Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2020 - AH Official Thread *READ OP BEFORE POSTING*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

When's England gonna lose on penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

You go Iceland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

So Den or Czech for the Lions in the semi, I think an all guns blazing Denmark could actually beat England I also think Czech will be better than Germany today, but yeah they're pretty much in the final now.
    I might look into moving back to Canada where no one cared about football.

I'm seriously warming to the Czechs meself.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Duff doing a Dunphy on Ukraine, all that is missing is the pursed lips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm seriously warming to the Czechs meself.

They're a very fit big strong team, I'd say they could beat anyone on their day. I wonder which Prem club Schick will go to and score 6 goals next season. For some reason he has West Ham written all over him for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patob

Well done Ukraine and Shevchenko, Duff completely writing them off against England so get your money on.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭dasdenny

It's actually coming "home"

It's coming home but they deserve it really, underperformed since 66 and it seems to be down to having a normal smart diplomatic guy like Gareth in charge who seems to be able to manage the media bullsh*t and not have any scandal around the team.
    This England team are almost likeable to someone who enjoyed them lose all my life, so I'm glad this team will probably win a trophy instead of having to have watched the WAG shower in 00s win something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

55 years since their last trophy. If they fûck this up the country will explode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It's coming home but they deserve it really, underperformed since 66 and it seems to be down to having a normal smart diplomatic guy like Gareth in charge who seems to be able to manage the media bullsh*t and not have any scandal around the team.
    This England team are almost likeable to someone who enjoyed them lose all my life, so I'm glad this team will probably win a trophy instead of having to have watched the WAG shower in 00s win something.

98 England were good to watch... Hoddle had them setup well.
    * I played too much FIFA 98

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

I’m scanning stats... England....Haven’t been in a semi for 25 years, mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Yep he's very likeable imo. Things have really fallen nicely for them to get to the final now... Denmark will likely be tough in the semis but tbf at that stage of a comp you're always going to be facing someone decent and no disrespect meant to Denmark but if you can't beat a Denmark you don't deserve to be in a final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭celt262

Strumms wrote: »

3 years

England at the Euros tend to be bigger underachievers than Worlds Cups eg Euro 88 bottom of group to Italia 90 semis.
    96 and 04 Euros about the only time theyve really turned up?

celt262 wrote: »
    3 years

Yeah sorry should have remembered that :D

Yeah sorry should have remembered that :D

Thought you meant Euros only!

England actually came 3rd in 68 in what was a knockout competition.

1996 was their first time to get out of group stage after poor showings in 80, 88 and 92.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Thought you meant Euros only!

England actually came 3rd in 68 in what was a knockout competition.

1996 was their first time to get out of group stage after poor showings in 80, 88 and 92.

While that sounds impressive it was a four team tournament.

I could never understand why they had a 4 team tournament, I mean the administration for an 8 team one couldn't have been that much worse

You never beat the Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

England have a long way to go yet.

They should get past Ukraine, but I'm not convinced that even if they get past that hurdle they're going to have it all their own way after that and the likelihood of them playing a serious team that'll just have too much for them in the final is very real. I wouldn't put them any higher than fourth favourite - I'd fancy anyone from Italy, Belgium or Spain to beat them. Christ, even the Swiss could do it, if they perform at the level of organisation and effort they showed last night.

Okay, they bet Germany today, but they were fairly laboured for large portions of it and the 2-0 score line puts a gloss on it, even if they were the better team.

I like Southgate too, he might get them as far as the final, but I think they'll come up short in the end.

• Advertisement

Arghus wrote: »

They should get past Ukraine, but I'm not convinced that even if they get past that hurdle they're going to have it all their own way after that and the likelihood of them playing a serious team that'll just have too much for them in the final is very real. I wouldn't put them any higher than fourth favourite - I'd fancy anyone from Italy, Belgium or Spain to beat them. Christ, even the Swiss could do it, if they perform at the level of organisation and effort they showed last night.

Okay, they bet Germany today, but they were fairly laboured for large portions of it and the 2-0 score line puts a gloss on it, even if they were the better team.

I like Southgate too, he might get them as far as the final, but I think they'll come up short in the end.

I agree with all of this, but I need to make peace with the fact that it's coming home this time, I knew I wouldn't get away with living my whole life without it happening and this is the most likely time in my life so far. Different stages of acceptance lol.

But yes, Swiss last night looked like they could have beaten anyone. Xhaka was like Pirlo, some of the passing and play they had was just amazing. Spain have scored 9 I think in last 2 games. I don't think Italy will be in the final myself.

England at the Euros tend to be bigger underachievers than Worlds Cups eg Euro 88 bottom of group to Italia 90 semis.
    96 and 04 Euros about the only time theyve really turned up?

They took Italy to a penalty shoot out in the quarters of '12. As far as they got in '04.

Pirlo made Joe Hart look like a fool.

Ha yes, I remember watching that 12 game in a pub in London. Pirlo played like a quarterback, he had such control over the game especially in extra time, one of my favourite performances ever in football.

I agree with all of this, but I need to make peace with the fact that it's coming home this time, I knew I wouldn't get away with living my whole life without it happening and this is the most likely time in my life so far. Different stages of acceptance lol.

But yes, Swiss last night looked like they could have beaten anyone. Xhaka was like Pirlo, some of the passing and play they had was just amazing. Spain have scored 9 I think in last 2 games. I don't think Italy will be in the final myself.

I really thought Spain looked like dogshyte in their first few games. But they have really clicked in the last couple and even Morata is scoring now, they look like they could take some stopping. But, we'll see.

Belgium have some amazing players and are a serious outfit, but I wonder will they go all the way without someone crucial being injured. Even the Portugal game was quite attritional

I placed twenty quid on Italy at the start because they were ridiculous value and their record coming into the tournament was stupid - ages since they lost, practically zero goals conceded and even if they weren't being talked about, they had quality up and down the pitch. Of course, they struggled past Austria, but they still did it, maybe the gloss has come off slightly, but I dunno I feel good about this Italian team. I think they can do it. I'd feel a lot better if Chiellini comes back.

Without googling because I can't be bothered but is KDB not out now for Belgium and I thought one of their other starters? It's funny how they managed to beat England twice in the world cup lol.

Edit: Hazard out too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Axel Witsel goes under the radar a bit for Belgium. Has 113 caps since 2008. I saw him playing for St Petersburg in Tallaght against Dundalk in 2016.

Of the 26 man squad only two play in Belgium.

Axel Witsel goes under the radar a bit for Belgium. Has 113 caps since 2008. I saw him playing for St Petersburg in Tallaght against Dundalk in 2016.

They're in a hurry.

I could never understand why they had a 4 team tournament, I mean the administration for an 8 team one couldn't have been that much worse

It was a strange tournament... you qualified straight into knockout quarter final.
    England's qualifying group was actually the 1967 & 1968 Home Nations tournament v Wales, Scotland and N Ireland.
    England beat Spain in their 2 legged QF.

Ireland came 3rd in a 4 team qualifying group with Spain, Czechoslovakia and Turkey.

Italy beat the Soviet Union in their Semi -on a coin toss!
    I guess penalties hadn't been invented yet.

The final was in Rome, which went to a replay, also in Rome, and eventually Italy triumphed over Yugoslavia 2-0.

Yugoslavia had knocked out West Germany, France and England en route to the final.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_1968_qualifying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

patob wrote: »
    Well done Ukraine and Shevchenko, Duff completely writing them off against England so get your money on.

Erm no. They only came through that due to the goal frame and the straight red of a cb who was guilty of nothing but a solid clearance. The play acting was despicable their kit is an abomination; too get out of town with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If England beat Ukraine they'll be back in Wembley for the Semi-Final right?

And is the final still planned for Wembley? or has it been officially moved? to Budapest?

If England beat Ukraine they'll be back in Wembley for the Semi-Final right?

And is the final still planned for Wembley? or has it been officially moved? to Budapest?

That is just speculation it’s too short a notice by now, won’t happen. After Irish government helping pave Wembley way it is England’s tournament with alllll matches due to be played at Wembley other than er, ukraine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭W123-80's

Arghus wrote: »

I agree with all of this.
    I can't see England win this tournament. No way should they be favourites.

Guessing the same for Croatia.

He's a classy player. Seems to glide smoothly around the pitch. If I was his manager I'd be shaving off the 'fro though.

W123-80's wrote: »
    I agree with all of this.
    I can't see England win this tournament. No way should they be favourites.

I think the winner is more likely to come from the other side of the draw, but could England win it, for sure.

QF: Ukraine are beatable. I'd put England as strong favourites there.

SF: I think Denmark (or the Czechs) will put up a strong challenge but England should have enough firepower to overcome them. I'd put England as favourites there but not overwhelmingly so.

FINAL: It's a once off cup game against Italy, Belgium, Spain or Switzerland. I wouldn't put them as favourites in the final game, but could they win it, yep.

If I had to pick a winner I would go for Italy or Spain (gaining momentum).
    Belgium have the beating of anyone on their day but racking up a lot of injuries to key men.
    Switzerland could Greece it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

In the FIFA world rankings.

Belgium 1. England 4. Spain 6. Italy 7. Denmark 10. Switzerland 13. Ukraine 24. Czech Republic 40.

In the FIFA world rankings.

Belgium 1. England 4. Spain 6. Italy 7. Denmark 10. Switzerland 13. Ukraine 24. Czech Republic 40.

The FIFA rankings are a pretty good system overall.

I wonder why all the best teams in Europe tend to come from Western Europe? And how come Ireland and Croatia consistently buck that trend for better/worse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Really enjoyed the tournament overall, congratulations to England who have finally delivered at the highest level with a stirring 2-0 victory over Germany in the final yesterday. As they are way too strong for the remaining sides, all that remains is the march to victory. In all seriousness England have bettered their last 16 exit at the last tournament, where Iceland sprung a surprise and became the first supermarket to reach the quarter finals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

It was a strange tournament... you qualified straight into knockout quarter final.
    England's qualifying group was actually the 1967 & 1968 Home Nations tournament v Wales, Scotland and N Ireland.
    England beat Spain in their 2 legged QF.

Ireland came 3rd in a 4 team qualifying group with Spain, Czechoslovakia and Turkey.

Italy beat the Soviet Union in their Semi -on a coin toss!
    I guess penalties hadn't been invented yet.

The final was in Rome, which went to a replay, also in Rome, and eventually Italy triumphed over Yugoslavia 2-0.

Yugoslavia had knocked out West Germany, France and England en route to the final.
    Trivia time: Czechoslovakia only had to beat Ireland at home to qualify for Euro '68, Ireland incredibly beat them 2-1 and Spain qualified. A player named Eamonn Dunphy might have put the Czechs off their game that day.

Back to the present and Euro 20/21 ... England think they will win it, Denmark KNOW they will win it!
    You would wonder where they get their self belief and swagger, beaten by Finland and Belgium they just bounce back as if nothing happened.
    Only Denmark could win a major tournament without even qualifying for it!

Really enjoyed the tournament overall, congratulations to England who have finally delivered at the highest level with a stirring 2-0 victory over Germany in the final yesterday. As they are way too strong for the remaining sides, all that remains is the march to victory. In all seriousness England have bettered their last 16 exit at the last tournament, where Iceland sprung a surprise and became the first supermarket to reach the quarter finals

Iceland did cheat a bit by freezing the best players per generation and thawing them out to make a golden generation.

• Advertisement

I think I want them Spanish kids to win it. Everybody knows it’s the way, a cohesive unit in their own image all on the same page. Pinging it about with aplomb short range, long range you name it.

Blindfolded; if you like telepathy ensures it will find its destination. It’s only right football should win out, in its purest form and there’s a real purity embedded in their footballing dna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

In all seriousness England have bettered their last 16 exit at the last tournament, where Iceland sprung a surprise and became the first supermarket to reach the quarter finals

:D:D. Watch out for Aldi, next tournament.

In terms of favourites now I’d go : 1)Italy 2) Belgium. 3)England. 4)Denmark 5)Spain 6)Switzerland 7)Czech Republic 8)Ukraine.

It wasn’t really that it was a four team tournament. Just a different set up. After the groups the quarters were 2 legs, home and away, and then a sort of mini tournament for the semi finals and final. 1990 was the first proper “finals” as such, and it was only 8 teams, increasing to 16 in 1996.

Only seeing this now, comedians Foil Arms and Hog did a skit on "What team Irish fans should support at the Euros..."

Might raise a laugh or two :)

Am rightly peed off that tomorrow nights Italy/Belgium quarter final clashes with Bohs/Pats. No question of me missing the Pats match, but I really want to see the QF. Bloody UEFA, what were they thinking ? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

trashcan wrote: »
    It wasn’t really that it was a four team tournament. Just a different set up. After the groups the quarters were 2 legs, home and away, and then a sort of mini tournament for the semi finals and final. 1990 was the first proper “finals” as such, and it was only 8 teams, increasing to 16 in 1996.
    I think it was 1980 that it moved to 8 teams (2 groups of 4)? Germany won it.

The Euros are a better competition than the World Cup for me. There's a greater concentration of talent overall, no really easy games (bar a few matches where the game runs away from one side).

I know that the 16 team tournament was probably a better competition standard wise, but even the move to a 24 team tournament has worked for me (because the relative quality was there) as pretty much every last group game counts, and can depending on results affect your path through the knockouts. The last two competitions have been great to watch.

Its also more unpredictable, 10 different winners in 15 tournaments compared to the World Cups 8 different winners in 21 tournaments, and there's usually one or two teams that get to the SF's out of nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

randd1 wrote: »
    I think it was 1980 that it moved to 8 teams (2 groups of 4)? Germany won it.

The Euros are a better competition than the World Cup for me. There's a greater concentration of talent overall, no really easy games (bar a few matches where the game runs away from one side).

I know that the 16 team tournament was probably a better competition standard wise, but even the move to a 24 team tournament has worked for me (because the relative quality was there) as pretty much every last group game counts, and can depending on results affect your path through the knockouts. The last two competitions have been great to watch.

Its also more unpredictable, 10 different winners in 15 tournaments compared to the World Cups 8 different winners in 21 tournaments, and there's usually one or two teams that get to the SF's out of nowhere.

the change to allow the best 3rd place teams to go into the knockout stages has really made it a better tournament. It made the last round of games very interesting instead of just being dead rubbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭randd1

the change to allow the best 3rd place teams to go into the knockout stages has really made it a better tournament. It made the last round of games very interesting instead of just being dead rubbers.
    Yeah, it means that teams aren't just competing with the teams in their own group but the others as well, so you have to win at least one game to get through. It forces teams to go and play.

12 minutes in and ALL Spain... Forza stats showing Spain with 83% of possession, 1-0 up and absolutely dominating.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭French Toast

Anywhere else but straight at the keeper and that was a goal for Morata.

Edit - should be Azpilacueta

• Advertisement
Advertisement