Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there any country you would not go to even if you were paid to go there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

volchitsa wrote: »
    Is this a joke? A mixture of Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan?

If so, Almaty in Kazakhstan is well worth seeing: the name is said to mean "City of apples" because apples are thought to have originated there, and there is still a hige diversity in the region's wild apples. There are several other places in Kazakhstan that are well worth visiting, though I've not actually been to Astana (Nur Sultan) its present day capital, as we went across theborder from Kyrgyzstan. Uzbekistan is great too, a fantastic place to visit.

(Sorry I know the OP asked for the opposite, but I wondered what places the poster meant by the above)

Don't believe the Borat hype as well, Khazak women are absolute crackers. A mix of Russian, Central Asian and East Asian features. Have seen some really beautiful creatures from that part of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Piriz wrote: »
    great thread,

I'm very interested to read the debate especially about Iran and Belarus.
    I've heard Iran is amazing and i think its most certainly been confirmed by a few great posts on this thread. I will bump Iran up the list of destinations for a family holiday.. (i wonder what its like for 3 small kids?, i'm sure its fine too).

Belarus is not a country i would have given much attention to visiting, however some of the posts have definitely heightened my curiosity about the place.

I was supposed to go to Albania last summer but Covid got in the way.. dying to go there.. i think this region has a lot to offer, Sarajevo is class, as is Croatia, and Montenegro..

I'm quite cautious of Mexico and other central American countries like Honduras, Guatemala, El Salvador, i'd love to go but i think i'd have difficulty relaxing there.. for fear of being robbed, or worse.. might add Brazil to that list too.

Australia - too far.. for some reason i enjoyed reading the posts that are critical of Australia...

Fascinating to read some of the posters who seem to have travelled to everywhere.. fair play.. its one of the best things to do in life..

I can confirm that Iran is indeed a great place with amazing, intelligent people.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    I really can't understand why any Irish person goes to Dubai/Qatar etc. for a holiday or to work. I couldn't care how much they down there the restrictive lifestyle is a disgusting and I could never live in it and for a holiday it looks like an awful soulless plastic place

It looks like one big airport lounge.

Mauritania, for me

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

AMKC wrote: »
    Me I would not go to Turkey. I was there once and would never go again. I found the people rude and small minded as well as backwards.

Would never go to Turkey. Ever. Same with those horrible Middle East oil countries, Saudi, Qatar etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Surprised at that, heard it was great Orange Peeling country (in your pocket) variety :)

Apparently wedding bookings have skyrocketed in Cavan since they brought in the 25 guest maximum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Aurelian

It looks like one big airport lounge.

Mauritania, for me

People casually mentioning Mauritania and Paupa New Guinea I these threads and not elaborating! I'd love to hear more about these places.

One thing that holds me back travel wise is I really struggle with long haul. Anything more than a couple of hours on a plane really puts me off. That said I will head to Asia as soon as travel looks anyway normal again.

Aurelian wrote: »
    People casually mentioning Mauritania and Paupa New Guinea I these threads and not elaborating! I'd love to hear more about these places.

One thing that holds me back travel wise is I really struggle with long haul. Anything more than a couple of hours on a plane really puts me off. That said I will head to Asia as soon as travel looks anyway normal again.

Check out Bald and Bankrupt's videos on his trip to Mauritania. Seems like a deserted wasteland with lads constantly telling not to film anything. He took Africa's worst railway journey there also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Genre..

Papa New Guinea

Anything I read or hear about the place is bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Tajikistan is a hole of a place.even if the tickets were free I wouldn't go back.

Cal4567 wrote: »
    This thread reminded me of Turkey. Yes, it was cheap and the weather was great, by my god they are in the dark ages. The women in our party were unhappy with all the attention. I think we thought it would be more modern as internationally that is the image it has tried to present itself.

No, a very patriarchal society.

Won't be going back there.

Irish grannies seem like going there for the sausage going by the tv shows and articles that pop up now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

glasso wrote: »
    Irish grannies seem like going there for the sausage going by the tv shows and articles that pop up now and again.

Yep. The waiters over there are very amenable chaps. Some of them fall hopelessly in love with women 30-40 years older than them. They couldn’t possibly have ulterior motives, could they?

I was offered a job in Doha about 10 years ago and the money benefits sounded great but I said no when I was told you have to prebook taxis between hotel compound for your night out and can't live with a woman unless you are married and have to sneak into your girlfriends house at night.

I could never look a woman in the eye and not feel ashamed if I lived in a country like that

It's not all like that, I haven't been to Doha, so I can't comment, but in Dubai they say you cannot live together if you're not married, in reality it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭whomadewho

I really can't understand why any Irish person goes to Dubai/Qatar etc. for a holiday or to work. I couldn't care how much they down there the restrictive lifestyle is a disgusting and I could never live in it and for a holiday it looks like an awful soulless plastic place

I agree, I used to stop over ever time in Dubai to visit a friend who worked there while on going my holidays to Asia. 4 times in all, I've never felt more uncomfortable in a City. It's a City with no culture. Just too much bling. Since my friend has moved back home I would never go back again.

bubblypop wrote: »
    It's not all like that, I haven't been to Doha, so I can't comment, but in Dubai they say you cannot live together if you're not married, in reality it happens.

Qatar would be quite the step up from Dubai where the "western lifestyle" is "tolerated" once you're not taking the piss and riding on the beach (as noted from previous arrests etc)

Also alcohol is much more tightly controlled in Qatar compared to Dubai

Dubai is still a crappy place - all it is hotels and shops really

even the sea is pretty minging - just a stagnant pool

it's also way too hot in the Summer

If you're purely into the consumer lifestyle it would suit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

England.

Qatar would be quite the step up from Dubai where the "western lifestyle" is "tolerated" once you're not taking the piss and riding on the beach (as noted from previous arrests etc)

Also alcohol is much more tightly controlled in Qatar compared to Dubai

Dubai is still a crappy place - all it is hotels and shops really

even the sea is pretty minging - just a stagnant pool

it's also way too hot in the Summer

If you're purely into the consumer lifestyle it would suit

Dubai is definitely not an interesting holiday destination for me, but for a few years working, it's a good spot!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

As a gay man, I have to also be mindful of deeply anti-gay and homophobic countries where I and my OH could be arrested and jailed for sharing a hotel bedroom etc.

So that rules out most of Africa and practically all of the Middle East. No way am I going to give these countries my hard-earned money just to facilitate them persecuting and oppressing their own women and sexual minorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

I was offered a job in Doha about 10 years ago and the money benefits sounded great but I said no when I was told you have to prebook taxis between hotel compound for your night out and can't live with a woman unless you are married and have to sneak into your girlfriends house at night.

I could never look a woman in the eye and not feel ashamed if I lived in a country like that

Why not ? Would add to the craic surely. Knock the doorman out with a cup of strong cafe and have your way with the girl upstairs .. then sneak away by moonlight .. runners in hand.

In reality, if you don't call attention to yourself - eg drunken parties, you are fine. You get a liquor licence monthly - if you want to drink. You are free to basically do what you like. Just be discreet.

Folk go there to earn money. There is a great water sports community if you're into that.
    Yes, the rest is soul-less desert. But there are folk who like camping in the desert at wkends.

Its not for everyone but Afghanistan it is not

Dubai is definitely not an interesting holiday destination for me, but for a few years working, it's a good spot!

yes could make sense for working

there are also something like 30,000 Emirates air hostesses based there (assuming the air industry comes back) so not bad for a single lad!

I've been there for short work projects (couple or 3 weeks each time) but I don't get people who would go there on holiday personally - excepting the "cocktail instagram shot from the pool type" really

• Advertisement

JupiterKid wrote: »
    As a gay man, I have to also be mindful of deeply anti-gay and homophobic countries where I and my OH could be arrested and jailed for sharing a hotel bedroom etc.

So that rules out most of Africa and practically all of the Middle East.

From my time in M /east, Saudi, Qatar etc, I met lots of active gay people - even moreso because womens' freedom to mingle was so restricted in these places. Homosexuality was rife. Again, discretion is key

It was not evident in public obviously but exist, it sure did.

Interesting observation - in Saudi there are no actual laws criminalizing homosexual acts but that does not prevent a prosecution if found in the act

Saudis consider the 'receiver' of the homosexual act to be gay and culpable, not the 'giver'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Genre.. wrote: »
    Papa New Guinea

Anything I read or hear about the place is bad

From what I hear tribes and/or gangs robbing and/or kicking the sh1t out of one another and bunches of hardened ex-pats living in secure compounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

john123470 wrote: »
    From my time in M /east, Saudi, Qatar etc, I met lots of active gay people - even moreso because womens' freedom to mingle was so restricted in these places. Homosexuality was rife. Again, discretion is key '.

Haven’t been to the gulf states, but Tel Aviv in Israel is a gay Mecca. Was only there for a short while but was pleasantly surprised by how tolerant it is towards the gay community.

Rainbow flags were pretty prevalent and I saw far more gay couples (mostly male) being openly affectionate in public than I’ve ever seen in Dublin. Definitely a place worth checking out if you’re gay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

I've done Israel, Palestine, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain and Egypt. Would love to go to Iran and some of the others. Israel would be lowest on the list to return due to the political views of the average person there. Country is cool though

Thing you have to accept is that there will be cultural aspects you dislike/hate/fear. But there will be others that you will never see the like anywhere else, in a positive sense.

I would go to North Korea if allowed also. Even as bad as it is. People make do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

john123470 wrote: »

Saudis consider the 'receiver' of the homosexual act to be gay and culpable, not the 'giver'.

That’s interesting. I don’t mean to go off topic but I wonder if that means that a guy who was raped can be prosecuted.

poisonated wrote: »
    That’s interesting. I don’t mean to go off topic but I wonder if that means that a guy who was raped can be prosecuted.

Saudi is all sorts of fooked up

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/nov/17/saudiarabia.international
    Rape victim sentenced to 200 lashes and six months in jail

"laws" written to suit feudal inbreds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Rebel_Kn1ght

Japan/Ukraine/Australia

Saudi is all sorts of fooked up

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/nov/17/saudiarabia.international

"laws" written to suit feudal inbreds

This is true and of course, terrible, i agree. But they also have one of the largest fountains in the world and some magnificent palaces in Riyadh. Just the experience being a foreign non Muslim there is unique!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

India / Pakistan. Most of Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

India, even pre-covid.

I've done Israel, Palestine, Saudi Arabia, Oman, Bahrain and Egypt. Would love to go to Iran and some of the others. Israel would be lowest on the list to return due to the political views of the average person there. Country is cool though

Thing you have to accept is that there will be cultural aspects you dislike/hate/fear. But there will be others that you will never see the like anywhere else, in a positive sense.

I would go to North Korea if allowed also. Even as bad as it is. People make do...

You'd need to wait for a new passport though as you wouldn't be allowed into Iran with an Israeli stamp, no?

I was due to visit the US a month after going to Iran so needed to apply for a US visa as it's on their banned list. Fortunately it was straightforward enough with no intrusive questions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Anywhere with snakes that can kill you after they lose in hide and seek.

Liberia wont suit you so.....there's one area called Mamba Point after the Black Mamba snakes that frequent it.... but aside from the snakes, It's OK......:D

poisonated wrote: »

Nothing is ruled out in the Magick Kingdom

This is true and of course, terrible, i agree. But they also have one of the largest fountains in the world and some magnificent palaces in Riyadh. Just the experience being a foreign non Muslim there is unique!

couldn't stomach giving the Saudis a cent

will never go there

that MBS is like inbred evil arrogant bastard incarnate

Hamachi wrote: »
    Haven’t been to the gulf states, but Tel Aviv in Israel is a gay Mecca. Was only there for a short while but was pleasantly surprised by how tolerant it is towards the gay community.

Rainbow flags were pretty prevalent and I saw far more gay couples (mostly male) being openly affectionate in public than I’ve ever seen in Dublin. Definitely a place worth checking out if you’re gay.

I'm not gay but if you have leads on any loose women .. i'm here on standby ... awaiting your instructions

You'd need to wait for a new passport though as you wouldn't be allowed into Iran with an Israeli stamp, no?

I was due to visit the US a month after going to Iran so needed to apply for a US visa as it's on their banned list. Fortunately it was straightforward enough with no intrusive questions!

Funny thing was the first time I went to Israel was 2 weeks before I went to Saudi. But they don't stamp your passport in tel Aviv, same as in Havana. Just give you a bit of paper. I had 5 stamps for Egypt in my passport due to work and they were VERY interested in that though.. Actually missed my flight due to security questioning

Funny thing was the first time I went to Israel was 2 weeks before I went to Saudi. But they don't stamp your passport in tel Aviv, same as in Havana. Just give you a bit of paper. I had 5 stamps for Egypt in my passport due to work and they were VERY interested in that though.. Actually missed my flight due to security questioning

I didn't have any issues. Went through Egypt, Jordan, Iran, and then Israel about 6 years ago, all during the same holiday period. Some raised eyebrows but no real examination of what I'd been doing in any of the countries. I've been back to Israel twice since then, and Iran, once more.

Absolutely, loved both Israel and Iran. Neither are really like how they're described abroad. Spent most of the time around the various universities, and had a blast. People were lovely, and I don't think I met anyone who was rude.

I've met a lot of people (expats living China) since then who have been to both countries, and everyone seems to have their own perspective, positive or negative. They're both countries that people seem to either love or hate. Little space for a middle ground viewpoint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Lockheed

Israel

As for where not to go, Mexico, and a variety of the South American countries. Just far too dodgy for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

archer22 wrote: »
    The Netherlands..most pig ignorant place I ever encountered.

Anywhere in the middle east with the exception of Iran.

Really ? Well whatever version of failte Ireland they have in the Netherlands, they’ve done a great PR job. I’ve never heard of this about the Dutch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

jmreire wrote: »
    Liberia wont suit you so.....there's one area called Mamba Point after the Black Mamba snakes that frequent it.... but aside from the snakes, It's OK......:D

Ah Mamba Point, haven't heard that in years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Esho wrote: »
    I would think long and hard about going to Russia, if I was being paid to go there.
    Never met a Russian who wasn't racist or sexy, reminds me of hiw the Brits used to think about the Irish pre- Riverdance.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Ah Mamba Point, haven't heard that in years.

Are you sorry???? Do you miss it? :)

There is literally no country I wouldn't visit, there are some im not so interested in, and a few I wouldn't care to go back to, but I love to see new places.
    I think covid has actually made me more interested in going places i used to have no interest in!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Arturo Delgado

Egypt. Once was enough. The history is fantastic but you can't enjoy it for the begging and hawking. Cairo was a culture shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

There is literally no country I wouldn't visit, there are some im not so interested in, and a few I wouldn't care to go back to, but I love to see new places.
    I think covid has actually made me more interested in going places i used to have no interest in!

Agreed. I'd go anywhere, especially if it was going to be free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I was hearing this from the guy offering the job. Thought it was an odd sales pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭chosen1

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Really ? Well whatever version of failte Ireland they have in the Netherlands, they’ve done a great PR job. I’ve never heard of this about the Dutch.

I've never heard it either or experienced it in my 10 or 12 visits to various parts of the Netherlands.

Reminds me of a pig ignorant lad went to college with me who proclaimed that a particular country hated the Irish as they hated him on his visit there.

For me it would probably be some of the African countries such as Nigeria who have severe levels of poverty, wealthy elites, corruption, crime and no major cultural or geographical attractions.

I'd have similar concerns about India having visited a neighbouring country with similar levels of poverty and it was awful seeing it in person. Donated to charities over there but felt helpless walking around as a relatively rich westerner. I would however love to see some of the attractions there so hoping the plight of people improves there and I can visit it in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

jmreire wrote: »
    Are you sorry???? Do you miss it? :)

I had Christmas dinner in Mamba Point hotel. Twas awful :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

JupiterKid wrote: »

So that rules out most of Africa and practically all of the Middle East. No way am I going to give these countries my hard-earned money just to facilitate them persecuting and oppressing their own women and sexual minorities.

And Northern Ireland if you are trying to buy a cake.

It must be horrible having to Google which countries want you dead before you choose a holiday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

archer22 wrote: »
    Yeah I find it strange that a lot of people think they are "friendly"...the reality is quite different, obnoxious is probably the best word to describe them.

We did a house swap with a Dutch family and had a great time. Lovely family and would happily go again. been there twice and really enjoyed it.

Advertisement