Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Delta variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭dockysher

cant believe people are actually still listening to this news. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

I have a bad headache and a runny nose, anyone else
    have these symptoms and test positive for Covid recently?

My son never has sore throat . Temperature, aches and pains and symptoms like a sinus infection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

Runny nose? Quick, run and get tested. What a complete farce we have become.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Ficheall

beaz2018 wrote: »
    What would Dr beaz recommend? Keep spreading the virus to keep the case numbers up, so that he can continue to complain about restrictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

18 months into this and you still don't know that it is better to get tested to rule out Covid as much as it is to find cases of it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

Our testing strategy has been such a success. We havent been the most restricted country for such a prolonged period, we havent killed thousands through nursing homes and hospital infections. Quick, get that 2 year old a test for that runny nose, he might kill someone.

Our testing strategy has been such a success. We havent been the most restricted country for such a prolonged period, we havent killed thousands through nursing homes and hospital infections. Quick, get that 2 year old a test for that runny nose, he might kill someone.

Completely clueless post. Go back to bed instead of spouting rubbish here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

completely agree. id love to know who exactly is getting tested. the most vulnerable are fully vaccinated,no reason for them to be tested. the 50 year olds are more or less there too. 40 year olds have a single dose at this stage. im nt sure why they'd bother being tested..so is NEPHET saying all the 20-30 year olds are queueing up for tests? i doubt it because they're all out having pints in town without fear..and rightly so. the fear mongering has gone beyond ridiculous at this point. open up the country.

Nozebleed wrote: »
    completely agree. id love to know who exactly is getting tested. the most vulnerable are fully vaccinated,no reason for them to be tested. the 50 year olds are more or less there too. 40 year olds have a single dose at this stage. im nt sure why they'd bother being tested..so is NEPHET saying all the 20-30 year olds are queueing up for tests? i doubt it because they're all out having pints in town without fear..and rightly so. the fear mongering has gone beyond ridiculous at this point. open up the country.

You do realise we can open up but that people with symptoms can still get a test?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This is still the Delta variant thread, right?

Have all the other threads reached moaning capacity and overflowed?

• Advertisement

Residential and nursing home staff are still being tested every 2 weeks that is and will be ongoing . Also if anyone is worried about there runny nose they don’t have to make a song and dance about it now . Plenty of walk in centers if people want to put there mind at rest etc and all you need is ID . Also antigen tests if done right work very well so if you wake up with a head cold and want to head out that evening a antigen test will give a result . All other countries are using them and when I used it on my son it was instantly positive the pcr then confirmed

alibab wrote: »
    Residential and nursing home staff are still being tested every 2 weeks that is and will be ongoing . Also if anyone is worried about there runny nose they don’t have to make a song and dance about it now . Plenty of walk in centers if people want to put there mind at rest etc and all you need is ID . Also antigen tests if done right work very well so if you wake up with a head cold and want to head out that evening a antigen test will give a result . All other countries are using them and when I used it on my son it was instantly positive the pcr then confirmed

so if i wake up in the morning with a sniffle..i should take an antigen test to see if its safe to go for a pint or shopping? are you serious? do you want this to be the new way of living? it aint gona happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

With the amount of people out and about having a good time last night it's guaranteed the variant will be spreading and tbh what of it. The vulnerable are vaccinated and stats from the UK show no real increase in deaths or hospitalisations.

Great to see and hear people living once again. We've forgotten about people keeping their mental health safe for far too long now.

so if i wake up in the morning with a sniffle..i should take an antigen test to see if its safe to go for a pint or shopping? are you serious? do you want this to be the new way of living? it aint gona happen.
    I thought people wanted to take antigen tests so they could go to the pub/whatever like in other countries in Europe?

You don’t have to do anything but a lot of people with elderly relatives and vulnerable people in there families might be glad of this option to help keep them safe . Every one can risk assess there own situation and make there own decisions. The fact remains even with Vacination you can still get covid and pass it on to the vulnerable.

Ficheall wrote: »
    I thought people wanted to take antigen tests so they could go to the pub/whatever like in other countries in Europe?

so the intention is to use antigen testing for ever more? that's the solution? when will this be phased out exactly..or am i missing something? C19 isnt going anywhere like the flu and the common cold. i hope people don't think they can push this as a mandatory exercise for attending pubs and restaurants going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

do you want this to be the new way of living? it aint gona happen.

You're right that it's not going to happen, but not because it's an apocalyptic vision of idiot conspiracy theorists, but because, in the long run, when large parts of the population are either vaccinated or had Covid, it will become endemic, which means at least partial background immunity in the population - similar to the flu. Partial immunity to any variant - again, similar to the flu, where, while you can get a new flu shot targeted at new variants every year, most adults have partial immunity, because they had it at one stage in their life.

The situation right now it that we're still in a global pandemic. The immune system of the vast majority of the human population is still 'naive' to the Coronavirus, regardless of variant.

One purpose of a test is to determine if you can still infect the over 50% - higher if you consider it's global - of the population that is not vaccinated.

The main purpose of antigen tests is to ease and accelerate opening up.

The 'Covid lovers' - the guys who refuse to wear masks, get vaccinated, get tested - just so they can prolong the pandemic, because it feeds their paranoia, helps them play the victim of oppression, feeds their idiotic conspiracies and messages of doom - these people are becoming a real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Hospital cases up today

47 in hospital today up 12 from yesterday
    15 in ICU up 2 on yesterday's figures

I know most hospitals don't release people from hospitals on weekends so tomorrow and Tuesdays figures will show a more accurate picture

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Hospital cases up today

47 in hospital today up 12 from yesterday
    15 in ICU up 2 on yesterday's figures

I know most hospitals don't release people from hospitals on weekends so tomorrow and Tuesdays figures will show a more accurate picture

There was only 43 in hospital yesterday, so an increase of 4, not 12.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    There was only 43 in hospital yesterday, so an increase of 4, not 12.

Hmm... Strange I thought I read there that it was 35 but I've no proof so I'll take your word... One way or another it's an increase

Not good but I wouldn't use the term 'worrying' just yet though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hmm... Strange I thought I read there that it was 35 but I've no proof so I'll take your word... One way or another it's an increase

Its the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Lower hospital numbers than last Sunday and same number in ICU. Far from worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

How have people not realised at this stage that the numbers in hospital increase on the weekend? Pain in the hole reading the same posts every time.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

How have people not realised at this stage that the numbers in hospital increase on the weekend? Pain in the hole reading the same posts every time.

Absolutely. The daily numbers aren’t fully reliable because they may be late recording of cases/deaths.

How have people not realised at this stage that the numbers in hospital increase on the weekend?

They've realised fine. It suits the "do this, don't do that, wear that, don't go here" types to make figures seem more portentous than they actually are.

Tenger wrote: »
    Absolutely. The daily numbers aren’t fully reliable because they may be late recording of cases/deaths.

The daily case numbers are less important than they once were anyway, it's been a steady 300-400 for the last number of months and numbers are continuing in the right direction

Looks to me like the poster knows..?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭amandstu

Yes ,fairly rising but deaths are v low .

Anyone have an idea yet as to the lethality of Delta when comparing like with like?

I mean deaths are bound to be relatively low wrt cases if more cases are amongst the young but are the young experiencing greater severity in cases as compared to the earlier variants? (and the same question for the older unvaccinated which they must be some of)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

amandstu wrote: »
    Yes ,fairly rising but deaths are v low .

Anyone have an idea yet as to the lethality of Delta when comparing like with like?

I mean deaths are bound to be relatively low wrt cases if more cases are amongst the young but are the young experiencing greater severity in cases as compared to the earlier variants? (and the same question for the older unvaccinated which they must be some of)

So with one dose it seems you are marginally less likely with delta to go to hospital than with alpha, if it's putting less people in hospital then it's less lethal surely.
    https://twitter.com/andrew_croxford/status/1408750033286074371

cv-uk7.jpg

Advertisement