Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2020 - AH Official Thread *READ OP BEFORE POSTING*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's wishful thinking though, Italy look good but on paper you'd have to say England has better players. There were no Italian players in the CL final.

This current Italian team managed to put out a fancied Belgian side who appeared to be living up to expectations, so it's a team that knows what it's doing and the players are playing for each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Three goals for Harry tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

YFlyer wrote: »
    Three goals for Harry tonight.

Harry's and the Henderson.

It's wishful thinking though, Italy look good but on paper you'd have to say England has better players. There were no Italian players in the CL final.

Italians usually don't travel outside their country unless they're waning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

trashcan wrote: »
    Oh BBC are just insufferable. I think England will beat Denmark and reach the final, but I expect them to face Italy there, and I think Italy will be too good for them.

You think we're any better? We still go on about beating England in a group game in 1988 and over Henry's handball in 09. The same stuff we give England stick for although their incidents were on a much bigger stage.

Not saying they aren't painful but most countries are including us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

DeanAustin wrote: »
    You think we're any better? We still go on about beating England in a group game in 1988 and over Henry's handball in 09. The same stuff we give England stick for although their incidents were on a much bigger stage.

Yeah just listen to the Italian commentating or Spain, the BBC actually try and keep it in check a bit unlike other countries

Yeah just listen to the Italian commentating or Spain, the BBC actually try and keep it in check a bit unlike other countries

Gary Lineker is totally reserved. It’s like a taboo with him to be optimistic.

Only Ferdinand is confident. None are cocky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Gary Lineker is totally reserved. It’s like a taboo with him to be optimistic.

He's been burned too many times and knows its not over until it's over.

Harry's and the Henderson.

Lol like some 1970s band name.

Oh BBC are just insufferable. I think England will beat Denmark and reach the final, but I expect them to face Italy there, and I think Italy will be too good for them.

I believe the one for all remote controls are both cheap and effective if you are having trouble changing channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭French Toast

Predictions for this evening

Czech Republic 1 - 2 Denmark
    Ukraine 0 - 2 England

Based on my knowledge of football which peaked around the 2014 World Cup.

Not bad tbf. Didn't think Ukraine would be as poor defensively.

SF Predictions

Italy 3 - 1 Spain
    England 2 - 0 Denmark

Was anyone sent that video of a mass brawl breaking out at an outdoor showing of the match in England? Jesus!

Need Fodan for the skill level. They got to keep Hojbjerg busy.

Was anyone sent that video of a mass brawl breaking out at an outdoor showing of the match in England? Jesus!

No man. Tonight?

No man. Tonight?

Looks like it yes, makes a change from watching street brawls in Dublin at least

Video here

https://www.joe.ie/sport/england-fans-brawl-in-20-person-pub-garden-fist-fight-632035

The sucker punch to the dude with his top off was so cowardly, he should do a lot of time for that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Video here

https://www.joe.ie/sport/england-fans-brawl-in-20-person-pub-garden-fist-fight-632035

The sucker punch to the dude with his top off was so cowardly, he should do a lot of time for that

Untermensch

Video here

Wow some twats. Change alright with the Temple Bar idiots.

Wow some twats. Change alright with the Temple Bar idiots.

Or Conor McGregor fans in Vegas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Edit : nevermind

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ngunners

Video here

The article is dated two years ago?

Or Conor McGregor fans in Vegas

Lol. Couldn't understand them going for Conor against Money. Bookies were delighted.

ngunners wrote: »

Ah maybe it is, I was sent this via whatsapp and then googled England brawl and that came up, I've been had!

Good find.

We are insufferable in many ways. I hate these programmes on Italia 90/Jack and all these middle-class idiots telling us how we became more confident as a nation because of Italia 90 :rolleyes: The economy was going to grow anyway regardless of football results. Big multinationals don't want us for our football. Otherwise they'd be gone long ago.

• Advertisement

Good find.

Same thing happened when Chelsea won the CL, next day I was sent a video of a load of Chelsea fans punching and harassing a waiter, but it turned out it was from a few years ago. Some people must send these videos viral when a team they don't like wins!

We are insufferable in many ways. I hate these programmes on Italia 90/Jack and all these middle-class idiots telling us how we became more confident as a nation because of Italia 90 :rolleyes: The economy was going to grow anyway regardless of football results. Big multinationals don't want us for our football. Otherwise they'd be gone long ago.

Education it was Feeney and Gluckman.

Same thing happened when Chelsea won the CL, next day I was sent a video of a load of Chelsea fans punching and harassing a waiter, but it turned out it was from a few years ago. Some people must send these videos viral when a team they don't like wins!

We have our differences. Even the great Greaves and Hoddle played for Spurs and Chelsea.

Education it was Feeney and Gluckman.

Who???

Was gonna say, this seems wrong :D

"Following the incident, Kent Online have reported that the pub will not be showing any more World Cup games."

Still a bunch of fùckwits though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Lol like some 1970s band name.

Or even an 80's TV show....

Who???

Chuck Feeney and Brennan Gluckman.

Was gonna say, this seems wrong :D

"Following the incident, Kent Online have reported that the pub will not be showing any more World Cup games."

Still a bunch of fùckwits though.

Yeah I fell for the video forwarding fake news, apologies errybody

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Hamlet.

If you're actively hoping England don't win then that makes you a bad, bad bellend in my book.

What a semi final lineup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Hamlet. wrote: »
    If you're actively hoping England don't win then that makes you a bad, bad bellend in my book.

What a semi final lineup.

Really? I think Denmark getting to the final would be a great story. I'd love to see them do it.

I'm conflicted again with England. I find a lot of their players likable and humble and Southgate always acts with a lot of class - but it's just too hardwired into me not to root for whoever they are playing against.

Maybe it was easier to dislike them during the "golden generation" era: all that hubris and sense of entitlement made the schadenfreude of their inevitable collapses always quite satisfying.

I didn't fancy them as serious challengers after the first few group games and I expected them to struggle and perhaps get knocked out by the first real quality side they'd face. But they negotiated Germany and really looked like a team that had found fluency and momentum against - a very limited - Ukraine. Though that German game was tighter than what people are saying: Muller's missed chance was the key moment.

They've a very good chance, having said all the above. They seem to have some wind in their sails and previously misfiring parts of the team are now clicking. And they have so many options - that's their clear advantage over the other remaining teams. I think they'll beat Denmark. Though Denmark are a good side, who are capable of beating them. I feel that Denmark looked a bit leggy and nervous against the Czechs, but, maybe, in a game where they're the underdogs - you never know.

Assuming England do manage to get past Denmark, I still don't think they have it in them to beat either of Spain or Italy. Italy do look like the team to beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭trashcan

Oh I know we can go over the top at times, and I have no time for most of the ole ole ole nonsense. Thee is a bit of a difference though in celebrating achievements as an underdog, and believing you are going to win tournaments when all of the evidence points to the contrary. And I know it’s not all the English, and yeah, there is a chance they might do it this time ( though I’d still fancy Italy against them)
    Aegir wrote: »
    I believe the one for all remote controls are both cheap and effective if you are having trouble changing channel.

Well, gee, thanks for the tip. I did manage to use the remote, so I avoided most of the BBC coverage.

I try not to be rabidly anti English, but. I’m sorry, I just can’t help finding it a bit of a giggle when they lose, particularly after they build themselves up so much.

Oh I know we can go over the top at times, and I have no time for most of the ole ole ole nonsense. Thee is a bit of a difference though in celebrating achievements as an underdog, and believing you are going to win tournaments when all of the evidence points to the contrary. And I know it’s not all the English, and yeah, there is a chance they might do it this time ( though I’d still fancy Italy against them)

Well, gee, thanks for the tip. I did manage to use the remote, so I avoided most of the BBC coverage.

I try not to be rabidly anti English, but. I’m sorry, I just can’t help finding it a bit of a giggle when they lose, particularly after they build themselves up so much.

Do you feel the same way when Ireland don't even qualify?

Tonight was my first time watching any of the tournament on the BBC.

Look, England played well, looked good and are in a semi final - you'd expect them to be excited, but, jesus, there wasn't much cold analysis going on either. The fact that Ukraine were dream opposition was totally overlooked and the remaining teams in the draw were barely mentioned. It was gushing praise from all sides.

Gary Lineker said at one point that "it may not happen" and, honestly, Shearer just didn't want to hear it, those words were bad juju - "why shouldn't we get carried away?" - and it was the same way with Frank Lampard and Rio Ferdinand.

Now, I wouldn't have been expecting them to be laying into the team, but there was a sense of OTT expectation; an understanding that a eventual triumph was a fait accompli and it isn't a shame that you can't win this tournament twice or even three times.

A lot of what Keane - a man who talks a fair amount of shyte - said in '18 is true. They do get ahead of themselves, talking about finals.

Though that is the media, maybe it feels different in the squad and with the management. Certainly Southgate was very measured - but I really thought some of the players were quite emotional in their interviews, overly so. They've still got to play another decent team and another one after that.

Do you feel the same way when Ireland don't even qualify?

I know you're not asking that question of me, but I may give my two cents:

The reality is that Ireland do well to qualify for tournaments and the most we hope for is to give a good account of ourselves. No one here is under any illusions that we're an International side of any renown, especially right now.

Honestly, how Ireland are doing relative to England never enters my calculations about how I feel about England in a given tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

A one legged orphans reserve team would have been more of a test for England tonight, at least there is a bit more for them to do, but they are outrageously lucky, Ukraine are a one man team, and he’s the manager, it’s not sour grapes yet, but it’s amazing how they land on the right side of everything. Still think they will struggle to win it, but it’s getting closer for them, at least Italy or Spain won’t **** the bag, they will turn up and play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

A one legged orphans reserve team would have been more of a test for England tonight, at least there is a bit more for them to do, but they are outrageously lucky, Ukraine are a one man team, and he’s the manager, it’s not sour grapes yet, but it’s amazing how they land on the right side of everything. Still think they will struggle to win it, but it’s getting closer for them, at least Italy or Spain won’t **** the bag, they will turn up and play

If there's one nation who don't **** the bed, it's Germany and England negotiated them. The draw is kind to them but it's not like theyre playing San Marino every round. Credit where its due.

It's a actually a very likeable set of English players and managers too.

Before the last World Cup, my then 6 year old son said, "who will we support in this world Cup".

I said I wasnt sure and he said "well we support Spurs and they're English so why wouldnt we support England?"

I was kinda proud that my 6 year old could reason things out better than a lot of adults in this country. The fact he's tied into Spurs and England, the great underachievers of international and club football, is beside the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

They’ll lose to Denmark. It’ll be tight affair, with Kasper slightly being the busiest of the keepers, but Pickford will let a tame speculative effort slip through his hands, or a back pass under his foot. Mark my words. 1-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Arghus wrote: »
    Assuming England do manage to get past Denmark, I still don't think they have it in them to beat either of Spain or Italy. Italy do look like the team to beat.

Its at Wembley and whoever they face is going to have to have some bottle to defeat them in their own backyard regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

KungPao wrote: »
    They’ll lose to Denmark. It’ll be tight affair, with Kasper slightly being the busiest of the keepers, but Pickford will let a tame speculative effort slip through his hands, or a back pass under his foot. Mark my words. 1-0.

You mean the goalkeeper who has just broken the record for clean sheets at a euros? He scuffed 2 kicks, one of them being a very awkward one. Other than that he has been top class, consistently.
    This is where the whole, 'england pundits are insufferable because they arent objective' spiel falls down. When they are doing well it becomes clear that we dont actually want to give them objective treatment at all.

As for their pundits and fans - nowhere near as bad as the irish rugby fraternity, who when their team blow it at a big stage, again, blame everyone but the team. They also talk of winning world cups after one win against a top team. I can only shudder at the thought of what they would be like if we went on a run like the english football team are currently on. The same people are the ones who criticise england in the football. There is a serious lack of self awareness at play

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

odyssey06 wrote: »
    That's nothing to do with it.
    When Ireland got the World Cup 94 & England didn't, lots of English people were cheering us on. They knew the players from the Premier League.
    If Scotland weren't in England's group, lots of English fans would have wanted them to do well.

Yes and a lot of people also didn't. There's a lot of anti Irish sentiment in the UK still, much more than say in the US/Canada/Australa/New Zealand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

I well remember those summers of 1988, 1990 and 1994. Christ, the media here were just as rabid as they are in England. I'm amazed that Ray Houghton wasn't elected president.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Doubt it to be honest. The only chance denmark have is England beating themselves in that one. The final may be a different story and if it was Denmark in a neutral venue with Eriksen it could also be different. England vs Denmark looks like a 2-niler to me

I'm going 2 or 3-0 against Denmark too, I predicted 4 against Ukraine and Denmark will be found out as being bang average, I mean it's not long ago they were drawing with us every few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

You mean the goalkeeper who has just broken the record for clean sheets at a euros?…………..
    That’s the fella. He’s a **** keeper. I could have been in goal for England for this tournament, such was the the lack of action in their box. Always has a clanger in him.

Also, I say this but have had him in my fantasy team since match day 1, as I had a feeling England wouldn’t concede, even with t-rex in goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

England will beat Denmark for sure, 3-1, goals from Kane, Sterling & Magiire. England are finally firing on all cylinders, great manager too in Gareth Southgate, very likable chap and the team are all down to earth likable fellas, no prima donnas.

Advertisement