Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2020 - AH Official Thread *READ OP BEFORE POSTING*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

In fairness to Ger he went on a great surrealist - Hamiltonesque - solo run there, talking about the Portuguese manager:

"He always has that look on his face like he's just got really bad news like the dog has eaten his favourite jumper."

He left Ray the floor then for a second, just in case he wanted to riff on that evocative imagery, but, alas, Ray just spluttered something about substitutions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

I don't count Ger as a GAA man either to be honest. He is just an RTE employee. Marty would be a good GAA man.

Oh, they should draft in Marty for a game - is there a 3rd place match at the euros?

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,805 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Keeper's blushes spared there!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Awwww

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,543 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Some atmosphere. I love the Ultras. Portugal are my favourite team and want them to win the tournament but now I want Hungary to at least draw this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Horrible way to concede

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

2 deflections in a row for that goal!

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Bummer

• Advertisement

Jaysus, it's all happening now.

…yaaah it’s gone to shít now. 0-2

That backwards superman celebration act that Ronaldo does is beyond lame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭archfi

The oul Magyars put up a fight but no dice - Championes march forward.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Oh!

Still has the magic.

• Advertisement

Big Ron steals all the limelight as usual

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Portugal now have the same amount of points that they got in their entire group in 2016.

How was Ronaldo's second goal not called for offside ... was it even checked on VAR?

odyssey06 wrote: »
    How was Ronaldo's second goal not called for offside ... was it even checked on VAR?

He was alright.

I don’t know if there’s any truth in what ray said about *the* goal having to come eventually, but that score was most definitely flattering

I have to say the multi city thing is pretty cool. They should either do this or have it in somewhere that already has the infrastructure like the big football nations of Europe. No point in having places build new stadiums etc. these days, waste of energy and resources.

• Advertisement

In other news, the Former Yugoslavian Republicans of Macedonia tried to move their country south again while Greece wasn't looking...
    https://www.the42.ie/greece-fumes-at-north-macedonia-over-initials-on-euro-2020-shirt-5467471-Jun2021/

Messi scored an absolute belter in the copa the other night as well. Those two will be still duking it out in the old folks home.

I have to say the multi city thing is pretty cool. They should either do this or have it in somewhere that already has the infrastructure like the big football nations of Europe. No point in having places build new stadiums etc. these days, waste of energy and resources.

It's too big of an advantage I think giving home advantage in a tournament proper, no counter balancing away goals or anything.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It's too big of an advantage I think giving home advantage in a tournament proper, no counter balancing away goals or anything.

Well someone will always have home advantage or sometimes 2 teams. I just think it would be good for places like Hungary and Ireland who will never host a tournie. England getting all their games at Wembley could be a bit unfair as they're one of the favourites as is.

Well someone will always have home advantage or sometimes 2 teams. I just think it would be good for places like Hungary and Ireland who will never host a tournie. England getting all their games at Wembley could be a bit unfair as they're one of the favourites as is.

A few exceptions only acting as a counterbalance but it’s mostly the big nations that are at home. You’d do your nut if there was no return match in the qualifiers, so it’s particularly bad here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I get the impression that Stephanie Roche is a Ronaldo fan in more ways than one! One or two giggles gave it away. Missed her chance at that Puskas awards. She could have been Mrs Ronaldo now!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

ITV has Keano, Wrighty and Viera on the panel, I didn't know you could work for both ITV and BBC like Wrighty is doing

ITV has Keano, Wrighty and Viera on the panel, I didn't know you could work for both ITV and BBC like Wrighty is doing

Must be one of them dual conteractships.

Those team lineups for France Vs Germany has all the ingredients for a fantastic match

Being *the* host nation seems to bring a weight of expectations, unless you are France - if I'm reading this correctly they were the last hosts to win both the Euros (84) and World Cup (98).

This seems like a bigger distortion, it's not like out of your 3 games you get 1 home, 1 away, 1 neutral.

They could spread the games around without giving lots of home advantages out, or giving home advantage only to a team which hasn't hosted the tournament proper.

• Advertisement

Goals please

Could be a long night for Germany..

The absolute state of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

You'll scarcely see a classier finished OG

Die Mannschaft ist scheiße

Kante is just the most likable footballer around. No flash, keeps it all ticking away.

I remember the line about Leicester playing three in the midfield the year they won the title: Drinkwater sitting deep and Kante on either side.

Arghus wrote: »
    Kante is just the most likable footballer around. No flash, keeps it all ticking away.

I remember the line about Leicester playing three in the midfield the year they won the title: Drinkwater sitting deep and Kante on either side.

He looks tinier than usual this evening

Pogba's pass on the lead up to the goal was sexual. Supposedly Ronnie said he didn't think he meant it - wha? It was totally deliberate.

Seen on the BBC text page for the game...

"This bloke Pogba playing for France, is he any relation to the Pogba that plays for Manchester United?"

• Advertisement

Rudiger really getting into the Hannibal Lector character.

Arghus wrote: »
    Pogba's pass on the lead up to the goal was sexual. Supposedly Ronnie said he didn't think he meant it - wha? It was totally deliberate.

No idea what Ron was thinking he was doing. It was either a cross or a shot and it wasn’t a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Rudiger really getting into the Hannibal Lector character.

Did he actually bite Pogba?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

jojofizzio wrote: »

Just a nibble

Very strange from Rudiger. Dídi really doesn't want to accuse him of biting: "ahh, what are the actual rules..."

Kinda gnawed him. Feckin weird.

• Advertisement

What is that an armband infused sweater? Roy is still the captain in his mind

Wasn't proper Suarez level of chomp, but definitely a light nibble, a bit of nipple play as well. They were getting close, that's for sure.

So that's his secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

Fair play to Ronaldo for doing that. No need to be ever drinking that Shiite.

• Advertisement
Advertisement