Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Kilruane have been operating on 16/17 players. Bringing back on subs. Players missing. Players playing through injury. Just played a replay - and enjoyed a week of celebrations after their first county win in a long time. Up against the champions in their backyard. Very tough ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Standard of club hurling in tipp is very poor. Over the last decade not many tipp clubs have made any sort of impression outside their county.

God that was embarrassing. Seen junior clubs in Kilkenny stronger than that kilruane team.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Mad about baa baas

In fairness ballygunner are a serious outfit..in hindsight the tipp final might have been better to have gone to extra time the first day..at least the winners would have had a few days to go on the beer then 10 days to regroup..short turnaround time didn't help their cause at all

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Denny61

There is always a freak result in tipp club hurling County final...you have to go back to borrisoleigh putting up a serious display against any other clubs in Munster or outside..but then in saying that. Tipperary hurling has never been at its lowest..it will be at least 3 to 5 years when the building of the senior side can show any real intent .it's life ..we were at the top table from.2019 back along for 10 years..but we failed to make hay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Glenomra

Looking at today's game, on TV, I must agree with you. As a Clareman of a certain vintage brought up on stories of the quality of Tipperary hurling, is there any specific reason\reasons why the county's standard seems to have regressed so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,013 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Reality is Kilruane had no chance today, Ballygunner waiting 9 weeks while Kilruane have been week on week. Good win for Roscrea & Holycross under 19 County champions.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

In fairness to Kilruane you need everything going in your favour to take on Ballygunner or a Na Pairsaigh in the groove and between injuries, players playing carrying injuries, away journey and 3 weeks out in a row they were on a hinding to nothing, funnily enough only Munster teams competitive with Ballygunner the last 3 years have been Borrisoleigh and Loughmore although i think them and Na Pairsaigh in 2 weeks is a complete 50-50.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Tactics are miles off in Tipperary club hurling. It makes it a good watch ..all catches and solos and sidesteps.. some great skillfull plays and players. The fact is there's no variety either in tbe approach in Tipperary..no changing mid game. I could pick out 6 or 7 Kilruane players who wouldn't look out of place on a Na Piarsaigh or Ballygunner. Ok Maybe 5. The centre back was excellent .What they lack is any planning ,tactically naive and probably abit under conditioned .

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Serious work going on in Holycross and St. Mary's.

Did you see the Roscrea game? I still think Luke Cashin is a better forward than Alan Tynan.

• Advertisement

No but was at the under 19 final, good contest with Holycross deserving winners. Serious achievement considering 10 of the 15 are under 17.

St Mary's were impressive and had some fine players in fairness so there must be a decent effort going in down there.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

There's no great, dominant team in tipp like sars or Toome at the moment. The last 6 years have given us 6 different winners, Sars , Clonoulty , Borris , kiladangan , Loughmore and now kilruane . Whether that has a baring on our lack of success, I don't know . Borris won Munster and Loughmore and Sars got f###ed over by appalling ref decisions in Munster . You probably need a few years of Munster hurling to make a decent run

Tipp club championship is just so competitive that winners are just delighted to get over the line. 6 different winners in 6 years tells the story. It's dog eat dog.

The likes of Ballygunner or Ballyhale can just saunter through their championship and aim to peak later in the year, Ballygunner with 8 weeks to prepare vs Kilruane with 6 days! There's only going to be one winner there.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

Where's your evidence that Ballyhale saunter through the club championship in Kilkenny? I suggest you check out match results over the last few years. Indeed do likewise with the Leinster championship.

Haven't they done 5 in a row? Ballygunner 9 in row, I don't think you can argue that it's anywhere near as competitive as Tipp club hurling.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I don't think you can equate Ballygunner's club championship experience, competitiveness wise, with Ballyhale's. Kilkenny championship a lot stronger. You'd have to say Kilkenny and Galway club championships are the strongest over the least twenty years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Yeah the Tipperary Club championship is competitive but the standards aren't at the level of the Galway championship. Id say all 4 of the Limerick Semi Finalists would have won the Tipp championship this year aswell. The top 4 teams in waterford, probably better than the top 4 in Tipp aswell. The Tipperary championship looks great watching on tv..but half the players aren't conditioned as much as other counties. Some of them are way too light and then some have bellies. And the hoary old chesnut of tactics. Tipp Club teams are naive around tactics, way too green.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

It may be competitive but format of tipp championship isnt fantastic and standard of hurling isnt great either which means county champions arent going to do well in Munster as a result.

Ballyhale dont saunter through the kilkenny championship...

Ballygunner may have had long time to prepare for the provincial game against Kilruane but Kilruane were also a county champion for first time in long time which was as much a factor. If it was another tipp team who had won county title(s) in recent years it may have been different...

Massive difference in the conditioning of the two teams yesterday. Alot of the kilruane players looked like they were carrying a few pounds too much. The fact they are not in peak physical condition and still managed to win the tipp senior championship says alot about the standard of senior hurling within the county.

It would’ve been a tough enough task tackling All-Ireland champions Ballygunner with two weeks’ preparation. 

When the replayed Tipperary SHC final halved that build-up, halved the chance to patch up injuries and recover from celebrating a famine-ending title, Kilruane MacDonaghs were always going to be up against it.

The week passed by in a “blur” for manager Liam O’Kelly but given the year they’ve had, it didn’t take him long to find perspective for this defeat.

“It’s been a fabulous journey all year. We’d a lot of challenges on the way. We’ve made an awful lot of friends. We’ve developed great bonds with a lot of people.

“Last Monday night, Dillon [Quirke]’s mam and dad were up with us. Declan Ryan and the wife were up with us. There were 11 of the Clonoulty boys above in the bar drinking with us in Cloughjordan. Who would have said that at the start of the year?

“That’s what we’re about as a club. We want to build friendships and relationships. Sport is sport and sport will always continue but friends are for life.

“It was a fantastic night on Monday and on Tuesday, we had a get-together with [beaten finalists] Kiladangan inside in a pub in Nenagh. We all came together.

“We've a bus journey home and I've no idea when that bus will get home. I told the players this morning, ‘Don't bring your car because you won't be driving your car home tonight’.

“That's the way we are. On the field, we're good. Off the field, we're very, very good.” 

Ballygunner manager Darragh O’Sullivan added his tribute for how Kilruane have navigated a triumphant and traumatic year.

“They’re a tremendous club and I said it in the dressing room. The way they have carried themselves both on and off the field with the things they had to deal with this year, the sad passing of Dillon, it’s amazing and they’re a testament to what’s good in the GAA because the way they have carried themselves has been an inspiration to all clubs. They should be very, very proud of that.” 

Losing two key defenders, Aaron Morgan and Niall O’Meara, to injuries made their task at Walsh Park all the greater. O’Meara had limped through the second half of a man-of-the-match display in last Sunday’s county final but O’Kelly revealed that Morgan had also been playing through the pain barrier.

“Aaron Morgan has been one of the finds of the year. He has played the last four games with a broken finger and unfortunately, today, whatever happened the hand, maybe he broke two fingers. I don’t know really. He’s gone to hospital now. We’ll know the extent in an hour’s time. But he was an awful loss to us.

“We're playing a junior football semi-final next Saturday and I guarantee you, Niall O'Meara will be the first man that will want to be on the pitch next Saturday night.” While Sunday brought an end to Kilruane’s hurling odyssey for 2022, O’Kelly took the opportunity to give game-time to four youngsters, with Carl Williams, Eoin Carroll, Rory Grace, and Rob Austin seeing action.

“We enjoyed our few days. We came back training Wednesday night, we trained Thursday night, we met yesterday. I emptied the bench and brought on three or four subs there who’ve never played senior hurling. Their first bit of senior hurling was against Ballygunner. What better place to blood them in than today?” Their efforts all year were well recognised by the visiting supporters.

“Compliments to our own players, they gave it everything there today. I was saying to the lads, when I was bringing off some of the senior players the crowd erupted. You’d think we were winning the game. That’s the team our guys are. But let’s be honest, we’d three hard weeks. Three hard games in three weeks. It takes its toll on the players.”

• Advertisement

Well done to kilruane , but loughmore played 18 weeks in a row and nearly took ballygunner with 13 men on the field . Conditioning seems to be talking point with kilruane this year but you need a big panel to have 15

That's a Loughmore side with a lot of county finals and medals under their belt. Kilruane are at the start of what they hope is a long journey as a team. There's no comparing.

Also, Loughmore paid the price for that run this year. And have, every third year or so.A body can't keep going to the well like that. Competing and winning county finals in hurling and football will catch up to you. I've never seen a team with so many injuries as Loughmore this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭newhouse87

I think in 2 years we will be challenging for top honors again and i see us winning an all ireland again before kilkenny/galway/clare/waterford.

Most of loughmore injured also play with tipp which adds to the mileage, john mc , Willie Eviston , John meagher , ed connolly , Tommy maher and ciaran connolly .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Paddico

Super win for Commercials over Nemo. Realy looked a classy side of Saturday Night

Hope they manage another Munster win in 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Noel McGrath has been named Tipperary senior hurling captain for 2023. Ronan Maher is vice captain.

Shane Neville of Cratloe (formerly Latin Cullen) Clare - hard to remember a player playing with a club outside the county in the panel.

Jerome Cahill continues his self-imposed exile from inter county.

• Advertisement

No Peter McGarry?

No Bubbles - hardly a surprise given the way Cahill likes to play the game.

Think there's a few lads at Roscrea outperforming Alan at the minute...

Flynns and Willy Connors and Barry Heffernan out.

Players not on panel from 2022, Brian Hogan, Robert Byrne, John Meagher, Denis Maher, Cian Darcy, Alan & Paul Flynn, Barry Heffernan and Craig Morgan (both injured), and the late Dillon Quirke.

Post edited by evolvingtipperary101 on

Advertisement