Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2020 - AH Official Thread *READ OP BEFORE POSTING*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Hungary did themselves proud in this tournament. Dealt an absolute hand with the draw but gave it everything. I wish our football team could do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,749 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Low caught having an auld sniff there during the celebrations?

That’s a low blow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

Engrrlands big concern now is that they have to play a decent team, rather than get straight to the final by only playing against the likes of Macedonia, Gibraltar or the Faroe Islands in the quarters and semis

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭archfi

Well, football not political bullshít wins tonight.
    Off to catchup on the Fra-Por game

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,153 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Shades of Italia 90 here.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Never in doubt.

lol. Soccer expert you are not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

buried wrote: »
    Engrrlands big concern now is that they have to play a decent team, rather than get straight to the final by only playing against the likes of Macedonia, Gibraltar or the Faroe Islands in the quarters and semis

This German side is wide open on the break. England will dig in and try to exploit that.

This German side is wide open on the break. England will dig in and try to exploit that.

Will hopefully be a great game.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I like the orchestral version of the tournament theme song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭blackcard

Slovakia and Finland the 2 worst 3rd place teams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I just can't see England beating Germany. Even if the Germans can clearly be got at.

Ukraine through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I like the orchestral version of the tournament theme song.

You’d still know it was coldplay

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

My money is on penalties and the same thing to happen every other time that scenario plays out.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If I am reading it correctly, 13 of the 16 qualifiers are ranked above Poland the highest ranked country to go out. Austria, Ukraine also through, with Czechia world ranked 40 the lowest to go through.

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/mens-ranking?dateId=id13295

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Three more days till the next football.

archfi wrote: »
    Will hopefully be a great game.

Games between the two are rarely dull.

I'm hedging towards England, this German side has bit of a glass jaw imo.

Three more days till the next football.

Any Copa America action in between?!!

Any Copa America action in between?!!

I’ve equador-peru on here

Oh, Bel-Por

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,543 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I think England will beat this German team, but I think that's some kind of defence mechanism I have where I assume the worst, I would love them to lose but on paper they are much better than Fritz.
    Then they'll probably play Sweden, and then a pretty ****e Dutch team. Italy in the semis is where they could go out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,804 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think England will beat this German team, but I think that's some kind of defence mechanism I have where I assume the worst, I would love them to lose but on paper they are much better than Fritz.
    Then they'll probably play Sweden, and then a pretty ****e Dutch team. Italy in the semis is where they could go out.

Italy on other side of draw... can only meet in final

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Italy on other side of draw... can only meet in final

Sorry yeah, I meant it'll be Germany, Sweden, Holland, then Italy in the Final. Realistically they probably wont make it that far, but in my worst case scenario for my irrational hatred of when they do well, that's what will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

France to win Portugal to be the big failure!

...or so said a panel of guests on the radio last week, can't remember if it was Newstalk Today FM or RTE, but they all agreed that France was by far the best team & that they would win the tournament.

We'll see...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Well, goodbye group stages. We hardly knew ye.

I guess the knockouts are the real meat of tournaments, but I always feel a bit sad when the groups end. It's when a tournament feels most tournamenty and everyone is still involved and there's total football overkill and the stories of every team can take a few twists and turns

So there's only fifteen games left. Hopefully they'll be to savour. There's some potentially cracking looking ties already.

Best game so far? Portugal v Germany for excitement and quality? I also thought France v Germany was a heavyweight tie. All of the Denmark games were intensely dramatic, for reasons good and bad. I thought Italy's performance against the Swiss was the most accomplished single performance in the group stage.

Best goal? Schick's second against the Scots? De Bruyne v Denmark? Christensen v Russia? I'd have to go for Modric against Scotland: outside of the boot, beautiful but ruthless, the statement of a player a cut above almost nonchalantly, yet decisively, calling time on Scotland's dreams in an instant.

Has there been an outstanding player. Ronaldo has already scored five goals: I used to be a Ronaldo hater, but eventually I realised if you've any sense you can't hate Ronaldo, he just gives you too much - too much drama, too much achievement, too much longevity. Roy Keane said recently that he was privellged to play with him, says it all really. Lukaku looks formidable as well.

Turkey were the worst team. You'd have to feel a bit for Hungary. They gave everyone of their opponents a definite game and every encounter they were in was exciting in a different way.

"That man" Schick's goal was the best for me and Christensen in 2nd place

Spare a thought for Germany’s 3rd versus Portugal. As a collective, I think it was Havertz got his leg on this end of it but it was such a lightning combination that bamboozled poor Portugal and epitomised what Germany were doing to them at that point.

On the subject there were 18 goals; today compare that to zero over the next 2. A sobering reminder that the frolics do indeed quickly taper off, leaving us with voids in our schedule I will try to fill with the copa america. Brasil vs Colombia is underway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Had Dublin not lost its games to host in the competition, the England v Germany game would have been held at Landsdowne Road….

A bullet dodged?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭French Toast

First goal Austria scored vs. North Macedonia was a beaut as well, well taken volley at the back post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Had Dublin not lost its games to host in the competition, the England v Germany game would have been held at Landsdowne Road….

A bullet dodged?

Nobody would have been travelling to it. It would have just been people based in Ireland that would have availed of the tickets

• Advertisement

That’s mad. Would have bn a hell of a big match to have played host to but it’s yet another home advantage instead…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Nobody would have been travelling to it. It would have just been people based in Ireland that would have availed of the tickets

Not really arsed about who goes to it, more thinking if England beat Germany, it'll go down as one of those "1966" moments, and be lauded for all time....

...and it happening in Dublin at the 'home' of Irish football.

Bobblehats wrote: »
    That’s mad. Would have bn a hell of a big match to have played host to but it’s yet another home advantage instead…

There'd be songs written about it.... Euro 2020 - 2021 - Dublin - Ing-ur-Land 2 - Germany 1 - La La La.......

We do England a lot of favours now don’t we? From blooding future internationals; to seeking out friendly hidings to setting them up for the euros. Take a knee Ireland ~

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

A bullet dodged?

Would have been mayhem. I had tickets for that game - still haven't received the refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

A bullet dodged?

Nope just a missed opportunity for more money via fan tourism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Would have been mayhem. I had tickets for that game - still haven't received the refund.

A friend is in the same boat still waiting on the refund. I applied for them too but no dice. They would be worth some money now if things were normal.

Tuning into BBC, just to hear Robbie Savage go mental :D

I'm going 0-1 a Denmark win

Looks a decent sized crowd.

It's like watching an FA Cup final this.... End tee end :D

• Advertisement

Don't want Wales to win but the better side so far, they look comfortable

Don't want Wales to win but the better side so far, they look comfortable

Probably the best two individual players in Bale and Ramsey. Denmark might be the better unit though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,804 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Very poor cross there from the Danes... player wasn't under pressure, in a great position and sent in a nothing ball.
    Think the older heavier balls made it easier to float a ball in.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Absolute belter.

Get in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Great story for Denmark. Let's go

• Advertisement

Wales look out of their depth here, all kinds of stretched

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

Robbie Savage needs anatomy lessons, specifically in relation to the groin and how many groins one has.

....again

At least they won that round of head tennis.

Hjulmand (sp?) looking like the coach of the tournament thus far.

Adapted his side brilliantly in the absence of its star player.

Hjulmand (sp?) looking like the coach of the tournament thus far.

Adapted his side brilliantly in the absence of its star player.

Like Mick in 2002!

• Advertisement
Advertisement