Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Delta variant

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Campbell is likeable and his videos are a good summation of what's in the news. He comes out with a lot of guff too though. He's been saying cases are going to skyrocket in the US since February.

Yes agreed somewhat

The more his following grew the bigger his opinion became

I share his videos for the good data he presents from around the world, but he needs to rein in his own thoughts on them sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Stheno wrote: »
    Evidence coming out that its no as transmissible as thought and 2 dose vaccines are more effective than thought

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1408406649224589317?s=19

George Lee said its over 90% more transmissible. I don't know who believe, an expert or an over dramatic journalist :D

Joking aside, that's great news and kind of what I suspected. Very hard to do accurate analysis early on in terms of new variants. I suspect its not any more likely to cause hospitalisation either.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

Yeah this evening he was reveling in it the pratt

• Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Probably means 90% more than the original, UK variant was 50% more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭amandstu

MadYaker wrote: »

Yes that is what he said .90% more transmissable than the Wuhan virus.

That was pretty stark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

My 15 year old has this variant without going to too much detail it can be traced back and is delta variant. The only contact was at a outdoor event he was at for 1 hour never indoors . Yes he was unmasked and the only contact was a picture they took together other than that bar being in the same outside space had no other contact. We are all obviously in isolation even though positive his has been increased to 14 days from 10 . Originally as vaccinated I was told continue on but restrict movements . Phone call yesterday to say even though I’m fully vaccinated I now have to fully isolate also ,he is either extremely unfortunate or I s highly transmissible. I was with him so I know wasn’t indoors etc and can confirm only contact he has as I took the picture. The other person positive did nothing wrong they were not symptomatic and were traced through work the next day . My guy has been ill . High temperatures, body aches and upper respiratory and fatigue but thankfully nothing serious he won’t bounce back from fast .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

MadYaker wrote: »

Exactly. No point comparing to the Alpha variant when the current worry is Delta.
    Ireland mostly stamped out the original virus last year, then the Alpha variant arrived in droves at Xmas.

Funny how he leaves out any of the UK studies showing that the Delta variant seems to be more transmissible but doesnt seem to be any more deadly.

Edit; as I used the wrong term for the Kent variant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Tenger wrote: »
    Exactly. No point comparing to the Alpha variant when the current worry is Delta.
    Ireland mostly stamped out the Alpha variant last year, then the Beta variant arrived in drives at Xmas.

Funny how he leaves out any of the UK studies showing that the Delta variant seems to be more transmissible but doesnt seem to be any more deadly.
    You're confusing the variants
    Alpha is the Kent variant and beta is the South African variant.
    _118768483_coronavirus_variant_names-2x-nc.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

alibab wrote: »
    My 15 year old has this variant without going to too much detail it can be traced back and is delta variant. The only contact was at a outdoor event he was at for 1 hour never indoors . Yes he was unmasked and the only contact was a picture they took together other than that bar being in the same outside space had no other contact. We are all obviously in isolation even though positive his has been increased to 14 days from 10 . Originally as vaccinated I was told continue on but restrict movements . Phone call yesterday to say even though I’m fully vaccinated I now have to fully isolate also ,he is either extremely unfortunate or I s highly transmissible. I was with him so I know wasn’t indoors etc and can confirm only contact he has as I took the picture. The other person positive did nothing wrong they were not symptomatic and were traced through work the next day . My guy has been ill . High temperatures, body aches and upper respiratory and fatigue but thankfully nothing serious he won’t bounce back from fast .

Reading this is so scary. Catching it outdoors from someone not even showing symptoms. Hope he gets better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

If Delta is more transmissible outdoors, what do people think of smokers smoking outside?. Smoke can travel far when outside, surely that smoke can carry covid if someone is infected with covid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

We need to lockdown hard now! Level 6 at least!

https://twitter.com/DrTomFrieden/status/1408516620541169666

Just as fecking well the MRNA vaccines are tweakable eh?

What will AZ and Janssen takers do though? MRNA boosters?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

If Delta is more transmissible outdoors, what do people think of smokers smoking outside?. Smoke can travel far when outside, surely that smoke can carry covid if someone is infected with covid?

Smoke is just breath you can see :pac:

:pac:l
    Thought i recognized Matt Hancock's bit on the side from somewhere :D

Matt Hancock resigned this afternoon.

Inevitable really.....he was' dead man walking' last couple of weeks...... the photos/ affair were final nail in coffin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Polar101

I'll put this here since it seems to be related to the delta variant..

120 infections detected in soccer fans traveling on buses between St. Petersburg and Finland. So far at least 25 buses had people who later tested positive on them.

There were some entry requirements, such as a negative result 72 hours before travel, so it wasn't a "free for all", but infections still spread rapidly.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/thl_120_confirmed_coronavirus_infections_linked_to_st_petersburg_travel/11998464

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Polar101 wrote: »
    I'll put this here since it seems to be related to the delta variant..

120 infections detected in soccer fans traveling on buses between St. Petersburg and Finland. So far at least 25 buses had people who later tested positive on them.

There were some entry requirements, such as a negative result 72 hours before travel, so it wasn't a "free for all", but infections still spread rapidly.

https://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/thl_120_confirmed_coronavirus_infections_linked_to_st_petersburg_travel/11998464

However, good to see this, vaccines are working and will get us out of this:

https://twitter.com/laoneill111/status/1408754621405872129?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Seems he was unlucky. Get well soon

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Micky 32 wrote: »
    And they were all asymptomatic. Vaccines work.

Big time. Also it seems a lot of younger people are getting infected and most have zero symptoms, the ones that do it's akin to a bad cold or very mild flu. One of our neighbours kids have it and she thought it was hayfever until her mother brought her for test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

https://twitter.com/KarlBrophy/status/1408732275186049028?s=19

Not sure if it's been posted yet - sorry in advance if it has!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

https://twitter.com/KarlBrophy/status/1408732275186049028?s=19

Not sure if it's been posted yet - sorry in advance if it has!

Doesn’t matter. The 30% number has been planted by RTÉ and that has stuck. It’s more dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

beaz2018 wrote: »
    Doesn’t matter. The 30% number has been planted by RTÉ and that has stuck. It’s more dangerous.

I'm sure George Lee will have a new report tomorrow with the new stats. I'm sure he wouldn't want to unnecessary scare and worry people.

Australia - home to possibly the heaviest restrictions since last March in terms of keeping Covid out of the country - now has 80 cases of Delta

If they can't keep it out, what hope does anywhere else in the world?

Australia also has a low amount of people vaxxed. They took a "wait and see" approach because they were so isolated from it
    So far, just over 3% of the adult population have been fully vaccinated and about 25% of Australians have received a first dose. Government critics have argued that cities will not need to endure lockdowns again if a majority of the population is vaccinated.

Definitely a story to keep an eye on

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-57621552
    The Australian city of Sydney has gone into a two-week lockdown after a rise in the number of coronavirus cases.

More than one million people in central and eastern suburbs were already under restrictions imposed on Friday following a jump in cases.

The lockdown now covers the whole city and some surrounding areas, and is extended from one week to two.

More than 80 cases of the highly infectious Delta variant were confirmed in the city in recent days.

"When you have a contagious variant, like the Delta virus, a three-day lockdown doesn't work - if we're going to do this we need to do it properly," she said.

"We do need to brace ourselves for a potentially large number of cases in the following days."

The outbreak of new infections emerged a week ago in Bondi, the famous beach suburb, and spread first into the city centre and then to its western fringes.

It has been linked to a driver who transported international arrivals from the airport.

State Health Minister Brad Hazzard described the Delta variant - which first emerged in India - as a "very formidable foe".

"No matter what defensive steps we're taking at the moment, the virus seems to understand how to counter-attack," he said.

This article says the limo driver the outbreak was traced back to wasn't vaccinated

https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/covid-19-cluster-worsens-in-australian-city-1147757.html
    The cluster began last week when a Sydney airport limousine driver tested positive.

He was not vaccinated and is suspected to have been infected while transporting a foreign air crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

Tenger wrote: »
    Ireland mostly stamped out the original virus last year, then the Alpha variant arrived in droves at Xmas.

Edit; as I used the wrong term for the Kent variant

Also worth considering that the UK is demographically quite different to Ireland, with Indian communities living in geographic proximity, and people frequently travelling to and from India. This is part of the reason why it took hold so quickly, and probably affects the calculations about transmissibility as well.

It will probably become the dominant variant in Ireland as well, but I would expect the process to take longer - also considering that we are at a point now where we are further along with vaccinations than a few months ago, when it started to show up in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Seems he was unlucky. Get well soon

Seems he was very very unlucky. But he still caught it , for balance my older 17 year old unvaccinated son living in the same house is negative still and I also thankfully remain negative but I am fully vaccinated, we are lucky in that have space to isolate from each other including separate bathrooms but I did expect my older unvaccinated teenager to become positive

Seems he was very very unlucky. But he still caught it , for balance my older 17 year old unvaccinated son living in the same house is negative still and I also thankfully remain negative but I am fully vaccinated, we are lucky in that have space to isolate from each other including separate bathrooms but I did expect my older unvaccinated teenager to become positive

Something similar happened to a neighbours son last xmas. He met up with a friend for coffee that was passing through, he had the virus unknowingly . They were seated outside and made no physical contact and he still caught it off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I have a bad headache and a runny nose, anyone else
    have these symptoms and test positive for Covid recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I have a bad headache and a runny nose, anyone else
    have these symptoms and test positive for Covid recently?
    Those are the delta variant symptoms (plus sore throat). Would suggest isolating and getting tested asap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Ficheall wrote: »
    Those are the delta variant symptoms (plus sore throat). Would suggest isolating and getting tested asap.

Thanks, only thing I don't have is the sore throat, will get a test tomorrow.

Advertisement