Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swopping to SIRO provider

Options
  • 12-06-2021 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all. Long time no speak. So no sooner did I fix all my virgin issues do I wake up this morning to SIRO vans all over the place installing on my road. Pretty excited at the prospect.

Virgins price hike has probably come at a nice time to let me cancel from my contract six months early and give SIRO a spin.

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a provider, if there is already a thread with this info feel free to link.

Currently run my own TP link archer 8 router I’d like to keep since the WiFi from it is great.

Digiweb was one I was looking at. My dad has siro with sky and loves it so that might be an option. Vodafone I don’t know about. Saw a bit of mention of pure around here also.

I’ve been with the one ISP for so long all I ever know is I’m never dealing with Eir and that’s as far as my experience goes haha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭RoundCube

TheDoc wrote: »
    Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a provider, if there is already a thread with this info feel free to link.

Digiweb. Definitely not Sky nor Vodafone. Dunno about Pure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

RoundCube wrote: »
    Digiweb. Definitely not Sky nor Vodafone. Dunno about Pure.

Yes to PURE. You'll see a few threads around here that pure and other small providers use the BT backhaul whereas sky and vodafone use their own. Which is fine except when you get the occasional traffic shaping from them.
    I've PURE since last Nov and only experienced a few mins of downtime once.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭65535

SIRO providers change depending on your locality.
    Check out the SIRO website for a listing in your locality

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Thanks for the information folks. Hopefully it activates shortly, SIRO website still shows a coming shortly message, guess maybe it takes time for it to activate or brought onto the system.

PURE and digiweb look like good shouts. Digiweb was a crowd I was interested in looking at first as heard good things about them in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭zg3409

TheDoc wrote: »
    I wake up this morning to SIRO vans all over the place installing on my road.

It can take quite a while from when vans arrive and when service becomes live. They need to string fibre optic cable along all the poles and connect up and test a whole area. I assume it won't go live until the whole area is complete to prevent downtime during nearby installations. They need to run a fibre from an ESB pole to your house typically over air above ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

TheDriver wrote: »
    Yes to PURE. You'll see a few threads around here that pure and other small providers use the BT backhaul whereas sky and vodafone use their own. Which is fine except when you get the occasional traffic shaping from them.
    I've PURE since last Nov and only experienced a few mins of downtime once.

Sky are BT Ireland. VF have their own core.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,992 ✭✭✭CoBo55

zg3409 wrote: »
    It can take quite a while from when vans arrive and when service becomes live. They need to string fibre optic cable along all the poles and connect up and test a whole area. I assume it won't go live until the whole area is complete to prevent downtime during nearby installations. They need to run a fibre from an ESB pole to your house typically over air above ground.

Exactly, not yet available is showing for my address and they've been stringing fibre, scheduling power cuts for almost 2 years now:eek: Eir look actually efficient compared to this shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭tigger1962

I've been on Siro nearly a month now with digiweb. So far I find the service great. The biggest issue I had wit hate install was the involvement of usb networks as they had to run an overhead cable.this took almost 12 weeks!, now to be fair when they did arrive it was all done very efficiently and took less that 15 minutes. the final part of the install though took me a bit by surprise and they had to drill a new hole due to their procedures as opposed to using an existing hole! Anyway, my decision was between Pure and Digiweb.. I had past experience with Digiweb so I went with them. So far I'm getting very close to their advertised speeds and for me has been great compared to the other major provider in our area (virginmedia)

Advertisement