Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Delta variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Fairly sure it's the same as what we would call a "testing centre"

Ah ya that would make sense alright, considering the number of people involved. It's an odd way to phrase it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    UK

Attendance to an emergency care department from a total of 92,029 Delta cases

53,822 were unvaccinated
    7,235 had received two vaccine doses
    190 were admitted to hospital from two doses, with 163 aged 50+
    831 were admitted to hospital unvaccinated, 695 were aged under 50

Link?

Btw Is that a reply to my comment?

I think what the previous poster was trying to say was that fewer people overall are being hospitalised who contract the Delta variant as was the situation with regard to the previous Kent (UK) variant

I dont think the data shows that?

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    UK

Attendance to an emergency care department from a total of 92,029 Delta cases

53,822 were unvaccinated
    7,235 had received two vaccine doses
    190 were admitted to hospital from two doses, with 163 aged 50+
    831 were admitted to hospital unvaccinated, 695 were aged under 50

The 92,029 is the total number of Delta cases to date. Of those 3460 attended emergency care.

Details in this thread:

https://twitter.com/kallmemeg/status/1408348154039353346?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Ballynally wrote: »
    Well, we can go back and forth with what the data indicates and it would be quite easy to poke holes in your arguments, but you clearly have no understanding about numbers and the relationship between them from a statistical point of view. I dont blame you for your ignorance and ill leave it at that.

Suffice to say that your last line is clearly an indication of your stupidity.
    You might not agree w my view, or my logic but please do not insult me by saying it doesnt rely on it or data.
    I don't mind disagreements but i won't engage in a discussion w an unworthy opponent.
    It is actually not that easy to read data in a proper context and you need special skills for that. Most people read a graph and jump to conclusions. Or even use it to get a point across, disregarding other data that change the equation.
    Happens all the time. Most people are unaware of the complexity involved.
    Maybe i shouldnt be on this forum. It has been rather unproductive so far..

I agree not that easy to read data or understand it .
    You obviously are having difficulties but seeing as you called me stupid I won't be entertaining you anymore .
    Goodbye and happy typing ;)

Edit . Just read that you have been threadbanned .

bob mcbob wrote: »
    This article provides details on the status of Delta in Scotland where although cases rates are soaring but they are mainly among the unvaccinated young (under 30's). The hospitalisation rates are still relatively low and Scotland is still planning on re-opening in the coming months. It seems that the WHO have revised their guidelines -

The Scottish government's new strategy reflects the latest guidance from the World Health Organization (WHO) on public health and social measures to tackle Covid.
    In this document, the WHO says the focus can shift from case numbers to hospital admissions and intensive care rates in countries where the most vulnerable are fully vaccinated - a position Scotland will be in by next week, according to the first minister.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57581952

Actually while that is very interesting to read what I referred to was a study of rising hospitalisation, not cases, due to Delta variant in Scotland .
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)01358-1/fulltext&ved=2ahUKEwifkob4_bLxAhVOgVwKHXr9CWAQ0PADegQILBAB&usg=AOvVaw17Ug4ZohNd4ni8Mwd7x47x

I know it is in vaccinated and partially vaxxed people , as I have posted repeatedly .
    Point was to show that in those age groups not protected, the variant IS causing disease enough to be hospitalised which that post and poster was flatly denying was a possibility with no evidence to back up the post , just his opinion.
    Anyway don't want to discuss a threadbanned poster so will leave it there .

• Advertisement

It can be seen from the UK data is that while cases and hospitalisations are rising , happily the vaccines are working and we just need to get as many people vaccinated fully before the Delta variant takes over .

I want to make it clear that is and has been my position all along.
    My post last night was to make it clear that it is a variant of concern , as it is all over the world at the present time , with cases rising in many countries , and not just a conspiracy on the part of NPHET and the government to keep pubs and restaurants closed to indoor dining as was being claimed by a raft of posters here .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

Oh for f*ck sake. These sh*theads writing these f*cking articles in the media are getting so f*cking annoying.

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-lambda-variant-spreads-across-latin-america/a-58035249
    "We had 200 lambda infections in December," Tsukayama said. "By the end of March, it made up half of all samples taken in Lima. Now, three months later, we are looking at more than 80% of all infections nationwide. Lambda has become the dominant variant in Peru in a very short period of time."

Is 6/7 months really a "short period of time"? Delta took over in the UK in a few weeks, that's a short period of time. Once we get past Delta, unless some absolutely horrific vaccine-bypassing variant emerges from somewhere, the developed world will be grand, and we can finally stop acting like pricks and start helping out the developing world, and the people writing these fear-inducing BS articles in these rags will finally shut up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

gozunda wrote: »
    Link?

Btw Is that a reply to my comment?

I think what the previous poster was trying to say was that fewer people overall are being hospitalised who contract the Delta variant as was the situation with regard to the previous Kent (UK) variant

I dont think the data shows that?

No I didn't see your comment just posted. I read it on a different forum and I copy and pasted it. Its from public health england.

Page 13. I've attached a screen shot.

Vienna Waltz next

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,345 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

This whole thing is becoming a fookin joke! take your vaccines, open up and move on. Life is way too short for BS.

Alpha, beta, gamma, delta

Lambada

Thought i recognized Matt Hancock's bit on the side from somewhere :D

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Goldengirl wrote: »
    It can be seen from the UK data is that while cases and hospitalisations are rising , happily the vaccines are working and we just need to get as many people vaccinated fully before the Delta variant takes over .

I want to make it clear that is and has been my position all along.
    *My post last night was to make it clear that it is a variant of concern , as it is all over the world at the present time , with cases rising in many countries , and not just a conspiracy on the part of NPHET and the government to keep pubs and restaurants closed to indoor dining as was being claimed by a raft of posters here .

*Will ya get up the yard with that of commonsense and facts. We don't want that kinda thing around here ffs :mad: ;)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

NIMAN wrote: »
    I understand, but why can't fully vaccinated people travel, as they can in the rest of the EU?

We are the only member not using the digital green cert app.

Incorrect. The DCC is supposed to be live from July 1st. Members can decide to wait up to 6 weeks after this date for implemenation.
    8-10 members have the infrastructure in place to be giving them out over the last week. (national ID database linked to central medical service records helps)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

John Campbell passes one million subscribers

"Delta Goes To Europe"

Only 30% are vaxxed in France? Jaysus. I knew they were anti vax, but not to that extent

He reckons Portugal cases will be 90% Delta in 10 days time (currently at 50%)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Evidence coming out that its no as transmissible as thought and 2 dose vaccines are more effective than thought

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1408406649224589317?s=19

Re: John Campbell

Towards the end of that video he's adamant that England vs Germany next Tuesday should be cancelled as it'll be a big "seeding event" for German Delta cases when the fans go back home

But also in this report he says there were just 3 cases from a Danish stadium event this week :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Stheno wrote: »
    Evidence coming out that its no as transmissible as thought and 2 dose vaccines are more effective than thought

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1408406649224589317?s=19

I’m not on Twitter, has Paul Reid said this?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No its data from Public Health England estimating iys 40% not 60% more transmissible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Only 30% are vaxxed in France? Jaysus. I knew they were anti vax, but not to that extent

Ireland has only 30% of the total population vaccinated.

Working:
    First doses: 2,300,000
    Second doses: 1,400,000
    Janssen administered: 72,002
    Fully vaccinated: 1,472,002
    First dose awaiting second dose: 2,227,998
    Total population: 4.977m

That maybe slightly off as I've counted the Janssen's as first doses rather than second doses, it's not clear whether thejournal is doing the same.

Sources:
    Doses administered
    https://www.thejournal.ie/point-of-unease-paul-reid-coronavirus-june-2021-5476312-Jun2021/
    Janssen doses administered
    https://qap.ecdc.europa.eu/public/extensions/COVID-19/vaccine-tracker.html#distribution-tab
    Population estimate: CSO

Lumen wrote: »
    Ireland has only 30% of the total population vaccinated.

Aren't France ahead of us rollout wise though?

And didn't Martin mention a 40% figure earlier? Or was he saying 40% are half vaccinated?

And didn't Martin mention a 40% figure earlier? Or was he saying 40% are half vaccinated?

France are ahead of us in the ECDC stats but those are out of date. They're further down the age groups because of hesitancy.

Martin is probably using % of adult population fully vaccinated.

I assume the dude in that video is using total population.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

Paul Reid said today 37,000 doses was 1% of the population so over 18 must be 3.7m making it nearly 40% vaccinated

fm wrote: »
    Paul Reid said today 37,000 doses was 1% of the population so over 18 must be 3.7m making it nearly 40% vaccinated

As a rule of thumb for Ireland you can just take the adult % and x0.75 to get % total population (and /0.75 to go the other way, obvs).

Yes 3.7 million ovr 18 I think

https://twitter.com/MichealMartinTD/status/1408472454230646797?s=19

Stheno wrote: »

It's actually tricky to know the true number because the CSO uses age groups 15-19 in their population estimates, so you have to split that.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

Lumen wrote: »
    It's actually tricky to know the true number because the CSO uses age groups 15-19 in their population estimates, so you have to split that.

What do you mean? 3.7m is from 15 up?

What do you mean? 3.7m is from 15 up?

Nope. 3.7 is 18+, but the CSO don't split the age groups at that point.

Age Group Thousands
    0 - 4 years 309.5
    5 - 9 years 344.1
    10 - 14 years 350
    15 - 19 years 323.9
    20 - 24 years 307.2
    25 - 29 years 292.2
    30 - 34 years 324
    35 - 39 years 386.5
    40 - 44 years 393.7
    45 - 49 years 358.5
    50 - 54 years 316
    55 - 59 years 292.7
    60 - 64 years 258.9
    65 - 69 years 224.2
    70 - 74 years 190.8
    75 - 79 years 134.1
    80 - 84 years 89.8
    85 years and over 81.2
    All ages 4977.4

And then I get...

15+ 3973.7
    15-17 194.34
    18+ 3779.36

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Re: John Campbell

Towards the end of that video he's adamant that England vs Germany next Tuesday should be cancelled as it'll be a big "seeding event" for German Delta cases when the fans go back home

But also in this report he says there were just 3 cases from a Danish stadium event this week :confused:

Campbell is likeable and his videos are a good summation of what's in the news. He comes out with a lot of guff too though. He's been saying cases are going to skyrocket in the US since February.

Advertisement