Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England v Croatia - Euro 2020 - 13/06/21 - Group D - Match Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Keeper lucky it didn't rebound in off him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,490 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The English young lads look sharp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Phillips having a crack at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Nice start to this game. England's attack looking dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Despite being short a couple of their best players this looks pretty dominant from England so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Why are the booing Modric?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Referee keeps getting in the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

They just boo everything, some teams have fans that just boo the opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,700 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Did Lovren retire from international football or just not make the squad at all?

• Advertisement

Cracking match so far. England look fantastic, and I’d forgotten how much fans add to the occasion. Also apparent to me that Ireland have no business being at this tournament unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Wouldn't trust Pickford as far as I can throw him.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Hate the fans. But is a joy to watch this English team . Their team now a reflection of the premiership style as opposed to an English Style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

I dont know and I would be confident that if you were to ask many of the 'fans' that are dong the booing, they would not know either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

ArtyM wrote: »
    I dont know and I would be confident that if you were to ask many of the 'fans' that are dong the booing, they would not know either.

Could be a spurs thing.

ArtyM wrote: »

He said something about arrogance, it was more in relation to English media than the team, he even clarified that fact, but football fans aren't known for nuance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Did Lovren retire from international football or just not make the squad at all?

Nursing an injury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Didnt make match day squad but is in the 26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,356 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

They booed the anthem so.no surprise they're trying to get on the oppositions backs by booing them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Cracking match so far. England look fantastic, and I’d forgotten how much fans add to the occasion. Also apparent to me that Ireland have no business being at this tournament unfortunately.
    Cracking? I've just seen a neighbour painting, now that was exciting! Match has had its moments but fairly pedestrian at times.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Kalvin Phillips looking the part so far.

Only a handful of caps but likely to be a key player for them, his advanced position and ability to read the game, press, has pinned Croatia back, it will be interesting to see how Croatia work around it as the game progresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,773 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Phillips is being allowed free reign to foul as he sees fit by the ref. He's missing some blatant fouls, or rather just ignoring them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Modric mentioned the fact that having some countries having home games with a crowd gives them an unfair advantage. I don'g think he's wrong but that could be enough reason for some people to boo him.

I can nver understand how players looking across the line get caught offside like Kane did there.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Cracking? I've just seen a neighbour painting, now that was exciting! Match has had its moments but fairly pedestrian at times.

I’m enjoying it anyway. Enjoy the painting.

DM_7 wrote: »

He's kicking them about the place. That's not looking the part

England playing some great stuff in fairness. great movement up top. Mount is a lovely player.

DM_7 wrote: »

Only a handful of caps but likely to be a key player for them, his advanced position and ability to read the game, press, has pinned Croatia back, it will be interesting to see how Croatia work around it as the game progresses.

One of the players who could be playing for Ireland...

Rice
    Kane
    Phillips
    Grealish

Ah well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Croatia haven't had a sniff so far, England playing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,856 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Croatia coming into it now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I’m a biased Villa fan but this game could be set up for a super sub like Grealish to do something special when the Croatian side is tiring in the second half. That said the first 15m suggested England have enough to get things done earlier but Croatia are looking more assured as the half goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

One of the players who could be playing for Ireland...

Rice
    Kane
    Phillips
    Grealish

Ah well...

It's grand sure we will have a load of Africans and South Americans playing for us someday!

This ref is drunk.
    Modric was taken out. Sterling took another player our. Phillips is tripping anyone who passes him and he's blowing a foul if an English player falls over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,333 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Looking at the Croations in the black jerseys - must be roasting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,053 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

ShaneU wrote:
    Trippier at left back Mings - total liability, nasty player Phillips - limited player, two holding midfielders? Sterling - terrible this season
    While I'm not disagreeing fully with you I got to ask who is a better option than Mings?
    And as much as I don't think Trippier should be starting he was England's best player in the 2018 World Cup so it's understandable that the coach would want to pick him but I do think that Shaw is a better option.
    I'd say Phillips is in there to deal with Modric which is understandable even if I wouldn't do it personally.
    Agree on Sterling completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,947 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I’m a biased Villa fan but this game could be set up for a super sub like Grealish to do something special when the Croatian side is tiring in the second half. That said the first 15m suggested England have enough to get things done earlier but Croatia are looking more assured as the half goes on.

Should have started over Sterling in the first place
    Mad decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

2 fouls in quick succession that the referee failed to penalize. The BBC commentators showing clear bias, saying they weren't fouls and the referee was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

sligeach wrote: »
    2 fouls in quick succession that the referee failed to penalize. The BBC commentators showing clear bias, saying they weren't fouls and the referee was great.

What do you expect look who's playing sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

What’s the bets Pickford does a Packie Bonner at some stage today? Croatia need to have a few shots to test him though.

I'd watch on a different channel if you don't want bias. They're the national broadcaster and I'd expect them to be a bit biased.

• Advertisement

Walker is a disaster :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

ShaneU wrote: »
    Should have started over Sterling in the first place
    Mad decision

SouthGate is a pragmatist but it could work out for him if Sterling draws a blank and then he comes on and brings them to life.

England have regressed the more the half has gone on, need to get Mount, Kane & Fodden on the ball more and stop giving modric as much yime on it as he could start dictating things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Southgate with a shocking lineup.

Few times already Foden has lost the LB in behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,358 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

South Gate is a pragmatist but it could work out for him if Sterling draws a blank and then he comes on and brings them to life.

England have regressed the more the half has gone on, need to get Mount, Kane & Fidel on the ball more and stop giving modric as much yime on it as he could start dictating things.

Fidel Castro?

need to get Mount, Kane & Fidel on the ball more...

If they think taking the knee is Marxist, surely playing Fidel Castro would drive them nuts...

• Advertisement

England have faded away quite a bit here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'd watch on a different channel if you don't want bias. They're the national broadcaster and I'd expect them to be a bit biased.

Not good enough for me. There's a difference between being biased and just failing to report the truth.

I can just never watch British media with international tournaments especially with England games.
    Bland , biased and no proper insight at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Still better than listening to Kenny Cunningham.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Walker is a disaster :pac:

He’s certainly no Des Walker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Both teams extremely cagey here, neither wants to lose.

• Advertisement
Advertisement