Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

What do you mean how does it work? Its being advertised like any job. and county board/chair etc select who they feel is best/most suitable candidate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

The person who has this job in Wexford comes from an accounting background qualified with KPMG so probably someone along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Yeah, it also says in the job spec that you need years of senior management experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 89tipp91

Brian Cody has stepped down as KK manager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭farmerval

2008 to 2019 some of the most spectacular games of hurling ever.

No tactical B*******T, no sweepers, no 12 men behind the ball. Some of those games were like gladiators, throwing everything imaginable at the opposition and they throwing back as much if not more, magical stuff. Hard manly hurling, very few dirty blows, games played at frenetic pace, there was nothing like it.

Hope B Cody enjoys his retirement, he gave loads and loads, in an arena where the demands were ever increasing he still distilled it all down to willpower and desire, don't show those and you don't get a jersey.

Crazy to think that so many KK players never played under a different manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

I can understand Colm Bonnars disappointment, but rebuilding or no rebuilding Tipp had a diabolical championship. They lost all four of their games in Munster, and he only got the job because Liam Cahill wanted to stay put with Waterford. Once Cahill left Waterford then Bonnars days as Tipperary manager were well and truly numbered. So i don't see any problem here at all, and Tipp have a better and more qualified manager for the job in place now.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Kylie06

Nobody’s calling his term a success. It’s the handling of the thing by the county board with which people have issues.

we can all read between the lines regarding what happened….bonner ‘relieved of duties’, Cahill decides he’s leaving w’ford, then he’s the new manager and within 2 days his back room teams named…

everyone knew we were in for a challenging season in terms of rebuilding….but the hammerings from cork and Clare were so severe that there was no coming back. We were completely at sea against Clare ….I didn’t see the cork game. His coach/selector left so he was a dead man walking….no need to twist the knife

Nobody can read between the lines. Especially, just three words.

I think Westside summed up the whole thing the best:

"It’s high summer and high drama in the hurling world, with no shortage of material for a columnist.

As the country was gearing up for a great hurling decider, the Tipp managerial saga broke. Colm Bonnar was “relieved of his duties”, to quote the terse County Board missive. Some might describe the wording as curt, which one dictionary defines as rudely brief. As a PR item, it certainly wouldn’t win any awards.

It read as blunt and to the point, though you couldn’t fault it on accuracy. I guess if a manager isn’t resigning then how do you go gently on the wording. “The manager won’t be continuing”, perhaps, or maybe “the board has decided that the team needs a new direction.” Anyway you put it, the message was going to be obvious that the manager was being removed from his position.

Some on television and social media immediately jumped on the bandwagon to throw predictable digs at the County Board. I wouldn’t be taking lectures from any of those. They likely know little about the background to events and would have even less interest in the wellbeing of Tipperary hurling.

In truth this decision was no big surprise. The background rumblings were uneasy for some time. It had been a troubling year, the defeats to Clare, and especially Cork, grated with a lot of people. It wasn’t defeat per se but the disjointed nature of the displays and the timid capitulations that were hardest to ignore.

None of this was directly Colm Bonnar’s creation. He clearly inherited a challenging situation and was utterly luckless with injuries as the season unfolded. What became an issue, though, was whether the situation could be rescued and clearly the board decided that it was irredeemable and a change in personnel was the only option. The stepping aside of Paul Curran and Tommy Dunne fed into that narrative.

There is understandable sympathy for Colm Bonnar in all this. His Tipperary credentials are beyond reproach. His playing career was exemplary, high on passion, the type who’d always go into the trenches when the need was greatest. Our team that died against Cork this season certainly didn’t reflect the manager in his playing days.

However, managing modern teams is a different and difficult task, one that very few succeed at. The feeling was that what went wrong this year couldn’t be put right with another season, so change was inevitable.

All of this coincided with Liam Cahill’s availability. There was a sense that the Ballingarry man probably wouldn’t persevere with Waterford in any case, given their championship collapse after such a promising league. It would have been very difficult to rouse the Deise again in 2023 after the collapse of 2022.

Suddenly all the ducks were aligned and the decision that should have been made last year happened a season later.

The new man comes in with no guarantees. He inherits a very broken situation, with lots of remedial action required to put the pieces back in place. One of his strengths is that he enjoyed major success with the younger players, which is a decent starting point. However, there’s uncertainty about possible retirements at the other end so, ultimately, it’s a rebuilding job."

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Kylie06

It’s a chat forum… people read between the lines. Get over yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Surely cahills championship was even more diabolical! He failed to get what all the pundits called the second best team in the country out of munster. However I don't pay much heed to those now crying crocodile tears for colm bonner seeing as the vast majority of Tipperary supporters didn't even bother their arse going to the games to support him or the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Waterford bombed badly in the Championship this year, but overall i think he did a good job there.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

I believe that the narrative that was played out wasn't totally accurate, I believe that Bonnar had meetings already with the Co Board. The Co Board had told him of their unhappiness about coaching etc. and requested that he shake up his backroom team. He had reverted with plans for 2023, was allowed present his plans, left to be rang later to be informed that he was being "relieved of his duties"

Kind of ironic that the shenanigans that had Liam Sheedy appointed in 2019 and Cahill losing out and were so distasteful to Cahill are to his favour now, and suddenly he has no problem with it. The episode and particularly the way it was handled doesn't reflect well on anyone. Cahill to announce leaving Waterford as soon as Bonnar was sacked and then pretending he wasn't talking to Tipp Co Board beforehand was silly, made himself look like a sleeveen.

Ultimately, having Cahill is the best thing we could hope for, if the players in his successful underage teams are to step up he is surely best placed to oversee that.

Cahill brought a new broom to a very stale set up and definitely spruced it up plenty. He brought depth to the panel, but I'm not sure he did that great a job. I don't think the team developed a cohesive game plan under him. It's a bit hard to say because some players didn't perform this year, Prunty had his poorest outings so far in his career, De Burca didn't hit the expected heights, suddenly the largest panel in the country seemed unsettled.

From having tons of players for the middle third to struggling everyday in midfield wasn't a good look. Depending on who follows him in Waterford and how they go maybe we'll get a fuller picture of Cahill's success or otherwise.

Taught Cahill did a serious job in Waterford bar the last month, over championship 2020&21 they were undoubtedly the best outside of Limerick, 1 question mark I'd have is his style not suited to round robin or just a coincidence Waterford's down year happened with the renewal of that format?

Ronan Maher out for two months with a broken shin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Didn’t know Shane McGrath was involved with Coaching the Staker Wallace Hurlers in Limerick - they had their 1st championship match out today and lost by 6

A very interesting body of work on Tipperary by Brian O'Donnell here - involves a database of records for 1,098 games and 2,600 players

http://sixtwofourtwo.com/research-tipperary-hurling-1887-2022/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,826 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Awful news coming out of Clonoulty vs Kilruane’s match today

Don’t want to say just in case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,715 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

Jesus just saw what you're referring to posted on twitter.

My heart is broken for the great county of Tipperary and the wider GAA community tonight. Won't post name here till it's official, but there will not be a dry eye when news of this particular player's untimely passing is confirmed. A devastating day for the GAA and for the Tipp people. By all accounts, he was a true gent and a fantastic hurler with so much potential. RIP to the young man. Thinking of his family and his wide circle of friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,212 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Heartbreaking news, condolences to all his family, friends and teammates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

RIP. 24. Jesus Christ.

Condolences to his family, friends and the wider Tipp GAA community.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Absolutely sick with that news oh my God heartbreaking

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Comerman

Shocking shocking news, Condolences to his family and the wider community may he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Feel sick with that news. Awful.

Know he had a history of myocarditis in the past. Unbelievably tragic whatever the cause.

• Advertisement

Can't believe it. Dillon Quirke had the courage to hurl throughout Covid despite the great risk to himself with his underlying condition.

Had to take a long time out of the game and came back stronger.

After he scored 0-4 v Waterford in 2020 in the league, he said: “I waited all my life for this, it’s a dream come true."

Too soon. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam.

Advertisement