Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Delta variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

Boggles wrote: »
    I have no idea what is happening in parts of Portugal, but that isn't the rules here.

In Ireland you can get service until 11pm next weekend if it’s not raining. That’s why I said almost, which you decided not to include in your quote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭beaz2018

Why do the lockdown people love to downplay the level of restrictions here. Its really bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

beaz2018 wrote: »
    Why do the lockdown people love to downplay the level of restrictions here. Its really bizarre.

If only there was a thread for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,130 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Valhallapt wrote: »
    In Ireland you can get service until 11pm next weekend if it’s not raining. That’s why I said almost, which you decided not to include in your quote

In Portugal it will be 3.30pm at the weekends like you stated.

That is not almost like anywhere I'm aware of TBF.

Also you can get service in Ireland if it is raining, my personal experience just this past weekend would confirm that.

Wolf359f wrote: »
    It's interesting that the growth rates in the 75-84 are growing and will peak higher than any other age group. Are they all out down the bingo halls or something?
    Only other thing could be nursing homes, but HCW's still wear proper PPE I'm sure?

Its growth rate, not case numbers. If there are a small number of cases in a cohort, a small change will give an apparent large growth rate.

In all likelihood, the older folks testing positive are contacts of confirmed cases in younger groups and are testing positive with no or mild symptoms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

Because declining alpha cases are masking deltas growth.

We're not as open as the UK so you'd hope our rate of growth won't be as bad.
    However we're quite a bit more open than Portugal.
    Most of those poor bastards are back under curfew.

Where are you getting that?

https://www.visitportugal.com/en/content/covid-19-measures-implemented-portugal

- Restaurants, cafés, and pastry shops close at 1 am.
    - Shops and shopping centres are open, without time restrictions.
    - Cultural facilities close at 1 am. 50% capacity limit.
    - Outdoor events possible with specific rules (check the event website for more info).
    - Amateur sports and training events possible with specific rules (check the event website for more info). 33% capacity limit.
    - Alcoholic beverages sale is prohibited in service areas or gas stations and, from 9 p.m., in shops including supermarkets
    - Golf courses are fully operational.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

OwenM wrote: »
    Where are you getting that?

https://www.visitportugal.com/en/content/covid-19-measures-implemented-portugal

- Restaurants, cafés, and pastry shops close at 1 am.
    - Shops and shopping centres are open, without time restrictions.
    - Cultural facilities close at 1 am. 50% capacity limit.
    - Outdoor events possible with specific rules (check the event website for more info).
    - Amateur sports and training events possible with specific rules (check the event website for more info). 33% capacity limit.
    - Alcoholic beverages sale is prohibited in service areas or gas stations and, from 9 p.m., in shops including supermarkets
    - Golf courses are fully operational.

posted this yesterday
    Portugal has announced an 11pm curfew in 45 municipalities, including Porto and Lisbon, amid a rise in COVID cases.

The Portuguese government has ruled people will not be allowed in public spaces and should remain in their own homes between 11pm and 5am in those areas deemed "very high" or "high" risk.

The municipalities, the country's equivalent to local council areas, affected by the new restrictions will also see restaurants and cafes close at 10.30pm during the week and 3.30pm at the weekend and bank holidays.

The government also opted to maintain a restriction on travel to and from ​​Lisbon Metropolitan Area (AML) between 3pm on 2 July and 6am on 5 July for those who do not have a certificate showing they have been vaccinated, recovered from COVID-19 or received a negative test.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/covid-19-portugal-announces-new-restrictions-including-curfew-in-45-areas-amid-rising-coronavirus-cases-12347196

• Registered Users Posts: 16,028 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Well there we have it, opening until 11 during the week and 3.30 at the weekends is some how worse than not opening at all, I'm not sure what more you can say about that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Fils wrote: »
    The pup won’t last forever.

I’ve never been on it, have worked all the way through thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

beaz2018 wrote: »

From my personal experience and from reading back on the main covid thread as far back as last April some people just love misery. I'm in no doubt a lot of these people are social outcasts and hermits and having the general population dragged down to that level pleases them.

Don't underestimate also that a lot are on the PUP payment and would love for that to last as long as possible so in that regards they rejoice at cases rising, deaths and score the internet for stories of variants and doom.

I suppose they call that a life and i'll leave them to it but don't expect the rest of us to live like that.

The fact Delta looks like a wet fart isn't going to help their moods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

So the data from the Uk still showing no real increase in hospital cases despite the surge in case number?

So the data from the Uk still showing no real increase in hospital cases despite the surge in case number?

557624.png

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Sky News showed a chart last night confirming there are as many people getting infected now as the surge back in January, more actually with only a tiny tiny increase in hospitalisations. It's akin to the common cold to the under 40's basically.

The virus is beat. Only Irish laggards remain downbeat.

TefalBrain wrote: »
    Sky News showed a chart last night confirming there are as many people getting infected now as the surge back in January, more actually with only a tiny tiny increase in hospitalisations. It's akin to the common cold to the under 40's basically.

The virus is beat. Only Irish laggards remain downbeat.

Eh, scroll up

557624.png

Thats not too bad at all given case load.

Looking good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

TefalBrain wrote: »
    From my personal experience and from reading back on the main covid thread as far back as last April some people just love misery. I'm in no doubt a lot of these people are social outcasts and hermits and having the general population dragged down to that level pleases them.
    Don't underestimate also that a lot are on the PUP payment and would love for that to last as long as possible so in that regards they rejoice at cases rising, deaths and score the internet for stories of variants and doom. I suppose they call that a life and i'll leave them to it but don't expect the rest of us to live like that.
    The fact Delta looks like a wet fart isn't going to help their moods.

Seriously not more of this type of shyte? The anti covid restrictions thread is littered with this type of nonsense already.

Is it necessary to paint everyone you disagree with as "people just love misery" "people are social outcasts and hermits" "a lot are on the PUP payment" " rejoice at cases rising, deaths and score the internet for stories of variants and doom" and other nonsense?

We all could derail the thread and claim the same of those we don't agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭OwenM

557624.png

cv-uk-16.png

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/uk-daily-new-covid-cases

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/uk-daily-covid-admissions

When you compare over the last year its looking very good at the moment.

Very positive for the near future.

I'm not a big fan of the stringency index, but...

557625.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

OwenM wrote: »
    cv-uk-16.png

^^^

Zoomed in ...

5fi0iy.jpg

• Advertisement

I'm not a big fan of the stringency index, but...

Is this more modelling?

I think most are looking at factual data from the UK. After you posted the version that you hoped supported one view a few have posted the more comprehensive version.

Are you unwilling to accept the literal reality in which we live in favor of a potential unproven theoretical reality?

gozunda wrote: »
    ^^^

Zoomed in ...

That old Zoom has been well used by some on here haha.

It is funny seeing people try and argue against reality isn't it..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Eh, scroll up

Good to see that the top of your graph is at a turning point. The word from the UK is the virus is at a turning point. Check out Acitizen’s post.

Lads, if we see what's happening in Scotland replicated here we'll be in real trouble again.

The UK data does not support your argument. You should probably stop mentioning it every five minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

gozunda wrote: »

Is it necessary to paint everyone you disagree with as "people just love misery" "people are social outcasts and hermits" "a lot are on the PUP payment" " rejoice at cases rising, deaths and score the internet for stories of variants and doom" and other nonsense?

Yes it is. That's far easier than accepting a complex nuanced discussion may mean people take a variety of stances for a variety of different reasons. Both of which may change over time. Much easier to be lazy and assume the world is a polarised black and white, than explore the murky depths of grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Lads, if we see what's happening in Scotland replicated here we'll be in real trouble again.

The UK data does not support your argument. You should probably stop mentioning it every five minutes

Nah. You should google vaccines. You might learn something. We are vaccinating a million a month. Hide under your bed if you like. Make sure you stock up with toilet roll. I’ll constantly post any good news data every 5 mins if need be.

You’re hardly suggesting vaccines don’t work and we have to be in lockdown foreva now would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Portugal is probably the one to watch.
    Their vaccination coverage is closer to ourselves and unlike the UK, their daily case numbers are still a fraction of peak, but hospital figures on a steeper rise compared to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Seems to be a similar sort of disconnect happening between cases and numbers in hospital as with deaths in the UK. Numbers in hospital are rising but nowhere near what might be expected from the numbers of cases in previous waves.

In the chart below cases are in magenta and number in hospital in green.

Yp5.svg

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Lyle

That old Zoom has been well used by some on here haha.

It is funny seeing people try and argue against reality isn't it..

How is zooming in on the longer graph to show what's happening for the last two/three months arguing against reality?? That zoomed in section is literally the reality of now, an uptick (not exponential / matching case growth) in England/UK hospitalisations, and a bit in Scotland. Wales and NI flat.

It's weird enough that some can't seem to acknowledge that there is growth in hospitalisations in the UK to the point that they're questioning reality.

• Advertisement

Well it does support our discussion but really doesnt help yours.

We are now at 70/50 pretty much (adult population) - the UK was at slightly higher than this when it took off over there and have done very well since.

They have provided the roadmap, we only need walk it. Its a pretty basic concept to be fair, and the basis of most peoples discussion.

People are advocating for a careful continued reopening because we can mirror what has been done in our nearest neighbor. Not sure how you can call that irrelevant?

It might be best if you stop throwing up bits of graphs to be fair.

Advertisement