Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching between AppleIDs

Options
  • 13-06-2021 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

AppleTV can be used to switch between accounts.

I have a US and U.K. iTunes accounts for for some TV shows.

A person cannot use iTunes for different accounts on an iPhone or iPad. You have to sign over for 90 days.

But is it the same for the TV app? Can I switch AppleIDs like on the AppleTV or is it locked into one account the same as iTunes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You can set up multiple accounts on the Apple TV and switch at will (no 90 day restriction)

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/guide/tv/atvb0753b37d/tvos

So you can switch between two (or more) accounts for downloading Apps and movies.

It also segregates the content recommendations and Up Next lists per account in Apple TV +, Movies, Apple Music and Apple Arcade. Game Center data is segregated by account too.

However, it's a bit half baked, because it's not like full account switching on the Mac. You can't configure the apps on the home screen or general device preferences per account (so if you delete an app on one account, it gets deleted on the others too).

It also doesn't affect the iCloud account that the Apple TV is signed into. You have to manually sign out of one iCloud account and into another separately to account switching if you want to view the other user's photos, etc.

Also apps like Netflix, Disney + etc do their own thing with regards to profiles and account switching, and these aren't automatically linked to the Apple account that the Apple TV is using at any given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

You can set up multiple accounts on the Apple TV and switch at will (no 90 day restriction)

https://support.apple.com/en-ie/guide/tv/atvb0753b37d/tvos

So you can switch between two (or more) accounts for downloading Apps and movies.

It also segregates the content recommendations and Up Next lists per account in Apple TV +, Movies, Apple Music and Apple Arcade. Game Center data is segregated by account too.

However, it's a bit half baked, because it's not like full account switching on the Mac. You can't configure the apps on the home screen or general device preferences per account (so if you delete an app on one account, it gets deleted on the others too).

It also doesn't affect the iCloud account that the Apple TV is signed into. You have to manually sign out of one iCloud account and into another separately to account switching if you want to view the other user's photos, etc.

Also apps like Netflix, Disney + etc do their own thing with regards to profiles and account switching, and these aren't automatically linked to the Apple account that the Apple TV is using at any given time.

Thank you for responding but I already knew this about AppleTV - I was asking about iPhone and iPad but I reread my post and I see that I did not that clear at all and that the pair is a mess.

I will try explain better.

I have Irish, US and U.K. AppeIDs and I switch easily between them on AppleTV.

However I am currently without my AppleTV but like to keep watching my US shows on iTunes.

I know that I cannot stream or download them on iTunes my iPhone unless I switch over for 90 days.

But I was wondering if the same applies to the TV app? Could I sign my iPhone into my US account and continue watching on the TV app and keep switching between accounts?

Or would I still need to sign over for 90 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Have you an old iPod touch that you test with? (Sorry I don't know the actual answer but would also be interested to find out).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Have you an old iPod touch that you test with? (Sorry I don't know the actual answer but would also be interested to find out).

No I don’t unfortunately.

I am hesitant to just try it on my iPhone because I don’t know if it will warn me first - also one time on an older iPhone I accidentally agreed to the 90 switch.

:p

Advertisement