Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Delta variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

Also neither of my sons have loss of taste or smell . Both had high temperatures, body aches and pains and upper respiratory. One has sore throat and diarrhea also . Younger not as bad . 17 year old sicker more symptoms and says when paracetamol and neurofen step working he feel horrendous. Dizzy spells also . Both have full taste and smell

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Stheno wrote: »
    They also were not wearing masks, no?
    Yes, no masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

My younger son who caught it first , spent 1 hour outdoors in garden with 5 others . The person he got it off they had 1 encounter the whole hour my son never went inside I was there . I took a photo of them both he put his arm around my sons shoulder that was the only contact made outdoors . Everyone else there tested negative bar my son who had direct physical contact be it for max 1 minute outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

hmmm wrote: »
    The data is a bit unclear at the moment as to how much risk there is of vaccinated people transmitting Delta. Being vaccinated you're largely protected yourself, but they don't want you wandering around potentially spreading it. I can understand why they're being very cautious, and also they're under a lot of pressure dealing with something which is very new and not very well understood.

Spare me the fear. If you are fully vaccinated you are very safe. If you even have had one jab you are extremely unlikely to be hospitalised with Covid.

Nearly 4 million of us have been vaccinated.

How about an abundance of positivity, joy and optimism instead of this abundance of caution we so love in Ireland.

We need to get back to normal life.

Stheno wrote: »
    Takes 3 weeks to confirm genome sequencing

If you'd told me a year ago I would know the term genome sequencing I'd have thought you were insane

You can get a fair idea without waiting. Alpha can be easily identified due to the missing S-gene which shows up as negative on PCR. Any tests that shows up as positive is very likely Delta

• Advertisement

Spare me the fear. If you are fully vaccinated you are very safe. If you even have had one jab you are extremely unlikely to be hospitalised with Covid.

That's what I said, I don't know where you are getting "fear" from.

4 million doses. That's not 4 million people.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,345 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

How about an abundance of positivity, joy and optimism instead of this abundance of caution we so love in Ireland.

I think you are wrong with your 4 million.
    It might be heading towards 4 million does. But that isn't 4 million people.

(E.g 1m with 2 doses and 2m with one dose is 4m doses but only 3m people)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I think going by all the soundbites and posts on here the last few days it’s looking unlikely that normality is ever going to return to this country. I think at best the vaccines are about saving the government’s arse from overwhelmed hospitals rather than giving our freedoms back.

Personally i have a plan B. I’m giving it until the end of the year and if nothing changes i’m buying a house in Florida in January/February. I’m in a great position to relocate. I originally planned to do that in 20 years when i retire but i have family in the states and if i stay here the government will make it impossible to travel freely back and forth to see them not to mention way more freedom in the states.

It’s becoming more obvious this ****show isn’t going anywhere soon in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Tenger wrote: »
    It's been a known possibility for months now. Hence the mask mandate outdoors in most US states.

This thing isn't black&white. The "15 minute close proximity" guide was just that.
    All it takes it a few droplets in the air as you pass a stranger in the street to pass the infection.
    In China last May/June there was a study on a guy getting infected on a bus AFTER the carrier got off. He had expelled droplets inside the bus.
    Thats the entire rationale for mask wearing in close proximity of others. "Outdoors is safer" means it hot a lower risk, (due to wind and sunshine) NOT that's its got no risk.

Irish Time 4-5 days ago stated 30% of Irish PCR tests are sequenced for variants.
    And that 20% of those are Delta.
    No indication however what the criteria for sequencing is or if it is random

Not random, targeted on VOCs and VOIs so percentages can be Skewed which I think is the case with Delta. Good article here on it on the genome sequencing. Warning though its rather long.

https://amp.rte.ie/amp/1230774/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Tenger wrote: »

Irish Time 4-5 days ago stated 30% of Irish PCR tests are sequenced for variants.
    And that 20% of those are Delta.
    No indication however what the criteria for sequencing is or if it is random.

Testing for Covid shows presence or absence of S Gene which forms part of the sequencing .
    Alpha variant is known to be S gene absent ,so if 80% of tested cases are found to have no S gene it is presumed that 20% that do are a variant that does contain the S gene , and the most common variant with this circulating is the Delta, atm .
    Those tests are then sent for sequencing as well as targeted tests for vocs from MHQ and hot spots .
    So while not targeted , and not 100% specific, it is as accurate as they can get in the short term as sequencing takes at least 2 weeks to come back .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Two very different headlines
    Nphet warns Delta variant could infect thousands per day in August leading to a ‘peak of deaths’

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/nphet-warns-delta-variant-could-infect-thousands-per-day-in-august-leading-to-a-peak-of-deaths-40591171.html

The modelling for the Delta variant in Ireland shows shocking rises in the worst-case model, which one informant described as “grim and alarming” and another said would be “like an invasion.”

Fatalities and hospitalisations will approach, but not meet, the chaos and harrowing caseload seen in January, ministers are warned.

Versus

Singapore’s COVID plan offers pathway out of lockdowns
    We could do worse than follow the example of the city state of Singapore, with a population of 5.7 million and about 20-30 cases every day, which has just set out such a plan. With enough people vaccinated, COVID-19 will be managed like other endemic diseases such as the flu.

Last week three ministers on Singapore’s taskforce on COVID-19 outlined their government’s transition to a new normal. The trio said priority in the next few months will be to prepare Singapore for life with COVID-19 as a recurring, controllable disease.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/singapore-s-covid-plan-offers-pathway-out-of-lockdowns-20210627-p584lx.html

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Two very different headlines
    That's because they are talking about different things.

We know that once we have enough people vaccinated we will have to live with this. We have a timing problem with Delta which was unfortunate.

We know that once we have enough people vaccinated we will have to live with this. We have a timing problem with Delta which was unfortunate.

Oh for sure, I just thought the two scenarios were so contrasting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

One thing that will be of concern to those who are older /very medically vulnerable, is that many , like me were prioritised to be vaccinated and was given AZ last March . Got my second the other day . People far less vulnerable were given the more effective Pfizer . Had been hoping that the 2nd dose would be something rather than AZ, but I couldn’t risk waiting .

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

Micky 32 wrote: »
    giving our freedoms back.

Personally i have a plan B. I’m giving it until the end of the year and if nothing changes i’m buying a house in Florida in January/February.

Annual number of people killed from gunshots in Florida is over 2,700.

So, not only do you gain the freedom to infect others indiscriminately, you also gain the freedom to shoot and kill them.
    Or, of course, the freedom to get shot - that chance is much higher than being killed from Covid in Ireland, even in worst case scenarios.

In Ireland, 'freedom' means not allowing people to infect or shoot others.

One thing that will be of concern to those who are older /very medically vulnerable, is that many , like me were prioritised to be vaccinated and was given AZ last March . Got my second the other day . People far less vulnerable were given the more effective Pfizer . Had been hoping that the 2nd dose would be something rather than AZ, but I couldn’t risk waiting .

You have 2 doses of a vaccine in the middle of a pandemic.

Younger people will now be offered AZ in the weeks ahead.

Be grateful, its good for your mental health.

There will always be people better off and worse than yourself.

Its called life.

Just had another read of the IT article

Where the hell are they getting these figures from? They're fecking terrifying after all we've already been through

The worst-case scenario would potentially see almost 700,000 cases of the virus over July, August and September, with as many as 2,170 deaths as the Delta variant becomes dominant. The most optimistic projection would see 81,000 cases and 165 deaths.

There is an expectation that Nphet will seek a delay of several weeks in reopening indoor hospitality.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/grim-covid-projections-put-opening-of-indoor-hospitality-in-serious-doubt-1.4606220

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

So, not only do you gain the freedom to infect others indiscriminately, you also gain the freedom to shoot and kill them.
    Or, of course, the freedom to get shot - that chance is much higher than being killed from Covid in Ireland, even in worst case scenarios.

I’m not afraid of Covid or guns. I own a gun btw. Oh i’m fully vaccinated aswell ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

???

• Registered Users Posts: 1 porta

Woody79 wrote: »
    You have 2 doses of a vaccine in the middle of a pandemic.

Younger people will now be offered AZ in the weeks ahead.

Be grateful, its good for your mental health.

There will always be people better off and worse than yourself.

Its called life.

You obviously have no understanding of ‘vulnerable’. If you did, you wouldn’t be giving a dismissive “that’s life” reply.

A healthy 35 year old who gets Covid has a very good chance of a complete recovery.
    A 35 year old Type-1 diabetic who gets Covid has a very good chance of winding up seriously ill or even dead.

Vulnerable people are very grateful to receive vaccines as part of what is turning out to be a (mostly) successful vaccine rollout.
    They are also conscious that by receiving the AZ, the lesser protection is being given to those with the weakest natural defences.

I suggest that developing some understanding and empathy would be great for your mental health.

porta wrote: »
    You obviously have no understanding of ‘vulnerable’. If you did, you wouldn’t be giving a dismissive “that’s life” reply.

A healthy 35 year old who gets Covid has a very good chance of a complete recovery.
    A 35 year old Type-1 diabetic who gets Covid has a very good chance of winding up seriously ill or even dead.

Vulnerable people are very grateful to receive vaccines as part of what is turning out to be a (mostly) successful vaccine rollout.
    They are also conscious that by receiving the AZ, the lesser protection is being given to those with the weakest natural defences.

I suggest that developing some understanding and empathy would be great for your mental health.
    Got a link by any chance about the increased risk to people with Type 1 diabetes but no other illnesses? Just wondering because you equate 2 different risks and I doubt the 99.5%+ non-fatal rate for healthy people with Covid will be matched up with the death rate for people with Type 1 diabetes with Covid.

porta wrote: »

Real world studies say AZ is just as good as any MRNA.

Empathy for what?

Its just as good.

I got AZ and have no envy to MRNA vaccine holders.

I can understand people who are unvaccinated being envious of
    vaccinated people, but brands envy?

Give me a break.

All current vaccines in EU are very good.

Spoilt and entitled come to mind.

Less than 20% of the world population has received 1 dose of any vaccine, never mind 2.

Some of these scientific celebratory media types have been pedaling this scutter re: Good/Bad vaccines.

Dangerous people when we need everyone to take vaccines when available.

Woody79 wrote: »
    Real world studies say AZ is just as good as any MRNA.

Against Delta?

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Against Delta?

Just think about it.

Head to head with millions of people in UK similar efficacy.

https://www.indiatoday.in/science/story/pfizer-astrazeneca-vaccines-provide-similar-protection-against-symptomatic-covid-19-study-1805037-2021-05-21

Delta studies are tiny as its so new.

This garbage was trotted out with Alpha months back also.

Of course it will be the same.

Its just commonsense.

Small data less reliable (Delta studies to date due to being new)

Large data more reliable.

The real world study is the most reliable vaccine comparision in the world (tens of millions of people) and minute differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Got a link by any chance about the increased risk to people with Type 1 diabetes but no other illnesses? Just wondering because you equate 2 different risks and I doubt the 99.5%+ non-fatal rate for healthy people with Covid will be matched up with the death rate for people with Type 1 diabetes with Covid.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(20)30272-2/fulltext

How many do ya want ?
    100s more on the page that came from !

Very highrisk, as in group 7 or group 4 if not well controlled .

Goldengirl wrote: »
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587(20)30272-2/fulltext

How many do ya want ?
    100s more on the page that came from !

Very highrisk, as in group 7 or group 4 if not well controlled .

Did you read your own link?
    According to it no-one under the age of 50 with Type 1 Diabetes has died with Covid in the UK. That's 0. Nada. Zilch. By pure chance you'd expect a couple since it says 544 under the age of 50 have died with Covid and roughly 1 in 200 have Type 1 diabetes.
    We were talking about 35 year olds bear in mind.

I seem to recall that last week some numbers came out showing that even the obesity risk factor was pretty damn low unless it coincided with advanced age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

pc7 wrote: »
    If they are ‘assuming’ Delta does that mean the % of Delta we are hearing is a guesstimate?

They may be using the "s gene target" from initial PCR test an an indicator of likely Delta variant before full gene sequencing is done.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01390-4

"Researchers have also been able to rapidly track the spread of B.1.617.2 because its genome contains a marker that the dominant B.1.1.7 variant lacks. The presence of this marker — known as the ‘S gene target’ — can be seen in the results of some of the PCR tests used to confirm cases of COVID-19, so researchers can use positive S-target hits as a proxy to quickly map the spread of B.1.617.2, without needing to sequence samples fully.

Advertisement