Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

I wouldnt condone behaviour of the type you describe. Sorry to hear that happened. I assure you most Limerick supporters are the best you ll come across.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

Great effort from all involved. Colm bonner giving his all on the sidelines. To me , it looked like a bad training session game for limerick. While we hit and tackled everything we could , most of limerick scores were taken by players standing on their own , limerick players continually clearing balls with no Tipp players within 20 yards, never happened the other way round and won’t happen in most other games in the rest of the championship . As hard as we tried, I doubt limerick players will enjoy as easy a game as this one . Since last year we’ve lost bubbles, seamie ,John Mc ,Ford , paudie, Bonner, Niall o Meara , very hard to recover from these losses so soon . I doubt limerick could carry that sort of clear out either

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

Hopefully at some stage limerick will run out of luck and will get a ref who is not Afraid to hand out the reds

gillane should have walked today for the filthy strike , another red not given against limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Jizique

Callinan will hardly play again, and hard to know if Noel McGrath will go next year

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

Hardly that’s bad really, Ronan does that every Sunday, he only holds the Hurley a lot shorter when he does it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Some green shoots today.

We left goals behind us. Breen left about 2-2 behind him. You need to be clinical when you get your chances. No issue of S&C or fitness evident. And idiot would think so. The injection of momentum goals give you are crucial - Limerick were carried like a wave on goal energy when they got them. Tipp deflated by wides and missed chances.

We made them think. We marked up the hurlers and forced their two spoilers to hurl. That put the game on our terms. But Limerick broke out of this stranglehold after the second goal - it was a huge moment that really brought the crowd to life and shifted momentum to them. Goals are big in these games.

Most of our young players, due to a lack of experience, went high ball as the game went on - when we should be going low - particularly when working the ball up field. They'll learn a lot from this.

Still think Devon Ryan, Sean Hayes, and Sean Ryan would be better placed for this type of game plan. Those players were trialled in hard winter - they should be on the panel.

Byrne should have started ahead of Cadell.

Huge decision to be made here=

There's a collection of players here - Breen, Heffernan, Kennedy, Forde, Dan McCormack, Flynn, John McGrath, Paul Flynn - Stick or Twist? Are these guys going to become generals or have they been lieutenants too long to make the jump to real leadership? Will they learn from the year and up it to the next level of leadership? Or do you go clearing a number of these and bring in a younger generation and build a future team for three.four years time?

All the panic on here about S&C, game plans, and transition? We see this all the time.

They said Galway had finished us in the 80s. Clare had apparently changed training and the game forever, and finished us in the 90s. Then it was Kilkenny. Then it was Galway again. The wheel kept turning and this wheel will turn too.

Every team has a life cycle. And Limerick and Tipperary or any team will be no different.

Noel McGrath, best player on the field. Just sheer class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Would I be right in saying 3 points in the last 25 minutes? You won't win any games with that, we can't seem to keep it going for 75 minutes.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭farmerval

Through this year so far our conversion of goal chances has been poor. We've been a bit panicky near the goal, twice today with Kehoe, Breen twice also, Jason Forde early against Clare, against Waterford as well. Even the few loose balls that we end up pulling on have been poor efforts.

I only saw the game on TV. I thought we played quite well in a containing way but had very little in an attacking plan. Also thought we ran out of puff late on.

Finally the 20's 21's are coming through and showing that they're made of stout stuff. Our composure isn't on the level of Limerick when we're in possession, over the three games we very regularly turned down the easy option of playing to a man in space to take on more risky choices. hopefully we have something to build on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Advertisement

45-50 mins Tipp had 2-2 for the taking and missed those opportunities. That was the game. Anyone who has played the game, know how that saps you - particularly away from home. And next there's a goal the other end... Limerick took their chances. Clinical. That clinical mindset can be worked on and there's only one way to learn, Experience. But that's why I also find Breen's missed chances so hard to take...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Tipp Camogie have had a couple of really disappointing matches recently. Firstly the drawn Munster Semi-Final with Clare and then losing to them in the Replay today.

Those are very bad results - Clare team is awfully young and inexperienced at County Level (but have a lot of Scariff girls who'll be brilliant in a few years)

A sub as a minor, a sub as an under 21...

Conor Stakelum would not have been on everyone's lips for a senior bow. The lad has obviously worked hard. Fair play to him. Put in a real shift today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

As an outsider watching Tipp today i think the future ye'll be ok. In fairness to Bonnar no manager could cope with losing players the calibre of Pauric Maher, Brendan Maher, Seamus Callinan, John McGrath and start shooting the lights out right away..you basically have to redesign the whole structure of the team, i think there is some exciting young players coming through there who maybe could have been given their chance earlier., but Sheedy persisted with the older lads in the hope to maybe squeeze one more AI.. Some teams develop later than others..Bonnar has a track record of developing young players at colleges level and i think he's the right man for that job at this time..a few years down the line when the team is ready to push on then you could bring in a bigger name manager to challenge for All Irelands which i expect this Tipp team to be in the mix for.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

A successful team will always attract clowns and yes there is absolutely no call for that kind of conduct.

However, there was also 27,000 at the Waterford game. Do you think ALL OF US were there to dish dirt on the Decies. I am going to matches for sixty years, through good days and many bad ones, and like most supporters I only ever went there to support my own county and most definitely not to dance on any countys sporting grave. I have witnessed many many fine Tipp Supporters and a few nasty clowns, who disgraced the Blue and Gold. These latter bucks are to be found everywhere and only show up when a team are flying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Paddico

Hardly posting on here for the fun of it.

Kiely was a few years ahead of me in the Abbey. I'm a few miles from outside Tipp town.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

I'm from Co Tipperary not Co Limerick.

Why do you think I post here regularly??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

Just for the record the Abbey won the Munster B senior Hurling and All ireland B in 2016.they won the Munster B senior Football in 2015 and again this year 2022. They would have won it last year only due to Covid the final was not played. they have been highly competitive in Senior Hurling in the last few years losing out in semis by the minimum. They have also won titles at Under 15, 16.5 etc in both Hurling and Football

The abbey only play soccer in first year and have reached Munster A semi finals at this. Have won numerous Musnter Rugby Cups at B and C at all ages.

The school has only about 300 students. They are punching above their weight as they are highly competiitve and regularly beat Clonmel High School . who has 800 plus students and also Cahir and Cashel schools. My son Is in the Abbey and has yet not to win a trophy in any of his years there.

The current Tipperary Football captain teaches and coaches there. There are members of Limericks backroom team that Coach there. There are teachers who have won Munster Club titles that coach there. To say they are not successful at any sport is just wrong and incorrect.

The biggest issue with the Abbey is that some parents think there is too much focus on sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭ozymandias10

double post

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. The spoofing that goes on here about Kiely, Bonnar, and Tipp underage is off the charts.

For sure Evolving.

Tipp v Limerick on this weekend in football. Shame it's not on the box for those who can't make it.

Should be a good game.

That is a shame because they've had some right battles. Two developing teams. Limerick having a great year.

Pat Ryan of Limerick apparently head butted a Tipp player late on Sunday evening.

Not sure who the Tipp player was though

Its going to be close but very tight for Tipp.

No news out yet. Whats the story with Bill Maher?

Is Mark Russel still out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Surprised with this, firstly that they were drinking and secondly that they were in the same pub.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Bill Maher went off with a hamstring against Waterford.

I haven't heard anything on Mark Russell.

Stephen O'Brien might be fit enough to start.

Robbie Kiely is nearing fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Kylie06

Robert Byrne

• Advertisement

Fantastic minor match. Some impressive players on view.

Advertisement