Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Delta variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭amandstu

VonLuck wrote: »
    No one said they are faking or exaggerating an illness. I wouldn't begrudge anyone who rings their GP, tells them exactly what condition they have and then they are offered a vaccine.

If they're not entitled to a vaccine then the GP shouldn't be giving them one, simple as. It's not for the person requesting a vaccine to decide whether they get it or not.
    Here's the post
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117551705&postcount=888

A nod and a wink in my eyes

Not claiming to do it themselves but approving of others who might.

All in this together,right?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Beanybabog wrote: »
    For people who think Nphets predictions are nonsense (most people here it seems), what do you think will actually happen? Would you expect no rise in cases, a small rise, or a significant wave? And when will we know? I have no idea but I do think (regardless of deaths and hospitalisation figures) any noticeable rise in cases because of delta that’s it for indoor dining, and travel If they can get away with it.

Who gives a fcuk about cases if it doesn't translate into hospital capacity? I expect cases to rise significantly and hospitalisations to rise marginally and in 3 or 4 weeks the gov will be back tracking. But once again, they've completely misjudged the public opinion here and it is going to cost them in the next election. If it was up to Tony we'd be in a lockdown every winter to stop the flu season and give his buddies working in the hospitals an easier time of it. Micheal Martin has so little backbone it's a wonder he can stand upright at all.

MadYaker wrote: »
    give his buddies working in the hospitals an easier time of it
    Great attitude there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

amandstu wrote: »
    Here's the post
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117551705&postcount=888

A nod and a wink in my eyes

Not claiming to do it themselves but approving of others who might.

All in this together,right?

Yes, I approve of people ringing their GP to see if in the clinical opinion of the doctor, their chronic respiratory condition might qualify them for a spare dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

amandstu wrote: »
    Great attitude there.

I guess you agreed with the rest of the post so? That's good.

• Advertisement

Yes, I approve of people ringing their GP to see if in the clinical opinion of the doctor, their chronic respiratory condition might qualify them for a spare dose.

Not what you implied by your previous post
    "
    if so ring your GP. You might be surprised.
    I've friends who've barely seen an inhaler in 30 years who are now fully vaxxed"

Still that is your story and you are sticking by it I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭appledrop

MadYaker wrote: »
    Who gives a fcuk about cases if it doesn't translate into hospital capacity? I expect cases to rise significantly and hospitalisations to rise marginally and in 3 or 4 weeks the gov will be back tracking. But once again, they've completely misjudged the public opinion here and it is going to cost them in the next election. If it was up to Tony we'd be in a lockdown every winter to stop the flu season and give his buddies working in the hospitals an easier time of it. Micheal Martin has so little backbone it's a wonder he can stand upright at all.

I have to agree the government need to wake up and cop on. People have had enough. We need to learn to live with it.

NPHET calling rapid tests snake oil and then coming out with off the wall quotes of 2,000 deaths.

Guess who is looking like the real snake oil merchants now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

appledrop wrote: »
    I have to agree the government need to wake up and cop on. People have had enough. We need to learn to live with it.

NPHET calling rapid tests snake oil and then coming out with off the wall quotes of 2,000 deaths.

Guess who is looking like the real snake oil merchants now!
    2000 deaths
    Worst case scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

That doesn't look good with the trajectory of hospitalizations . Likely be a lag too.

• Advertisement

2000 deaths
    Worst case scenario

It's scaremongering and people have had enough.

It's like time NPHET asked people to just do a bit more and twitter went mental!

Why don't they interview people in media who call Nphet out on these false scaremongering models of predictions?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

We need to stop looking at number of cases.

The vaccines were never going to stop Covid, but always the aim to prevent hospitial stays and deaths.

It doesn't matter if you have 1,000 cases if only 10 need to go to hospitial.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

We need to stop looking at number of cases.

The vaccines were never going to stop Covid, but always the aim to prevent hospitial stays and deaths.

It doesn't matter if you have 1,000 cases if only 10 need to go to hospitial.

It does matter as link to hospitalizations is thankfully much weaker but not broken.

It would seem that about 1 % of cases will lead to hospitalizations , hopefully that will lower. But data across all seems to show that about 1-2% of cases will translate to hospital cases

NPHET have officially lost the plot. CMO has admitted if not for 'vaccine' card agreement they would have advised the government to keep indoor dining closed until at least Sept if not longer.

Bye Bye NPHET!!!!!!!!!!

#disbandnphet

• Registered Users Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

We are approaching the real test for vaccinations in the weeks ahead as it's patently obvious a major new wave has begun in many countries.

For now deaths remain constrained which is good to see. However, if hospitalisations and deaths start to spike significantly again all bets are off.

That's the nightmare scenario because that would be in spite of vaccine progress.

We need to get over this hurdle to reach the light at the end of the tunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

NPHET have officially lost the plot. CMO has admitted if not for 'vaccine' card agreement they would have advised the government to keep indoor dining closed until at least Sept if not longer.

Bye Bye NPHET!!!!!!!!!!

#disbandnphet

Bring on the vaccine passes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭landofthetree

wadacrack wrote: »
    That doesn't look good with the trajectory of hospitalizations . Likely be a lag too.

It's doesn't look good for lockdown fanatics alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭brickster69

We are approaching the real test for vaccinations in the weeks ahead as it's patently obvious a major new wave has begun in many countries.

For now deaths remain constrained which is good to see. However, if hospitalisations and deaths start to spike significantly again all bets are off.

That's the nightmare scenario because that would be in spite of vaccine progress.

We need to get over this hurdle to reach the light at the end of the tunnel.

From Ireland's view it is probably better to look maybe at Portugal & Spain because they have similar jab rate and it is just starting off now.

If deaths and things kick off in the UK, then everyone knows they are in deep trouble.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

From Ireland's view it is probably better to look maybe at Portugal & Spain because they have similar jab rate and it is just starting off now.

If deaths and things kick off in the UK, then everyone knows they are in deep trouble.
    The staff in the hospitals may well have a strong feeling as to the severity of Delta cases across the age cohorts.
    There may be no strong stats yet to back up their feeling but they may well have a good idea where this is going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Mimon

VonLuck wrote: »
    No one said they are faking or exaggerating an illness. I wouldn't begrudge anyone who rings their GP, tells them exactly what condition they have and then they are offered a vaccine.

If they're not entitled to a vaccine then the GP shouldn't be giving them one, simple as. It's not for the person requesting a vaccine to decide whether they get it or not.

It's manipulation driven by selfishness. I have asthma since getting Covid last March but waited my turn based on age.

Just because the system can be manipulated doesn't make it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,326 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But if the vaccine passport doesn't happen (and I wouldn't put too much money on it) then presumably this recommendation still holds

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Ballynally wrote: »
    The vaccines have greater efficacy against the Delta variant compared to Alpha, if you look at both hospitalisations and deaths.
    I said i wasnt going to produce/compare numbers but i will make an exception.
    It is too beautiful to ignore:
    The amount of deaths from the Delta variant in the under 50s in the UK up to june 24 is:
    0 (yes, you read that right). Official UK figures.

Untrue , its 8 under 50 RIP from Delta .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Goldengirl wrote: »

Which isn't bad. God be good to the dead.

Goldengirl wrote: »

0 when fully dosed.

RIP to 8 unvaccinated/partially vaccinated persons out of population cohort of 35 million.

Get your jabs.

https://www.aninews.in/news/national/general-news/covid-vaccines-provided-protection-in-over-95-pc-of-vaccinated-healthcare-workers-says-study20210616200420/

0 deaths in vaccinated HCW in delta india surge.

Not bad given the carnage there.

I actually think Delta while definitely more infectious is slightly less severe (which fits into natural scientific evolution).

We would still be absolutely fooked without vaccines though given its transmisability and the amounts of old people in western europe.

Woody79 wrote: »
    0 when fully dosed.

RIP to 8 unvaccinated/partially vaccinated persons out of population cohort of 35 million.

Get your jabs.

Yes I think 2 were partially vaccinated .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

wadacrack wrote: »
    It does matter as link to hospitalizations is thankfully much weaker but not broken.

It would seem that about 1 % of cases will lead to hospitalizations , hopefully that will lower. But data across all seems to show that about 1-2% of cases will translate to hospital cases

Where is the data that says 2% of cases will translate to hospital cases?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If deaths kick off in the UK then everyone, everywhere is in deep trouble as it would mean the vaccines aren't working and the delta variant, as well as being more transmissible, is also more dangerous.

Not seeing anything yet to indicate that is what is going on in the UK though. Cases are going up, but not across the whole country as it is hitting one area for a few weeks then begins to fade away, hospitalisations are very slowly creeping up but nothing like matching the cases, and deaths and numbers on ventilation are also creeping up but at a slower rate again than the hospitalisation.

May not yet be time to go completely nuts with removing all social distancing and having loads of massive house parties, but things are not looking too bad.

• Advertisement

Woody79 wrote: »
    https://www.aninews.in/news/national/general-news/covid-vaccines-provided-protection-in-over-95-pc-of-vaccinated-healthcare-workers-says-study20210616200420/

0 deaths in vaccinated HCW in delta india surge.

Not bad given the carnage there.

I actually think Delta while definitely more infectious is slightly less severe (which fits into natural scientific evolution).

We would still be absolutely fooked without vaccines though given its transmisability and the amounts of old people in western europe.

Don't know if it's less severe yet , just that full vaccination appears to be working ...mostly .

My other post was literally to call out the bs from the previous poster I was replying to who is spamming the thread with his/ her unfounded opinions and nothing to back it up .

I think and hope we"ll cope with this once as many as possible get their vaccinations but I have my doubts that we will get as high levels in the under 30s vaxxed without some reward or carrot .
    Just what I am hearing ...

Advertisement