Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

The players are not going well and in a one off game Kerry have a chance

the pressure on the tipp players would be unreal , to be a member of the tipp team that was relegated to the McDonagh cup - the embarrassment you would never live down

that’s pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CornerForward10286

also that final, if it happened is not until end of June. how do u keep players motivated until then?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

The public have stayed away because they don't believe in the management ticket, and the early defeat to Kerry and the dismal showings in the league did nothing to tell anybody that this season would be anything but what we got.

Our win v Kilkenny was an atrocious game of hurling, we were terrible v Dublin barring the last 10 minute comeback attempt and the Antrim game may as well have been an U-16 challenge match for the level of intensity on display.

People can say what they want about supporting the team through thick and thin, but there's no enjoyment in days like v Clare and v Cork. I was at 3 of our Championship games and all 3 of them made my day much, much worse by going to them.

It's not cheap to go to games anymore, even moreso if you have any travelling to do - especially with the cost of petrol and the sheer amount of games in such a short time frame.

I've rarely felt so low as I have after the Clare and Cork games. Why would people want to subject themselves to that?

Hopefully the County Board get the message loud and clear regarding what ticket sales will look like next year if this farce is allowed to continue.

It was as obvious as the sky being blue that we were going to get hidings after hidings this year under a man so far out of his depth. And it says a lot that he couldn't see yesterday coming, or doesn't have any answers as to why it happened.

you can’t , and I doubt the tipp CB are going to pay the costs of the training from now until that maybe game. We are talking thousands of euros to keep that team training for what could be 8 weeks

i just hope Antrim do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

What about Darragh Egan?

Went into Kilkenny's backyard and got a result.

Has actually got a team out of the round robin and into the next round.

Has a sideline presence!?!?!

Don't know if you any of you ever saw Egan hurl as a club hurler? A spicy piece of work off the ball.

Two major worries about Cahill:

1. Can't keep his mouth shut around a mic - just let's rip. Keep your criticisms for the dressing room and stop acting the hard man in front of a mic. You'd never hear Cody or Kiely or Sheedy talk ill of their players, no matter what beating they took or trouble they got in. Always keep it in house.
    2. Leaks from the dressing room. Control of players. It's out everywhere now, Waterford players complaining about being over trained in the lead up to games. They're already putting the blame on him. Pushing back against him after he hung them out to dry. Cahill was talking about a sit down with players yesterday. Trying to save face.

These are things you'd need to learn as a manager. But the first one is a major worry because he likes to blame when things don't go right for him.

I watched Brian Lohan shake every Tipp player's hand he soldiered with after the Clare game. He made it his business to shake Forde's hand and to ask John McGrath about his injury. Didn't have to do that. Didn't need to. But class is permanent. Players will always play for someone like that. You'd never hear him berate his players. He'll go against everyone else for his players. Whether it's a county board or a ref, he'lll fight for them.

Bonnar defended his players yesterday.

• Advertisement

Good post and I agree with a lot of what you write

i went to all the league games bar Antrim and tipp were very poor in the games , that Kilkenny game was one of the worst games I have ever been at

tipp this year had no zip, no fight, no anger , no chip on the shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Willie Maher was back on Tipp FM last night, here are some of his comments. Many are repeats of things he said after the Clare game.

1. Losing 4 Championship matches by an average of 9 points is absolutely unheard of.
    2. Brought up the puck-out strategy again - complaining about the complete lack of it. Said this issue was across all 4 games.
    3. Stressed that we have quality players, and a lot of young players who if developed properly could be good.
    4. Complained about the lack of game time given to those players.
    5. Said that we didn't look fit on Sunday. In relation to fitness/athleticism, he said Cork had been blown away twice in this Championship already and we made them look like superstars.
    6. In relation to underage - complained that Wexford have 4 times the amount of GDA's that we have, which is mental.
    7. Said that there is obviously a confidence issue with the players, that the same issues keep cropping up in games and not getting fixed and this is going to dishearten players.
    8. Said that he had absolutely no idea what the gameplan was over the four games.

Obviously Willie probably has a personal interest in the situation given he will be in the mix again if the job opens up, but for a respected Tipp hurling brain to say that we had poor fitness, no gameplan and no puck out strategy is a damning indictment of current management.

Just saying what people are thinking

we all knew it was going to be a tough year but Jesus the cork game was harrowing stuff.

since 2019 we have regressed year on year , Kilkenny since 2019 have made the last 2 semi finals and gave good accounts of themselves in both

Genuinely What the fcuk ?

his GDA comment is worrying. these guys go into schools where kids spend most of their time. we have 1 per division which is ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Denny61

While I read all the great comments ..its pure and simple. We just have not to players anymore to beat the clares .limericks .corks of this world .let alone compete ...sadly I don't see any tipp team able to do that for a few years..the two McGraths callanan .Bonner.maher .bubbles..ronan maher Barrett.willl all.be finished in two years time..end of an era ..we sadly will be in same route as carlow westmeath antrim.. offaly ..our support will no longer be there..kids won't follow the team...the sport will be in major decline

• Advertisement

Tipperary always was and will be a major hurling county, that doesn't dwindle. what we need is to adopt our own formula, our own way of playing. we looked at 6s and 7s in munster. players are not dying with their boots on either and I'd hazard a guess, not 100 % committed to management team. we also have lads totally new to IC hurling, you don't come in and excel overnight. we have o Mara and connolly in America. I don't know how many from Callanan , o meara, bubbles, j mc grath will return. Barron few years but tipp won't be down forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

biggest load of hor*es**t I've ever head, talk of an overreaction to a team not making the top 3 in Munster round robin

yere were missing 9/10 players for various reasons, new management, players making their championship debut, even Kilkenny back in their GOAT days [2006/2011] couldn't cope with than.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

This is something which needs to be addressed asap.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

tipp are in serious trouble and the next few years are going to be tough

it may not happen this year but if we do meet Kerry over the next few years for a relegation promotion play off I think we could be relegated

the tipp CB are in charge of tipp hurling and they are 100% to blame for the situation

they run the game and they have run it into the ground.

I emailed Tim floyd yesterday and asked him given what happened this year he should resign and bonnar should too as soon as Kerry issue is sorted. That If either worked in my firm they would have been fired Sunday evening with no discussion , floyd for getting us to this situation with dreadful management of tipp hurling and Bonnar for being completely out of his depth when it comes to tactics and fitness preparation.

I asked him when the review of tipp hurlings year takes place they might consider these following queries

why were the under 20s not as physically developed as limerick - that difference was noticeable

why were the senior team so unfit and badly prepared - there was times on Sunday cork were literally walking around and laughing away to themselves

i know he won’t give a sh1t but fell good to write and send it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,752 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Good post

County Board 100% have blinkers on if they don’t move on from Bonnar

If they and him have any self respect they’d step down anyway once Championship is done (pending Kerry situation)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭shockframe

The Tipp Under 20s put up a decent show against Limerick.

Had there been a back door they would have had a good chance of making the All Ireland Final.

but if they had been better prepared physically by the CB they would have beat limerick and won the final , I am not saying Cummins or the players are to blame, the S&C for underage tipp is a disgrace compared to other counties

Some day we will as a county get our sh1t together and we will be a true powerhouse

we have the tradition, the hurling population and the money to be making last 4 every year minimum, why are we not achieving this? and why this is not being reviewed and audited is also bizarre .

the Below was issued by Jonathon Cullen - no one is more disappointed by Sundays game than the players and team management and what they now need from everyone is support and encouragement rather than criticism.

how that man is for PRO for tipp is a joke, that statement is loser talk and if I had anything to do with it he would be sacked immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

Challengerbell

Your comments on the current Limerick display Tipp Hurling arrogance at its worst. You more or less say that a few players like Lynch, Hegarty and Gullane carry them and the rest of them are only average hurlers. Hold on now. That Limerick side have beaten ye in the Munster Championship in '13,14, (years your team would been at their peak and Lynck,Hegarty and Guillane were non even near the team) '18,'19,'20,'21 and '22 and you come come on here with that supremist 'auld' nonsense. You are on about Seamus Callanan- the fact is Mike Casey, Ritchie MC and Dan Morrissey have all outplayed him over the years. In fact whenever Limerick have turned on the heat on Tipp over the past ten years the McGraths, Bubbles, Callananan, Forde, among other great Tipp stars, have been average enough.

• Advertisement

Congratulations to the Tipperary Celtic Challenge team and management who beat Galway in the final 3-15 to 0-08

Interesting enough, the B team looks a much bigger side than the A side. Some of them very big lads - who might lack speed that could be developed later in the right hands.

All Ireland Minor Hurling semi-finals:

Tipperary v Galway

Offaly v Clare

18-19 June

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Great win for the Minors, pulled it out of the fire with 1-02 in injury time after Galway had just gone in front and had the momentum.

FT Tipp 3-24 Galway 3-20

FT: Tipperary 3-24 Galway 3-20

Great performance from the Tipp minors. Showed real character - a goal in the last few seconds putting a gloss on the final scoreline. They just don't know when they're beaten. A very savvy, young team - full of character.

Two posts at 2.32. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Fantastic game today and great to get the victory. Would be nice to get some silverware for the year but by all accounts this is an excellent offaly team so will be up against.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

A very strong Offaly side. Should be a great game.

But whatever happens, Woodlock & co have great work done and are really giving lads opportunities to improve as players and the guys are improving. So, a successful year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭kala85

Where will the final be held.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Paddico

Croker I assume on all Ireland final day, no?

• Advertisement

Hearing minor final will be Saturday 2nd july in a stand alone venue, not part of a double header.

Advertisement