Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Delta variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Against Delta?
    Yes. Look at the latest PHE report for evidence of this. Both vaccines >90% protection against severe illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Just an update, my relative found it difficult to navigate the Covid helpline - they kept getting referred back to the HSE website for information (which states they don't need to self-isolate or even get tested).

So I decided to ring the helpline myself. Spoke to a very helpful lady who checked the situation for me and yes, you do need to self-isolate if you are a close contact of someone who has tested positive for a 'variant of concern' even if you are fully vaccinated.

This is all news to me.

Sounds like you were fed bull****, it directly contradicts the HSE website which has from the beginning been promoted as the 'one source' of truthful advice to counter all the loons and anitvaxers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Yes. Look at the latest PHE report for evidence of this. Both vaccines >90% protection against severe illness.

Correct:
    cv-uk8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭alibab

OwenM wrote: »
    Sounds like you were fed bull****, it directly contradicts the HSE website which has from the beginning been promoted as the 'one source' of truthful advice to counter all the loons and anitvaxers etc.

It’s not bull I am in full isolation as per HSE public health . Confirmed Delta variant which is different . Despite being fully vaccinated I have been asked to fully isolate. My sons isolation increased to 14 days from 10 . This is specific to this variant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Close contacts of a variant of concern
    A variant of concern is a more infectious strain of the virus.

If you're a close contact of a person that tests positive for a COVID-19 (coronavirus) variant of concern you need to:
    • get tested for COVID-19
    • self-isolate (stay in your room) for 14 days

You need to do both, even if you are fully vaccinated.

There is different advice for close contacts of a person that tests positive for a regular strain of COVID-19 (coronavirus)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The Kent variant is also a Variant of Concern, so in theory it applies there too.

Where in the name of blazes are nphet coming from with 700k new cases and 2000 deaths between now and September?
    Jaysis
    That would have to be mostly young people dying
    Shortly there won't be 700000 adults left to vaccinate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

https://twitter.com/davidmcw/status/1409837721787547649?s=20

I don't know what the doubling time is for Scotland at the moment.
    Oliver Johnson (@BristOliver) has the doubling time for England at 11 days, so I'll quickly run with that even though it's clearly too conservative.

June 28: 3,285 cases
    July 09: 6,570
    July 20: 13,140
    July 31: 26,280

That's a very simplistic projection, not a prediction. I just mean to illustrate that Scotland may be weeks away from numbers they would've considered next to impossible a short time ago.

But, as I'm sure someone will tell me, that's just cases. What's really important is hospitalisation & deaths.
    Well unfortunately the link between cases and hospitalisation & death has not yet been broken. It's clearly much improved from January, but I still see potential for it to get pretty nasty over there again.

557122.png

557123.png

As ever, hospitalisations follow cases. And deaths lag hospitalisations.

All this to say that I don't think NPHET's most pessimistic scenario is implausible.
    It's unlikely. That's why it's labelled 'pessimistic'.
    But it's far from impossible. Scotland, I worry, illustrate that quite clearly.

Oliver Johnson (@BristOliver) has the doubling time for England at 11 days, so I'll quickly run with that even though it's clearly too conservative.

That's a very simplistic projection, not a prediction. I just mean to illustrate that Scotland may be weeks away from numbers they would've considered next to impossible a short time ago.

But, as I'm sure someone will tell me, that's just cases. What's really important is hospitalisation & deaths.
    Well unfortunately the link between cases and hospitalisation & death has not yet been broken. It's clearly much improved from January, but I still see potential for it to get pretty nasty over there again.

557122.png

557123.png

All this to say that I don't think NPHET's most pessimistic scenario is implausible.

You didn't post a graph for deaths funnily enough. If you had then we'd be about to see 50-100 daily deaths in Scotland.

You didn't post a graph for deaths funnily enough. If you had then we'd be about to see 50-100 daily deaths in Scotland.

I did post a deaths chart.

They're growing steadily from a very low base, but as we know, deaths lag cases significantly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

They're growing steadily from a very low base, but as we know, deaths lag cases significantly

Scotland definitely seem to be an outlier or further along the delta wave than the rest of the UK. I think it's Scotland and Portugal to be watching to see what happens. Scotland have about 40 daily hospital admissions now, about 20% of their last peak.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Scotland definitely seem to be an outlier or further along the delta wave than the rest of the UK. I think it's Scotland and Portugal to be watching to see what happens. Scotland have about 40 daily hospital admissions now, about 20% of their last peak.

Agreed.

Portugal just posted over 1,700 daily cases today. Similar level of vaccination to us. Not a great situation.

Relatively tough restrictions on Lisbon, but it looks like the cat's out of the bag anyway.
    People here are taking indoor dining not opening pretty hard. Imagine if NPHET proposed this for Dublin.
    The restrictions include restaurants and cafes closing at 3:30pm on weekends, with limits on how many customers can be served. Wedding and baptism venues will be allowed to fill only 25 percent of their capacity, down from the current 50 percent, while weekend travel into and out of Lisbon will not be allowed.

Herp de derp. I messed that post up. :o Meant to point out where your graph starts. Because cases are now where they were last time Scotland had a wave with a peak. So deaths should increase 10x to get to the same level as then?

Correct:
    cv-uk8.jpg

If this variant is much more dangerous and vaccines less effective against them, why has hospitalisation rates with vaccinated persons improved with this strain?

I heard early on the virus over time will become more infectious but less deadly.

I think that is the case with Delta.

Most if not all of us are going to be infected with covid in the long run but with less severe strains and most people with a level of immunity against it vaccine/previous infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Woody79 wrote: »
    If this variant is much more dangerous and vaccines less effective against them, why has hospitalisation rates with vaccinated persons improved with this strain?

I heard early on the virus over time will become more infectious but less deadly.

Most if not all of us are going to be infected with covid in the long run but with less severe strains and most people with a level of immunity against it vaccine/previous infection.

We hope that's the case! I guess we have unnecessary foreign travel to thank for importing new strains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

NPHET's full modelling is bizarre compared to anywhere else

No Delta

Cases 21,000
    Hospital Admissions 405
    ICU 55
    Deaths 80

Optimistic

Cases 81,000
    Hospital Admissions 1,530
    ICU 195
    Deaths 165

Central 1

Cases 187,000
    Hospital Admissions 3,490
    ICU 450
    Deaths 545

Central 2

Cases 408,000
    Hospital Admissions 7,690
    ICU 985
    Deaths 1,230

Pessimistic

Cases 681,900
    Hospital Admissions 12,985
    ICU 1,685
    Deaths 2,170

Based on 1 July 2021 to 30 September 2021

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

The Government will seek a second, independent opinion from the likes of the World Health Organization or the European Centre for Disease Control on the figures presented to them by the National Public Health Emergency Team projecting the possible impact of the Delta variant, a Green Party minister has said.

Speaking on RTÉ Raidió na Gaeltachta, Minister for State Ossian Smyth said: "We will be looking at it again independently... on the figures outside of NPHET. We will ask them [an independent authority] to look at the figures independently."

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0629/1232045-nphet-letter/

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    NPHET's full modelling is bizarre compared to anywhere else

No Delta

Cases 21,000
    Hospital Admissions 405
    ICU 55
    Deaths 80

Optimistic

Cases 81,000
    Hospital Admissions 1,530
    ICU 195
    Deaths 165

Central 1

Cases 187,000
    Hospital Admissions 3,490
    ICU 450
    Deaths 545

Central 2

Cases 408,000
    Hospital Admissions 7,690
    ICU 985
    Deaths 1,230

Pessimistic

Cases 681,900
    Hospital Admissions 12,985
    ICU 1,685
    Deaths 2,170

Based on 1 July 2021 to 30 September 2021

I think im on the negative side of things with regards covid, but that has shocked me.

I blind man could have seen opening restaurants with delta on the rise and vaccination at a critical point was not going to happen.

I could be wrong but I call bull**** on the above with regards cases and especially with regards to hospitalisations and deaths.

It reminds me of McConkeys suggestions last September.

Maybe they are painting this picture to legitimise keeping pubs closed to all the critics.

I think pubs and indoor restaurants should be closed until end of August when we could reach decent herd immunity with vaccination.

Then I think we all have to "live with covid", whatever that means.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

ionnn wrote: »
    Oh give it a rest

No.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/29/who-is-most-at-risk-from-the-delta-variant.html

So far in UK, no person under 50 that has been double dosed has died of Delta variant.

The big threat is older persons, when high virus is circulating.

Boosters for HCW and over 50s in autumn me thinks.

• Advertisement

Who is saying that? The information in the post you just quoted shows the opposite..

Who is saying that? The information in the post you just quoted shows the opposite..

Protection from infection.

Everyone is saying delta variant can infect someone double dosed better than Alpha-MRNA/AZ.

What rock have you been hiding under?:rolleyes:

Protection from infection.

Everyone is saying delta variant can infect someone double dosed better than Alpha-MRNA/AZ.

What rock have you been hiding under?:rolleyes:
    I am so scared ****less of the big bad delta variant that, yes, you're right, I've been hiding under a big rock :rolleyes:

Had you clarified your post, I would have known if you were talking about infection or illness. Everyone is saying that hospitalisation/illness is the important metric now, not infection.

What rock have you been hiding under?rolleyes.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

557122.png

557123.png

Sturgeon said yesterday they may be over their peak. Keep trying though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Does anyone have stats on the prevalence of Delta in different countries in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Does anyone have stats on the prevalence of Delta in different countries in Europe.

I would not mind seeing it also. Tony H is saying there will be exponential growth in that variant in Ireland in August. So despite the fact I will have two jabs by then I expect the most prudent action will be to leave Ireland for the month to escape it.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

From 23 June.

ECDC Threat Assessment Brief: Implications for the EU/EEA on the spread of the SARS-CoV-2 Delta (B.1.617.2) variant of concern
    https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/sites/default/files/documents/Implications-for-the-EU-EEA-on-the-spread-of-SARS-CoV-2-Delta-VOC-23-June-2021_2.pdf

Source: https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/publications-data/threat-assessment-emergence-and-impact-sars-cov-2-delta-variant

I would not mind seeing it also. Tony H is saying there will be exponential growth in that variant in Ireland in August. So despite the fact I will have two jabs by then I expect the most prudent action will be to leave Ireland for the month to escape it.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

You need to get checked. You are suffering from low nr fallacy syndrom.
    And add hospital numbers to your checklist. Then relate infection to hospital admissions and admissions to actual hospital numbers.
    Then you can see the progress. Use UK numbers as they are further down the line.
    Then report back and give us the progress data. Please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

Lumen wrote: »

'May', 'could' 'might', 'some modeling suggest', 'more likely to'.
    That is enough for me to indicate guesswork io data.
    I do not agree w their assessment in terms of % of higher transmissibility either.
    I think it is out of date. Recent data suggests 20-30%.It is enough for a new variant to become dominant which is the only trustworthy assumption in this report as is noting increased vaccinations leading to better protection.
    Also, saying new variants are likely to lead to more hospitalisations is stating the bleeding obvious.
    Anyway, it is a general threat assessment and should be seen as such, not as evidence to support draconian measures..

Advertisement