Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Options
1110111112113114116»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Charlie69

I’m a proud Kilkenny man but I had to come on here to congratulate the Tipperary minors on their victory in the all Ireland final this evening. The heart they showed when it would have been easier to throw in the towel was just incredible and it was a privilege to be there to see it . Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Jake mullen will be good yoke in future. Yere centre forward I thought was going to run riot. He went v quiet then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Charlie69

Ah look we have some great chaps there and so do Tipp, I thought yere number five and three were immense but I thought we were very poor on the line tonight and the game was there to be won but Tipp deserved it for their absolute refusal to give up , hit some wonderful scores under pressure and absolutely deserved to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Comerman

Well said Charlie 👌as another Kilkenny man I'm here to say well done to an excellent minor team especially to number 3 who did an excellent job on Mullen tis a shame to see so many new names on the Kilkenny thread just to sneer etc. They are still kids and deserve respect for the work they put in, best of luck for the future, we'll meet again 🍻

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

As a Limerick man, I never thought I'd see the day when I would be shouting for Tipp. But today I was right there in spirit with the fans. That was a better game of hurling than most the senior matches this year. Tipp players, in a horrible situation down to 14 after 8 minutes and 13 after 27, to go on and get the draw while very nearly winning, then hold on for the win in extra time... every team of every sport and every grade should watch this match to see how pure doggedness and belief can win. Stunning stuff.

Granted, they were helped by a KK side that just didn't seem to click at all, but still, what an achievement. Massive congratulations to the Tipp minors, if we're still winning in a few years, these Tipp lads will bring a very strong challenge. The win will do a huge amount of good for Tipp hurling in general I'd say. What a game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭larrya

Best team definitely won and fair play to all the Tipp players they were immense.

But the behaviour of the management team was pretty poor on the side line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i genuinely think that is the highest standard i have seen at this age group, if half them players from each team maintain that level going forward they will be on senior panels by 21 or 22 years of age ,

a lot can change between now and then , but by right this game should have been played next saturday or sunday in croke park

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Watched the game as a neutral to night and delightful to watch two teams go at it with such honesty in their play, none of the senior type of negative play, Tipp deserved the win alone for the performance of the 13 men for such a long period of the game and genuine hurling won out, and this will build huge characters for the future of Tipp hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭julyjane

I agree, having the minor final as a standalone fixture outside of Dublin is great for players and supporters alike. When they used to be played as curtain raisers for senior finals croke Park was usually near empty at the start and many of the people trickling in throughout the game only showed a passing interest because they were there for the big one. €90 tickets etc. Whole families were attending in kilkenny today for less than €90 in total and what a game they got. Well done to Tipp and Woody & management team they were well prepared and fully deserved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Great guts shown by your boys. Being from Cork I started off not being too bothered about the result or referee calls but like many others here the young Tipp lads won me over during the course of the match and I was delighted for them in the end. And to do it in Nowlan Park, a credit to their county. There was a spell I think it might have been in injury time after 60 mins where the hooking and blocking was incredible. That match will be referenced for many a team in the future in how not to give up no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Field east

what an INCREDIBLE achievement for this Tipp team.
    Tipp’s record against Kilkenny - at most/all grades over the past 10 years + has been fairly poor. So with the continuance of this ‘domination’ , Kilkenny would already be 3+ points up before the ball is thrown in

And with the match being played in Kilkenny’s ‘Home of Hurling and before a home crowd, we can add on a another point or two.

A further DISADVANTAGE for Tipp was the TWO RED CARDs issued SO EARLY in the game.

They/the management are an INCREDIB LE bunch to having overcome all of the above obstacles.

One hopes that Tipp GAA will get analysed in GREAT DETAIL how this bunch achieved what it did and I still it into every team that represents Tipperary

TBH our record recently has been good against Kilkenny, bet them in league in nowlan last year, wins in 16 and 19 senior all Irelands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

So Tipp manage to beat Offaly with 14 men with a last gasp goal to win the minor final in Nowlan Park couple years ago and win with 13 men v Kilkenny in Nowlan Park last night. Both games showed great fighting and spirit in the face of adversity.

Tipp v Kilkenny is a great rivalry. Some fans on both sides take it a little too far with the 'hatred' but most see it for what it is.

Before last nights match i make it 6 wins apiece in minor finals with Kilkenny having win the last two and Tipp's last win all the way back in 1976.

So Tipp now leading that rivalry 7-6 in finals, lead the roll of honour on 22.

A pretty good ending to the year for Tipperary hurling after enduring a taxing few months earlier on.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

On what was a very disappointing year for the seniors, the result last night was a great lift for the whole county. An All Ireland of any shape should be celebrated, but to do it in the circumstances was exceptional. Pure grit, graft, determination and never giving up - particularly impressive when the opposition on the night are renowned for those qualities.

Hard to talk about the game without addressing the red cards. 1st was exceptionally harsh, by letter of the law yes, but I think most would agree yellow. 2nd one I did think was warranted. Had the ref applied the rules as strictly in the 2nd half, you could argue 2 Kilkenny players could have seen red also. Went against us on the night, would wonder if a more experienced intercounty ref would have made the same decisions.

Ref should not be the main talking point, as the performance the 13 players on the pitch produced was phenomenal. You thought at the end of the 2nd half they would tire and Kilkenny would make a burst to win it, then the same in extra time but the fitness levels they showed was remarkable. The blocking, hooking, digging the ball out of rucks was spectacular. Towards the end Kilkenny really resorted to a lot of long range efforts - partly due to inexperience (understandable) but also I think because they had little joy against the Tipp defence. Strange thing to say in a game where we conceded 3 goals, but overall the defence was on top. Cathal O Reilly curbed Mullen's influence a lot, and David Ryan was hardy throughout. Loved seeing Euan Murray dropping back helping the defence too great outlet for working the ball up the field.

Forwards deserve immense credit. Half forward line ran themselves into the ground, Ryan, O'Brien were running all night. Full forward line had a tough job to get on the ball given Kk's spare men. One noticeable difference early on was the accuracy of our forwards compared to Kk's. They took their scores much easier. Murray in particular scored some spectacular points in the 2nd half. Billy O Brien's winner was made all the more amazing considering he had a shot come back off the inside of the post earlier in ET, but the composure to score later on was exceptional.

A special word for James Woodlock, while many criticize his actions on the sideline, given how 2 major decisions went against Tipp I think it is a bit more understandable - and lets be honest probably was there to help drive the players on. 2 All Irelands in 3 years is some achievement. Our Minor Finals are becoming known for drama!

Wins in Nowlan Park are rare for Tipp hurling, so this one should be cherished. That team has been excellent all year and thoroughly deserving Champions. Hard luck to Kk, I've no doubt they've been working hard all year too and this must be hard to take. No talk of who might make it to Senior off this team etc. Lets just celebrate the win. Hon Tipp!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Unbelievable win, wow this game will be talked about for a long time anywhere there is hurling…..Wow!!!!!

I think parents\management must have felt so many emotions especially in last few minutes of full time. Unreal!!!

Great to see our supporters so vocal the other night, we don't always bring great crowds but we can be v noisy like wexford in 2019 our supporters were v vocal and it definitely helps the team. The minors were like men possessed and were feeding off the crowd energy. Makes up for the shite we had to listen to in 2013 from the home support. Woodlock even mentioned it in the post match interview.

https://x.com/SportTG4/status/1807842631960952936

If carlsberg did montages.

Post edited by newhouse87 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 TipperaryFox

Looking at Clare and Cork yesterday, what have we to do in order to get back to that level again? This years' c/chip has been the most evenly contested in a long time. Galway and Tipperary will feel they are a long way off the pace however. Limerick, Waterford, Clare and Cork are all ahead of us going into 2025 and KK should see a lot of retirements so I have my doubts about them. Can anyone see us jumping the pecking order next year? The minor did put a gloss on the season but u17 is no indicator of future Senior inter-county hurlers and I have a feeling the hype that went with it could do a lot more harm than good in the long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Banjo Carney

Everyone thought there would be no stopping Limerick this year so who knows. Granted we have work to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Seadin

I think Tipp will be back into the swing of things next year. Ye don't be down for too long even with transitions of players. Munster be hard to call next year. Cork have to play Limerick and Clare away so they will have a big task to get out of Munster I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I don't see how Waterford could be considered to be ahead of us?

With regards to the Minors I think it is very much under selling it to simply say it put a 'gloss' on the year, it was a huge win and the belief and mental toughness that those young lads got from that night will stand them and Tipp well in the future. Minor and U21 success is of course no guarantee of senior success but is a good barometer - Limerick and Cork current teams are good examples. Look at the last great Minor team that Tipp produced and the success they went on to have at senior - Brendan Maher, Paudie Maher, Mickey Cahill, Seamie Callinan, Bonner Maher, Noel McGrath and a number of others all came off that same minor team. Tipp have now won two minor AI's in three years with two completely new teams, that is a fantastic spring board.

The Greatest Show on Earth begins this weekend. Get on it. Weekend passes at the end:
    https://embed.futureticketing.ie/c/tipperary-gaa/?ftredirect=1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,006 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Some exiting start to the county senior championships. Plenty of big scorelines around.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Great game between Clonouty and Kiladangan - 7 points up in injury time… that will hurt.

Advertisement