Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there any country you would not go to even if you were paid to go there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Most if not all Arab countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Egypt. Once was enough. The history is fantastic but you can't enjoy it for the begging and hawking. Cairo was a culture shock.

I found that copying what your average Egyptian wears, collared shirt and long trousers, not the T shirt, shorts and prominent camera combo beloved of tourists, I managed to evade the vast majority of the hawkers without them copping me. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Japan/Ukraine/Australia

Japan?

Clean; safe; sophisticated culture with polite people; nature; Tokyo is among the world's great cities and the country generally is one of the great culinary destinations of the world.

That's a serious head scratcher. Been there several times and always come away wanting more. Anyone I know who has been there reports the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Das Reich

Tzardine wrote: »
    I have lived and worked in a lot of the Middle East, but predominantly Kuwait and Iraq. The stereotype of Gulf countries is unfortunately false. They are full of culture, welcoming people, and truly beautiful landscapes. Obviously however there are issues which cannot be overlooked, chiefly the (mis)treatment of women and the LGBT community, but I do recommend people to visit and experience them. You just have to be mindful of the cultural differences and abide by them so long as you are there.

The one country I will never go back to is Italy. Outside of the countryside which is undoubtedly beautiful, the cities are sh1tholes, full of people trying to scam you at every opportunity.

Have you ever been in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

India, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines etc.

All those places in south Asia that are hot, packed, stinking and full of food poisoning. I don't mind hot humid countries that are westernised; Australia, Singapore, Japan, the Emirates, Indian Ocean tourist archipelagoes etc. But other than that, why would you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭whomadewho

Larbre34 wrote: »
    India, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Indonesia, Philippines etc.

All those places in south Asia that are hot, packed, stinking and full of food poisoning. I don't mind hot humid countries that are westernised; Australia, Singapore, Japan, the Emirates, Indian Ocean tourist archipelagoes etc. But other than that, why would you...

I been to all the above places bar the Philippines & India which I intend to get to. loved every one of them, so much to see and do. Probably the least expensive counties to travel to. If you haven't been, I would advise to visit, you won't regret it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

Thailand is my favourite country in the world. I just could not get over how welcoming the people were. Humble people who would give you their last penny.

The scenery is just amazing and it has the best beaches in the world.

It's getting expensive these days but well worth it. Much more to Thailand than Ladyboys and cheap beer. I've spent a lot of time there and never once got an upset stomach. Use your brain and you'll be fine.

India wouldn't appeal to me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Knocking off the obvious one's first....Israel, Most of the middle east, Africa.

Australia though is one place I would have such little interest in. Too hot, cities look bland, tourist spots look over-packed.

Southeast Asia, because I have no interest in being eaten alive by insects and trying to pretend I am enjoying myself in humid muggy conditions.

India. Loud, dirty, and massive hygiene problems that you just have to accept (like diarrhea) if you're going to go there.

So yeah, a lot of places I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,409 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Swaine wrote: »
    Thailand is my favourite country in the world. I just could not get over how welcoming the people were. Humble people who would give you their last penny.

It's getting expensive these days but well worth it. Much more to Thailand than Ladyboys and cheap beer. I've spent a lot of time there and never once got an upset stomach. Use your brain and you'll be fine.

But the ladyboys and cheap beer are a plus :)

whomadewho wrote: »
    I been to all the above places bar the Philippines & India which I intend to get to. loved every one of them, so much to see and do. Probably the least expensive counties to travel to. If you haven't been, I would advise to visit, you won't regret it.

Oh but I've already been to a few. How cheap a place is isn't a big attraction to me. I'm happy to pay a reasonable amount for quality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭ulster

Das Reich wrote: »
    Have you ever been in Dublin?

I was gonna say Afghanistan, but I think I have found a better answer now. Hahaha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The Philippines is pretty westernised...

Bambi wrote: »
    The Philippines is pretty westernised...

To an extent. Poverty and crime is dreadful though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I was stabbed by a guy in Netherlands but I would still go back in a heartbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Kiribati. There's almost nothing of it left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I was only in Manila. Absolute kip with nothing to see and the traffic was the worst I have ever seen! Nearby pagsanjan waterfall was nice though! That being said, I enjoyed my time in the Philippines. The people there are great! I have heard though that it’s a country where you have a higher risk of being kidnapped than most other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Hamachi

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Southeast Asia, because I have no interest in being eaten alive by insects and trying to pretend I am enjoying myself in humid muggy conditions.

I had an absolute ball traveling around South East Asia but your post has reminded me of the one downside. My God, the mosquito and insect bites were horrific. As soon as one crop of bites healed, I’d get bitten again.

The only thing that stopped me losing my mind scratching was sudocrem. I had brought a jumbo container of it with me. It doesn’t seem to be a well known product in much of Europe, but when the other backpackers learned that it helps relieve the bites, I was the most popular guy in the hostel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

I had Christmas dinner in Mamba Point hotel. Twas awful :pac:

Well, I often had a drink or 10 there, but never tried the food...however some where along the Liberian line, I picked up a food bug that nearly killed me.....and would have, if I had stayed on there much longer. Its not called the "Whitemans Graveyard" for nothing... I would not have been the first one to be medivacked out of it either. Talk about souvenir's......:cool:

Swaine wrote: »

Thailand is also one of the best gastronomic countries in the world. Even the street food is prepared well in 99 percent of cases. Anyone worried about the scuts there is denying themselves one of the best cuisines. As above, use your brain and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Arturo Delgado

Yurt! wrote: »
    Japan?

Clean; safe; sophisticated culture with polite people; nature; Tokyo is among the world's great cities and the country generally is one of the great culinary destinations of the world.

That's a serious head scratcher. Been there several times and always come away wanting more. Anyone I know who has been there reports the same.

Agree on Japan, it's a fantastic place, fascinating. I would never live there, but visiting, no problem. Pity it's off limits now for a while.

• Advertisement

I can't think of any country or continent that I couldn't be paid to go to. There are some I'd have no interest in such as India but I'd travel to them if I were paid lots of money.

I'm very un travelled. It wasn't supposed to be like this but such is life.

I'd love to go to Israel and Iran and Japan and China and Russia and New Zealand. Someday I'll get there.

Agree on Japan, it's a fantastic place, fascinating. I would never live there, but visiting, no problem. Pity it's off limits now for a while.

Best way to do it (if you can manage it for time) is to take 3-4 weeks and get a JR rail pass. Did a big trip like that the first time I went. Started in Kyushu and managed to make my way all the way up to Hokkaido, but even then I was caught for time. I'd leave out Hokkaido, even though it was awesome in and of itself and spend more time on Honshu where most of the action is.

Do yourself a favour and don't go in summer, absolutely boiling. Autumn or spring in Japan is magical and the weather is perfect for a pink skinned Irish piglet.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Donegal Overlanding

Hamachi wrote: »
    Not disputing your post, but how can you decide that people are nice, kind, and educated if you’re only in the country briefly and don’t speak the local language proficiently?

I lived like a local for a decade in another country. If it taught me anything, it’s that the gamut of humanity exists everywhere. Really nice people vs. awful arseholes, super smart vs. thick as pig ****, outward- vs. inward-looking. There’s light and shadow everywhere.

Of course there are complete arseholes everywhere too, but in general we are fed a constant negative and biased view of so many places. Its hard not to be influenced by that constant bombardment.

The amount of places I have been to, even areas within countries, that everyone warns us not to go to because we will be robbed, killed, maimed, raped or whatever, I've been to loads and almost always I've been met with warmth, kindness, openness, hospitality and people who were genuinely interested in who I was, what I was doing and what I thought of their country. People who could ill afford it wanting to demonstrate the very best of their country with pride and passion.

If you've done any kind of travelling, you will meet thousands of other travellers and its what we find everywhere.

I've had more potentially risky incidents in Derry, Dublin and Glasgow than anywhere else to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Hamachi

If you've done any kind of travelling, you will meet thousands of other travellers and its what we find everywhere.

I've had more potentially risky incidents in Derry, Dublin and Glasgow than anywhere else to be honest.

I’ve done plenty of traveling and people are people no matter where you go. Some nice, some rude, some indifferent. In fact, the latter is probably the default state in the developed world as people are busy getting on with their own lives and are almost immune to tourists / travelers.

Your final statement is difficult to believe unless you’re deliberately seeking out trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

The United States always needs a boogey man, Iran is just the latest.

True, hope it works out better for Iran than did for the US's previous boogey man, Libya was really nice before the US/NATO destroyed everything.
    On pay when got to each of the Persian gulf countries in the past. Don't intend to set foot in any of the others again, but do hope to visit Iran as a tourist in the future.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Happyhouse22

I can't think of any country or continent that I couldn't be paid to go to. There are some I'd have no interest in such as India but I'd travel to them if I were paid lots of money.

I'm very un travelled. It wasn't supposed to be like this but such is life.

Haha, ya I think this is hat people are missing in this thread - the money!

Fair enough you don’t enjoy the company of Dutch people, but seems like a crazy reasons to not take up the offer of free cash!

Hamachi wrote: »
    I had an absolute ball traveling around South East Asia but your post has reminded me of the one downside. My God, the mosquito and insect bites were horrific. As soon as one crop of bites healed, I’d get bitten again.

The only thing that stopped me losing my mind scratching was sudocrem. I had brought a jumbo container of it with me. It doesn’t seem to be a well known product in much of Europe, but when the other backpackers learned that it helps relieve the bites, I was the most popular guy in the hostel.

Garlic. Eat some Garlic in the morning, and again, around 7. Most mosquitoes will avoid you, and when you do get bitten, the garlic will hasten, the healing resisting the poison left behind. Most local dishes will have heaps of garlic in them, but most westerners avoid eating the garlic thinking they're just for show. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Garlic. Eat some Garlic in the morning, and again, around 7. Most mosquitoes will avoid you, and when you do get bitten, the garlic will hasten, the healing resisting the poison left behind. Most local dishes will have heaps of garlic in them, but most westerners avoid eating the garlic thinking they're just for show. :D

Pity I didn't know that when I was in Liberia .( and a few other places as well ).....I was on the mossie menu morning noon and night, even liberally doused with Anti-Brumm deodorant, sourrounded with anti mosquito joss sticks,and taking anti-malaria tablets daily. The Irish blood transfusion service stopped taking blood from me a long time ago.:(

• Advertisement

Case in point. Why would any person from this Country, ever want or need to go to Liberia?!

Case in point. Why would any person from this Country, ever want or need to go to Liberia?!

There'd be quite a few Irish aid agencies and NGOs active in Liberia. We have an embassy there and there's probably some Irish religious orders still there. Maybe some business bits and pieces too.

Ireland is unusually active in Africa for a country its size, you'd be surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Israel. Murderous state.

Actually, while slightly higher than here, the murder rate is very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

dotsman wrote: »
    Actually, while slightly higher than here, the murder rate is very low.

The state-sanctioned murder rate is higher though.

jmreire wrote: »
    Pity I didn't know that when I was in Liberia .( and a few other places as well ).....I was on the mossie menu morning noon and night, even liberally doused with Anti-Brumm deodorant, sourrounded with anti mosquito joss sticks,and taking anti-malaria tablets daily. The Irish blood transfusion service stopped taking blood from me a long time ago.:(

Oh, I know. My first few years in Asia were hell. Get bitten and the bites would swell up huge, more than they did for the rest of my friends. Average evening would be 5-7 bites, and more than once I took to bed early because the effects the bites had on me, sweating off a fever just from the bites themselves.

The garlic is great because you actually sweat the scent of the garlic, or something like that. It was explained to me, but I didn't really understand the explanation, however, I know that it works. The added advantage is that a regular intake of garlic will also help with the skin rashes (Jock itch), and other issues that often arise in Asia or Africa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

I don’t think I could go anywhere where people are so much poorer than us. Poor but happy doesn’t cut it anymore now that we have instant worldwide communications. The poor know exactly what they haven’t got.
    Who remembers Club Med enclaves in Haiti and Dominican Republic? You were wined and dined and got a tourist trip off the site to see the locals. How quaint the natives.
    I wouldn’t go anywhere that you get fungus growing in your armpits after a couple of days from the heat and humidity:-)
    Dubai FFS what is the point? I wouldn’t go near anywhere Saudi either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

cagefactor wrote: »
    Spent some time in Ivory Coast, never again.

Can you say why? Just curious as the name has always been why I want to go but never had the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

There'd be quite a few Irish aid agencies and NGOs active in Liberia. We have an embassy there and there's probably some Irish religious orders still there. Maybe some business bits and pieces too.

Ireland is unusually active in Africa for a country its size, you'd be surprised.

The Religious Orders are long gone, they are all independent now. My Aunt was one of the last ones out of Zambia in '86. She returned to view about 15 years later. The school was shut down, the hospital was gone, Convent gone and the priest was sacrificing chickens as part of the "mass". TIA.

United States at present. Gun culture & police brutality. Enough said.

Okay, getting shot could happen anywhere there but what kind of things do you get up to that a hammering from a policeman would be a concern?

Rare earth minerals. Alot of these NGOs are scouting for mining companies and such. Most are wolves in sheeps clothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Das Reich wrote: »
    South Africa or any country that people are racists against whites, and I not really "white", more mediterranean.

Nazi that coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

The state-sanctioned murder rate is higher though.

I'd have no problem going to Israel. It's the lunatic asylums that surround it that I'd give a miss.

China.

I loved it there but Chinese people have some odd habits and would drive you nuts. Plus, it wasn’t easy getting around the cities.

Good times though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

I have to admit that I’m not sure if I would go to USA if I was paid.
    I tell myself the people would be lovely, but then I look at the politics, their increasing attempts at faux democracy, the power of their religious leaders on how people live their lives and I think, nah that’s how they vote, this is a schizophrenic nation, do I really want to go there. Maybe it’s me that has the problem:-):-)

Since people are saying where they wouldgo. I’d go to Japan if I was paid or the ancient world, Afghanistan Iran iraq

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Housefree

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    I tell myself the people would be lovely, but then I look at the politics, their increasing attempts at faux democracy, the power of their religious leaders on how people live their lives and I think, nah that’s how they vote, this is a schizophrenic nation, do I really want to go there. Maybe it’s me that has the problem:-):-)

I just can't imagine not getting shot while out on a good session. Could you imagine Ireland on a Saturday night (pre/after Covid) if we were all armed te fuk

SupaCat95 wrote: »
    Rare earth minerals. Alot of these NGOs are scouting for mining companies and such. Most are wolves in sheeps clothing.

I must tell my friend who was doing health sector capacity building projects all over Africa she was actually a clandestine mining company operative staking out cobalt deposits. I'll ask her to sit down as it may come as a surprise to her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There are plenty places that I've no particular interest in going to/seeing/experiencing (India, China, Japan are some that spring instantly to mind), but I'd most definitely go if I was paid, or even if it was just free!

I cannot believe there are people saying they'd never visit the USA! It's far from the top of my list to (re)visit, but I'd most definitely go back - I've only been three times, but had fantastic and fantastically different experiences each time.

I must tell my friend who was doing health sector capacity building projects all over Africa she was actually a clandestine mining company operative staking out cobalt deposits. I'll ask her to sit down as it may come as a surprise to her.

They always slip some darnel in with the wheat. Africa is an untapped goldmine of wealth. You can also try out massive vaccines and medicines for pre approval testing. Just tie them all up with HIV medications and what not. The shennighans that go on over there are unreal.

Beware of Greeks baring gifts. NGOs and charities are always upto some scam even if it is just of sex tourism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,914 ✭✭✭Polar101

Saudi Arabia, but currently also crisis zones like Yemen or Myanmar.

There are plenty of countries I wouldn't really want to visit, but if I got paid to visit I could be persuaded.

Kewreeuss wrote: »

Since people are saying where they wouldgo. I’d go to Japan if I was paid or the ancient world, Afghanistan Iran iraq

Yes a lot of Yanks are bonkers but that is the one we see and here about.

I’m sure there are plenty who are okay.

The stuff you mention is only a problem if you live in certain places. Not if you are a tourist.

The reason for going places were not specified so I will correct my earlier post - I couldn’t live in China again. I would not object to busting again though - but plenty of other places I haven’t seen yet.

Polar101 wrote: »
    Saudi Arabia, but currently also crisis zones like Yemen or Myanmar.

There are plenty of countries I wouldn't really want to visit, but if I got paid to visit I could be persuaded.

Yes If we are getting paid I will go anywhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement