Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 684 ✭✭✭farmerval

We were a little stale looking today, between Ronan, and Paidi and Barry Heffernan we must have had 7 or 8 wides, our passing between defenders was poor, the receiving player always seemed to have to readjust taking those valuable seconds before we delivered the ball forward.

The whole sequence leading to Seamie's miss in the second half seemed to typify our day, Noel seemed hesitant to take it on himself, the pass to Jason wasn't great and Seamie miscued, the greatest goal scorer we have ever seen miscuing was symptomatic of that slight malaise we had today. Even John McGrath's shot lacked venom, great save but just didn't have the power you'd expect under the circumstances.

It's so very hard to interpret who played well or not, Jamie Barron looked man of the match after ten minutes, was barely seen again.

It was probably Jakes poorest game for us, Seamus Kennedy coming on didn't really change anything, our other subs brightened us up alright. I thought Paddy Cadell had a good game.

What next for Tipp, presumably retirement for most if not all the 2010 contingent. What will our management team be next year. Crucial time coming up, really bad year underage so that dampens hopes a little. The successful 20/21 teams have missed out badly on top class hurling with the Covid fiasco. Those not on the senior panel would normally have colleges and greater club competitions to aid their development but our next generation of seniors are missing that logical next step coming out of underage.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

i would personally like to thank those great players for the great and not so great days they gave me and my family for the last 10 years

pauric And Brendan maher Kennedy heffernan Alan Flynn Noel McGrath breen Dan McCormack callinan are all probably going to be cleared out

sad to see it, but should have happened last year

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

It’s not a bit odd to see Tipp sloppy when they’re playing a type of hurling that’s totally unnatural to Tipp players. Backs passing the ball across the back line , trying to run the ball up the center and equally bad was Ronan and Barry refusing to deliver nice ball to the forwards even though they had time to pick their spot . If Eoin kelly in his prime had been playing today, he’d hardly have got a touch of the ball with the quality of ball going in

Id have Dan back next year. Still young, and a good war dog. Noel and Bubbles may still do a job off the bench. i think Seamie, Bonnar, Brendan and Paudie will possibly retire anyway. The problem is, other than Liam Cahill who may not leave Waterford unless they win the All-Ireland, we have feck all other obvious management candidates. Darren Gleeson maybe, but he is still learning his trade really.

We are in a dilemma. Sheedy has proven he is no longer a real competitor. No good for blooding youth....but if he goes, then other than Cahill, you have a lot of dross. Look at the recent underage results to see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Fair enough point but still the ability for a 20 yard pass to stick should be second nature to players at this level. I can't explain it, maybe they were feeling panicked in some instances but it was happening when they were in acres of space on occasions too so I'm not sure that's any mitigation. Just found it perplexing really and it had a bearing i think.

Agree on the quality of ball. Not good enough. Dan hit three awful ones into no man's land in the first half alone but not sure he's the guy i want to be in those positions to begin with. A problem we had was having too few targets up front to aim at on account of dropping fellas deep to cover runs. A bit of robbing Peter to pay Paul, perhaps.

To the chap above suggesting Dan (among others) be cleared out, stop with the waccy baccy lad, it's addling your brain ;-)

• Advertisement

trust me when I say that If tipp do get Cahill , fingers crossed, you won’t see the majority of those players wearing the jersey again. If you can’t see that you don’t know hurling

Cahill has to be got no matter the cost. There is no one else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

Let the lads chat among themselves. I think they're auctioning for Arsenal TV.

Dan was clearly injured. Not sure what happened. But he was up front before he was taken off.

It's just bad form. It happens. You'd say the team was finished, a dud, if they didn't create chances. There was a tonne of chances on offer today. Loads of them.

And the simplest of passes and finishes were there to be taken.

That's what will really hurt today. They had the chances to

Why was Bubbles taken off so early? Four points from play? Would he have finished those John McGrath chances?

Doesn't matter now, I guess. But those are the questions that need to be asked.

At least, we have plenty of options if Sheedy does go. And that's not a foregone conclusion either. You'd have to ask are players confused re-game plan? Are there too many chefs in the kitchen? Dunne, Kelly, Sheedy, O'Shea, and Egan. There's plenty of options to go for. And a load of talented coaches and managers up and down the county on the club scene and plenty of Tipp men operating around the country.

Interesting post-match interview here. Reading between the lines, I reckon he might take it if it's offered. The County Board should act swiftly at the end of the championship.

https://www.the42.ie/liam-cahill-waterford-tipperary-5511537-Jul2021/

many in the county board don’t like him

liam talks straight , he will tell them he has full control, they are there to provide money and admin assistance nothing else

he will also be outspoken on footballers interfering in hurling business

of the 2018 and 2019 u20 teams for the last 3 years of sheddy only 1 player from that good bunch has been given any real consistent chance - jake Morris.

i find that says alot about sheedy and his management team. You could make a way more competitive tipp team for a mix of those 2 u20 panels then what was on show today.

• Advertisement

It's hard to know what it was.

You could say the Mahers hit bad wides. They did. At least, they took the game by the scruff and went after it.

Callanan two goals and then the deliveries got worse and worse. Right into the corners. Even Dan was guilty of that. Direct was working.

Noelie, some things didn't come off, but the amount of goal chances he created. His running off the ball created so much space. A blind man could see how effective he is as a creator. Younger men were a lot less effective.

Maher bros, Heffernan, Morris, Flynn, Kennedy, Brendan didn't deliver in terms of effective delivery. The wides from distance were bad.

And yet we still didn't take the multiples of chances we had. Should have won that game. If you effectively create the chances to win a game, it's not a game plan or tactical issue. For instance, if you look at Galway's games they were bereft of ideas. Created a few goal chances against Dublin and dropped completely out of the game. Finished strongly against a team down men and tired. Galway never got going as a unit. Sometimes, it's just the other team's day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Why is he a Judas and why shouldnt he get a chance to be head coach if he wants it? He has a good record as underage coach and has good experience at senior inter county level as well.

Even Jesus forgave his Judas on the cross by pronouncing father forgive them for they know not what they do

Let’s remember that people.

Anyone know why the penalty was given?

Your top comment 🙄 What we've really come to expect from you at this stage. Never can offer anything resembling facts to back up your own opinions but always on the ready to cast your aspersions on others.

We coughed up 4-28 today, and a good chunk from play. Before Callanan got his first goal, we relied on a last-ditch tackle and fair play we turned it over, but it was clear to anyone who had an equal or greater vision to a welders dog that the fitter and fresher team were Waterford from the off in spite of it being their third week out in a row. You can lament missed chances all you want while ignoring that we had narrow escapes in our own goalmouth, and then there is the hook and tackle count. We couldn't get near them and they created pockets of space all over the field

I think most Tipperary fans are in agreement that it was again a huge monumental effort from the team and there is no doubting their undying commitment to the cause, but the team was crying out to be freshened up. Anyone who follows hurling that I spoke to was in the agreement including a few journalists, most former hurlers in the media said the same thing..... but we are all auditioning for Arsenal Fan TV apparently 🙄

God only knows. A bizarre decision. Not why we lost though.

2019 I was at every game that year and tipp went well in Munster until the final but even after the final I felt had a good chance of getting to the all Ireland and even winning, still had Limerick as favourites though

but i Remarked to a gooD friend of mine at the homecoming that year that the age profile would become a serious problem if some of the senior players did not go quietly into the night

I agree those senior players do not owe tipp hurling anything, but I equally agree tipp hurling owes them nothing either

time to move on , will the young bucks be able to bring Liam McCarthy home, who knows because they will need a couple of years to get their bearings at senior

but I can tell you with absolute certainty we will not win another all Ireland with most of that team that started today

• Advertisement

No doubting the incredible work rate of Tipp this year. But we could have won the game had we delivered more ball in to the full line . Unfortunately for us seami could not win a ball he had to run for and jake had to deal with bullets coming into his corner . Larry would have got no hat trick in 2010 , had he these boys delivering ball in today . Keogh and John Mc were a big addition in the full line

Im not disagreeing with you for a second. We had chances, I agree and we wasted a lot of ball shooting from silly distances and yes you could argue about the quality of the ball. We also turned over quite a bit. However, we were blocked down on loads of occasions, our touch looked a little laboured, and I think that Waterford was taking two steps to our one. We have badly needed an injection of youth since 2019. Im not saying that there should have been a panel cull, but the panel needed reengerising badly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

It is definitely worth calling out that although we came out on the wrong side, the lads never stopped trying until the very end. In defeat we tend to overlook it, but they never let the heads drop in fairness to them.

Very interested to hear why this was given. No one using it as an excuse as Waterford were the better team and we had plenty of problems, but it just adds to the list of strange penalty calls that have happened this year. I'd be surprised if there isn't more in the last 3 games.

96 shots in 70 plus minutes of hurling. Tipp took 51 of those shots.

Not disagreeing with your point. Of course, absolutely no doubt that a huge effort was there. the management was poor though this year throughout. If i was 100% sure that Cahill and Bevans would come in for 2022, I would be saying good luck to them. No excuses. A good flood of youth players and they brought through f-all.

Aaron Browne

Eoghan Connolly Brian McGrath Craig Morgan

bryan Omara paddy cadell dillion quirke

ger Browne Jerome cahill

colin English billy seymour Conor bowe

jake Morris mark kehoe cyan darcy

Give that team above two years in a proper senior setup and they would beat that tipp team put out today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Shows what a crazy game of hurling it was. As open a game as I've seen in years, maybe since the 2013 all ireland final. Very entertaining in its way, but without the hits, it lacks something for me anyway. Someone mentioned 2010 above but that seems a lifetime away to me now, entirely different game and mindset now. I don't know do we have to adapt to these modern trends for running and possession or can our traditional style reassert itself. I'd love to think so anyway, but not sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Agree regarding management. We had a lot of problems between selections and tactics this year. Some of last years problems weren't worked on. I wouldn't consider it a certainty at all of Cahill coming to Tipp next year, if he set himself a goal with Waterford or committed to a certain time he seems like the type that would see it out first. I do firmly believe we have a good crop of young players coming through, but we have to be patient to give them time. Its taking longer to transition now from Under 20 to Senior.

Just on the age profile of our side

Breen, Dan, Barrett, John Mcgrath, Seamus Kennedy, John Meagher, and Forde played on the same minor team in 2011 and could potentially be the old-heads heading into 2022 (Most around 27-28 now). Bubbles is a little older and Ronan a little younger. Of the class of 2010, all could potentially give it one more lash, but Noel looks mostly likely out of that lot. In fairness, I would hope that a few of them are willing to put the hand up to come back, but i don't think realistically they can be starters. The team needs re-energizing big time. I think Sheedy has run out of credit in the bank. Im not sure id trust him to make the necessary changes. I would hope he would, but if he didn't do it this year, it's highly unlikely.

• Advertisement

TWO YEARS!

hahah - You think you can take an entire underage hurling team and transplant it onto a senior side and that's how it works? Mother a god.

When was the last time you seen Craig Morgan, Jerome Cahill, Colin English, and Cian Darcy play?

I've never seen Eoghan Connolly at corner back - what a waste of talent... - where'd you come up with that?

Where's Robert Byrne?

Where's Devon Ryan?

Where's James Quigley?

You don't watch the club scene do you?

Post edited by formerlyET on

Advertisement