Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post sales text messages

Options
  • 12-06-2021 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭

I recently purchased a stool on amazon, 150eur nice leather one. It arrived, lovely, happy out, exactly what I'd hoped for.

Then I got a message, as attached. Fine, post sales person looking for me to rate them on Amazon, no big deal.

Woke up this morning to a text abouty WhatsApp profile photo, which is me and my infant daughter. I just really didn't like it, it's irked me and I don't know what to do about.

I suspect I'm to just ignore it and forget about it but it feels wrong.

https://pasteboard.co/K6iUQs7j.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Not sure if link above worked, see attached.

4 day gap between first exchange and that text sent last night, just feels so creepy!

Not sure if link above worked, see attached.

4 day gap between first exchange and that text sent last night, just feels so creepy!

Chinese number. Crap English from the start. What do you expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

JayZeus wrote: »
    Chinese number. Crap English from the start. What do you expect?

Yeah I know. I just needed somebody else to tell me that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Presume this is not from Amazon but the seller using their services. Serious misjudgement on their part to be sending messages like this. Definitely weird and creepy.....but I don't think anything sinister.
    Just ignore and forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

This is a well known scam or hustle with third parties on Amazon.
    Looking for 5 star reviews either through post purchase "refunds" or item sent you for free in return for 5 star review.
    Basically you can't trust the reviews on Amazon anymore as the system is being played by sellers to be in first page of search results.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/4/21423429/amazon-top-reviewers-uk-fraud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

ongarite wrote: »
    This is a well known scam or hustle with third parties on Amazon.
    Looking for 5 star reviews either through post purchase "refunds" or item sent you for free in return for 5 star review.
    Basically you can't trust the reviews on Amazon anymore as the system is being played by sellers to be in first page of search results.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/9/4/21423429/amazon-top-reviewers-uk-fraud

There are people who play the review system, but it's not hard to tell a fake from a real review. Any 5 star review with a single sentence should be ignored. I review products from Amazon. They send me free stuff, but I in no way let the free nature of the product affect my reviews. I reviewed 6 products yesterday. 3 of them were 3 star reviews. and then a 2, 4 and 5 star review. I make videos when I think it will be helpful. Photos suffice for many items and some items I just write a review if others have already sent in photos or videos.

Reviewers are culled if they are just putting everything down as 5 stars, because it damages the integrity of the system.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

There are people who play the review system, but it's not hard to tell a fake from a real review. Any 5 star review with a single sentence should be ignored. I review products from Amazon. They send me free stuff, but I in no way let the free nature of the product affect my reviews. I reviewed 6 products yesterday. 3 of them were 3 star reviews. and then a 2, 4 and 5 star review. I make videos when I think it will be helpful. Photos suffice for many items and some items I just write a review if others have already sent in photos or videos.

Reviewers are culled if they are just putting everything down as 5 stars, because it damages the integrity of the system.

Just curious; do you say in your reviews you've not paid for the item?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

kathleen37 wrote: »
    Just curious; do you say in your reviews you've not paid for the item?

It's already written in bold green, so I don't have to say it. It's pretty transparent, but there is always room for some abuse. They only invite people who have a good review history which other customers found helpful. I've been doing it a year now and got myself plenty of good stuff, but I have reviewed plenty of sh1te too and have blasted products for making false claims, or being unsafe.

Stay Free

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Presume this is not from Amazon but the seller using their services. Serious misjudgement on their part to be sending messages like this. Definitely weird and creepy.....but I don't think anything sinister.
    Just ignore and forget about it.

I'd actually report that to Amazon, they'd take stuff like that pretty seriously. It's super creepy, make sure to block them but I would definitely make Amazon aware of what is going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

It's a bit creepy alright, but I doubt intentionally so.

I would report to Amazon though. You're not supposed to contact people outside of their channels.

They're also NOT "the customer service of Amazon" so that's misrepresentation of who they are if they're just a 3rd party seller.

However, it also shows why you shouldn't user personal images as your WhatsApp profile image.

Anyone who has your phone number can see them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭ongarite

I see Amazon in US have pulled all products from Aukey, Mpow, Ravpower & Taotronics.
    Paid for 5 star reviews, free voucher for price of item purchased & refunds are behind losing access to Amazon storefront.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

It's very hard to report these sellers to Amazon. I have several emails asking me to buy products and leave a 5* review in return for a full refund. How do you forward such emails to Amazon.co.uk?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    It's very hard to report these sellers to Amazon. I have several emails asking me to buy products and leave a 5* review in return for a full refund. How do you forward such emails to Amazon.co.uk?

I got on to chat and they reported it to the right department. I don't know how interested they were though.

Advertisement