Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance for 1st time driver

• 12-06-2021 1:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Ashill5

Hi All,

My son is 23 and doing his theory test shortly, he is hoping to get a car, ford fiesta 07.
    My question is, for him to be able to get insurance, does he need need to get a car, 19 years or newer

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's lots of options depending on how much money you have to spend. The most sensible option would be to put him initially on your insurance and then when he passes the test get him to purchase his own car and insurance.

I pity those starting off now, the idiots running insurance companies are like the old foggies in the golf clubs not realising by having strict membership rules their club was on the operating table and dying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭treascon

Agree with what previous poster said but if he is adamant about getting his own car I would be looking at something less than 10 years old

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I'm getting a new car next month and giving my '07 Focus to my nephew. He's 23 and just applying for his permit. He tells me he has a quote of 1,300 with Liberty. I don't know what level of cover or what info he gave them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zg3409

I'm getting a new car next month and giving my '07 Focus to my nephew. He's 23 and just applying for his permit. He tells me he has a quote of 1,300 with Liberty. I don't know what level of cover or what info he gave them

Without a full licence the driver will need to be accompanied at all times, so would be better to use car owned by someone else. Typically first quote should be above 2000 euro.

Best way to get low quote is to pass test, drive a car with a tiny 1.0L engine and less than 10 years old. Get firm quite based on reg of vehicle before buying or giving anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

zg3409 wrote: »
    Without a full licence the driver will need to be accompanied at all times, so would be better to use car owned by someone else. Typically first quote should be above 2000 euro.

Generally, I would disagree with anyone buying a car on a learners permit. However, he's getting the car for nothing and his father can help him practice in the car he'll be sitting his test in. It's been serviced, good tyres and plenty of NCT left. If his 1,300 quote is genuine, he's doing the right thing

• Advertisement
Advertisement