Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 mobile pay as you go

• 11-06-2021 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭

I could always keep my unused credit with 3, but now they have changed my contact and I will lose my credit if I don't top up every month, because of this I am leaving 3,is there any way of getting a refund for my unused credit? I don't want to buy something with it, just a refund. I thought I read somewhere that you can get a refund but there was a 10euro admin fee. Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Regarding refunds, it's not implemented yet....
    https://notifications.three.ie/EECC/faqs
    https://notifications.three.ie/EECC/prepay/
    https://notifications.three.ie/EECC/prepay/1

I will lose my credit if I don't top up every month

Where does it say that? AFAIK, unused credit expires after 180 days.
    https://notifications.three.ie/EECC/prepay/2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

I'm also with 3, but billpay as I'm also purchasing the phone ( Samsung A 50 ) over 2 years, which expires in September. It works fine as long as you keep within the boundaries as per the contract, but step outside of them, even briefly and you will see your monthly subscription increase dramatically. How does it work out when the cintract term expires? Do you have to offically contact 3 to notifying them of yout intent to cut the direct debit or what? ( there are some stories of them continuing to extract the same amount each month even after the contract has finished) And which supplier would be the best sim free deal around after I finish my contract?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Murt10

Change your number over to 48.ie. It's €11 per month, and you're also not tied into a long contract that they won't release you from.

48.ie a wholly owned subsidiary of 3. It uses all 3's equipment, so if your reception now with 3 is good, then it will be the same with 48. You get 100mg of data (which is virtually unlimited) with 48. This is huge and there's no way any normal person will use any more than a small fraction of this.

It also free calls and texts to all networks.

I was previously on a 12 month bill pay contract with vodafone and they were robbing me blind. They were charging €35 pm for 10mg of data and also charged me an absolute arm and a leg for every single mg of data over that limit, that I used.

As I said, I was tied into Vodafone for a 12 month contract and they wouldn't let me leave early without paying off their contract in full. In fact, it was cheaper to take out a new additional sim with 48 with 100mg of data, than pay for even 1 or 2 extra mg of data with Vodafone. Once my terrible contract with Vodafone expired, I ported my number over to the 48 sim card that I had taken out in addition to my Vodafone contract.

I found Vodafone were a nightmare to deal with and would avoid if at all possible.

PS I have no other connection with 48 besides being a customer of theirs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,014 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Murt10 wrote: »
    Change your number over to 48.ie. It's €11 per month, and you're also not tied into a long contract that they won't release you from.

48.ie a wholly owned subsidiary of 3. It uses all 3's equipment, so if your reception now with 3 is good, then it will be the same with 48. You get 100mg of data (which is virtually unlimited) with 48. This is huge and there's no way any normal person will use any more than a small fraction of this.

I was previously on a 12 month bill pay contract with vodafone and they were robbing me blind. They were charging €35 pm for 10mg of data and also charged me an absolute arm and a leg for every single mg of data over that limit, that I used.

As I said, I was tied into Vodafone for a 12 month contract and they wouldn't let me leave early without paying off their contract in full. In fact, it was cheaper to take out a new additional sim with 48 with 100mg of data, than pay for even 1 or 2 extra mg of data with Vodafone. Once my terrible contract with Vodafone expired, I ported my number over to the 48 sim card that I had taken out in addition to my Vodafone contract.

I found Vodafone were a nightmare to deal with and would avoid if at all possible.

48 a wholly owned subsidiary of 3? Since when? I wasn't aware of this, understood its a private company, Europe wide and is a virtual network using 3"s network (piggy banking as it were)

I'm actually with go mo (€9.99 offer) it's now €14.99 I believe, have 3 broadband though albeit seriously considering go mo, even at €14.99 it's have what I'm paying 3, just got modem unlocked by 3.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Murt10 wrote: »

Thanks, thats what I'll go for as well. If it does not work for me fir any reason,as you point out, no problem as you are not locked into a 12 mth contract.
    Thanks again.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

horse7 wrote: »
    I could always keep my unused credit with 3, but now they have changed my contact and I will lose my credit if I don't top up every month, because of this I am leaving 3,is there any way of getting a refund for my unused credit? I don't want to buy something with it, just a refund. I thought I read somewhere that you can get a refund but there was a 10euro admin fee. Any advice?

Why did they change your deal?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Why does anyone use PAYG plans that cost more than about €15 when you have the likes of Gomo, 48 and clear that have rolling monthly contracts?

The longest you are locked in for is 31 days?

Why does anyone use PAYG plans that cost more than about €15 when you have the likes of Gomo, 48 and clear that have rolling monthly contracts?

Well I'm on PAYG with three like op, because I could spend credit on stuff.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Well I'm on PAYG with three like op, because I could spend credit on stuff.

Do you spend more than €15 a month (ie are you spending more money than you need to to get 'free credit')

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,014 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Mr.S wrote: »
    It always has been. 48 is operated from within the Three Ireland umbrella albeit with it's own team, branding etc. It's effectively just a subsidiary with it's own trading name.

The same as GoMo is to Eir etc.

I genuinely never know that, I see it was started by o2 originally, obviously 3 took them over etc. Thanks, I thought it was an independent company

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement

Do you spend more than €15 a month (ie are you spending more money than you need to to get 'free credit')

I do, yes. On Dropbox and Sky Sports Mobile. I basically get my phone plan for free.

I spend 20 a month which pays for (as well as my calls, data etc) Disney Plus, Discovery plus, Cloud Storage, Tivimate and other bits and bobs, so pretty happy with my deal at present.

...Gomo, 48 and clear that have rolling monthly contracts?

48 is PAYG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Mr.S wrote: »
    Yeah when 48 launched here in 2010 (or 2011?) the parent company was Telefonica Ireland (who ran under the brand name o2 here) and then later acquired by Hutchison / 3 Ireland.

They probably have dedicated teams, P&L's etc but at the end of the day, owned by the same people.

Why people pay €20 for Three PAYG when you can get the exact same deal / network for half the price with 48 is lost on me...!

Some of us have legacy €20 AYCE where you get to keep the entire €20.
    Essentially it's €20 for the Google play store every 28 days with carrier billing and free AYCE data, some texts and minutes thrown in for fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭horse7

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Regarding refunds, it's not implemented yet....
    https://notifications.three.ie/EECC/faqs
    https://notifications.three.ie/EECC/prepay/
    https://notifications.three.ie/EECC/prepay/1

Where does it say that? AFAIK, unused credit expires after 180 days.
    https://notifications.three.ie/EECC/prepay/2

Thanks, your right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Murt10

Dempo1 wrote: »
    48 a wholly owned subsidiary of 3? Since when? I wasn't aware of this, understood its a private company, Europe wide and is a virtual network using 3"s network (piggy banking as it were)

I thought i read it somewhere but can't find it on their website, All it says there is "Our network wasn’t broken, we’re powered by Three’s incredible coverage, but our plans needed fixing."

Maybe I misunderstood what I read at the time. (Edit - No. From reading other posts I was not mistaken)

BTW, something else in relation to Vodafone, I've just found something else. Switcher.ie Mobile Awards is an annual event designed to reward excellence in the telecoms industry.

On the SWITCHER.IE website, Vodafone is very noticeable by it's complete absence in recent years

In the 2021 awards it won nothing.
    in the 2020 awards it also won nothing
    In the 2019 awards it won 2 prizes
    In the 2018 awards it won 3 prizes

https://switcher.ie/mobiles/awards/

Well that tells you everything you need to know about Vodafone. It's customer satisfaction and service is going down the toilet. Steer clear!

Essentially it's €20 for the Google play store every 28 days with carrier billing and free AYCE data, some texts and minutes thrown in for fun.

That's probably the main reason for the 7.99 (now 10.99) offer from 48, 3 can't force anyone off legacy keep credit plans so 48 is a way to get rid of them "nicely".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭horse7

Are there any other providers with pay as you go that allow 180 days before top up is required?

Are there any other providers with pay as you go that allow 180 days before top up is required?

Vodafone, 5e every 6 months.....8 months if only incoming calls/text needed.

Advertisement