Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there any country you would not go to even if you were paid to go there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭chosen1

Huh? Ireland is still better than India. Personally, I'd say that Ireland ranks pretty high compared to most countries, once someone has gained some extensive experience of living abroad.

The lack of severe corruption, lack of police brutality, lack of serious crime, fairly temperate weather, lack of pollution, decent quality of natural foods, etc. all place Ireland as being superior.

Experience has taught me to appreciate Ireland. Sure, there are a rake of downsides, but they're pretty minor compared to most other nations.

As for Thurles.. I lived there for three years, and I wouldn't want to return.. but if my only other option was something equivalent in India.. yeah.. I'd jump at Ireland instead.

You'll have someone come along shortly to tell you that Ireland is the most corrupt country in the world with a 3rd world health service.

One of the best things I ever did was travel extensively when I could. As well as seeing brilliant sights and cultures, it really gives you an appreciation of what we have in Ireland and the benefits of living in a well developed country.

Fully aware that not all things are perfect and we should strive to improve ourselves in many areas but I would take living here over most of the countries I've visited.

john123470 wrote: »
    G'wan .. admit it.
    Man up

TBF, you sound like a teenager considering the language you're throwing out.

So, I'll leave it at that since you're showing your ignorance every time you try to be cool. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Oh look another racist post. ��

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭john123470

TBF, you sound like a teenager considering the language you're throwing out.

So, I'll leave it at that since you're showing your ignorance every time you try to be cool. :rolleyes:

You got me, damn. You're sharp !

Memories of my Indian travels are flooding back now. Travelling thru Bangalore, capital of Karnataka. People sat outside their humble wooden houses, sat amongst cows - the cow is sacred in Hindu religion. Just like a 16th century postcard. Poor, peaceful and happy

Biking around Karnataka, you turn a corner and theres a 13th century temple in the middle of a field. Like a vision

Turn another corner and theres the most beautiful girl you ever clapped eyes on .. walking toward you with a steaming cow**** in her hand. They have various uses for cow feces. The speed and deftness involved in getting a shot of the girl and her cowpatty before she can say, No !! 😱

A rave on a beach in Goa where a German woman took advantage of me with a full on harvest moon beating down .. that real hands-on, can do German spirit. Unforgettable. I still have sand in my hair

I could go on .. but whats the point. Nobody cares

I will say tho that I never once wished myself in Thurles during my time in India. Also, i hear that cows are treated abominably in Thurles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

john123470 wrote: »

I will say tho that I never once wished myself in Thurles during my time in India. Also, i hear that cows are treated abominably in Thurles

I know. Maybe if I was in a Turkish prison or stuck down a crevasse halfway up K2 I might wish I was in Thurles, but apart from those discreet scenarios, I'd hope I never wish to be in Thurles in my entire life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

The Goa raves look like great craic in fairness.

Chinasea wrote: »
    Oh look another racist post. ��

huh? What's racist in my post?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

immigration officer tried to keep my passport wanted me to pay to give it back. Scam central the whole place. Want to jump the queue? Flash a US dollar, you're straight to the top. whatever you want, security men/cops/soldiers will kick everyone out of the way for a buck. Everything about the place is bad. Cairo is a giant collapsing city, and it's to do with Nasser freezing all rents at 1954 rates to the current day. From my 14th floor the clouds were the smog of 3 million vehicles on the streets. No car lanes so no lane discipline. Dead donkeys and horses dumped in the irrigation canals. Plastic choking the rivers and canals, as if the recycling lorries just tipped stuff in 24/7. Scam central, the whole place. Topped by a violent military which controls everything and pulls people off the street at a whim.

It's all in Allah's hands, apparently.

These conditions exist because of puppet dictators installed by Western governments. Crush the people lest they get any notions of democracy that might give them a say in the running of the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭enricoh

Yurt! wrote: »
    I know. Maybe if I was in a Turkish prison or stuck down a crevasse halfway up K2 I might wish I was in Thurles, but apart from those discreet scenarios, I'd hope I never wish to be in Thurles in my entire life.

Each to their own, had great craic down at the last feile down there. Went to a Munster hurling final down there n had a great session afterwards.
    Was in Nepal 10 year ago n every single traveller I met that came up from India just shook their head n said no!

Sri Lanka was enough for me. Everyone describes the experience as India-lite. Lovely time there but wouldn't fancy the chaos of much of India. Would have to be paid to go as I'd pick many places before it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

These conditions exist because of puppet dictators installed by Western governments. Crush the people lest they get any notions of democracy that might give them a say in the running of the country.

India has been independant since 1947, more than 70 years ago, while Iran removed the Shah in 1979, President Nasser kicked out the western foreigners in 1956,what happened in Egypt since then, is entirely an internal Egyptian matter.
    These countrys at least have not been subjected to Western interference in their affairs since those times. Democracy, as we know it in the West, is a foreign concept in the ME.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Was it hard not avoid banging your head off the feet of people hanging from cranes?

Dunno, too busy going to house parties with a local girl that my mate met on Tinder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

enricoh wrote: »
    Each to their own, had great craic down at the last feile down there. Went to a Munster hurling final down there n had a great session afterwards.
    Was in Nepal 10 year ago n every single traveller I met that came up from India just shook their head n said no!

Best thing about Semple is it's close to the train station for a quick in and out. Absolute kip of a stadium too and I don't understand the fawning over it just cause the lads choose a hotel near by

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭NoLuckLarry

huh? What's racist in my post?

Ah it's just a term these soft minded kids throw around these days without any thought, I wouldn't pay any attention to it.

Hardly. These conditions exist in many nations who have limited involvement with western governments. It's pretty common throughout the world. Take a gander at most nations in Asia, Africa, etc, and you'll find a wide range of corrupt systems, most of which exists without western influence.

Hardly. These conditions exist in many nations who have limited involvement with western governments. It's pretty common throughout the world. Take a gander at most nations in Asia, Africa, etc, and you'll find a wide range of corrupt systems, most of which exists without western influence.

Take a gander at most of Asia or Africa and you will find a country currently or historically under the thumb. Sadly a lot of these countries much like Ireland were left with a gutted civil service and an uneducated population when the colonials pulled out leaving them desperate and ripe for exploitation.

Like when holy mother church kindly offered to run our schools

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Take a gander at most of Asia or Africa and you will find a country currently or historically under the thumb. Sadly a lot of these countries much like Ireland were left with a gutted civil service and an uneducated population when the colonials pulled out leaving them desperate and ripe for exploitation.

Ireland had a pretty cohesive civil service staffed by Irish (and enough Anglo-Irish still knocking about) from independence.

In the cases of India and Africa, the locals were often given the reigns and trusted to run things long before the British left. If you were in early 20th century London, you'd see people of all colours from across the Empire in colleges or crown institutions being apprenticed in affairs of the State to go back to their home countries and assume fairly high levels of responsibility. In French colonies, generally, the opposite was the case, and 'the natives' were kept far away from positions of importance.

Singapore is an example of a country that took the ball and ran with it, like other former British ran states, it had an experienced cadre of civil servants that were often educated in Britain (Lee Kwan Yew trained as a barrister in London for instance).

India and Hong Kong are notable in that snooty Anglophiles still exist at the upper echelons of their society; fond of the days when their families and patronage networks were plucked out by the British and given high-status occupations. It's a weird phenomenon in India, you'll often see elite high-caste Indians decrying the Empire and the shoddy state of things are down to the depredations of colonialism, yet they live their lives like a lowland Scot in a British hill station in Darjeeling, complete with tea, scones and strawberries looking down their noses at low caste Indians (and their son or daughter is always studying in the UK if you ask).

You're giving far too much credit to colonialism, and the influence of Europeans. Most African colonies were administered by Africans educated by their colonial masters (since few Europeans wanted to stay in the colonies), who were left behind when the colonies were abandoned. Now, admittedly, in many cases, these educated/skilled groups were killed by insurgents or during the following civil eruptions, but these countries all had a foundation to educate further people had they wished. In any case, in most of these countries they've had sixty plus years of independence, with volunteers from religious, NGOs or private concerns, offering/selling the knowledge needed to operate a nation.

Just as the angle of exploitation is used too often to excuse the poor or corrupt choices of the ruling classes, or those governments that emerged. They made their own choices, and invited in western governments or companies, because they saw a benefit for themselves. They weren't innocent naive little doves being abused by people sneakier than them. In most cases, these countries had their own long history of abuse, corruption and exploitation of either their own people, or that of their neighbors.

It's just the same with the revisionist history that seeks to excuse the long established African slave trade that existed long before the White man came along. Pass off all responsibility on to Westerners, and that way, everyone is a blameless victim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Hungary.

• Advertisement

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Hungary.

Jaybus lads, have you not been to Budapest? A beautiful classic European capital dripping with history and class. The Danube, great hill walking and wine country not too far away.

Peoples' bar is very high if we're turning our noses up at somewhere like Hungary. Yeah Orban is a sh*te but you won't be asked to sit down for dinner with him or anything.

You're giving far too much credit to colonialism, and the influence of Europeans. Most African colonies were administered by Africans educated by their colonial masters (since few Europeans wanted to stay in the colonies), who were left behind when the colonies were abandoned. Now, admittedly, in many cases, these educated/skilled groups were killed by insurgents or during the following civil eruptions, but these countries all had a foundation to educate further people had they wished. In any case, in most of these countries they've had sixty plus years of independence, with volunteers from religious, NGOs or private concerns, offering/selling the knowledge needed to operate a nation.

Just as the angle of exploitation is used too often to excuse the poor or corrupt choices of the ruling classes, or those governments that emerged. They made their own choices, and invited in western governments or companies, because they saw a benefit for themselves. They weren't innocent naive little doves being abused by people sneakier than them. In most cases, these countries had their own long history of abuse, corruption and exploitation of either their own people, or that of their neighbors.

It's just the same with the revisionist history that seeks to excuse the long established African slave trade that existed long before the White man came along. Pass off all responsibility on to Westerners, and that way, everyone is a blameless victim.

If I am giving colonialism too much credit you are equally giving it not enough. Ide agree that all countries have shady pasts even before colonialism but the process of empire definitely holds back and infantilises most of the locals. Yes a limited middle class emerges to help the foreign administration but they are the minority and even then their benefits are limited compared to the colonials. There's no one simple answer obviously as every country has its own unique issues but I don't see a single country that would claim colonialism as a happy part of the history

The empires also usually left these countries bankrupt and stripped on all natural wealth and are left with 2 things to keep them going in tourism and cheap labour. Ireland got lucky as the big European colony and were lucky to have a stronger base than the rest to grow thanks to this

If I am giving colonialism too much credit you are equally giving it not enough. Ide agree that all countries have shady pasts even before colonialism but the process of empire definitely holds back and infantilises most of the locals. Yes a limited middle class emerges to help the foreign administration but they are the minority and even then their benefits are limited compared to the colonials. There's no one simple answer obviously as every country has its own unique issues but I don't see a single country that would claim colonialism as a happy part of the history

The empires also usually left these countries bankrupt and stripped on all natural wealth and are left with 2 things to keep them going in tourism and cheap labour. Ireland got lucky as the big European colony and were lucky to have a stronger base than the rest to grow thanks to this

At a certain point colonialism ceases to be a compelling explainer for why things look the way the look in certain parts of the world. It's 70 odd years in most cases since the Europeans packed up and left. In that time, South Korea went from being under the yoke of Imperial Japan, destroyed by war and poorer than almost every African country to a technological and export powerhouse; the average Singaporean is now wealthier than the average Briton. Yet we have (some) Indians trying to pin repulsive caste discrimination that holds the country back on the British. I don't buy it, and many Indians don't eithier.

India had so many infrastructural and societal advantages over China at independance (which was thoroughly exploited in the 19th and early 20th centuries), and since they decided to get their sh*t together, their economy has left India's in the dust, while haughty snub-nosed Indian incompetents at the wheel in New Dehli still try to pin the blame on John Bull.

Jaybus lads, have you not been to Budapest? A beautiful classic European capital dripping with history and class. The Danube, great hill walking and wine country not too far away.

Peoples' bar is very high if we're turning our noses up at somewhere like Hungary. Yeah Orban is a sh*te but you won't be asked to sit down for dinner with him or anything.
    True but its kind of negated by the rude grumpy staff throwing receipts at you. I did meet a very nice girl there though.

At a certain point colonialism ceases to be a compelling explainer for why things look the way the look in certain parts of the world. It's 70 odd years in most cases since the Europeans packed up and left. In that time, South Korea went from being under the yoke of Imperial Japan, destroyed by war and poorer than almost every African country to a technological and export powerhouse; the average Singaporean is now wealthier than the average Briton. Yet we have (some) Indians trying to pin repulsive caste discrimination that holds the country back on the British. I don't buy it, and many Indians don't eithier.

India had so much infrastructural and societal advantages over China (which was thoroughly exploited in the 19th and early 20th centuries), and since they decided to get their sh*t together, their economy has left India's in the dust, while haughty snub-nosed Indian incompetents at the wheel in New Dehli still try to pin the blame on John Bull.

India is one where I mostly agree with you. That country and it's caste system infuriates me. Why the poor are not going full Robespierre on the upper class is baffling. I still think though that if those countries were allowed to mature uninterrupted they would not be the basket cases they are now. You keep holding up Singapore but it's an outlier and essentially a city state rather than a large country and not a good example.

I do think as an example Ireland is a good median case for how former colonies go. Im not trying to excuse the actions of the post colonial countries or let anyone off the hook but there is a shared history and pattern to these countries

It's funny the amount of posters complaining about other nationalities being rude. Different societies, different norms. Their not rude,(well I'm sure some are) they're just not Irish, not up in your business all the time!

I was in the queue in Carrols Irish gift shop one day, behind a Finnish couple, they guy behind the counter started questioning them, as they do in there! Poor Finns didn't know what to do, looked like an interrogation room....... That's not their normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

India had so many infrastructural and societal advantages over China at independance (which was thoroughly exploited in the 19th and early 20th centuries), and since they decided to get their sh*t together, their economy has left India's in the dust, while haughty snub-nosed Indian incompetents at the wheel in New Dehli still try to pin the blame on John Bull.

More equal societies seem to have an easier time of developing. That's a lot of Latin America's problem, the gap between rich and poor is so enormous that it's difficult to promote any sort of development that helps everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

That depends. How much are we talking here?

I have before yeah, lovely spot.

But that POS is a fox in the hen house of the EU. Only yesterday voted to roll back gay equality into the dark ages. Its up to the Hungarian people to elect who they want, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't suffer the consequences. Any right thinking person should be boycotting Hungary as they would any place that implements State run subjugation. You cannot separate one from the other as you suggest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

UAE for me, it seems to be the most extreme example of the gap between the rich and the poor. Skyscrapers and supercars existing alongside slavery. And they seem proud of it like it's a virtue.

Yes, but I didn't say that countries would view their colonial past as a positive. Colonialism was an often brutal form of conquest and occupation, along with the plantation of a very different culture... Yes, I'm well aware of that, but at the same time, I don't see it as the absolute evil that many want to make it out to be.

Just look at Africa. Before colonialism, genocide, and warfare was commonplace. The tribes did their very best to exterminate each other, and following the end of colonialism, they returned to that because colonialism had utterly failed to destroy the cultures surrounding the tribal system. You can see the same in Asia, or S.America, where the original cultures and way of life, managed to survive (somewhat) their colonial history, and retain the negatives that went before it.

You're shifting the goalposts between the first post and the second post.

Stripped of all natural wealth? Don't make me laugh. Africa retained most of their mineral wealth after the Europeans left. Zimbabwe was a massive producer of agricultural products for export. In most cases, colonial areas were productive and kept their vast amount of resources, along with the infrastructure to exploit those resources... but what happened after independence? Destruction of that infrastructure, the murder of those skilled/educated, and a turning to communism, or whatever similar ideology that was an opposite of their past colonial masters. It was only after colonialism, with the advent of technology leading to more effective strip mining, that western companies were brought in.. at the behest of the new governments.

It's only in colonies which traditionally produced little, and were held as places for prestige, that little was left behind... but then, there was little there when they were occupied..

I get the hatred of colonialism from an Irish perspective... but what happened elsewhere was not the same as with Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Any right thinking person should be boycotting Hungary as they would any place that implements State run subjugation. You cannot separate one from the other as you suggest.

Good luck with that. In pre-Covid times, Budapest was heaving with tourists from all over Western Europe. Most were simply enjoying a beautiful city and few appeared to share your ideological concerns. I’ve no doubt that will continue when travels restrictions are finally lifted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

ShaneU wrote: »
    North Korea

I've been there. It's worth a visit. You will have a positive impact on the locals and it's an incredibly weird but interesting experience. Also they like Ireland. Westlife are very popular there.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I've been there. It's worth a visit. You will have a positive impact on the locals and it's an incredibly weird but interesting experience. Also they like Ireland. Westlife are very popular there.

No wonder they are resistant to western culture if they have heard Westlife

Hamachi wrote: »
    Good luck with that. In pre-Covid times, Budapest was heaving with tourists from all over Western Europe. Most were simply enjoying a beautiful city and few appeared to share your ideological concerns. I’ve no doubt that will continue when travels restrictions are finally lifted.

They wouldn't necessarily have been aware of the brewing ideological concerns at the time.

However, with the demise of people like Trump and Netanyahu and the embryonic resurgence of a progressive centrist era in Europe and America, it throws figures like Orban and his pals, Lukashenko, Putin and the Polish leadership into sharp relief.

You may be right about tourist numbers, but there will be no shortage of pressure on Orban from European governmental and non-governmental interests for his rights policies going forward.

Turkey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

SupaCat95 wrote: »
    There are two things you should never see made, Comedy and Kebabs!
    Thank you folks I am here until the weekend.

Where are you off to?

They wouldn't necessarily have been aware of the brewing ideological concerns at the time.

However, with the demise of people like Trump and Netanyahu and the embryonic resurgence of a progressive centrist era in Europe and America, it throws figures like Orban and his pals, Lukashenko, Putin and the Polish leadership into sharp relief.

You may be right about tourist numbers, but there will be no shortage of pressure on Orban from European governmental and non-governmental interests for his rights policies going forward.

Politics does not come into most people's mind when they wish to visit a country, unless it will impede their personal travels.
    Hungary is a lovely country to visit and I wouldn't see a reason not to visit because of their current government.

bubblypop wrote: »
    Politics does not come into most people's mind when they wish to visit a country, unless it will impede their personal travels.
    Hungary is a lovely country to visit and I wouldn't see a reason not to visit because of their current government.

I hear Myanmar is nice this time of year.

I hear Myanmar is nice this time of year.

There's a big difference in travelling to a country undergoing unrest (which would obvs impede personal travel) and a country where you may not agree with the current government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Dante wrote: »
    Saudi Arabia or Iran.

I lived in Saudi and was hijacked on a plane to Iran ...but ironically I would pay to go to both again

Israel is prob one I wouldn't go to though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

. You can see the same in Asia, or S.America, where the original cultures and way of life, managed to survive (somewhat) their colonial history, and retain the negatives that went before it.

That would depend on where in South America. Argentina, for instance, is almost entirely culturally European, as is much of Colombia.

Blaming "tribal conflicts" for South America's problems just seems like ill informed racist drivel.

I hear Kim is fond of the Irish whiskey too. I'd say its an interesting place to visit alright, as long as you don't go stealing any posters.

There's a big difference in travelling to a country undergoing unrest (which would obvs impede personal travel) and a country where you may not agree with the current government.

Give it a few weeks.

And no, frankly, there isn't much difference. Governments come and go, but State sanctioned deliberately designed anti-gay measures is something on a different level. People who shrug at this stuff needn't complain when it comes to their turn for a bit of the auld persecution.

Give it a few weeks.

And no, frankly, there isn't much difference. Governments come and go, but State sanctioned deliberately designed anti-gay measures is something on a different level. People who shrug at this stuff needn't complain when it comes to their turn for a bit of the auld persecution.

People who go on holidays are, in general, not worried about this stuff. My gay friend went to Budapest with their partner, general politics didn't worry them.

That's assuming you are a straight man. Plenty of countries that have no civil unrest are hostile to both gay people or women or both. If I was gay I wouldn't risk Orbans Hungary. It might turn out fine but if all you have to go off is what you read before you book you will probably pick somewhere else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Genre.. wrote: »
    Papa New Guinea

Anything I read or hear about the place is bad
    Went there for work for a week about 8 years ago.

It doesn't have much going for it.
    Proverty, high crime etc.
    I was in the capital and biggest city, Port Moresby, and there was nothing there for a visitor to do to be honest.

Also, BO is a huge problem, with all due respect, the people literally stink.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

At the time of going to PNG a colleague and I had a choice, one had to go to PNG, the other the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

We tossed a coin for it.
    At the time Port Moresby and Kinshasa were something like 2 and 3 on the worst cities to visit in the world list after Mogadishu.

I've been tempted. There's tours going from China, all under the guidance of Chinese governmental services, but... N.Korea seems more than a little too unpredictable. It would be very interesting though.

That would depend on where in South America. Argentina, for instance, is almost entirely culturally European, as is much of Colombia.

Blaming "tribal conflicts" for South America's problems just seems like ill informed racist drivel.

Sure it would be, since I didn't make any such claim... I was pointing to Africa when talking about tribal behavior. South America's problems are varied, and I wouldn't be inclined to dumb them down to something as simplistic as that. Nor would I for any continent/country for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

All of Africa
    All of Central and South America
    And probably a few of the ex-soviet countries too. Particularly the ones near the middle east.
    Oh yeah, and the Middle East too
    And some of those east Asian island type nations. Indonesia, for example would hold no appeal to me

Advertisement