoggy wrote: »
    Untrue.

My dad is 66, healthy and got his second last week via the online application.

Logically speaking virtually everybody older and frailer than him should be covered by now. Some may have requested it and slipped through the cracks, but it is rare.

I saw some lunatic on Twitter having a cry that pharmacies were giving out vaccines but she wasn't herself given a vaccine yet. She's 50 odd :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Yeah pity it didn't go the whole way and stop the delta variant.

So it really isn't that great after all.

They will always find a way.

You're flip flopping now, saying it's great for slowing down the variant spread, then saying it's not great because it didn't stop it, which you know is not the purpose of it (otherwise you wouldn't have called it great surely?).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

There’s many high risk and 60+ age group not 2nd vacced and worse they got Astra Zeneca.
    I don’t see a surge with this delta virus during the summer at least what I mean is a higher number of cases won’t lead to hospitalisation. I think for the summer we’ll be ok. But we need to keep vaccinating and we need to get 70% of people fully vacced before October, or we’ll be in trouble. I’m hopeful the vaccination program will outstrip this mutation but we must all keep our distance, wear our masks and wash our hands till then.

Tony needs to come out and clearly tell us why we need to care about this, otherwise he should be charged with using a mass communication medium to broadcast material likely to cause distress. NPHET's psychological war on the people is about 13 months past its sell by date.

I refuse to trust a government that claims suicide rates during all of this have remained relatively static.

Those that haven't jabs could catch this virulent variant and if the numbers are high enough quickly among the younger groups some will become seriously ill or worse. As for suicide from what I have seen it is down.

screamer wrote: »
    There’s many high risk and 60+ age group not 2nd vacced and worse they got Astra Zeneca.
    I don’t see a surge with this delta virus during the summer at least what I mean is a higher number of cases won’t lead to hospitalisation.

So why fear it?
    I think for the summer we’ll be ok. But we need to keep vaccinating and we need to get 70% of people fully vacced before October, or we’ll be in trouble. I’m hopeful the vaccination program will outstrip this mutation but we must all keep our distance, wear our masks and wash our hands till then.

:pac: There's just something so servile about all of that. Virtually everyone vulnerable is now protected, who is all that bollix in aid of?

Hopefully in the next few weeks we see a serious change in people refusing to wear masks on buses, trains etc. Whole thing is psychological abuse at this stage and nothing more.

I'll take the vaccine, but if I was a woman under 50 I'd be seriously cautious. We have moved from "the vaccines are safe" to it's worth the risk (nobody is quite willing to point out whether in the UK more perfectly healthy young women have died from Covid or died from the vaccine. It seems nobody wants to touch it)

Those that haven't jabs could catch this virulent variant and if the numbers are high enough quickly among the younger groups some will become seriously ill or worse. As for suicide from what I have seen it is down.

:pac::pac::pac:

My God what absolute nonsense. Young people should be dropping like flies in the UK by now so?

The government are absolutely lying if they claim suicide is down. This has been the darkest year in modern history. Most have been stripped of our friendships, relationships (in particular the ability to form new ones), our jobs, our incomes, our plans for the future, we have seen Covid related house price increases, the longest lockdown in the Western world, a ruling class that took pleasure in drip feeding us absolute garbage with not a hint of hope when the likes of the UK were promoting Freedom Day last February. 2020 into 2021 was the War on Fun, the War on Happiness. We had politicians gleefully claiming pubs could still be closed three years from now. Martin laughed at a journalist who asked for a pub re opening date, saying he must be thirsty. The abuse we suffered is unprecedented in any other country.

Of course knowing our mob some suicides were probably marked down as a Covid death.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Hopefully in the next few weeks we see a serious change in people refusing to wear masks on buses, trains etc. Whole thing is psychological abuse at this stage and nothing more.
    Being obnoxious feckers you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

They come at night, mostly. Gob****es in this case though.

Advertisement