Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in an area with a high immigrant population- A Problem?

Options
  • 13-06-2021 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am in the process of buying a house in a new development in Dublin. It is in a pretty standard middle class area. We were chatting to the estate agent, who mentioned in passing that about half of those purchasing in the development were not born in Ireland. All from Eastern Europe and India (no English, Western Europeans, or Africans at all which seems strange) I've already met my future Indian neighbours who seem so nice.

It got me thinking though, the only two other areas that I know of that have high immigrant population are Tyrrelstown/Blanchardstown and Adamstown. Neither of which I would consider particularly nice areas. Does the high immigrant populations in these areas somehow create some kind of issue? Or is it pure coincidence?

I'm not talking about living next door to immigrants or anything like that, more so that they might not have good social connections etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,760 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I don't think eastern Europeans buy houses in big numbers, they tend to rent. Not one I work with has anyway. They generally plan to return home.

But for years now Indians have been buying property in New build areas. They're grand, they're very educated and work good jobs in medicine and IT. Don't cause trouble as far as I can see. Wouldn't bother me with either of those demographics, they all work hard and have pride in their areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

DubLad69 wrote: »
    We were chatting to the estate agent, who mentioned in passing that about half of those purchasing in the development were not born in Ireland. All from Eastern Europe and India (no English, Western Europeans, or Africans at all which seems strange) I've already met my future Indian neighbours who seem so nice.

You've basically answered your own question here, unless the estate agent was completely useless he wouldn't bring up something that is a negative, probably why he talked about the demographics involved too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,320 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

All of Dublin is full of immigrants; up until the 1990s it was culchies (like me), now there is more diversity. The one difference is the proportion of arseholes doesn’t change whether the people have funny accents, speak foreign languages or have different coloured skins!

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

I live in a new estate in Adamstown and there are zero issues in my and the neighbouring estates. The majority of my neighbours are from India and various EU countries. Very nice folks and great neighbours. All those people are highly educated and just want to live normal lives.

In the old part (built in 2006/2007) there a handful troublemakers living in houses bought by the council (they are a mix of the standard Dublin tracksuit scummers, travellers and Nigerian refugees). I personally have only been verbally pestered by some Irish lippy tracksuit scummers in front of the local shop but they are almost everywhere in Dublin.

Would I buy here again? Yes.
    Is this for everybody? If you prefer an area where the Irish are the majority of the people then probably not. Again this has nothing to do with anti-social behaviour or crime. It's just not everybodies cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

Does the high immigrant populations in these areas somehow create some kind of issue? Or is it pure coincidence?

Immigrant populations are rarely the cause of social issues, its home grown "grey sweatpants - no adult role-model" that are the demographic to avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

If they are buying the houses then there'll be no issue with them, other than the usual petty stuff you get with neighbours, no matter where they come from. I'd rather live beside Poles and Indians who paid for their place than my fellow Irish who have been moved there as they've been causing too much trouble elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

That estate agent sounds very very unprofessional. They should not be disclosing any information about the identities of purchasers. Also some may be investors. I'd be looking at reporting the EA rather than worrying about stereotypes and generalisations about people who are ultimately paying a six figure sum, the same as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

The only people I see causing problems in my area are uneducated and unemployable Irish. Their kids will be even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭screamer

Trouble wise, I think you’ll be grand. However in places where there are large cohorts of one nationality, integration will be the issue, they’ll stick to their own much like Irish emigrants to other countries. Not sure how that’ll work for neighbourliness, but I’d rather that than our own anti social all for free scummers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Caranica wrote: »
    That estate agent sounds very very unprofessional. They should not be disclosing any information about the identities of purchasers. Also some may be investors. I'd be looking at reporting the EA rather than worrying about stereotypes and generalisations about people who are ultimately paying a six figure sum, the same as you.

Ehh, they should be disclosing info about the neighbours. You're buying into a neighbourhood, not just a house.

I want to know if a street/estate that I'm buying in is mostly owner occupied, or if 80% of it is been bought up in bulk by some REIT, some college housing scheme or the council.

They're not giving out personal info on the other buyers, they're giving out general info. Nothing wrong with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Hi all,

I am in the process of buying a house in a new development in Dublin. It is in a pretty standard middle class area. We were chatting to the estate agent, who mentioned in passing that about half of those purchasing in the development were not born in Ireland. All from Eastern Europe and India (no English, Western Europeans, or Africans at all which seems strange) I've already met my future Indian neighbours who seem so nice.

It got me thinking though, the only two other areas that I know of that have high immigrant population are Tyrrelstown/Blanchardstown and Adamstown. Neither of which I would consider particularly nice areas. Does the high immigrant populations in these areas somehow create some kind of issue? Or is it pure coincidence?

I'm not talking about living next door to immigrants or anything like that, more so that they might not have good social connections etc

Blanchardstown was a dump long before we ever han an immigrant. Immigrants don't make an area s**t it's already that way so the usually poor immigrants move there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Hamachi

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Blanchardstown was a dump long before we ever han an immigrant. Immigrants don't make an area s**t it's already that way so the usually poor immigrants move there.

You’ve clearly never lived in Blanchardstown. The older parts near the village like Roselawn are lovely and quite desirable. Some of the newer developments, built in the last two decades, less so.

OP, if your future immigrant neighbors are gainfully employed, you’ll likely have few issues. The only downside is that you may have little or nothing in common with them.

I live in one of those hyper diverse areas you’ve mentioned above. The Irish neighbors tend to know each other and mix quite a bit. The immigrants tend to gravitate towards others of their own ethnicity.

I’m actually back in my own hometown of ~8K people this week for family reasons. It’s lovely to stroll around chatting to the neighbors and saying hello to strangers when out for a jog. That aspect is very much missing in my diverse West Dublin neighborhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Hamachi wrote: »
    You’ve clearly never lived in Blanchardstown. The older parts near the village like Roselawn are lovely and quite desirable. Some of the newer developments, built in the last two decades, less so.

OP, if your future immigrant neighbors are gainfully employed, you’ll likely have few issues. The only downside is that you may have little or nothing in common with them.

I live in one of those hyper diverse areas you’ve mentioned above. The Irish neighbors tend to know each other and mix quite a bit. The immigrants tend to gravitate towards others of their own ethnicity.

I’m actually back in my own hometown of ~8K people this week for family reasons. It’s lovely to stroll around chatting to the neighbors and saying hello to strangers when out for a jog. That aspect is very much missing in my diverse West Dublin neighborhood.

Depends on what you are looking for I suppose. I find the level of nosiness and the sense of ownership people seem to think they have over you in a typical Irish 8k town to be the worst possible type of neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

I rented in Blanchardstown years ago. An Indian family lived in the apartment downstairs...the smell of curry as I left for work in the morning always gave me pangs for lamb rogan josh.

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Depends on what you are looking for I suppose. I find the level of nosiness and the sense of ownership people seem to think they have over you in a typical Irish 8k town to be the worst possible type of neighbour.

Yep. As you say, it could become suffocating after a while. Horses for courses I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Maybe a problem if you're a racist.

Honestly, the ethnic background of the locals would never even cross my mind when buying a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭mcgragger

Honestly, the ethnic background of the locals would never even cross my mind when buying a house.

What if they are racist? Which they are in some areas?
    You'd be finding out very quickly you made a big mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I've lived in one of those newer developments for 17 years and it's lovely and quite desirable. With one exception, properties tend to sell in days rather than weeks or months. The nationality of owners has zero relevance.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭mcgragger

<SNIP>

Caranica wrote: »
    I've lived in one of those newer developments for 17 years and it's lovely and quite desirable. With one exception, properties tend to sell in days rather than weeks or months. The nationality of owners has zero relevance.

Which is why I said ‘some’ before you start getting your panties in a twist.

Presumably you also have an issue with poster who labelled the entire Blanch area a ****hole?

• Advertisement

Just curious, do you think the estate agent who discussed this topic with the OP is a racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 merikahan

I think I know which estate you are talking about and the EA told me same about 50% non Irish.

I’ve met few of the neighbors and all of them are highly qualified and working with Google, Facebook etc and really nice people.

Last year in March, I got Covid after returning from Spain and my Indian neighbor took care of me even though I hardly knew him. He got me groceries and left at the apartment’s door and also cooked food for me ( when everything was shut and everyone was scared).

You’ll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭you2008

It's so funny no one mentioned Chinese - PS I am :)
    the-chinese-a-great-bunch-of-lads.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

Everyone in the country knows how difficult it is to buy a house we all know of cases where adults are living with parents and family to save deposit. I would imagine people who have moved to a new country and can get to the stage where they can buy a house would be great neighbours to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Hi all,
    Does the high immigrant populations in these areas somehow create some kind of issue? Or is it pure coincidence?

It's not a coincidence, but the arrow of causation points the other way. Cheaper, less-well-serviced areas are more attractive to immigrant populations who might have less purchasing power (obviously this is a generalisation). The lack of amenities lead to social issues in those areas, combined with ghettoisation effects and lots of young families (mostly "native Irish"). More established areas have more amenities, tend to have more owner-occupiers and older demographics - i.e. a "settled area".

Personally I would see it as a net positive, except for your EA who sounds like a knob

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PeRATENi

Do you mind telling us the name of the development? I am Indian and about to pull the trigger on a property as well, just want to make sure i steer clear from the estate you are talking about and do my part :)

FWIW i think for a big investment like buying a house, you have every right to question, raise concerns, I wouldn't want to live anywhere i wasn't happy either, Good Luck !
    Hi all,

It really is shocking to think that people would worry about the nationalities of the persons buying houses in the same estate.
    Cannot understand why this could be a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I live in an area of Dublin with a very ethnically diverse population. And its great! Active GAA club, active basketball club, dance lessons, etc with lots of members of different ethnicities and I have not encountered any social problems.

bubblypop wrote: »
    It really is shocking to think that people would worry about the nationalities of the persons buying houses in the same estate.
    Cannot understand why this could be a problem

What’s your take on the estate agent sharing this information with the OP?

Do you think it was a benign slip of the tongue? Or is it something, that in his professional experience, homebuyers tend to query?

• Advertisement

What’s your take on the estate agent sharing this information with the OP?

Do you think it was a benign slip of the tongue? Or is it something, that in his professional experience, homebuyers tend to query?

I'm not sure why it would even come into his head to mention it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement