Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2020 - AH Official Thread *READ OP BEFORE POSTING*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

It was a fancy dan finish alright.

Every right; for it to bend inside the post and ripple the side netting but make the back of the net bulge?! F*ck off. It was an act of footballing fellatio, performed with the flick of a boot’s tongue that left its audience mesmerised. And it’s recipient, in the eye of it all very humiliated…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Bobblehats wrote: »
    It was a fancy dan finish alright.

Every right; for it to bend inside the post and ripple the side netting but make the back of the net bulge?! F*ck off. It was an act of footballing fellatio, performed with the flick of a boot’s tongue that left its audience mesmerised. And it’s recipient, in the eye of it all very humiliated…

have you considered becoming a football commentator?

Hello everybody....lot of reservations about this Spain side graduates; with honours from the school of tiki taka yet seemingly no-one capable of that moment of critical execution? Where even a brief moment inside the box will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

This is 1 group I really couldn't care less who goes through or who goes out.

Maybe Sweden to go through because of all the lovely ladies.... (though they were already through before todays games...

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Christ, another token woman commentator on RTE. Every comment begins, 'Yeah, ...' It's the epitome of tokenism. Not a hint of talent for the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

Peno

Christ, another token woman commentator on RTE. Every comment begins, 'Yeah, ...' It's the epitome of tokenism. Not a hint of talent for the job.

This is how I imagine she looks….

556662.jpeg

I’m going to hell.

..dear o dear was it even in doubt ? The decision that is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Great save, keeper.

Its the correct decision going on precedent but the first ref to ever give it and the association thay didnt confiscate his whistle would both want to be kicked out of the game

Absolute nonsense to concede a foul from a man jumping in front of you as you kick the ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't usually bash women commentators or pundits, because a lot of them get judged harshly enough because they're women and most of them are honestly fine - but this girl is awful. The sniffing, the boring contributions and the voice that'd cut through you.

Perfect height for the kepper

Lewandowski with possibly the worst miss of all time.

2 fantastic chances in 2 minutes for Spain. Both missed.

Still in shock at the Lewandowski miss.

He headed it onto the bar twice from a yard out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

First time watching a game on RTE. My poor ears...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

An absolute howler from Slovakia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭archfi

What the F was that!?:D

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Hahahaha

Spain go 1 up.

Own goal from keeper somehow

• Advertisement

Oh sweeeeet jeeeesus

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Comical

I can't think of many worse keeping errors than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

It was the sort of finish you might see in a GAA game

Flag took a while to go up there.

Xander10 wrote: »
    It was the sort of finish you might see in a GAA game

Spain own so much ball that something just has to give.

This is how I imagine she looks….
    Arghus wrote: »
    I don't usually bash women commentators or pundits, because a lot of them get judged harshly enough because they're women and most of them are honestly fine - but this girl is awful. The sniffing, the boring contributions and the voice that'd cut through you.

If we're getting into the territory of the aesthetic quality of her voice, I think there are an awful lot of male pundits and commentators who are scarcely better.

My issue is the delivery. I'd like to think that all prospective commentators are made by RTE to simulate commentating a few games and given feedback. That can hardly have occurred because she has several very obvious faults. She speaks insanely quickly, with that tic of starting every sentence with 'Yeah'. And she gives a rambling summary of the preceding passage of play rather than making a short, incisive comment. As it happens, she sounds like she's not unknowldgeable about football.

I know of excellent women commentators in cricket and chess. Why can't RTE do it properly and either not force the issue, or look for and nurture someone with talent?

I remember always hating Jim Beglin's co commentary on RTÉ on Ireland games, as in I absolutely despised him doing co commentary, but then for some reason at the 2002 World Cup (Specifically Ian Harte's saved penalty against Spain, and the open goal Kevin Kilbane missed in the follow up), I took a liking to him, and since then have always enjoyed him on co commentary for some reason!!

reee that’s better..

• Advertisement

It's easy street for Spain now.

Spain with a headed goal; from a corner kick but it’s not what you think…

Think I’ll flick over at this point. Sweet release!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Sweden went under the radar coming into this tournament and now they're going to win a tough group and probably should have beaten Spain. They could go another round or two. They consistently go far in competitions for a small country fair play to them. Lewandowski scores as I'm typing this but Sweden still winning.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Emmm. Ireland were knocked out in the playoffs by... Slovakia?
    *yikes*

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

They’re rattlin a few taytos into the dirtbox that is Slovakia now.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭French Toast

Without putting too fine a point on it, Slovakia are having their holes opened here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Bobblehats wrote: »
    They’re rattlin a few taytos into the dirtbox that is Slovakia now.
    Without putting too fine a point on it, Slovakia are having their holes opened here.

we are a nation of poets.

They are focking abysmal!

Poland level!
    Cmon Polska!

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement

Will they do it.

Ah Sweden.

You dry bastards.

Hard luck Poland, that's what you call the final nail

Man :( send these boys packing.

Slovakia on leave to remain or what??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Seriously are RTE not showing the Germany v Hungary game? I see they have France v Portugal instead.

Surely it is important to show our young people that we need to stand up to bigotry and injustice. The more that see the stadium lit up in bright colours the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Seriously are RTE not showing the Germany v Hungary game? I see they have France v Portugal instead.

Surely it is important to show our young people that we need to stand up to bigotry and injustice. The more that see the stadium lit up in bright colours the better.

It's on the RTE News Now channel for current affairs reasons rather than sport.

The furryvision quality of that channel will only enhance the psychedelic aspect of the colours.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Great stuff from Richie here. Calling out UEFA for their cowardice and talking out both sides of their mouth.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Richie Sadlier is unbearable.
    At least it keeps him off making snide public accusations against innocent people.
    These people will ruin football.
    This guy has not got one clue - is he employed as a poiltical football pundit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Wtf are rte doing discussing this rubbish..? I don't want to hear about this pride crap when we are in the middle of a soccer build up..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Duffer getting in on it now, as well. Excellent stuff, well done to the two of them.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
Advertisement