Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stobart Air gone.

Options
  • 12-06-2021 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

As title, it might be surprising to some but it will effect a fair few people from Donegal. The Donegal / Dublin route was popular enough and if you live in NW Donegal it was a great time saver for people heading to Dublin. I've heard of a few people using the service for cancer treatment travel too.

I just hope this isn't a sign of things to come. If Donegal looses the Scotland flights I think it would be curtains for Carrickfin as a commercial passenger airport. There is a big Donegal /Scottish contingent over in West donegal that use that service.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thats a huge blow to the county. As stated a lot of people use the service for flights to and from Scotland among other locations.

We can only hope that a new airline can take over and soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

The government have thrown the entire aviation industry under a bus with no real support so hardly a surprise unfortunately.

I used the route frequently pre-covid and it was a brilliant service, show up at CFN half an hour before take off, jump on the plane, order a coffee and by the time you have it drank you're in Dublin. Lets hope someone else takes it up

• Registered Users Posts: 14,297 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Used it myself countless times, but not for a couple of years now. From what I understand the covid checks on the Dublin side were crazy - people arriving from or going to carrickfinn were lumped in with everyone else and subject to checks, tests etc. I know a few people who would fly regularly enough that drove/took the bus in the past year due to the furore around dublin airport

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭water-man

I'll probably get slated for this however - Is it time to have a grown up conversation on the amount of regional airports in this country? Do Donegal, Kerry & even Cork need an airport? Air travel is one of the biggest polluters out there. The government need to be focusing on locating industry in all areas of the country not only Dublin. Then there would be less of a need for us all to be in our cars and planes trying to get down there. Ireland is a small country I'd like to see an increased focus on Shannon, Knock & Derry airports (yes close the rest) with improved access to these airports (heaven knows even a train connection - imagine being able to get on a train a Derry airport and being able to get to Galway or Cork in a decent time without stopping in every parish along the way).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

water-man wrote: »
    I'll probably get slated for this however - Is it time to have a grown up conversation on the amount of regional airports in this country? Do Donegal, Kerry & even Cork need an airport? Air travel is one of the biggest polluters out there. The government need to be focusing on locating industry in all areas of the country not only Dublin. Then there would be less of a need for us all to be in our cars and planes trying to get down there. Ireland is a small country I'd like to see an increased focus on Shannon, Knock & Derry airports (yes close the rest) with improved access to these airports (heaven knows even a train connection - imagine being able to get on a train a Derry airport and being able to get to Galway or Cork in a decent time without stopping in every parish along the way).
    You make good points and if Donegal had a rail connection, or even decent road links with public transport, to the rest of the country I would be tempted to agree with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭JoannieG

retalivity wrote: »
    Used it myself countless times, but not for a couple of years now. From what I understand the covid checks on the Dublin side were crazy - people arriving from or going to carrickfinn were lumped in with everyone else and subject to checks, tests etc. I know a few people who would fly regularly enough that drove/took the bus in the past year due to the furore around dublin airport

I used this flight several times during Covid and never had any issue at Dublin airport. At times, it was just me and the 2 or 3 other people on the flight walking through the airport to the exit. Eerie!

Advertisement