Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

I agree but wily or not won’t change his hand

some fine players in tipp but lots of inexperience and out middle third is poor compared to other counties, always has been

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

Bonner maher is and has been the most important hurler in tipperary ..he is the only forward that consistently rolls up his sleeves and digs ye out of trouble..its great to have forwards that can score from anywhere and do magic things with the ball but when the pressure is on you need someone like bonner..breen is similar but not nearly as consistent..

Even our great dj needed john power beside him foraging as ger canning would say

• Registered Users Posts: 29 challengerbell

I, like many was disappointed with the second half yesterday, primarily the last 20 and the attacking shape. I have been swaying from optimistic to pessimistic all league but the league is the league is the league, just as it is for Galway and Limerick. Weve been poor in leagues before but primed for championship.

Barring the first 2 games, there have been a lot of team changes week on week, as promised. There is also a new game plan and S&C team in place.

The biggest disappointment is the attacking threat, especially for goals, is hardly present.

So realistically, Colm Bonnar didnt have the league title as a priority this year. Its less important than deepening the squad, developing the new playing style and a new S&C plan. Its hard to do all 3 of these things and expect to be competitive early doors.

On the player front. Two decent young goalies. Morgan, Bowe, Browne and Kehoe have shown well so far in my book. Thats 4 new young players from the two u21/20 wins raising their hands. I hold up a lot of hope for Brian McGrath, just not in the FB line, and think Connolly will be a great player, just in a year or two. Quigley has been solid too. The remainder, Quirke, Byrne have done little seriously wrong but have not shown as well.

John and Noel McGrath, it has to be remembered are not back long, and I hope they are on a path to peak come April.

On our chances, they rely on a few things.

1. The S&C has us peak when we need to peak
    2. Our attacking plan takes shape - this will have to be fine tuned internally
    3. Noel and John McGrath as experienced attackers are set to peak in April - they may be the pivots on which we turn.

If these happen we are a match for anyone. We need the two McGraths at peak form now for the simple reason that in January, we thought we'd lost the experience of Brendan, this has now unexpectedly stretched to Brendan, Paudi, Bubbles and Seamie with Bonner only finding his feet after a long stretch off.

There are questions over us, and fairly enough we would be ranked 4th or 5th in Munster atm, but I think we have a serious punch in us yet.

My team, and I could probably name 5 different line-ups and iv moved a few around the lines!

Hogan (either)

Barrett, Quigley, Morgan

Kennedy, Maher, Heffernan

Noel McGrath, Browne

Breen, John McGrath, Dan McCormack

Morris, Forde, Kehoe

Subs: Hogan (either), Bowe, Cadell, Brian McGrath, Flynn, Callanan, Connolly, Quirke, Byrne, Bubbles, Patrick Maher, Denis Maher, Paul Flynn

Thats a team with a perfect age profile, a good mix of experience and youth in most lines. Class, strength and pace with serious impact and cover available on the bench.

Noel is pivotal to us now in MF as the link from the 65s into the forwards, Forde has always impressed me at the edge of the square. Morris and Kehoe look an exciting team. Experience in every line. And impact off the bench. A sharp and recovered Callanan, a classy Bowe, great flexibility in Cadell, Brian McGrath and Flynn and possibly Bubbles and Bonner Maher too. Connolly, Quirke and Byrne to give more defensive depth. Its not a bad squad of players who just need to be primed. Theres 28 players named there.

Maybe I am just too optimistic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

That's probably our best team although I'd definitely have Bowe starting instead of one of the McGraths.

Still really up against it to get out of Munster, munster teams seem to all have serious pace which we lack and as soon as teams run at us we're either opened up or we're fouling.

Lots of our younger players are tidy hurlers but lack physicality, pace and aggression that you need at the top level.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Very good, balanced post.

I think we've played with two in the full forward line all year - I doubt that will change. I think most if not every team is doing that now. Most teams set ups against Limerick, in particular, completely withdraw the full forward line and let Limerick's full back line have the ball. And just say, come break us down.

I think Bonnar did the right thing yesterday. Removed our best battlers from the team - McCormack, Kennedy, Callanan (not by choice in the end), and we haven't seen Bonnar this year. Lads got a real taste of what it will require in the future and that will stand to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 challengerbell

McCormack and Morris could both drop deeper from their positions, added cover at the back and leave Forde and Kehoe in. Forde ended up inside at the end of the Dublin match and nearly won it for us. I think he could be a serious threat in there and youd hope with Noel, John, Breen and Browne (if he finally gets his sight in) we still have the mid range shooters to keep the score board ticking over.

Breen is better in the HF line than midfield. McCormack and Browne adding some workrate and mobility around Noel who can help things tick.

Its a big and physical HB line aswell.

With the experience we are down at the minute, I cant see it as an option not to start the 2 McGraths.

If everyone is fit

Brian hogan

barrett Ronan Maher Morgan

Brian McGrath Kennedy heffernan

noel McGrath Flynn

John McGrath breen McCormack

morris kehoe forde

and play it very defensive

The Tipp Team to play Antrim:

Brian Hogan

Cathal Barrett

James Quigley

Craig Morgan

Robert Byrne

Ronan Maher

Seamus Kennedy

Dan McCormack

Barry Heffernan

Conor Bowe

Noel McGrath

Michael Breen

Jason Forde

Mark Kehoe

John McGrath

Subs:

Barry Hogan

Ger Browne

Eoghan Connolly

Cian Darcy

Paul Flynn

Enda Heffernan

Patrick Maher

John Meagher

Brian McGrath

Gearoid O’Connor

Conor Stakelum

Strong team

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

That could be the same starting v Waterford. When you look at that 15 and bench I think we will do well to not finish bottom of Munster

• Advertisement

No Cadell or Flynn on the 26. Maybe picked up knocks - or a sign of the pecking order? Is that John Meagher's first time on the bench?

I'd have hoped to see Brian McGrath get more game time - not in the full back line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Up to 7 is pretty close to what our championship team will be like. Could see the wing back positions still up for grabs. I'd prefer Heffernan at 7 and Cadell or Browne in midfield with Dan. We lack ball winners in the half forward line - this game would be a chance to give Bonner some game time, put more doggedness in the half forward line. Good to see Forde back in the full forward line - he's our best forward and we need him closer to goal.

Full time

Tipperary:7-29(50)

Antrim:1-17(20)

Anyone at this, thoughts on the game?

Antrim were resting players because they have a relegation play-off to deal with - game has to be taken in that context.

Oh absolutely - opposition has to be taken into account. More curious what tactics we played, use of the ball etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Denny61

Tipperary footballers had a good win ..win nxt sat against London and we promoted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Paddico

A great turn around in the league. Lets hope it continues at the weekend.

Also, a few footballers dont seem available from the past few seasons. anyone know what the story is with these lads.

Steven O’Brien

Alan Campbell

Emmet Moloney

Philip Austin (assuming retired)

Liam Boland

Kevin O Halloran

Liam McGrath

I know Steven o Brien is injured, should be back for championship. Philip Austin retired. Liam McGrath has been down in Australia the last few years, AFAIK he's back and played with Loughmore last year surprised he wasn't drafted onto the panel. Rest I don't know.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Anyone know anything about the Tynan lad who used to be with Munster Rugby.

Last I heard he was called up to the senior hurlers but haven't heard anything since

I've heard he's been playing a few challenge games recently but is on the fringes of the panel.

Anyone hearing rumours of bubbles retirement?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 38 89tipp91

Good to see the highlights, thanks 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 38 89tipp91

Bubbles ruled out for 2022 due to injury, link on RTE sports

Yeah, I've heard Bubbles is out for the year with a knee issue. He tried to train but he will need another op it seems. He played with the injury all last summer but it never went away and got worse. He can't shake it yet.

Don't pay any attention to anyone saying he is retired. Unless it comes from Bubbles himself. Bubbles himself will be talking hurt for a while because this is a huge blow. But talk of retirement is just rumours at this stage.

Hopefully, still has a bit to offer.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

As far as I know he was goi g back to Australia again so that’s prob why he is missing

Jesus its really hard to hold onto any good footballers we have. Thats 5 or 6 top players that have opted out or emigrated/gone travelling.

Doesnt happen in hurling where theres no shortage of talent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

The hurlers couldn't keep the 2 UL boys for the summer..

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Advertisement