Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Jam

Options
  • 13-06-2021 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭

I've used the following recipe to make strawberry jam, which works pretty well:
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/strawberry-jam

I'd like to branch out and try to make different flavour jams though. Does anyone know if I can just substitute the strawberries for the same weight of any another fruit(s)? Or is a slightly different approach needed depending on the fruit?

If anyone has any tips or recipes, that would be great, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

woodchuck wrote: »
    .... Does anyone know if I can just substitute the strawberries for the same weight of any another fruit(s)? Or is a slightly different approach needed depending on the fruit? ....

Depends on the fruit that you have in mind. Pectin is usually relied on to get homemade jam to set. There is very little pectin in strawberries. Blackcurrants and gooseberries, for example, would usually have a high pectin content.
    Best to look around for recipes for whatever fruit you have in mind.

Anyone know : Is 'jam sugar' sugar with pectin added ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

0lddog wrote: »
    Anyone know : Is 'jam sugar' sugar with pectin added ?

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AndyWhite1

Does anyone know if I can just substitute the strawberries for the same weight of any another fruit(s)?

yep, strawberries sound good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

This site is old-fashioned but has great tips and recipes for jams and jellies, I've used it a lot:

https://www.allotment-garden.org/recipe/jam-jellies-marmalade/

Some fruits have lots of pectin so you don't need to add any. For fruits that don't you'll need to use jam sugar, or normal sugar and add pectin. Jellies are easy to make too, there's less preparation involved though they need to strain overnight.

I haven't made jam or jelly in the past couple of years, must do it again soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Another quick easy recipe, is Raspberry jam, equal quantities of fruit and granulated sugar, ( if raspberry's very sweet, use less sugar) cook raspberry's for 3/4 mins, until juices begin to run, add sugar, stir over low heat till sugar fully dissolved. bring to boil, test for set after 5 mins, and away you go:)

I tend never to use jam sugar, or the bought pectin, as that's the way I was shown, many moons ago :o Rule of thumb is under ripe fruit has a higher pectin. I use the juice of cooking apples or lemon as a natural pectin.

off the top of my head. high pectin fruit: cooking apples. redcurrants, blackcurrants plums, damsons, citrus fruit.
    low pectin strawberry's, blackberry's, cherries.

Love making jams and jellies. enjoy playing around with fruits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Be a bit careful with jam sugar , it does have quite a bit of pectin in it - and can make your jam very set - which is fine if you like that - not so great if you want it a little more soft / or runny ,
    Using a couple of plum stones when making your jam ( break them with a hammer if possible ) is a good way to get an extra " bit of set "..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Markcheese wrote: »
    Be a bit careful with jam sugar , it does have quite a bit of pectin in it - and can make your jam very set - which is fine if you like that - not so great if you want it a little more soft / or runny ,
    Using a couple of plum stones when making your jam ( break them with a hammer if possible ) is a good way to get an extra " bit of set "..

Mrs Beer collects lemon pips in the freezer for their pectin

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Thanks for all the tips guys, a lot of food for thought there!

I'd use jam sugar when making strawberry jam and it sets well (but not too well set). Interesting that strawberries are low in pectin though, so I might just try granulated sugar with other fruits with a higher pectin content. Might give raspberry jam a go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

.... Might give raspberry jam a go :)

Extract from 'Domestic Preservation of Fruit and Veg' ( HMSO ) WWII era :D

Advertisement