Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Dark day for the footballers, not looking good for the year.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Hopefully they can turn it around throughout the league. But the players they've lost is bound to affect them in a big way.

I thought Cleere was terrible again last night. He' s just not an intercounty ref.

The Tipp to face Kilkenny is named as unchanged from the Laois game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭farmerval

Sunday will be interesting. Will show what way the management are looking to play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭timmymagoo

what You reckon of munster this year, can tipp make the top three?

for me it’s going to be Limerick, Waterford and cork

if we could manage to beat Waterford in the opening game we might have a chance, but lose and it will be tough going

it’s hard to gauge the new talent and honestly we won’t know what we have until the Munster championship is over

I think If we could get out of Munster and make a semi final and be competitive it will be a very good year

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

We seem to forget that we’re the only team last year to make limerick look ordinary , albeit for 35 minutes. If the ref had the guts to send off Gilane , who knows how the game would have worked out . Against Waterford, sheedy was way too slow bringing on John Mc . Callanan missed as much as he scored against Waterford. A few small things could have swung our year . Looking forward to the round robin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Weird game so far. Kk the better team. Seem to have much more pattern to their play. This system is new to Tipp and it is showing. Kk much more purpose going forward but their shooting is very poor. Tipp forwards much more accurate with ball in hand. Goal was a gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Tipperary are leading with about 30% of the ball. So nice little plays but 2 average teams in comparison with last nights heavyweight clash. Morris took his goal very well. I like Morgan is the corner...abit light but then most of the team are.

The Jersey looks awfull with the red writing on the back and the back on the front

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Weird game, Kilkenny hit loads of wides, both teams had periods of dominance. Worryingly in the third quarter we appeared to fall asleep in the middle third. Kilkenny had loose men everywhere.

Jake Morris is probably our best inside forward, but yet again he end sup out the field, back in the half backline near the end.

It was nice to win it, we've been losing those games for years now, nice to get on the right side of it for a change. I thought Ger Browne played well, as did Morgan, Paddy Cadell had a good cameo near the end. Disappointing to see Seamie with a poor miss near the end, just for his confidence. Last year he looked like it wasn't just coming as easy to him as it used to.

Barret Man of the match for me. Dan McCormack was quiet. Our two starting midfielders were quiet. Hard to see any change in pattern under the new management.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭newhouse87

2 poor teams who wont be anywhere near championship honors, kilkenny are producing very agricultural forwards these days. Dont like the short passing style we seem to be trying to implement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Strange game. Kilkenny may feel aggrieved not to get a drsw, as they did seem the better team over the 70 mins. We inherited their shooting in the second half, some very bad wides. Kk seemed much sharper than us, better first touch and ball handling. An awful lot of bad handling by us (we dropped the ball a lot when trying to catch it) led directly to chances for Kk. We made heroes of their half back line with puck outs. Needs work. Also not sure about the Denis Maher experiment - didn't work today, he's physically very strong but his striking and movement is too slow for intercounty level. Tried hard but not working out. Ronan Maher and Paddy Cadell definitely settled our back line for the finish. Was nice to see us come out on the right side of a 1 point win vs Kk for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭timmymagoo

That tipp team started with quigley, Morgan, quirke wing back, Ger Browne, Denis Maher who are all new

kehoe under sheedy barely got a start even in the league in the last 3 years

tipp have a lot of rebuilding to do and any result like today should not be dissected too harshly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Just so many light players. Like what have the likes of Morgan and the other young fellas been doing in the gym. There's some green shoots but would anyone give em a chance with the temperature turned up and Limerick turning the screw in the white heat of munster championship

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

I'd have some hope in that the madness of Dan McCormack taking long range frees ended today. So, that suggests management can learn from mistakes.

Now, let's see how long they persist with Denis Maher as a starter - I'd like to see him as an impact sub - and as a man who comes on to the smallest defender and takes him to the edge of the square. Regardless of who is in full forward, Denis doesn't always have to be the full forward on the fullback. It's a bit too obvious. If that means two full forwards - so be it. Management needs to get their thinking caps on here. Use his strengths on someone's weakness.

I'd like to see Craig Morgan play as the loose man in defence. He has the hurling, he has the ability to make the short and long pass. But he will get out muscled at this level. So, why stick him in a corner?

Cadell has to start the rest of the games.

We know what Ronan brings to the table, no panic in starting him yet for me. He settles the whole team.

Would like to see Ger Browne in full flow on a dry day. But he hasn't set the world a light yet. Has his club form warranted this chance? Is Bonnar hoping he plays himself into confidence? Hope it works out.

Midfield must be a major focus. Breen and Flynn won't work. Flynn is not a starter for me: very important squad player who can cover A LOT of ground - a great sub to have. If Quirke, Kennedy and Ronan can nail down the half wing spots. I think Cadell and McCormack might be worth looking at, at midfield. I think Brian McGrath can really add something to these positions too. The loss of Bryan o'Mara and Connolly (a natural out-and-out midfielder - the best in the club championship this year) can't possibly be understated.

I hope Barry Hogan gets his games soon.

I'd like to see Robert Byrne, Brian McGrath, and Eoghan Connolly playing in the half-back line soon. The same two teams in a row? Okay. But let's see what we have too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭newhouse87

This throwing the ball is getting out of hand, pardon the pun.

Nice to get a win against kk in a tight match. Was an important win and I thought the players showed alot of character as the game went on. Yeah we didn't play particularly well and looked quite nervous but that's to be expected early in the season.

We had to adjust our game plan, we don't have the ball winners to be playing the long ball. It's going to take time, won't happen overnight. There was alot of passing for passing sake early on, but I think the players will figure this out as they go along. Also at times we worked hard playing it out from the back but then launched high 50/50 balls into forwards who were isolated, that just defeats the purpose, the idea should be to work the ball to a player around the middle who then plays low diagonal ball into the forwards.

Thought Morgan and Quirke were very good, jury still out on Quigley and the midfield pairing. I think Cadell is worth a shot here and move Breen onto the 40. Kehoe can't seem to bring his best stuff for tipp and Browne might be more of a midfielder. Denis Maher probably a bit slow and one dimensional for this level.

Lots of positives to take on though. Definitely a work in progress but going in the right direction.

Thought KK were really poor, looks like their worst team for 20 years, most of those lads ain't making the panel 10 years ago. No doubt Cody will keep them somewhat competitive in Leinster at least.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 204 ✭✭Repo101

Wasn't impressed yesterday but lots to work on and I suspect more changes to come. I felt as if Kilkenny played better but their woeful shooting really cost them. We hurled for short periods and it was enough. It's good to see CB trying out some lads but chances aren't being grabbed. With Cadell, Ronan, Bubbles, Bonnar and 3 McGraths there will be plenty of changes come the Championship. If we are going to play short passes with more bodies in the half back line then we will seriously need to improve the delivery into the forwards which were 50/50 balls, often pucking it towards an isolated forward in a 2 on 1. When we did get decent supply into the full forwards, KK and Huw Lawlor cleaned up, similar to what happened against Laois. Callanan and Maher aren't quick enough to play the role that is being asked and I do worry that we are playing a game to try and catch Limerick instead of playing to our strengths.

Right now, I don't think we will see much of Croke Park in the summer.

It's interesting how you and others can find "lots of positives" in this "important win" while simultaneously dismissing KK as being "really poor"? Isn't it "early in the season" for Kilkenny too? Didn't Kilkenny show "a lot of character" too by clawing back the lead more than once? Tipp won by just one point despite Kilkenny's shocking shooting, maybe Tipp are really poor too?

Well both teams were fairly poor for most of the game, I said it's the worst kilkenny team I've seen in 20 years, you may not agree but that's just my opinion.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

I'm not sure how important it is. A good morale boost, perhaps?

I think KK showed fight and character. But given Cody's length of time in charge and how long he has been building with players. Given Tipp are starting out with a new inter county management and a new style of playing, this is a game KK should be winning. I know KK were missing the Ballyhale contingent but Tipp were missing many players too that will be starters come championship. KK should have won that game yesterday.

I'd wonder if Breen could do with a new position to freshen things up for him?

And as discussed Denis doesn't have the pace to go to the wings and collect ball. But would Breen? Might be a worth a try. He certainly won't lack pyshicality in there either.

It's hard to be certain though, one instance which looked thrown pass on the telly, ref gave the free but on another TV angle they showed it again and it was a good pass and should not have been a free.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Breen is a player I'd hate to see sitting on the bench because he has so many great attributes but games can pass him by. Some days excellent the next invisible. Could play anywhere really, wing back could be an option but I think he'd add a bit of spice to the attack.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Not sure about tipp missing many players..not a betting man but I think the team tipp finished game with was near as makes no difference full strength..big guns all came on as subs..noel McGrath and a couple others perhaps

Sorry, but I have no idea what that means.

You're not sure what players Tipp were missing. Then you say you don't bet. Then you say Tipp finished the game with a team that makes no difference to a full strength side? What? The big guns all came on? Then you say Noel McGrath and a few others were missing?

I'm completely lost.

Anyway, Tipp were missing just as many players as Kilkenny.

Thinking back on yesterday there was a bit of a change in our style, we carried the ball forward a bit further than under Sheedy. For years we had Noel dropping as an out ball receiver and then distributor from roughly left half back area, then last year it was Ronan in roughly the same area sending long ball to the full forward line.

Now if we want to carry the ball further forward like Barry Heffernan did for two great scores we need midfielders who'll get on the ball more. Previously Michael Breen suited the hard running into space model getting onto well distributed ball and scoring. Now I think he needs to go to wing forward, may be his best position, has a massive engine, he looks well good enough to be a modern wing forward up and down the field.

It would be nice to see what Cadell and Ger Browne could do in midfield, might get a nice balance. Alan Flynn is hard to figure, he's around the team and panel a while now without nailing down a spot. Could wing or corner back be his best position?

I hope yesterday proved that Ronan needs to be centre back, what a man when the chips are down. Impossible to say about full back from yesterday, The modern full back is such a demanding position, demanding tremendous athleticism along with all the other attributes.

Where is Barry Heffernan of most value to us, he's really becoming another cornerstone of the team. Himself and Barrett and Ronan are ones we will build our defence around. Be great if Brian McGrath could bring his club form to the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Apologies for my lack of clarity..was trying to say in my opinion tipp finished the game with the majority of their championship team on the field..most of the big guns came on to finish out the game..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

This passing out of defense style is just copying limerick . By the time we perfect it , the game will have moved on . We tried running the ball out last year against limerick and conceded 1-5 , should have been 2-6 . You could spend months working on that style and.perfecting it and then the opposition stick with 6 forwards and the plan is useless and you have to go back to traditional. The reason it works so well for limerick is because they have 6 competent backs and 6 forwards who can win the long puck outs so most opposition let them go short

Advertisement