Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in an area with a high immigrant population- A Problem?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Hamachi

bubblypop wrote: »
    I'm not sure why it would even come into his head to mention it.

Whatever your perspective, I think everybody posting on this forum can agree that house prices in Dublin are outrageous. I suspect everybody will be paying minimum 350K for their desired property. In many cases, far more than this.

It’s one of the most crucial decisions you’ll take in your life. The way I see this is that it’s another piece of information, another data point that helps inform your decision. How that information is processed, depends on the individual. For some like yourself, it’s irrelevant. That’s totally fine; that’s your perspective. However, it is likely something that others consider when making their purchase. I suspect that the number of buyers, for whom this is a factor, is stat-sig, which is why the EA raised it.

Just for a little perspective on this, I have an Indian colleague who has told us that some Indians post on community-oriented forums, inquiring as to where the greatest concentrations of Indians live in Dublin. It’s a factor in their decision-making when purchasing. The Hansfield section of Ongar is particularly popular, as a quick drive through the area confirms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I think it is better to buy a second hand house in an established area than in a new build area. This is so no matter what the demographics of the neighbours. The area is established, facilities will be available and no issues like pyrite, mica of fire safety to be concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Threads like this remind why it is so important that we buy and build more social housing in new and existing estates, especially next to the OP.

There is a horrible and sinister undertone to this thread. I know I won't get much support, but it's something about Ireland that really has to change. I personally welcome all socioeconomic profiles and nationalities. Go me eh. Jesus Christ on the cross levitating above you all. No. Far from it. Real racism and discrimination is the subtle sh't like this in this post and thread, and it absolutely has to stop.

We are not going down the route of gated communities. Property rights are already over the top in this country as it is.

myshirt wrote: »
    There is a horrible and sinister undertone to this thread. I know I won't get much support, but it's something about Ireland that really has to change. I personally welcome all socioeconomic profiles and nationalities. Go me eh. Jesus Christ on the cross levitating above you all. No. Far from it. Real racism and discrimination is the subtle sh't like this in this post and thread, and it absolutely has to stop.

Do you think this is unique to Ireland? It’s not. I used to own property in an inner suburb of a major city on the continent. This city is far more diverse than Dublin. ~40% of the population are of migration background.

Before I purchased, I was advised by the agent in pretty specific detail as to the demographic make-up of the area. Ireland is playing catch-up in this regard. It’s been a factor in property purchasing decisions in other developed nations for decades.

Hamachi wrote: »
    Do you think this is unique to Ireland? It’s not. I used to own property in an inner suburb of a major city on the continent. This city is far more diverse than Dublin. ~40% of the population are of migration background.

Before I purchased, I was advised by the agent in pretty specific detail as to the demographic make-up of the area. Ireland is playing catch-up in this regard. It’s been a factor in property purchasing decisions in other developed nations for decades.

So, other countries are racist, Ireland should be too.......
    Mmmmmmm, sounds great!

• Advertisement

So, other countries are racist, Ireland should be too.......
    Mmmmmmm, sounds great!

Interesting. Indian people seeking out neighborhoods with a higher concentration of other Indians. Chinatowns. Little Vietnams.

Do you see those types of enclaves as racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

Nationality or ethnicity would not matter one whit to me, what would matter is whether the majority of the people living there were employed in some capacity. Whether it's an Indian doctor, Polish builder, African IT professional, I don't care. What I would care about are people in the area where I will be spending a sh!t ton of money to live, lazing about all day on the dole with nothing to do except be loud and cause trouble. PLENTY of Irish people fall into that category. I could rather live in an area full of foreign professionals/grafters than Irish Anto's. You might miss a bit of Irish banter over the fence, but you might have a more peaceful life overall.

Hamachi wrote: »
    Interesting. Indian people seeking out neighborhoods with a higher concentration of other Indians. Chinatowns. Little Vietnams.

Do you see those types of enclaves as racist?

No. Do you?

No. Do you?

Not in the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭enricoh

Threads like this remind why it is so important that we buy and build more social housing in new and existing estates, especially next to the OP.

We are not going down the route of gated communities. Property rights are already over the top in this country as it is.

Go you is right. I've a mate from Luton and he said there is areas there that he wouldn't be allowed move into as he isn't Muslim.
    If I was moving to certain parts of Belfast, Portadown etc I'd be whispering in the estate agents ear whether my accent etc may be an issue for some locals!
    Real life trump's woke points everyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Bravo!! There's overt and covert racism on this thread, so so wrong.

Caranica wrote: »
    Bravo!! There's overt and covert racism on this thread, so so wrong.

I agree. The poster you quoted appears to suggest that there is a correlation between social housing and the preponderance of immigrants in a neighborhood.

Thanks for highlighting that racist thinking. So, so wrong indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

"Property rights are already over the top in this country as it is "

Please elaborate as to what you would like done to erode the current level of Property rights here?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,168 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I know a couple who bought in an estate filled with English people and they say it was grand... It was in Kent though so that's probably a bad example

• Registered Users Posts: 68,778 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I think this thread, and topic, has long since run its course. I had no moderation tools access yesterday or it would have been closed then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement