Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2020 - AH Official Thread *READ OP BEFORE POSTING*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Belgium had a few decent players over the years pre this so-called golden generation. Enzo Scifo and Luc Nilis were two in particular, but as you said, they were probably more like Switzerland are now. Honest and dogged, but no real style about them

this is a very good generation of Belgian players, but they have a soft centre.

I remember Marc Wilmott and Enzo Scifo from CM 01/02

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

archfi wrote: »
    The winning goal was magnificent but that Belgian defence was an utter disgrace

Everton under martinez were terrible at the back also. I dont think he puts much time into his defence. I think I read before that he doesnt practice defensive set pieces.

jojofizzio wrote: »
    Or the lady sitting beside Richie….
    Who is she by the way(I missed the start)???

Karen Duggan. An Irish international women's player. Talented player in her own right but I don't agree with this PC nonsense of women doing analysis on men's soccer. Mens soccer is leagues apart in every respect.

I don't think so. They were always so slow and lacked creativity even when they had supposedly creative players. This is the best they've been to watch.

Their players are probably as good as anything that came before them, the problem is because the money has gone from Serie A, they aren't surrounded by elite players to boost their reputation.

Good point. Im not sure they have the level of Baggio, Totti or Zola on the squad though, but they wont need to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Karen Duggan. An Irish international women's player. Talented player in her own right but I don't agree with this PC nonsense of women doing analysis on men's soccer. Mens soccer is leagues apart in every respect.

I feel it undermines the women themselves, which is counter productive. Shoe-horning a load of women in at once is not the way to integrate women successfully. Id imagine the fact that they are probably considerably cheaper to hire than established, good quality male panelists had a fair part to play in it also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

jojofizzio wrote: »
    I never knew Tim from Coronation street was managing Belgium…

That’s nothing, Stephen Ryan from Stars of Heaven is managing Spain.

( You may need to google that one, unless you have particularly good musical taste ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭French Toast

Predictions for this evening

Czech Republic 1 - 2 Denmark
    Ukraine 0 - 2 England

Based on my knowledge of football which peaked around the 2014 World Cup.

I remember Marc Wilmott and Enzo Scifo from CM 01/02

Apparently Scifo retired in 01 after one year with Charleroi but my guess is that his reputation was high and was probably overpowered in the game so you could sign him for free and get a couple of years out of him

I know they've been knocked out for about a week now but was looking back at Euro 2000 on Wikipedia. Turkey got out of the group there and lost to Portugal and then 2 years later finished third in the World Cup. Then they got to a semi final at Euro 2008. They have completely flatlined over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Times of the kick offs are a bit shît, having to wait 5pm for the first fûcking match...

currently 35 degrees celsius in Baku...hence having to wait till the evening for the scheduled kickoff.... where it will still be about 32/33... still seriously uncomfortable for the players and everyone in attendance, stewards, police, referees, officials , but hey..games should never have been staged there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

They needed these 2 teams to play in Baku, in 33c heat, so that they'll be absolutely knackered meeting England in the next round, the Czechs (I think they'll win) having probably played 120 minutes and gone to penalties, after a bruising game with lots of injuries. I'm going to watch the new Steven Soderberg film later instead of watching Ukraine get pumped, I just can't take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

They needed these 2 teams to play in Baku, in 33c heat, so that they'll be absolutely knackered meeting England in the next round, the Czechs (I think they'll win) having probably played 120 minutes and gone to penalties, after a bruising game with lots of injuries. I'm going to watch the new Steven Soderberg film later instead of watching Ukraine get pumped, I just can't take it.

You should probably have posted that in the conspiracy theories forum :pac:

BBC weather says temperature in Baku at time of kick off will be 29c

temperature in Rome at time of kick off will be 29c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its the humidity that can be the real killer for footballers and athletes, it decreases their muscle endurance and tires them out quicker. Baku isnt all that bad today at 57%, Rome is better at 35%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Mondo bizarro

Delaneyyyyyy….!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If an under 14 team defended like that you'd lambast them.

They went to the ball and left Delaney unmarked to head the goal in.
    Delaney just stood there!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

All really tall feckers too aren’t they. Shockin

Jersey watch.
    From a distance the deep red in the Czech jersey catches the eye.
    Danish going for the plain white but enlivened by the echelons.

The Danes win it on close up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Seriously disappointed with the Czechs so far. Haven't got a foothold in this all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

One thing I noticed in the tournament is the large amount of foul throw ins that are taking place that arent spotted by the ref and officials

• Advertisement

Seriously disappointed with the Czechs so far. Haven't got a foothold in this all.

Good pedigree but the fact is they’re 40th. You’d think decent side like Denmark will sort them out…

Czechs need to figure out a short corner routine. Denmark are too good in the air.

What a cross Jesus, great ball, nice finish...

Peach of a cross... the Danes could get 4 goals here again.

What a cross by Mahle

Luvly jubs

Great goal. This will be the first really good team England have faced, I think it should be a good game.
    Might see a goal from that man Schick yet though.

Was hoping for a better contest but Denmark are just a level above. This could be a hiding.

Came after a good ten minutes for the Czechs but unlike Denmark their final pass hasn’t been good enough, they keep shîtting the bed near the Danish penalty area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Think I might skip the second half. This game looks done and dusted.

• Advertisement

A great thing about the Czech Republic is that the headlines write themselves, last round it was Czech Mate and this one will be Czech Out

Great goal. This will be the first really good team England have faced, I think it should be a good game.
    Might see a goal from that man Schick yet though.

Assuming England get through tonight, I think England Denmark has potential to be a cracker.

Half time... next goal crucial, Danes get it, game over, Czechs, game on...I’m backing the Danes, as you’d have to.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Assuming England get through tonight, I think England Denmark has potential to be a cracker.

The Danes have so much energy and are playing out of their skin, they looked great against a top side in Belgium, so I think they could match anyone at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

That cross for the second Danish goal was ridiculous. One of the best I've ever seen.

Yeah that was sublime, brilliant ball. Through the eye of a needle taking out the whole of the defense and the keeper.

Strumms wrote: »
    Half time... next goal crucial, Danes get it, game over, Czechs, game on...I’m backing the Danes, as you’d have to.

Surely the odds won't be great :pac: 1/16 wouldn't tempt me :P

They've really been like men possessed since the half began.

Awww thatss very good

• Advertisement

Deserved it must be said... nice finish but the Danish defending was very much on its heels

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii ... ick

Brilliant player.

Shick again.

Another good finish.

Schick now in the lead for the golden boot with 5 goals

I wish we could produce players that were so at ease on the ball as the Czechs.

• Advertisement

Paulson might not have noticed his support but if he spots him and finds him 3-1..

Or any other team in the tournament tbf

Mon the Gregorys :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

No no no, we must “play to our strengths”. None of this passing nonsense.

Dive, Czech player looking for it and fouled first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement