Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Delta variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭brickster69

Does anyone have stats on the prevalence of Delta in different countries in Europe.

Delta cases are roughly doubling every 7 days

Germany 50% of cases
    France 20%
    Portugal 55%
    Spain 32%
    Italy 17%
    UK 96%
    Belgium 16%
    Russia 90%

Difficult to know what the exact numbers are due to lot's of them sleepwalking on the testing front and sequencing is next to zero. Deaths and hospital admissions are numbers to worry about, but the case numbers will explode in a month or so.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

You’re on a roll there aren’t you? Mop the froth off the side of your face please.

The vaccines work without doubt. The evidence is there. Thousands and thousands are put into arms everyday. I predict it won’t be as bad as some think it will be. Next couple of months will make a huge difference as millions more will have been administered, Vaccines work.

I’m confident of this ( from your link):

“”Covid vaccination programs could come to the rescue if countries in Europe can deploy shots fast enough. A study by Public Health England in May showed that having both doses of the Covid vaccines developed by AstraZeneca-Oxford University and Pfizer-BioNTech (the vaccines most widely offered in Europe) provide effective protection against the delta variant.“”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

I would not mind seeing it also. Tony H is saying there will be exponential growth in that variant in Ireland in August. So despite the fact I will have two jabs by then I expect the most prudent action will be to leave Ireland for the month to escape it.

Was reported on Newstalk that it is already over 50% of cases here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

but the case numbers will explode in a month or so.

Quiet a serious risk.

I'm really hoping that I'll get at least the first dose of a Vaccine before numbers go wild (31 years old can't register yet).

If I get the virus I'll probably be fine but I'd still like to have some protection. I know some people my age that have had severe covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Delta cases are roughly doubling every 7 days

Germany 50% of cases
    France 20%
    Portugal 55%
    Spain 32%
    Italy 17%
    UK 96%
    Belgium 16%
    Russia 90%

Difficult to know what the exact numbers are due to lot's of them sleepwalking on the testing front and sequencing is next to zero. Deaths and hospital admissions are numbers to worry about, but the case numbers will explode in a month or so.

You would really need to see a chart, similar to they had in the UK, where they showed Alpha cases reducing and Delta increasing, but together cases were dropping until Delta overtook Alpha and cases skyrocketed.

Because our cases are kinda stagnant, it would look like delta is not growing as fast (I hope)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Micky 32 wrote: »

We're closer and closer to this too. Can't wait.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    You’re on a roll there aren’t you? Mop the froth off the side of your face please.

The vaccines work without doubt. The evidence is there. Thousands and thousands are put into arms everyday. I predict it won’t be as bad as some think it will be. Next couple of months will make a huge difference as millions more will have been administered, Vaccines work.

I’m confident of this :

“”Covid vaccination programs could come to the rescue if countries in Europe can deploy shots fast enough. A study by Public Health England in May showed that having both doses of the Covid vaccines developed by AstraZeneca-Oxford University and Pfizer-BioNTech (the vaccines most widely offered in Europe) provide effective protection against the delta variant.“”

Nobody is saying vaccines don't work of course they work.

- Camille Paglia

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Y

Because our cases are kinda stagnant, it would look like delta is not growing as fast (I hope)

I agree, it looks that way

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Absolutely terrifying #holdfirm

For some it will be. As long as deaths and hospitals don't go up they can go up what they want.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

You would really need to see a chart, similar to they had in the UK, where they showed Alpha cases reducing and Delta increasing, but together cases were dropping until Delta overtook Alpha and cases skyrocketed.

Hopefully, but my fear would be that declining alpha cases are masking the growth of delta.

From the sounds of things that's exactly what's happening. 20% of cases on the 21st, 50% as of yesterday.
    Our data is all over the place and we're not doing enough sequencing anyway so it's very hard to get a clear picture of what's happening, but I suspect we're a couple of weeks behind Portugal in terms of incidence level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

I don't suppose you've lucky enough to have a touch of asthma?

if so ring your GP. You might be surprised.
    I've friends who've barely seen an inhaler in 30 years who are now fully vaxxed

So you are friends with a bunch of selfish cnuts?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

Mimon wrote: »
    So you are friends with a bunch of selfish cnuts?

Disgusting comment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I don't suppose you've lucky enough to have a touch of asthma?

if so ring your GP. You might be surprised.
    I've friends who've barely seen an inhaler in 30 years who are now fully vaxxed

I was diagnosed with Asthma for 20 years.

Turned out after the fact that I had a mild allergy to one of the inhalers that created a cough and a shortness of breath consistent with asthma.

Not sure how much asthma I actually had and for how long.

I do agree many people are getting the vaccine that shouldn't be getting it through their gp. Doesn't mean I'm going to be one of them.

I was diagnosed with Asthma for 20 years.

Turned out after the fact that I had a mild allergy to one of the inhalers that created a cough and a shortness of breath consistent with asthma.

Not sure how much asthma I actually had and for how long.

I do agree many people are getting the vaccine that shouldn't be getting it through their gp. Doesn't mean I'm going to be one of them.

I've become aware that you might be thinking I'm talking about "my friends" :)
    I waited my turn too. Despite having mild asthma as a teen. First dose on Monday.

What I think is happening is that GPs are giving out spare doses to anyone they know has any sort of chronic respiratory condition.
    I wouldn't begrudge anyone who does this at this stage of the game. It's not as though you're pushing a diabetic granny aside to get your pfizer.

Hopefully, but my fear would be that declining alpha cases are masking the growth of delta.

From the sounds of things that's exactly what's happening. 20% of cases on the 21st, 50% as of yesterday.
    Our data is all over the place and we're not doing enough sequencing anyway so it's very hard to get a clear picture of what's happening, but I suspect we're a couple of weeks behind Portugal in terms of incidence level.

Those % you are quoting are non Alpha Variants. They use a certain assay to target a missing S gene found only in Alpha, so it's used as a proxy to detect Alpha.
    So the 20% or 50% are non Alpha variants, of which 3 make up the most, Delta, Kappa & B.1.1.318 (currently a VOI). Hopefully they start using the new assay that can detect Delta without the need to sequence.
    Interesting site to see the variants dominant around the world

Those % you are quoting are non Alpha Variants. They use a certain assay to target a missing S gene found only in Alpha, so it's used as a proxy to detect Alpha.
    So the 20% or 50% are non Alpha variants, of which 3 make up the most, Delta, Kappa & B.1.1.318 (currently a VOI). Hopefully they start using the new assay that can detect Delta without the need to sequence.
    Interesting site to see the variants dominant around the world

I know, but they're using S-gene as a rough proxy for sequencing. And if 50% of our recent cases weren't alpha, then most were probably delta.

It's all rather inadequate. Hard to be sure of anything.
    I wonder could we reach out to a country like Denmark for a bit of help with sequencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Ballynally

The UK is way ahead in data analysis in terms of Covid19.
    When they produce an analysis they also give you links to the actual data they used to come to their analysis so you can take a look and possibly come to a different conclusion or spot the caveats.
    In Ireland we have experts presenting us with easy to read graphs with no substantial extra data or links for anyone to check.
    They want to stop people actually looking at the data or have other institutions do an independent analysis.
    What they are hoping for is a general endorcement by an EU body without getting into details. A form of virtue signalling.
    Just..give..us..the..data

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Ballynally wrote: »
    The UK is way ahead in data analysis in terms of Covid19.
    When they produce an analysis they also give you links to the actual data they used to come to their analysis so you can take a look and possibly come to a different conclusion or spot the caveats.
    In Ireland we have experts presenting us with easy to read graphs with no substantial extra data or links for anyone to check.
    They want to stop people actually looking at the data or have other institutions do an independent analysis.
    What they are hoping for is a general endorcement by an EU body without getting into details. A form of virtue signalling.
    Just..give..us..the..data

Dont forget that Stephen Donnolly confirmed last night that there has been no "independent analysis" of the NPHET advice or predictions.

I know, but they're using S-gene as a rough proxy for sequencing. And if 50% of our recent cases weren't alpha, then most were probably delta.

I wonder could we reach out to a country like Denmark for a bit of help with sequencing.

And that in a nutshell is the issue, because 50% of our cases are pretty much confirmed Alpha, that means the other 50% is most probable Delta. No need to facts or data, just assume so?

We don't need help sequencing, despite all the criticism etc... we're actually sequencing a very high % of cases. The main issue is the delay from sampling to getting the sequencing done, I don't think it's down to laziness, could be more down to the process taking time etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭amandstu

I've become aware that you might be thinking I'm talking about "my friends" :)
    I waited my turn too. Despite having mild asthma as a teen. First dose on Monday.

What I think is happening is that GPs are giving out spare doses to anyone they know has any sort of chronic respiratory condition.
    I wouldn't begrudge anyone who does this at this stage of the game. It's not as though you're pushing a diabetic granny aside to get your pfizer.

It is wrong for you to advocate deceitful queue jumping techniques -and for the mods here to allow it.

The vaccines have greater efficacy against the Delta variant compared to Alpha, if you look at both hospitalisations and deaths.
    I said i wasnt going to produce/compare numbers but i will make an exception.
    It is too beautiful to ignore:
    The amount of deaths from the Delta variant in the under 50s in the UK up to june 24 is:
    0 (yes, you read that right). Official UK figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

I would agree, delta has squeezed out just about every other variant in the UK. But what is telling is the volume of people in hospital is not following the case volume, whether that's a delta characteristic or due to the age cohorts getting infected is immaterial. Delta has accounted for >75% of cases in the UK for several weeks now. UK case numbers have gone from about 3k a day in May to 18k yesterday (factor of 6 increase) but numbers in hospital have only risen from about 900 to 1500 - not even doubled, admissions have increased slightly more, but this I interpret as people requiring shorter stays in hospital.

cv-uk9.jpg

Cases on their own are not a valid metric any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I blame Mumford and Sons for all this. They named their last album Delta. And their banjo player has recently left the band as he could not accept that they introduced Delta to the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭amandstu

Ballynally wrote: »
    The vaccines have greater efficacy against the Delta variant compared to Alpha, if you look at both hospitalisations and deaths.
    I said i wasnt going to produce/compare numbers but i will make an exception.
    It is too beautiful to ignore:
    The amount of deaths from the Delta variant in the under 50s in the UK up to june 24 is:
    0 (yes, you read that right). Official UK figures.

And from the Alpha variant (in the same cohort)?

Tenger wrote: »
    Dont forget that Stephen Donnolly confirmed last night that there has been no "independent analysis" of the NPHET advice or predictions.

Yes, i am aware of that. That is ok by me IF NPHET will just give us the data they used to come to their conclusions.
    If that is not forthcoming, TH's head should roll.
    And/or Stephen Donnelly, MM.
    This is what ALL the opposition parties and government party rebels should rally behind.
    It is a simple proposal devoid of the complexities of vax passports etc.If they don't it tells us the state of politics in Ireland.
    So far, i believe SF has been calling for that..

It's amazing really, it's like someone flicking a switch

https://twitter.com/petervanham/status/1410215458020593670

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement

amandstu wrote: »
    And from the Alpha variant (in the same cohort)?

Sorry, no more numbers. I was making an exception.
    Ive had some bad experiences w unqualified people who are not able to judge the relationship between data points in a multi factoral analysis, so i wont.
    Go and dig and make up your own mind:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov...

Edit: that link doesnt seem to work.
    It probably needs '.uk' after 'gov'

Advertisement