Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Delta variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Tenger wrote: »
    Being obnoxious feckers you mean?

Refusing to be abused by NPHET.

Not one member of NPHET has come out and said why 5000 Covid cases a day here would matter if all vulnerable people are vaccinated .

Not one.

We are already seeing this in the UK, thousands and thousands of cases but barely anybody getting ill off it.

This is psychological war and nothing else. Imagine the overtime these lads have taken in the last year on this meal ticket.

Also suits the government as housing demonstrations are banned until at least the Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I know a fella who got called by contact tracing last Sunday, and got a positive diagnosis the following Tuesday he was out on Saturday night so figures he knew who gave it to him

But now I'm thinking surely the guy who he was out with had taken a PCR a day before and was awaiting results (or perhaps knew them?) on Saturday night when he went out?

Bad form!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,886 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Was in Belfast last week for a few days and been feeling pretty poor the last 48 hours or so.

Worst runny nose I've EVER had - check!
    Brutal sore throat - check!
    Occasional, but not constant, headache - check!

However, no real loss of energy, appetite etc.

Been reading a lot about Delta variant being close to cold and since I registered for vaccine at weekend, I'd rather know if I have it so did a test this afternoon.

I was feeling more sure it would be a negative result until this evening when it's hitting me harder again. Wide awake for the last few hours here so panic is setting in! :)

Other half has been in Covid ward as a nurse for the last 16 months, and we've both avoided it so far though she's been vaccinated since January.

Hoping for (not so) positive news tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Hurrache wrote: »

Not the most reassuring! I've been very conscientious over this whole thing and it'd be a shame to catch it now, right before getting vaccinated.

Going for a test this morning. Hopefully it is just a cold but no way to tell without testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭brickster69

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    HSE confirms that 20% of cases over the last week have been sequenced as the Delta variant and it is responsible for some large outbreaks.

It’s here so.

It's everywhere, only way to know how much is mass testing and sequencing.

https://twitter.com/jlspbr/status/1407289073509744640

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Has the delta variant caused a significant increase in hospitalisations and/or deaths in the UK? It has taken hold over there long enough for the data to show if it has or has not.

Also, I’ve read that one shot of the AZ vaccine is only 33% effective against the Delta variant. What does this mean exactly? Is it 33% effective against contracting the disease? Or 33% effective at stopping severe disease? I’ve read that all vaccines are essentially 100% effective at stopping hospitalisations and deaths.

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    Has the delta variant caused a significant increase in hospitalisations and/or deaths in the UK? It has taken hold over there long enough for the data to show if it has or has not.

Also, I’ve read that one shot of the AZ vaccine is only 33% effective against the Delta variant. What does this mean exactly? Is it 33% effective against contracting the disease? Or 33% effective at stopping severe disease? I’ve read that all vaccines are essentially 100% effective at stopping hospitalisations and deaths.

It's 33% effective against symptomatic illness after 1 dose but 72% against severe disease. At 2 doses it is 60% against symptomatic illness and 92% against severe disease. Bear in mind AZ is a bit of a slow burner so these figures should rise given time after dose 2. With a longer follow up period efficacy rose to 90% against Alpha.

Not really been a fan of Sky News this whole pandemic but credit where it's due this is probably the most accurate assessment of the situation in the UK so far.

https://twitter.com/fact_covid/status/1407279720618676224?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭brickster69

Probably an important stat he missed off that report was that 95% of people going into hospital come out within 24 hours.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Refusing to be abused by NPHET.

Not one member of NPHET has come out and said why 5000 Covid cases a day here would matter if all vulnerable people are vaccinated .

Not one.

We are already seeing this in the UK, thousands and thousands of cases but barely anybody getting ill off it.

This is psychological war and nothing else. Imagine the overtime these lads have taken in the last year on this meal ticket.

Also suits the government as housing demonstrations are banned until at least the Spring.

You come across as a bit of a nutter. Has anyone asked NPHET that specific question? Did they refuse to answer? All vulnerable people are not vaccinated and members of NPHET don’t get paid for being on NPHET. But you seem the type who isn’t particularly concerned with facts. A bizarre post. Maybe go back to Twitter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Scary how transmissible Delta is: "they just passed each other in the store—never came into contact."
    https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1407061226149064706?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Scary how transmissible Delta is: "they just passed each other in the store—never came into contact."
    https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1407061226149064706?s=19

That lad is known for his scaremongering

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Stheno wrote: »
    And the news people?
    Does seem a bit nuts though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

That's putting it mildly, he has made a career of out Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Oh, hes back.He had gone quiet for a while but I guess the opportunity to whip up hysteria about the Delta variant was too much to resist

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Did anyone actually look at the story? All he did was tweet a news story which reported what NSW Health are investigating.

But yeah, it's bizarrely the guy just linking to the story that's scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Did anyone actually look at the story? All he did was tweet a news story which reported what NSW Health are investigating.

But yeah, it's bizarrely the guy just linking to the story that's scaremongering.

Australia will jump on anything to make covid seem super scary and dangerous in order to justify their continued restrictions and being shut off from the world. Strange how it isn't out of control across the entire world if merely passing by someone is enough to become infected. 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Imagine thinking Eric Feigl-Ding isn't scaremongering.

The man must spend the day scouring the internet for the most negative stories he can find.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Australia will jump on anything to make covid seem super scary and dangerous in order to justify their continued restrictions and being shut off from the world. Strange how it isn't out of control across the entire world if merely passing by someone is enough to become infected. ��

Ah, goalposts moved now to who's scaremongering.

I really do believe the only ones 'scared' or think these stories are scary are the ones who do all the complaining about them. If you don't want to know something, or don't like what you're hearing or reading, there's a really simple solution available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Ah, goalposts moved now to who's scaremongering.

I really do believe the only ones 'scared' or think these stories are scary are the ones who do all the complaining about them. If you don't want to know something, or don't like what you're hearing or reading, there's a really simple solution available.
    There's nothing simple about it. Bar hiding under a rock (literally) it is very difficult to avoid Covid stories when we are bombarded with them from all angles of the media.

As for that twitter account. By any objective measure, you cannot say he isn't partial to a bit of scaremongering. I did a quick look through his timeline and struggled to find a single piece of positivity. There are plenty of good news stories out there, maybe he missed them, or simply decided not to relay them. Which do you think is more likely?

I'm not commenting on his tweet history, I don't know him and couldn't be arsed looking at his account. But the simple fact is that he just tweeted a news story from an Australian news show, the content is not his.

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »
    Was in Belfast last week for a few days and been feeling pretty poor the last 48 hours or so.

Worst runny nose I've EVER had - check!
    Brutal sore throat - check!
    Occasional, but not constant, headache - check!

However, no real loss of energy, appetite etc.

Been reading a lot about Delta variant being close to cold and since I registered for vaccine at weekend, I'd rather know if I have it so did a test this afternoon.

I was feeling more sure it would be a negative result until this evening when it's hitting me harder again. Wide awake for the last few hours here so panic is setting in! :)

Other half has been in Covid ward as a nurse for the last 16 months, and we've both avoided it so far though she's been vaccinated since January.

Hoping for (not so) positive news tomorrow.
    Thankfully came back negative.. and result came in roughly 45 minutes after the text for my vaccine appointment on Saturday..

everythings-coming-up-millhouse-simpsons-celebrating-1357994952s.gif

.. hope others waiting results have similar good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I don't know the Twitter account, but the Australian data is concerning (not "worrying", concerning).

The Australians have very extensive and detailed contact tracing, and they are seeing some spread with very minimal contact.

In the past we've had stories from people about "how they have no idea how they caught Covid and were very careful etc. etc. ", and then you read how they were popping in and out of each others houses or whatever. This Australian data is different, as it seems to show multiple cases with genuinely very little contact.

It's not the end of the world, we know vaccinations will protect against this, but it's right be careful and don't trip as we approach the finish line.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

hmmm wrote: »
    I don't know the Twitter account, but the Australian data is concerning (not "worrying", concerning).

The Australians have very extensive and detailed contact tracing, and they are seeing some spread with very minimal contact.

In the past we've had stories from people about "how they have no idea how they caught Covid and were very careful etc. etc. ", and then you read how they were popping in and out of each others houses or whatever. This Australian data is different, as it seems to show multiple cases with genuinely very little contact.

It's not the end of the world, we know vaccinations will protect against this, but it's right be careful and don't trip as we approach the finish line.

I was more commenting on the constant negativity of that twitter account

Read further down and the contact was indoors with no masks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Have you joined our new Delta Plus plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Delta Plus. €4.99p/m or €50 billed annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Basq wrote: »
    Thankfully came back negative.. and result came in roughly 45 minutes after the text for my vaccine appointment on Saturday..

everythings-coming-up-millhouse-simpsons-celebrating-1357994952s.gif

.. hope others waiting results have similar good news!

Good news. Hopefully all the cold symptoms going around at the moment are just that - colds.

How long did it take for you to get a result from your test?

VonLuck wrote: »
    How long did it take for you to get a result from your test?
    Just over 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

VonLuck wrote: »
    Good news. Hopefully all the cold symptoms going around at the moment are just that - colds.
    I believe about a fifth of common colds are in fact due to corona viruses just not The Corona Virus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Probably an important stat he missed off that report was that 95% of people going into hospital come out within 24 hours.

Linky?

Super if true

Advertisement