Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Who did Cahill have doing the S&C this year? Does anyone know? He had a good team in Tommy Ryan for a few years. Let him go last year.

Anyone see Cahill questioning Shane Brophy local journalist with Nenagh Guardian, have to say if he's like that in public imagine what he's like in the dressing room, one win in 8 Munster round robin games, it was a valid question to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭osullic

just saw it there. Not a good look at all. If only Cahill could instil that level of self belief and defiance in the Tipp team. 🤣🤦‍♂️🤬

Terrible that this is seen as a sign that someone still has "fire" in them, real shame the journalist didn't stand his ground here.

https://www.tiktok.com/%40thepremierviewtip/video/7373411548712291617

Post edited by CorkFenian on

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Coodykeegan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Coodykeegan

He hasn’t a lot to work with but it’s clear he’s a rubbish manager anyway. It looks like the players are afraid to tell him what they really think.How he can have the support of the team is a mystery. It looks like he’s going to be kept on and if anyone speaks out they’ll be left out for as long as he remains there. Any other manager in any sport would be sacked without question if he had a 12.5 percent win rate over 2 years. You wouldn’t see this kind of carry on in Fawlty Towers. It’s probably an ego thing at this stage. If he leaves now, he’ll be considered a failure. He’s continuing in the hope that he can somehow redeem his reputation by turning things around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 CJThurling

seeing how well willie maher is going with laois, is there a chance he will be in the running for the Tipp job. He's got the reputation to back it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

John Mullane giving massve credit (Throw in podcast) for Liam Cahill to have the courage to take the Tipp job when nobody else wanted it (conveniently forgetting there was already a man there that wanted it) and saying not only should he be given a third year but also a fourth. You'd think Cahill was coming into a rubbish set up with no players the way Mullane was talking. I'd say Cahill was expecting to win an All Ireland with this team and wasn't just coming in to 'save' Tipp hurling because it was so low. Also Eddie Brennan criticising the reporter who asked Cahill if he was staying on next year. Surely this is standard practise if a manager is struggling badly as a couple hours earlier Shefflin was asked the same and had no problem answering it.

Post edited by YabaDabaDooley on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,747 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Laois were atrocious last year. This year they were fvaourites for the McDonagh. Nothing impressive so far at all for them.

Their be-all-and-end-all is the McDonagh final. A loss is a complete failure of a year.

Yes hardly objective critical analysis. Its an area that GAA is poor in, IMHO.Look,what would Liam Cahill 2022 version make of Liam Cahill Tipperary results up to 2024, thats all you need to know. Hopefully he will be removed soon enough..He's not the manager he had built himself up to be, nothing wrong with that, no shame in it, hes doing something only a handful of Tipperary people, will do every decade, its time to give someone else a go. This talk of an extra year after the 3 year contract is quite frankly b***ocks talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Dan Quirke scored three first-half goals the last time Tipperary and Offaly faced off in an U21/20 All-Ireland hurling final. Interview with Dan about that day 35,000 poured into O’Moore Park and how his son Dillon replicated his success in 2018:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-41406419.html

He'll probably have to do well with Laois at McCarthy level. He's doing a great job there. Brought in a lot of youngsters and has had a huge push against him from some of the older players. They've already pushed out one of his coaches and good friend. Big push coming against him before next season. A lot of player power there. But he's getting a tune out of the younger players.

I hear Cahill has brought over a 100,000 grand off his own bat before the season kicked in. And put in another plan which is set to bring in more before next season. So his standing with the county board is high. He also helped put together structures for the u19, and a series of development squads the last two years. Himself and Mikey are working on a pathway to a senior structure - that's what he's on about when he says future proof. He's also managing the senior team. For me, that's three different jobs. All important ones but he has to make up his mind which one he is doing or delegate properly. If he is that good at bringing in money, perhaps should be given the job of hurling director and let him away with that.
    There's any amount of hurling coaches, tacticians, and analysis people Cahill could bring in. There's a good variety of them involved in a lot of inter county set ups at a lot of different levels around the country. And if Cahill is wise, he'll put together a tactical team to come up with a plan to suit what he has got. Needs to seriously shake up his backroom set up going forward, on many levels.

One thing Michael Ryan and especially Liam Sheedy were fantastic at was assembling a very good backroom team and trusting them with it, seems to be absent here that type of planning, but then the two guys worked in a professional setup (Bank of Ireland) for many hears and knew\saw proper structures about managing people etc in modern environments. Read Pat Gilroys impact on Dublin etc, Limerick have this, Kinnerk\Kiely extremely professional people. Look at the coaches and you will see the difference in their teams. Very telling nowadays rather than 10 years ago.

Can anyone here honestly say that Cahill has anything like a coherent game plan?

Are you saying Cahill helped raise 100K or that he has a benefactor that he knows bringing in that money, thats not what hes there to do, thats a bad sign if your manager\coach has to do that.

Overall its not a good state of affairs if a coach with his record is saying that he's bullet proof, I have a feeling he has a lot of support on this thread in general which is fair enough. I had thought 2 years ago it was harsh on Bonner but that Cahill won things and he'd follow suit with Tipp, it obviously has been the opposite of that unfortunately.

Post edited by CorkFenian on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I heard recently all the clubs had to give 1 to 2 k to tipp board as they were struggling. Hardly true..

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭farmerval

On the whole funding piece, the Co Board had a meeting with all club chairmen, bemoaning the County's finances. The last agreement with the GPA on expenses and extra collective sessions, plus extended backroom teams plus underage now being round robin format are driving costs up a lot.

Apparently their plans to raise funds were poor at best, seemingly very underwhelming.

If the U20's win the final I am sure the Co Board will look at leaving Cummins there and go for back to back, then leave him succeed Cahill if next year fails again.

Not what I would do, but them I'm not in charge. Is Darren Gleeson getting a good tune out of Antrim? If he is his CV would be stronger than Willie Maher's?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Paddy mccormack hugh loss for the u20s tomorrow night

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

No management looks like they have a coherent game plan when things are going against the team and tipp at present are made up of very average and a couple thirty somethings who still outperform the younger average players

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hon the footballers

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Commiserations to the under 20s. Offaly the better team on the night and congrats to them, fine crop of hurlers. Our lads fought to the very end, and we'll definitely get a good few off that team. They will have regrets over the number of frees and the 2 goals conceded. We should have changed tactics earlier but don't want to take away from Offalys victory, fully deserved.

• Advertisement

Strange game in a way, Offaly the better team, yet if our goalkeeper didn't hand them 1. 2 in the second half the outcome could have been different.

Similarly to the Cork game, when our half forward line didn't win the long puck out we were very vulnerable to their running game. Our lads looked well coached, calm on the ball and always looking to make a better chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭riddles

I would disagree with pointing the blame at the player in question they are young lads giving their all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Goalie was good for tipp, I think offaly tactics were better, low balls into forwards , when bunched, lads were waiting for de pass. I thought offaly knew what they were doing, while tipp were more off de cuff

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

turned out to be huge , but brendan didnt help on the line with the tactics i feel , he's a a top class pundit and a fine player in his day ,but why play one man up and two really good lads in mccarthy and o'donahue out the field , in th erare occasions that both men found themselves 30 yards from goal they looked dangerous

to be fair screeaney was excellent though

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

Offaly hurled, Tipp played very structured and rehearsed way and when offaly blocked it , then tipp were fairly void of something creative instead

I think you're correct about our better players brought too far from the goal, however much of that was to stem the bleeding in under our puckouts. A bit like against Cork when we didn't win our own puckout we looked very vulnerable to their pace. An awful lot of their frees were won around the middle of the field.

In the first few minutes, Offaly had two sweepers yet our backs were caught out being way too loose.

I accept what you're saying, I was clumsy in trying to point out that there was actually very little between the teams.

The Tipp players responded really well to each setback. Offally's free taker scored 11 placed balls and Tipp scored 4 plus the penalty. The Offaly frees were all earned, their running and slick passing were something Tipp couldn't counter effectively.

Fair play to Offaly. That’s the full set of inter county all Irelands in both codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 TipperaryFox

As a parent with a son involved with the Celtic Challange team I am scratching my head after the fiasco in Nowlan Park today. I, like most Tipp supporters loved to see Tipp aim to develop more players by entering two Celtic Challange teams. The competition by its very nature is a development competition and is crucial for late bloomers. With Tipp Blue progressing to the final the decision was made to drop players from the Tipp blue squad and draft in players from a team that had been beatin in the semi final. To make matters worse not only were the extended minor panel drafted in but one player even started today from the 24 that played the munster minor final. Not only is this an awful look for Tipp nationally and against the rules of any competition, but horrible for out own players who earned their place in an All-Ireland final. They met a KK team that had played together since Feb without their minor panel members and were deserving winners today. I feel for our lads who were badly let down by egos on the sideline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Advertisement