Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭farmerval

looks a good team.

Barry Heffernan and Jason Forde with a point to prove after the last day. John McGrath starting will be interesting, he really needs to get his county career back on track.

The debutants played well last week, Sunday will be another test.

I have no real idea about Clare, even what kind of league they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Clare team v Tipp:

E Quilligan;

R Hayes, C Cleary, P Flanagan;

D Ryan, J Conlon, D McInerney;

S Golden, C Malone;

R Taylor, T Kelly, D Fitzgerald;

P Duggan, S Meehan, I Galvin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Yeah as expected but a little surprised to see John McGrath given how little time he got last week. Hopefully he has a big game. Really is a knock out match for us so hopefully we can get the job done. Clare are decent but if we've any aspirations for this year we need to be beating them in thurles.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Hopefully John can start to find consistent form.

A bit lacking in pace now - I don't like to see Forde and Noel shoulder to shoulder. Shouldn't be on the same line for me. I doubt that's how they'll line out.

But we do have very creative players who can open up a defence now. Be interesting if the side has the right blend of grunt and creativity.

But due to Bowe's injury we will miss that pace he was bringing to the party. Be interesting to see how it pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Tipperary hurling can forget about winning games until Colm Bonnar is gone.

This is a f*cking embarrassment. Plenty around me talking about heading away at half time. Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Denny61

Bonnet only took job as others just saw no talent coming through plus a lot of the old regime were either retired or on the wrong side of 30 ..sad.but all counties go through a phase of rebuild

Bonnar took the job because it's a country mile above his level and if he weren't at Tipperary he would be sniffing around Westmeath or Laois for work.

There can't be no talent coming through - that is utter boll*x - there has been plenty of recent underage All Irelands.

As bad a setup as you'll ever see from an intercounty manager.

First half was nothing short of a disgrace with the failure to rectify Clare's blatantly obvious plan of pulling the half back line out of position and creating tons of space for runners.

Second half was go long to the full forward line. A fella down the pub could tell them to do that?

What system is he trying to introduce? A f*cking sh*t one which he moves away from to route one stone age stuff as soon as the team is under pressure.

Tipperary will never win anything with this pretender in charge. If they have any pride they'll make arrangements to get rid of him at the end of the championship and get in a decent manager from outside the county.

Make absolutely no mistake, this team will be getting beaten like this next year and the year after with Colm Bonnar in charge. Get rid of him now. Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Thats as bad as iv ever seen a Tipperary team prepared. The management should resign straight away. The players aren't even playing for them. They didn't push on at all in he second half when chances arose to mount some sort of comeback. No fight whatsoever and only for Clare having a dodgy keeper who kept lamping ball down on tipp half backline then it would have been a 20 point loss. There are no positives from this. Both McGraths and Jason Ford are totally finished. They need to start a complete rebuild Monday morning with a new management and about 10 new players.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Jaysus that was bad, first off before I mention any defensive structure our players for whatever reason were stuck to the ground, slow, ponderous, clare out hurled us, out fought us, were faster, fitter and hungrier. No matter how you set up if you don't have the above you're at nothing.

Now the half back line were brutal, lost all shape, Ronan Maher is supposed to be captain, extremely experienced, they shouldn't need Tommy Dunne there telling them were they're going wrong.

That's probably our season over, two games left and would be nice to see a few more of the younger players given a chance. Bowe was missed today, we badly lacked pace, hunger, likes of John McGrath and Forde probably have their best days behind them and really lack any speed to trouble defenders.

2 weeks to regroup and go again.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

A load of crap .what all irelands..sure if Callanan was playing. We would still have ten of 19 all ireland winning team..where is the recent underage talent in that team.so..go back to bed you know nothing about hurling

What All Irelands? Are you for real?

Tipperary won a Minor All Ireland in 2016, an U-21 All Ireland in 2017 and an U-20 All Ireland in 2018.

Don't tell me there is no young talent when we had that level of underage success in successive seasons - that crop of players are in their early to mid 20's right now, they should have been blooded in recent seasons but weren't. Just because Sheedy had no interest in building for the future and trying to squeeze the last drop of blood from a a tired old stone, doesn't make those players not good enough.

A proper manager can cultivate the talent that was good enough to win 3 years on the trot at underage level.

Now piss off you absolute f*cking clown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Christ that was probably the worst 1st half I've ever seen by a Tipp team. I'm not convinced Clare were that much better than us by what the half time margin suggested. We handed the 3 goals by pure naivety. It was obvious our half back line was being pulled up the field too much and left far too much space inside. I'm mystified on how the lads on the line didn't rectify this sooner.

Players came out and didn't throw in the towel and made a fight of it in the second half, but we left far too many scores behind us today.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tipp 77

Feels like a fifty fifty game today. Very hard to know what Calte

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tipp 77

Not going to name individuals but there were players out there today with multiple All Ireland medals who werent leaders in Walsh Park last week and same again today. I don't know were they carried by Paudie and Brendan Maher and Callininan and Bubbles but they should not hold their places against limerick. Sitting on the half way line in the old stand with all of Clare around me watching that fiasco was as bad as it gets. We didn't have a first touch it was second third and fourth sometimes before they got a hold of it. Clare capitalised on our mistakes but we beat ourselves.Stupid lazy wides forwards (apart from Noel McGrath ) letting lads waltz out. Going for hard passes for goals when we needed points. Luck outs going to the ankle instead of the hand. Still no midfield sorted. It's a cluster that won't get better soon

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭supernova5

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Kylie06

Barry Heff has turned into tos hamil!

24th of April and the season is basically over. That's a demoralising thought. Was Jake Morris even on the pitch today . Any idea what changes can be made immediately. Colm Bonner needs to hop it asap.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,839 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Think it will be like ourselves down in Waterford in 2019 and the current Tipp management will resign at the the year

I do think you'll finally get your Liam Cahill as Tipp senior manager in 2023 as sadly i can't see him stay on for another year in Waterford

Such a bad performance.

A lot of people pointing the finger at Bonnar. That's only the head.

Very few players came out with any credit.

Missing the target from three yards out?

Must have had near enough to 10 goal chances...

Chances converted was shocking.

Being out fought? Being out thought? Being out battled?

Preparation me arse.

Performance was nowhere near last week.

As far as I'm concerned, that performance was on the players.

Such a lack of commitment, urgency, energy, and heart.

Massacre in the Gaelic Grounds awaits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

I do think you'll finally get your Liam Cahill as Tipp senior manager in 2023 as sadly i can't see him stay on for another year in Waterford

He has alot of work to do to bring Tipp back again. They are arguably the worst team in the Munster championship right now.

Winning under age all Irelands .does not mean you will win senior all Irelands...so you know nothing about hurling .you are the clown

It's as clear as day that the players don't believe in this management team.

Now you can say that they should show some pride regardless and I agree - but say they do that, maybe they get a few points closer today but they are still soundly beaten.

When players don't believe in management they don't perform for them - you might not like it but we see it time and time again across a multitude of sports and sporting teams.

Bonnar should not be in the job and is responsible for the results of this team. His reign began with a defeat by f*cking Kerry and it hasn't gotten any better. He was responsible for the shambolic tactics in the first half and the stone age display in the 2nd half.

Today was the worst Tipperary performance since Lar Corbett followed Tommy Walsh around Croke Park and even that day we had a solid first half. You can't say that about either half today. That lost Declan Ryan his job just as today should see Bonnar swiftly moved on.

Either we try again for Cahill or we look outside the county. There is talent in this team that needs good solid coaching and a proper gameplan. I'm not saying that it's going to be like what it was when we had the once in a generation group of players from 2008-2019 but there is enough there to be best of the rest after Limerick, and then who knows, maybe on a given day you catch them or someone else does.

What is very obvious though is that this is not going to get any better with Colm Bonnar in charge. As referenced above by @PTH2009 Pauric Fanning was given the Waterford job and was clearly never up to it - and he has gone swiftly back to his level, which is club hurling. Waterford that season still had mountains of talent but were poorly coached and the players never bought into Fanning. They have proved that in the years since then. Just as I expect us to get back to being competitive very quickly if we get a good enough manager in place.

I've never seen a Tipp Team so ponderous and dead on their feet.

Tactically we were brutal, short puck outs to corner backs that were then supposed to carry the ball through contact, play some one two's and then play the ball forward? Very hard to do against a team retreating in front of you. In the second half Brian Hogan was slow pucking the ball out, you'd think we were in front.

Did any of the starting forwards deserve to stay on for the 70 minutes? Jake Morris is a corner forward, not a chase out the field player. His loose style out on the half line or midfield does not work. Dan McCormack and Jason Forde were totally anonymous.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

Really shows up how good Paudie,Seamie ,Brendan , Bubbles a younger Noel and the Bonner were . Maybe this’s as good as we are . I don’t think they lacked fight . Just greater strength and cohesive hurling for this level

Ah they did lack fight I think. When the Clare keeper dropped the ball into the net I thought 'right nows the chance to fight back'. Then nothing ...a few atrocious wides . They were so bad and you wouldn't mind but the half backs played ok for long periods of the second half. Hard to see any chance against Limerick..probably a token 5 min backlash and then the usual long fade out. What happened John McGrath, it looked nasty I've a bad knee injury.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

I'd agree with every word of that.

Brian Hogan would age you, waiting for his puck outs.

The configuration of the forwards was head scratching. I said that before the game.

Dan wasn't in it - but so were so many. Maybe you couldn't question taking him off - but I wouldn't have taken him off at half time. I'd have given him ten mins at least. One of our best battlers in the ruck gone - god knows we're short on ruck ball winners.

But I still can't look past the effort of the players today. It was putrid. There was no tactic as crazy as following Tommy Walsh around. It was a collective failure as a team.

The first half of hurling was the worst half of hurling I've seen from a Tipp team. It was pathetic. No guts. Got bullied. Bullied. It was lamb stuff. Weak as tissue up front.

I knew after they missed the two early goal chances it wasn't looking good. But it just got worse and worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

tactics were terrible if there were any today for tipp in the first half , against a fairly strong wind in the first half you would think bonner would drop someone back especially with such inexperience in the back 6 , or even after Quigley probably the best of the newcomers went off , in fairness in the second half the tipp half back line cleaned us out but i still dont know exactly tipperarys game plan was

maybe ye got caught like we did in 2019 , we beat waterford in the first round of the championship had a week off then played ye in ennis , ye beat us out the gate , our win in waterford that year was played at a flat pace we assumed we were better then what we were and paid a very heavy price for it

i wonder did the same thing happen today , that game in walsh park last week was also very flat and error ridden at times , that tipp performance today had nothing but recovery sessions and short passing drills in training all week written all over it today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

look that has to be the main talking point tonight in tipp , not how bad but how much we need to rebuild , clare were missing players too but you could see today that tipp leaders were missing not players , think munster without the likes of jack o'donohue or mahoney

• Advertisement

There was a terrible lack of conviction about much of Tipps play today, particularly the forwards. The couple of goal chances that we ended up pulling on we couldn't even get a decent pull on the ball. Ger Browne added a bit of Zip to the team.

After 5 minutes it was obvious that Clare were isolating Quigley and Craig Morgan, but we never reacted to that. Even when they broke ball we never had anyone back to tidy up.

Before today I was thinking even if we don't get out of Munster, at least beat Clare and be in the hunt for four games, get a chance to see what the newer players are like and maybe find a decent 15. The last two games will be painful. looking at the bench we really look like we have a very threadbare squad.

Barry Heffernan is not working in midfield, he's taking too much ball facing his own goal. One of his great attributes normally is his ability to break forward onto pop passes or breaking ball. Our "tactic" of the corner backs breaking the tackle carrying short puckouts forward would be suicide against Limerick.

Advertisement