Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Delta variant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

They're just getting on with things. As we all will have to at some stage.

We will have to. However is our goal to have covid endemic to malaria like levels in a third world country? Or something like have covid endemic to our domestic measles and mumps levels where there are outbreaks but the disease is largely controlled and shielded from the public at large?

Id prefer something along the latter. Vaccination will also us achieve that. Provided we don't let things go nuts until we have enough vaccinated.
    People stating we have to learn to live with covid don't actually live with any disease in that sense and I really don't feel they understand just what living long term with a high level of endemic covid would mean.

We have vaccines that can avoid that. No point in coming this far to regress.

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Wadacrack do you get a fix out of doom and gloom? It’s your constant narrative.

Ehh? I think you've got the wrong poster there. Just a few weeks ago wadacrack posted a FT thread suggesting delta may not be a major problem. That was optimistic iirc. Then last week they posted the latest FT assessment which was more concerning.

That is not a constant narrative of doom and gloom.

Turtwig wrote: »
    We will have to. However is our goal to have covid endemic to malaria like levels in a third world country? Or something like have covid endemic to our domestic measles and mumps levels where there are outbreaks but the disease is largely controlled and shielded from the public at large?

Id prefer something along the latter. Vaccination will also us achieve that. Provided we don't let things go nuts until we have enough vaccinated.
    People stating we have to learn to live with covid don't actually live with any disease in that sense and I really don't feel they understand just what living long term with a high level of endemic covid would mean.

We have vaccines that can avoid that. No point in coming this far to regress.

Did you mean to quote me? I don't remember saying anything about not vaccinating.

We're already at a very high level of at-risk people vaccinated. I'd prefer no-one to die but at some point there's a decision to be made. We can continue a massively risk-averse approach with 10% unemployment and businesses shut down or we can hurry up with vaccinating and accept a certain level of illness and deaths. When the majority of deaths are of people who are above average life expectancy then tbh my main reaction to it to shrug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Boggles wrote: »
    Extremely valuable data on vaccine effectiveness in the next 2-4 weeks.

Isn't the UK mostly inoculated with AZ (60% effectiveness against Delta)?

Genuine question as I've lost track/interest

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Over 80% of the adult population vaccinated, and 60% of those with Astra Zeneca. Current new vaccinations are mostly Pfizer and Moderna so that ratio will be changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Turtwig wrote: »
    Ehh? I think you've got the wrong poster there. Just a few weeks ago wadacrack posted a FT thread suggesting delta may not be a major problem. That was optimistic iirc. Then last week they posted the latest FT assessment which was more concerning.

That is not a constant narrative of doom and gloom.

Yeah you could be right. Wadacrack did post above about the USA and it does say in the article just because the Delta variant is there ( 10%) it doesn’t necessarily mean there will be a sharp uptick in cases. Looks quite positive on the whole. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,177 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

robinph wrote: »
    Over 80% of the adult population vaccinated, and 60% of those with Astra Zeneca. Current new vaccinations are mostly Pfizer and Moderna so that ratio will be changing.

They decided not to give the over 40s the AZ - mostly Pfizer instead. And they are vaccinating people in their 20s now. So the numbers will change a bit as they continue vaccinating the under 40s.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I don't mean to sound sensationalist, but it looks to me that this variant is going to cut through unvaccinated populations quite quickly if given the chance. The US has large pockets of unvaccinated in certain areas (red states), so even though they have reasonable national vaccination coverage that varies widely depending on the area. This variant is a problem that could accelerate quite quickly, but only in localised outbreaks.

We don't really have that same problem, but we do have a large chunk of people not vaccinated yet. The challenge will be to suppress the spread until we do. If we are sensible it should be very manageable.

I read an interview with Drosten in Germany recently and he was quite blunt - he thinks 100% of us will be exposed to the virus over the next few years, so either get vaccinated or take your chances with Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

robinph wrote: »

Is that not 80% first dose but 40% fully vaccinated?

hmmm wrote: »

I read an interview with Drosten in Germany recently and he was quite blunt - he thinks 100% of us will be exposed to the virus over the next few years, so either get vaccinated or take your chances with Covid.

Ah natural herd immunity in just a few years :pac:

Yep keep rolling them sleeves up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,970 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ShineOn7 wrote: »

62.1% first dose, 44.9% second dose.

They don't really have concrete data on severe illness yet, the 30% odd effectiveness first dose is people who become symptomatic.

The BBC are suggesting 5% hospital rate on confirmed cases, no idea where there got this from.

I can't imagine it being that high, if it is, that will could potentially mean trouble.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Is that not 80% first dose but 40% fully vaccinated?

80% with one dose and 55% with two doses. Give or take a bit.

I don't mean to sound sensationalist, but it looks to me that this variant is going to cut through unvaccinated populations quite quickly if given the chance. The US has large pockets of unvaccinated in certain areas (red states), so even though they have reasonable national vaccination coverage that varies widely depending on the area. This variant is a problem that could accelerate quite quickly, but only in localised outbreaks.

We don't really have that same problem, but we do have a large chunk of people not vaccinated yet. The challenge will be to suppress the spread until we do. If we are sensible it should be very manageable.

This is my understanding too.
    Ireland is in a good position. Just we need to be careful. We need to delay the delta as long as possible. The more we have fully vaccinated the better. Public Health England have indicated the possibility that risk of hospitalisation from the delta to the unvaccinated is double that of the Kent variant. We just need to stick with what we're at and monitor our situation closely. I think indoor reopenings may hit a snag but it's too early to tell yet. Our vaccination program is going really smoothly at the moment. We have also suppressed the delta so far.

Hardyn wrote: »
    In the last PHE report it showed 383 hospital admissions from 33,206 cases of Delta. That's just over 1% so definitely not accurate.

Yeah but the spike in hospitalisations have typically come 4-5 weeks after the spike in cases. So they might be looking at 4-5 week old cases and seeing 5% of those people being hospitalised - or something similar to account for when you would expect to see cases turn into hospitalisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

The main symptoms of the Delta coronavirus variant are headache, sore throat and runny nose. That's the same as the common cold and different to the 'standard' Covid symptoms.

Loss of smell has fallen outside the top 10 of common symptoms .

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57467051.amp

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Hardyn wrote: »
    In the last PHE report it showed 383 hospital admissions from 33,206 cases of Delta. That's just over 1% so definitely not accurate.

How many of the 33,000 are partially or fully vaccinated.

I believe that around a half or a third of the infections with delta are partially vaccinated.

Its also worth noting that there is usually a lag between infection, symptoms and hospitalisation. From experience earlier in the pandemic 80% of the 383 hospital admissions from delta would have been cases 2 weeks ago.

How many delta cases were there in England at that stage.

Yeah but the spike in hospitalisations have typically come 4-5 weeks after the spike in cases. So they might be looking at 4-5 week old cases and seeing 5% of those people being hospitalised - or something similar to account for when you would expect to see cases turn into hospitalisations.

Sorry I made a mess of that calculation so that number's not accurate. Looking into it a bit more 5% is probably high but not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭landofthetree

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,253 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Someone go tell RTE that the vaccines are highly effective (still).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Good news. Schools closing seem to have helped us here too it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

We just need to get the finger out and get as many vaccinated as possible before autumn when we all head back indoors.

In a welcome sight i seen my local MVC had a massive queue outside it waiting to go in. Hoping it was due to a large number of vaccines available and not incompetence

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Like people here and anyone with sense said all along.

The media, especially RTE need to be called up on all this variant scaremongering.

If that's true its great news.

Chris Whitty just referenced it in his presentation.

So where does this leave those that have had the Jansen vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭Polar101

Upcoming headline: "8 out of 100 chance of hospitalization"

:P

Anyway, that's reassuring to hear.

Got my text for my second dose on Thursday. Couldn’t come sooner:pac:

• Advertisement

There's no news like bad news. A positive development like that will inevitably get buried. Baseless speculation about clogged hospitals is order of the day, in conjunction with advocating delay of reopening "just in case because you never know". As if indoor hospitality and the airline industry haven't been burnt enough already. Arra 'tis grand shure, the "I'm still on a full wage so let them eat cake" mentality prevails in Montrose.

Advertisement