Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Delta variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭snowcat

Goldengirl wrote: »
    Once we reach herd immunity or are fully vaccinated there is less room for these variants to multiply and the hope is they will eventually become endemic like seasonal flu .
    Occasionally they will breakthrough if they can find hosts that have no immunity or whose immunity is waning eg elderly or immunocompromised, but that is why boosters are being developed.
    The real danger is the 3rd world countries who haven't vaccines or vaccine hesitant groups which will sustain pockets of infection around the world until fully vaccinated .
    Variants of concern will continue to evolve under these circumstances .

We are not in danger of anything here really except losing a few more weeks of freedom once vaccinations continue at the rate they are proposed .

Wishful thinking. You are going to be jabbed every 6 months if you are a vaccine fan and it still wont make a difference. As we have found out the virus is one step ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

tom1ie wrote: »
    Herd immunity occurs at 75-80%.
    Will we reach that number though as children under 12 won’t be vaccinated (atm) and the anti vaxers.

Herd immunity is dependent on the transmissibility of the virus.
    Delta has made reaching that point with vaccines alone much more difficult.

I'm struggling to find a source but I believe it's thought to require about 90% of the pop

• Registered Users Posts: 10,336 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Not necessarily.
    It depends on the R0. Generally if the R0 goes up, then so does the herd immunity threshold.

Michael osterholm has being saying since February 2020, globally we need to reach at least 75% to let this thing die out.
    That happens through infection (bad) or vaccines (good).
    Tbf he is a voice of reason on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,022 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Herd immunity occurs at 75-80%.
    Will we reach that number though as children under 12 won’t be vaccinated (atm) and the anti vaxers.

Less antivaxxers in Ireland than other countries.
    Children under 12 may not need vaccination unless vulnerable conditions .
    That has still to be decided.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I'm struggling to find a source but I believe it's thought to require about 90% of the pop

Is it not also based on how effective a vaccine is?
    I don't think anyone can calculate it as there's too many variables.

• Advertisement

90% with delta vs 75-80% with original strain? Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=117554953&postcount=4169

Heard this too directly related to Delta .
    Mark Coughlan on PrimeTime but don't know his source .

Less antivaxxers in Ireland than other countries.
    Children under 12 may not need vaccination unless vulnerable conditions .
    That has still to be decided.

Yes but if you need a high percentage 80%+, of people vaccinated/infected to reach herd, then ignoring under 12’s means you may not reach herd due to, well, numbers.

snowcat wrote: »
    Wishful thinking. You are going to be jabbed every 6 months if you are a vaccine fan and it still wont make a difference. As we have found out the virus is one step ahead.

No. It has already been said that they think we have immunity lasting a couple of years from the vaccinations.
    Boosters just for elderly and vulnerable.

• Advertisement

Yes but if you need a high percentage 80%+, of people vaccinated/infected to reach herd, then ignoring under 12’s means you may not reach herd due to, well, numbers.

Wild type immunity from infections also is believed yo last at least 9 months ...and rising .

No. It has already been said that they think we have immunity lasting a couple of years from the vaccinations.
    Boosters just for elderly and vulnerable.

I’ve never seen anything saying we have immunity for 2 years (which would be fantastic news). Has this been publicised?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

Well, you'll also get some immunity from infection.

In fact it's almost as though that's the unspoken plan. Let the kids get the virus. Vaccines for the grownups. It'll all be grand. Shussshhh

Wild type immunity from infections also is believed yo last at least 9 months ...and rising .

Well that is good but I suppose the problem being wild infections = hospitalisations, which I though was no longer a thing until I ventured back into this thread!!

And then are we prepared to allow children to die from complications who have a greater risk from the vaccine than Covid?

? Are you saying kids will die directly from taking the vaccines?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

90% with delta vs 75-80% with original strain? Yikes.

It could well be that high. R0 for Delta is possibly 7 or 8, with no control measures at all. Its an incredibly transmissible virus now.

Now, does it matter, with vaccinations etc. That is the big question.

? Are you saying kids will die directly from taking the vaccines?

Not sure what you are leaning to but yes some will die from taking the vaccine. Very rare but from stats more than from initially contracting the virus and then dying from it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭brickster69

All that matters at the moment is having 2 doses. Who knows after that.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Just imagine how brutal it could have been if the Indian variant was the original one.

It would have overwhelmed before any measures.

It could well be that high. R0 for Delta is possibly 7 or 8, with no control measures at all. Its an incredibly transmissible virus now.

Agreed.
    Well if you look at some of the stats on here it’s not great reading.
    3.5k in hospital that were double vaccinated?
    By the way I presume that was double vaccinated with at least 10 days since second dose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Fils wrote: »
    We will be in level 5 by August. Nphet are backing the fourth wave.

I know you say that tongue in cheek but nothing would surprise me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I hope you are wrong but it's too early to say yet until most are vaccinated here. Maybe a highly infectious 'harmless' variant will emerge?

Not sure what you are leaning to but yes some will die from taking the vaccine. Very rare but from stats more than from initially contracting the virus and then dying from it

How do you know this?
    Has there been studies on vaccinating under 12s?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭brickster69

Agreed.
    Well if you look at some of the stats on here it’s not great reading.
    3.5k in hospital that were double vaccinated?
    By the way I presume that was double vaccinated with at least 10 days since second dose.

3.5K who tested positive

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

3.5K who tested positive

Ok. I must have misread that.
    3.5k who tested positive, but didn’t impact the hospital service. So what’s the issue there?
    Genuine question.

How do you know this?
    Has there been studies on vaccinating under 12s?

No but there is stats on the amount of under 18's who pass from Covid. It is miniscule. Once you factor in the chance of contrating the virus it is infititesimal. The Vaccine is much more dangerous for an U18

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Danzy wrote: »
    Just imagine how brutal it could have been if the Indian variant was the original one.

It would have overwhelmed before any measures.

Good point. It could have been! We really need to be able to shut down air travel from an outbreak country at short notice in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

No but there is stats on the amount of under 18's who pass from Covid. It is miniscule. Once you factor in the chance of contrating the virus it is infititesimal. The Vaccine is much more dangerous for an U18

Is that your own opinion, or is it backed up by some form of scientific data?

But the vaccine reduces transmission no?
    What is the % chance of an u18 dying from taking the vaccine? I’d say it’s fairly infinitesimal aswell.

• Advertisement

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Is that your own opinion, or is it backed up by some form of scientific data?

Google is your friend but sure ill bite

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1191568/reported-deaths-from-covid-by-age-us/

Advertisement